Cinderella Castle Photography Tips

It could be said that no trip to Walt Disney World would be complete without a picture or two of the magnificent Cinderella Castle. In fact of you haven't brought your own camera, you don't need to worry because Disney has PhotoPass photographers stationed all the way down Main Street USA to capture that shot of you standing directly in front of the castle. It's a vacation tradition for millions, but is a shot right down Main Street the best way to get a picture of the castle? I want to offer a couple of tips for beginners that offer alternative shots just about anyone can line up for beautiful castle photography.

Photography Tips for Great Pictures of Cinderella CastlePhotography Tips for Great Pictures of Cinderella Castle

The Hub - Partners and the Castle

If you don't have your own camera available you'll find you'll find Photo Pass photographers waiting to take your picture all the way down Main Street U.S.A. My suggestion though is to wait until you're at the far end where several Photo Pass photographers are located in the hub at the end of Main Street, in front of the partners statue, and also in front of the castle stage.

PhotoPass Photographer Center ShotPhotoPass Photographer Center Shot

My favorite shot in the hub is off center to the right. If you step close to the planter in the center, you can frame up a shot with a beautiful view of the Statue and the Castle together. By stepping to the side, you move the two subjects apart from each other so that they're no long competing for the attention of the viewers eye. This view also offers a nice backdrop to place a human subject centered in front.

Partners Statue & Castle with Room for FamilyPartners Statue & Castle with Room for Family

If you would like the Partners Statue and the Castle from a more directly forward position, still step just off to the right. That will allow Walt's outstretched arm to be shown in a welcoming gesture. If you step to the left his arm closes off the shot and blocks that feeling and can seem awkward.

Partners Statue with Castle Full FramePartners Statue with Castle Full Frame

Landscape Shots - Liberty Square & Tomorrowland Bridge

One of my very favorite view of Cinderella Castle is from Liberty Square Bridge. From this transition space you can capture not only a great picture that shows the castle basics, but you can capture the beautiful landscaping around Cinderella Castle and the moat. One of the best parts about shooting the castle from this location is that you have the ability to get a serene image with few tourists even on the busiest of park days.

Landscape and Moat from the Liberty Square BridgeLandscape and Moat from the Liberty Square Bridge

A great landscape view of the Magic Kingdom's centerpiece was demolished to make room for the Hub expansion. However there are new lawns and gardens in the area that also create lovely spots to photograph the castle from on the Tomorrowland side of the hub. Tomorrowland Terrance has long been a prime fireworks viewing location, so you know that you will be able to get great nighttime shots from that area as well.

Castle with Rose Garden from Tomorrowland BridgeCastle with Rose Garden from Tomorrowland Bridge

Dealing with Tourists

It's not always possible to get a beautiful castle shot without hundreds of people getting in it. Many photographers will make an advance dining reservation in the before the park opens for the Crystal Palace or Cinderella's Royal Table in order to get a clear shot.

There are ways though to make your pictures more personal or more interesting while trying to shot around throngs of strangers. Many times I will have my family walk ahead of me slowly, or tell them to stand someplace and look at this or that. In doing this I can capture my own family amongst the tourists in a more candid shot.

Manage Crowds by Diverting FocusManage Crowds by Diverting Focus

Finally, if you just can't get away from all the people, try shooting higher and make the castle the backdrop rather than the main image. Disney always has lovely decorated lamp posts that offer a decorative focal point. By raising your camera higher than the heads of the crowd and shooting down the row of planters you can take the focus away from the mass of people and put it on the decorative elements in your shot.

There are many non-traditional views and spots in the Magic Kingdom to get fantastic pictures of Cinderella Castle, so be creative and keep your eyes open. Take more then one shots of everything, and never be afraid to look silly to get the picture that you want. Do you have any castle photography tips? Where is your favorite spot to view the castle from? Leave a comment below and let us know!

MissusT wrote on Wed, 03/20/2013 - 13:52:

No ideas yet, but I'm bound to come up with something...Just wanted to say that those are some great tips! I've been going to Disney since I was a kid and now the husband and I are DVC members and I'm completely photo obsessed. And not just quantity, but quality and I love the idea about shooting from the Liberty Square Bridge!!

mimi wrote on Wed, 03/20/2013 - 14:16:

mimi's picture

Wow! Kristen, these are fabulous tips! Thank you so very much!

Paula T wrote on Wed, 03/20/2013 - 15:10:

Paula T's picture

Thanks for the great tips! I'll be using those on our next visit! One place I like is by the wishing well at Cinderella Castle. I did not try to capture my family in the shot, just the castle. I was very pleased with the results & even though the crowds were heavy, I was able to get the shot without any tourists in the photo.

Scott wrote on Wed, 03/20/2013 - 17:27:

Scott's picture

What about from behind the castle? Great views there too!

Misty C wrote on Wed, 03/20/2013 - 23:08:

Misty C's picture

My favorite photo I've taken of Cinderella Castle is actually of the castle's reflection in the water on Liberty Square bridge. I'd imagine a well-timed shot during Wishes would make a VERY beautiful photo!

JeffC wrote on Thu, 03/21/2013 - 03:54:

Great tips Kristen! And your pictures are awesome. I particularly like the one from Liberty Square Bridge. Thank you!!

Elaine wrote on Thu, 03/21/2013 - 12:28:

Elaine's picture

I have almost the exact castle picture from the Liberty Square Bridge. We were eating at Sleepy Hollow and there were ducks on the water and I took some pictures trying to get the castle, ducks and whatever else in the picture. It is the BEST picture I have ever taken anywhere. I have it enlarge and on the wall in my office right where I can see it all day. Thanks for the tips - I will try some of the other ones next time I am there.

Kristen K. wrote on Thu, 03/21/2013 - 13:30:

Thanks so much everyone! I drive my family nuts trying to cut the tourists out of my shots.

Scott - I totally wanted to talk about the Fantasyland side of the Castle, but I didn't have any good shots. Maybe I'll have to focus on that when I'm there in June for another post!

Dvc member wrote on Mon, 04/29/2013 - 17:04:

Dvc member's picture

I've noticed you can take pictures of each of the miniature character statues with the castle. If you kneel down behind Minni for example it looks like she is looking up at the castle. It's my favorite picture

Tunes wrote on Wed, 05/13/2015 - 07:41:

Tunes's picture

I've taken pics of the castle from Liberty Square bridge at night and they are spectacular!! Especially when the fireworks are going off!!

Lela King wrote on Wed, 05/13/2015 - 15:04:

Lela King's picture

Ive been to Magic kingdom and it was awesome and its one of my favourite disney parks. I really enjoyed it and I went to Chef Mickeys after Magic Kingdom and the food was delicious. I had a picture with chef mickey, Pluto, Goofy, donald, Minnie, Chip and Dale. My favourite food was the Mickey waffles, breakfast pizza, brownies, Mickey Mouse oreo cakes, macaroni and cheese, Plutos cheese blintz, vegetables and cheese cakes.

Erick Harries wrote on Fri, 08/17/2018 - 00:52:

Erick Harries's picture

Hello!

Love the photography content on your site! You know, businesses get traffic from their blog, and we feel that you could use a little help, since you are not blogging weekly yet.

Blogging takes a lot of time, and we have just the team from USA/Canada to come up with great content you are looking for.

You can have a brand new article to post on wdwforgrownups.com starting at $19 in as little as 5 business days!

Check out our work and reviews here: https://goo.gl/dmBj8L

Thanks for your time,

Enjoy the rest of your day.

You are receiving this email because the contact form at wdwforgrownups.com is open to the public.
If you like to opt-out of future communications from us, please submit your request here:

https://goo.gl/u4rPbG Unsubscribe to stop getting our emails.