Finding Good Coffee in Walt Disney World

Confession: I have an addiction to coffee. Growing up I swore that I would never drink that nasty, black stuff I saw my parents drink almost constantly. And then came college. I'm not sure if it was the late-night study sessions or the social aspect of drinking coffee with friends that converted me, but I am now a full fledged coffee addict!

It was this addiction that stirred my curiosity on where to find the best coffee in Disney World. And I have found that there is most definitely not a shortage of places to get a good cup of coffee in Disney World!

The coffee at the Kona Cafe and Kona Island Coffee Bar is the best in Disney World. They serve authentic Kona coffee made from beans grown on the Big Island on the slopes of the Mauna Loa and Hualalai volcanoes. Stop by for a cup (or two!) before you head into Magic Kingdom!

Another great resort coffee bar is Contemporary Grounds located in the Contemporary Resort. Just a short walk or monorail ride away from the Magic Kingdom it is the perfect place to grab a coffee and pastry in the morning instead of waiting in that long Magic Kingdom bakery line.

One of two great coffee stops in Disney's Hollywood Studios, Starring Rolls Cafe is perfect for a mid-day (or mid-morning) coffee and cupcake break! The espresso and iced coffee drinks here are a great way to get your caffeine boost.

Also in Disney's Hollywood Studios, Writer's Stop is a hidden gem that is rarely crowded. Enjoy a good cup of coffee and a snack from the variety of bakery items available there.

In Animal Kingdom Kusafiri Coffee Shop and Bakery serves up some great espresso and the bakery options, like the White Chocolate Elephant Cupcake, will make your mouth water!

In Epcot you can get some amazing coffee in the different World Showcase Pavilions. But specifically if you are going to La Hacienda de San Angel I would recommend the coffee margarita. Yes you read that correctly, a coffee margarita! And at this year's Food and Wine Festival be sure to stop by the Belgium booth to get a Godiva Chocolate Iced Coffee!

Disney has also recently realized the great need for coffee before you start your day and has put in a coffee kiosk next to the monorail station outside of the main entrance to Future World and at the Transportation and Ticketing Center.

So where do you get a good cup of coffee in Disney World?

DVC Mom wrote on Mon, 08/22/2011 - 11:35:

DVC Mom's picture

I am totally a coffee snob, it was one of my favorite hobbies, then for awhile it was my job. I worked as a Coffee Master for Starbucks giving seminars on coffee, doing tastings and pairings, educating staff and public on the different types and teaching why it can change so much from cup to cup. These days however, it's just an addiction. ;D

I actually don't care for the Kona at the Poly that much. As far as Kona's go, for me it falls a bit on the weak side with only a few of the distinctive Kona traits. Though I haven't stopped there since 2009. At that time I bought a bag for some outrageous price (around $30 I think, which is not crazy for a good quality Kona) and brought it home to enjoy. We ended up throwing it away after making just one pot. DH and I are going to Kona Cafe' for breakfast next month, maybe I'll give the coffee another try and re-evaluate how I feel about it.

I go to Boma or Jiko for what I think is the best coffee in WDW. They offer a French Press of a fantastic African blend of beans. It's rich and heavy in your mouth with a deep flavor profile that includes earthy dark dried fruits and a wine like acidity. I love African blends and this one does not disappoint.

Disney John wrote on Mon, 08/22/2011 - 12:59:

Disney John's picture

Although the Writer's Shop in Hollywood Studios does have good coffee. My wife and I found the best coffee to be at Morocco in Epcot. The Crystal Palace also has good coffee and we love to eat there at least one time on each visit.

Jenn wrote on Mon, 08/22/2011 - 18:11:

Jenn's picture

I agree with DVC Mom...for some reason Kona's coffee (that you get from the food stand outside the restaurant) hasn't wowed me. Last January I bought a cup and it tasted very watered down.

Kouzzina has some amazing french press coffee that I dream about. There's also a coffee kiosk by Mission: Space, by France in the World Showcase, and at the exit of Rock n' Rollercoaster. I'm sure there's a few other places too but anywhere you see those purple and white styrofoam coffee cups? That means real brewed coffee! :)

I haven't found a sit-down restaurant that sells that Nescafe crud either so I always look forward to getting a cup at every table service!

Lizzy_B wrote on Tue, 08/23/2011 - 01:09:

Lizzy_B's picture

This is great info! I love the article as well as the comments information. I have always hated what I perceived to be a "good coffee vacuum" on property, so I can't WAIT to give all of these options a try! Thanks!

melissa sue wrote on Thu, 08/25/2011 - 02:05:

melissa sue's picture

Kouzzina, hands down, has the best coffee on property.

Leanne2255 wrote on Mon, 10/24/2011 - 02:15:

Leanne2255's picture

Interesting... I didn't think that "good coffee" and Walt Disney World went together. The best coffee is the one that we make in our room from our freshly ground beans. that we purchase at Starbucks before we arrive at Boardwalk Villas.

Rich Veeck wrote on Wed, 02/01/2012 - 04:26:

Rich Veeck's picture

No offense, but most of these places listed have terrible coffee. Most of these stops you have to load up on sugar and creaked to mask the stale and bitter taste. Good coffee comes from the right green beans, freshly and properly roasted, ground immediately before brewing and within 7-14 days of roasting. All this is assuming proper brewing which is not always easy. With this, you will experience coffee as you never imagined. I have my own coffee roasting equipment and have been roasting for 12 years. I can bring out flavors in coffee that can blow your mind. Once you cross over, you will never go back. I have yet to find a good cup in Disney World. :(
Rich

Kristen K. wrote on Wed, 02/01/2012 - 13:57:

Hi Rich! Sorry that you're not fond of any Disney coffee, I think a micro-roastery would be a fun addition to Animal Kingdom! It could be by some AFrican goats that were really hyper to demonstrate how coffee was discovered! :-) They could really show off some fantastic African beans, and the smell would waft through the air enticing people over to see what was going on. However, I don't think Disney's going to be roasting beans on a kiosk by kiosk basis.

"Good" coffee truly varies from person to person, my Nana thought Folgers instant was "good". Once our tastes get used to a specific style it can be difficult to change. These are great option for anyone who isn't used to coffee that's quite as fresh as you are.

Bren wrote on Sun, 12/07/2014 - 21:24:

Bren's picture

I have yet to find a decent cup of coffee anywhere in any theme park. Probably not fair that I have a prissy, spoiled palette that demands a good cup of coffee....and Sleepy Hollow fell wayyy short... the search continues.