Disney Resorts for a Romantic Getaway

People ask me all the time where is the best place to stay on their Walt Disney World vacation. My answer always starts with suggesting that they stay on property, but choosing "the best" resort is a highly personal matter. Disney has a resort to cover just about any size and type of family with a range of budget options, and a broad spectrum of amenities. Choosing "the best" is up to each guest, and we hear at WDWFG could never pick just one, but here are my personal favorites for a romantic getaway at a Disney Resort and why I love them.

Disney's Polynesian Resort

If a romantic escape to a tropical isle is what you're dreaming of, but your partner wants the fun of a theme park, head to Disney's Polynesian Resort for the best of both worlds. One of the original Walt Disney World Resort Hotels the Polynesian offers close proximity to the Magic Kingdom while still maintaining the lush exotic theme of a tropical island. This deluxe property offers large rooms, shopping, entertainment, pools with cabanas, a white sand beach, and a marina. There are multiple eateries including the very popular 'Ohana and my favorite Disney sushi spot, Kona Island. This tropical escape is the only place outside of the Magic Kingdom that you grab a Dole Whip before heading to the beach to watch the fireworks from the comfort of a hammock with your loved one.

Disney's Port Orleans

The charm of the old south oozes from every inspired corner of this extensive resort. Consisting of the French Quarter or Riverside, this massive property captures the heart of Dixie. From the Grand Mansions with their Royal Guest Rooms, to the charming rustic lodges of Alligator Bayou, to the elaborate wrought iron balconies and courtyards of the French Quarter Port Orleans has a style to fit just about anyone. Several eateries and bars are located on property, along with two feature pools and several quite pools scattered across the beautifully landscaped lawns. The beignets in the French Quarter food court are seriously some of the best I've ever had. For a little romance you can take a carriage ride along the Sassagoula River, but if you'd like something a little more lively, be sure to catch Yehaa Bob at the River Roost Lounge for a boogie woogie piano sing-a-long. It's become a Disney classic.

The Big Blue PoolThe Big Blue Pool

Disney's Art of Animation

The newest of the WDW Resort Hotels this makes my list of favorite because of the roomy family suites. If you like a little more room in your room (which I do) but still want to stay on a budget this may be the spot for you. Ask for a room close to all the amenities in the Finding Nemo section of this fun Value Resort. The food court here has a decadent menu that puts regular quick service to shame, and the friendly bar tenders at The Drop Off pool bar are serving up fun.

Though these are my favorites, they barely scratch the surface of what Disney offers in it's resort hotels. Do you have a favorite hotel for a romantic DIsney getaway? Leave a comment below and share which one you prefer and why it's your favorite!

Kat wrote on Tue, 03/26/2013 - 15:41:

Kat's picture

We're staying in Port Orleans: Riverside for our honeymoon, thanks to recommendations here on the forums! I'm sure it'll be amazing and very romantic!

Poppet wrote on Tue, 03/26/2013 - 17:01:

Both Port Orleans: Riverside & French Quarter are fabulous resorts! You can't go wrong with either.

Phil wrote on Wed, 03/27/2013 - 00:34:

Phil's picture

I'd say the Animal Kingdom Lodge with a savanna view room would rank even above the Polynesian. You're out away from the hustle and bustle of the parks and can relax while taking in a view of wildlife.

JeffC wrote on Wed, 03/27/2013 - 04:01:

Port Orleans French Quarter. The grounds are lush, the river is right there, and at night a walk from POFr to POr and back is very romantic! And yes, the horse carriage rides!

Kristen K. wrote on Wed, 03/27/2013 - 13:17:

Sounds like there's lots of love for Port Orleans!

digdoug wrote on Wed, 03/27/2013 - 14:50:

digdoug's picture

This makes me very happy for our trip to The Polynesian in 53 days...

Kris1971 wrote on Thu, 03/28/2013 - 17:23:

Kris1971's picture

I'm on the Port Orleans FQ bandwagon as well. Spent our honeymoon there and loved it!

Phil wrote on Thu, 03/28/2013 - 18:50:

Phil's picture

Port Orleans FQ. We stayed there for our honeymoon 10 years ago. We loved it!

Renee wrote on Thu, 03/28/2013 - 19:43:

Renee's picture

My vote is for the Polynesian. It's so romantic to stroll along the palm tree paths and to watch the fireworks from the beach. Stayed there 33 years ago for our honeymoon. Through the years we stayed at the Polynesian and other WDW Resorts with our children and extended family. The Polynesian is our all time favorite place to stay while in WDW. My DH and I will be returning WDW in a couple weeks for the Epcot Flower and Garden Festival for the first time without the extended family. We booked the Polynesian, it will be like our second honeymoon. So looking forward to it.

Dasgoot wrote on Tue, 04/02/2013 - 20:15:

Dasgoot's picture

I've got to put my vote in for Port Orleans, too... although I favor Riverside. It's so quiet and sprawling that you really feel you're outside Disney World. My wife and I stayed there two years ago and it was probably our most romantic trip ever!