Be 'That Guy' at the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor

Walt Disney World Resort has declared 2013 a Monsterous Summer to celebrate the June 21 release of the Disney-Pixar animated feature, "Monsters University." To honor his alma mater, everyone's favorite one-eyed MC has instructed his gang at the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor to come up with some brand new jokes to delight Magic Kingdom guests and gather the laughs to power Monstropolis.

Be 'That Guy' at the Monsters Inc. Laugh FloorBe 'That Guy' at the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor

Located in Tomorrowland, the Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor opened April 2, 2007 where it replaced the Circle-Vision attraction The Timekeeper. As part of the "Year of a Million Dreams" featured a complete redesign of the space, establishing 400 seat main theater and screen that utilized digital puppetry techniques that allows guests to interact and tell jokes in real-time with a computer-animated cast from "Monsters, Inc."

Set in Monstropolis after the Monsters Inc movie, the city is now running on safe, clean "laugh power." To secure a constant supply of giggles Mike Wazowski has opened up Monstropolis' first comedy club and you get to join in on the fun. In fact during the pre-show guests can use their cellular telephones to text in jokes that just might wind up in the comedians material.

Your Joke Could be Used In The ShowYour Joke Could be Used In The Show

This hilarious interactive theater experience features movie hero Mike Wazowski, as the Monster-of-Ceremonies. Mike recruits two comedian wannabes whose slapstick humor delights and engages audiences. Real actors perform voices behind a large digital screen, while computer-rendered monsters appear to the audience. Multiple overhead camera allow the actors to watch and interact with the audience for a uniquely targeted performance every time.

Mike Wazowski Hosts This Unique ShowMike Wazowski Hosts This Unique Show

The show is largely unscripted by nature, but guests have been treated to several running gags that always seem to delight. One of the best known is to focus attention on a single guest, who soon becomes known as "that guy" and gets used in the punch line of many a good natured joke. At the end of the show, "that guy" gets a fun sticker to wear for the rest of the day.

Monsters on Screen Are Voiced by Actors Off StageMonsters on Screen Are Voiced by Actors Off Stage

The Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor show is great fun for visitors of all ages, and lasts about 15 minutes. After it's opening in 2007 it quickly became a "must do" for many Walt Disney World Guests. In 2008, the attraction was honored for Outstanding Visual Effects with a nomination in a Special Venue Project by the Visual Effects Society.

Thanks so much to one of my favorite Creative Commons Photographers Loren Javier for the use of her images. Do you make sure to stop by the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor while you're in the Magic Kingdom? Have you been 'that guy'? Has Mike used your joke? Leave a comment and tell us what you love about this fun, interactive Tomorrowland attraction.

Amy W. wrote on Tue, 05/07/2013 - 11:59:

Amy W.'s picture

Absolutely one of my favorite attractions at MK. Been dragging everybody that I go with to WDW and usually try to go multiple times a trip. Kills me. Best experience though had to be the marriage proposal. When they asked if anybody had a joke, they picked a couple, put them on screen and the guy dropped to one knee and asked his girlfriend to marry him. So cute. Cast members came out with the Mickey Ears and buttons. It was the cutest.

Kristen K. wrote on Tue, 05/07/2013 - 12:21:

How cool! I would have loved to see that!

Sandra wrote on Tue, 05/07/2013 - 13:12:

Sandra's picture

LOVE LOVE LOVE this attraction. We went twice in the last trip and the show was completely different both times. My husband wasn't "that guy" but did get featured on screen because of a "Mahna Mahna" tshirt he was wearing...my kids LOVED it.

Stephanie B wrote on Tue, 05/07/2013 - 13:23:

Stephanie B's picture

My husband has been "that guy" twice! It's great fun!

Matthew wrote on Tue, 05/07/2013 - 13:25:

Matthew's picture

My wife and I took our 4 daughters to Disney spring break 2012. Before we went to Monsters Inc I got a haircut at the barber shop. The barber put pixie dust in my hair and my girls thought that was hilarious. When we got to Monsters we sat in the back. When the show began and they were looking for people they announced how about that guy in the back with the stuff in his hair. My girls went crazy with laughter and I loved it as well. Great memory of our first family Disney trip.

Doyouwanna wrote on Tue, 05/07/2013 - 14:15:

Doyouwanna's picture

we loved this one! my 7 year old was cracking up. very underrated attraction!

Phil wrote on Tue, 05/07/2013 - 16:13:

Phil's picture

I have been That Guy. If you are having fun with it and in on the joke, they'll stick with you. I've seen times when the first That Guy was obviously not in on it, so they picked somebody else to go with.

I have noticed that the shows tend to be a little more "free" in the evenings. I don't know why, but it just seems like they stick to the script a little less as the day goes on. That's when it it can go from "that was amusing" to "OW MY SIDES HURT."

We love the Laugh Floor.

Rich F wrote on Tue, 05/07/2013 - 17:08:

Rich F's picture

This is a very fun experience. My wife has had jokes retold by the characters and one time I 'picked' to be Mike!!

Tina wrote on Tue, 05/07/2013 - 18:04:

Tina's picture

My family loves this attraction. We went in March and my 10 year old daughter submitted this joke that was used in the show: Why did the snail paint an S on his car? He wanted to hear people say, "Look at that s-car go (escargot)!" The audience groaned. She loved it!

JeffC wrote on Tue, 05/07/2013 - 19:08:

This is a fun one. As an attention hog, I would love to be that guy! Haha!

JoAnn C wrote on Wed, 05/08/2013 - 01:04:

JoAnn C's picture

Love this show.

My friend's husband was "that guy" when they went in November.

Jess wrote on Wed, 05/08/2013 - 01:05:

Jess's picture

We love the laugh floor... It amazes me how well they can do the voices of the characters... This last time we were there they had changed the bit up some and the new bit was even funnier

Kristen K. wrote on Wed, 05/08/2013 - 12:59:

Everyone, you're stories are fantastic! How cool! I had no idea that this was such a popular attraction!

Kristina wrote on Wed, 05/08/2013 - 17:49:

Kristina's picture

I LOVE this attraction.

My first time experiencing it was during a solo trip. I was 'that girl' when the auditorium was being loaded. Something about buying people churros if they would be my friend....and having a brain injury (I was wearing a white headband).

Didn't know what to expect and I was in tears!!!

J wrote on Wed, 05/08/2013 - 19:43:

J's picture

Honestly has become my favorite Magic Kingdom attraction. I always think I prefer the geography lesson more (The capital of Canada is C!), but the retelling of Monsters Inc. is really just as good. I was picked to be Randal the last time. I had no idea I must look a little evil. Love Buddy Boils “telepathetic” performance as well. Funniest when they find someone in the audience wearing something goofy or not paying attention. Cracks me up every time. Ii is at least need to visit two times when I visit the Magic Kingdom.

Becks534 wrote on Wed, 05/08/2013 - 22:34:

Becks534's picture

"I don't know why, but it just seems like they stick to the script a little less as the day goes on. That's when it it can go from "that was amusing" to "OW MY SIDES HURT."

YES! We did the Laugh Floor as the end of an MK EMH night and it was hysterical. Fantastic attraction, can't wait to take our wedding guest newbies.

disneydoc wrote on Fri, 05/10/2013 - 23:12:

disneydoc's picture

You gotta love Sam & Ella!!! The Laugh Floor is priceless. I go there at least once, if not more, every trip. I even did the "hell00000 humans!" thing with one of my classes at school. This attraction is just the right mix of corny and sophisticated - appeals to all ages. Way to go, Disney.

Britney wrote on Mon, 07/15/2013 - 13:59:

Britney's picture

When I went my daughter had wanted to sit on daddy's lap so not being able to resist her smile he let her sit on his lap in the middle of the show the two headed monster (sory I don't remember the names) looks over at us and goes oh look there's another two headed monster in the house my daughter loved it. I also had one visit were one monter told me my eyes were humongous cant wait to go back again

Kristen K. wrote on Tue, 07/16/2013 - 12:18:

That sounds like so much fun Britney! I'm so glad they made your daughters day.

Frank DeGilio wrote on Thu, 07/10/2014 - 11:15:

Frank DeGilio's picture

I love monsters laugh floor. I love the attention tone they use when they are focusing on an individual while people are getting seated. That would be a great text tone. I would actually pay for that tone.

That Guy wrote on Thu, 03/16/2017 - 16:50:

That Guy's picture

Over all this is not one of my favorite attractions but it is a good place to sit for a few minutes, the kids always enjoy it and the wait times are usually short even without a fastpass. This past weekend we did the show and were part of the attraction for the first time. But oddly enough we were selected twice #1 they used one of our jokes, my daughter who is now 22 has been submitting the same joke for years and they finally used it and #2 I was "That Guy". Over all everyone our group of 9 people had a great time and it was the last attraction we hit after a 4 day trip which made it even cooler.

Kristen K. wrote on Thu, 03/16/2017 - 23:09:

Sounds like you had a good time!