Abandoned Disney: Disney's River Country

Login to post comments
73 posts / 0 new
Jess's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/04/2011
Posts: 3280
Abandoned Disney: Disney's River Country

Does anyone remember Disney's River Country. I don't think we went there when I was a kid. Here's a wiki link if you need a reminder about what it was and then there's a link with some pictures of it since it's been abandoned in 2001. Looks kind of creepy and makes you wonder what kind of critters are living there. Also got to love that price for admission Smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney%27s_River_Country

__________________

Jess's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/04/2011
Posts: 3280

__________________

Jessi5989's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/27/2011
Posts: 580

That is creepy! but I bet there's a billion frogs living in those pools. biggrin

finngirl's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/11/2012
Posts: 1072

We went there in the 90's when our son was younger. It was such a relaxing place - I liked it way better than Blizzard Beach! (but not as much as Typhoon Lagoon).

It's a shame they've just let it go - I don't think I'd want to wander around there now!

__________________

Diana

Time marches on. Eventually you realize it's doing it across your face.

Offline
Joined: 02/12/2012
Posts: 271

I remember a few trips back I was sat out on the balcony at SSR and we tried our hardest to imagine an abandoned Disney, tumbleweeds rolling through a crumbling Cinderella castle etc and it was impossible, to think it could ever be like that...but then you look at those River Country pics *shudders*.

They're so eerie, it really does look like everybody just upped and left one afternoon and never came back! I'm surprised nobody has tried to shoot a slash'em up teen horror there yet!

__________________

[url='http://salocainwonderland.blogspot.com']Saloca in Wonderland[/url] <--- blog!

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23166

I went to River Country all the time as a child, but that was before the other Water Parks existed. It makes me so sad to see it how it is now. I would love it if they cleaned it up and did something else with the property.

Offline
Joined: 07/02/2011
Posts: 988

When I was a kid, my parents loved to camp. We stayed at Ft. Wilderness in our pop up camper and went to River Country every time we stayed. It was a blast!!!! I agree with Kristen K., there was no "Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon" back then. Such a shame what River Country has become. Don't get why they don't just replace this area with something really nice.

Offline
Joined: 10/07/2011
Posts: 272

some of my fondest memories of WDW as a kid involve river country. I'm not sure why, I think because I had never really been to a water park. (being from the midwest). I remember playing with Goofy in one of the parts and going on waterslides with my dad.

Jess's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/04/2011
Posts: 3280

Jessi5989 wrote:
That is creepy! but I bet there's a billion frogs living in those pools. biggrin

I bet....I was also thinking there was probably gators hanging around

__________________

Jess's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/04/2011
Posts: 3280

campbell87 wrote:
I remember a few trips back I was sat out on the balcony at SSR and we tried our hardest to imagine an abandoned Disney, tumbleweeds rolling through a crumbling Cinderella castle etc and it was impossible, to think it could ever be like that...but then you look at those River Country pics *shudders*.

They're so eerie, it really does look like everybody just upped and left one afternoon and never came back! I'm surprised nobody has tried to shoot a slash'em up teen horror there yet!

It would be a good spot....but i bet Disney keeps it pretty locked up...hard for people to tresspass there

__________________

Jess's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/04/2011
Posts: 3280

Kristen K. wrote:
I went to River Country all the time as a child, but that was before the other Water Parks existed. It makes me so sad to see it how it is now. I would love it if they cleaned it up and did something else with the property.

Yeah that's one of the things I don't understand....why just let is sit there abandoned like that...they could easily do something with that land

__________________

Offline
Joined: 03/02/2012
Posts: 38

They don't need the land. There is so much undeveloped area on the property that they can easily build six more theme parks. Maybe someday they will find a need for it and clear it but until then there is no reason. Backstage isn't what you would expect. I've mistakenly found my way in the past to warehouse areas and other less than magical places and, well, it isn't so happy there either but you are never meant to see it as a guest.

__________________

~'70 When Magic Kingdom was a trailer visitor center, ~'76 Polynesian Resort, ~'83 Disneyland, ~'85 Dixie Landings, ~'98 Boardwalk Villas, ~'99 Boardwalk Villas, ~'99 Disneyland Hotel, '00~ Disneyland Hotel, ~'03 Port Orleans French Quarter, ~'04 Animal Kingdom Lodge, ~'04 Caribbean Beach Resort, ~'09 Port Orleans Riverside, ~'09 Boardwalk Inn, ~'09 Beach Club Resort, ~'10 Double Tree WDW, ~'10 Wilderness Lodge Villas, ~'10 Hilton Parc Soleil, ~'12 Wilderness Lodge, ~'12 Grand Californian Resort... more to come as I try to remember more visit details...

ChipnDaleFan's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/02/2010
Posts: 882

It's so spooky to see that- We used to have so much fun at River Country- it really was a unique water park. The little nature trail nearby was awesome too. I found some awesome abandoned shells there (snail I think). I still have my river country towel that i use each summer.

__________________

Grovesnor offsite '93 ~ Port Orleans '94 ~ Port Orleans '95 ~ Caribbean Beach '97~ Carribbean Beach '99 ~ Caribbean Beach '00 ~ Offsite '02~ Caribbean Beach '08 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter '10 ~ Dolphin/Hilton '12-~All Star Sports '16

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23166

Rumors have been swirling around for the last couple of years that DVC is going to be taking over the old River Country property for their next resort. My guide was actually really surprised that Grand Floridian started building first.

DVC has filed some permits to do work in Fort Wilderness, but from what I've seen it's probably not a new resort. However they could be building up other portions of Fort Wilderness before they put in the Villas. You can see the post I made about that earlier here:
http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/dvc-fort-wilderness-shake-ups-coming

Mase's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2011
Posts: 5438

Jess wrote:
Jessi5989 wrote:
That is creepy! but I bet there's a billion frogs living in those pools. biggrin

I bet....I was also thinking there was probably gators hanging around

And other things that I hate!

Kristen K. wrote:
Rumors have been swirling around for the last couple of years that DVC is going to be taking over the old River Country property for their next resort. My guide was actually really surprised that Grand Floridian started building first.

DVC has filed some permits to do work in Fort Wilderness, but from what I've seen it's probably not a new resort. However they could be building up other portions of Fort Wilderness before they put in the Villas. You can see the post I made about that earlier here:
http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/dvc-fort-wilderness-shake-ups-coming

I can see that happening. Im always down for more DVC places! heh

__________________

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

Melissa W's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/28/2011
Posts: 560

Oh wow! I have never been but it looks so creepy! Has anyone seen the photoshopped pictures people have done of abandoned Disney World? Made me think of that....

RobynPrincess's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/14/2010
Posts: 2859

What's really creepy, we went to have a look around when doing our wishes cruise - in the dark!!!

__________________

Our Very Merry 24 nighter Nov/Dec 15
Watson's go West May 15
The one with all the birthdays Oct 14 4 Big Birthdays and a Vow Renewal thrown in
The OMG trip June 14 30th Birthday present from the hubs
Girly trip March 14 A last min cheapy week
September 13 our first all DVC stay
TR May 2013 the last min bargain trip offsite
Oct 2012 TR with a cruise!big family trip featuring the beach club, AKL, the dream and a villa offsite
TR on a budget May - June 2011offsite condo
TR Sept - Oct 2010 big family trip in an offsite villa

Mase's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2011
Posts: 5438

Melissa W wrote:
Oh wow! I have never been but it looks so creepy! Has anyone seen the photoshopped pictures people have done of abandoned Disney World? Made me think of that....

No I havent... do you have a link?

__________________

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

The Cookie Crumbler's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/10/2012
Posts: 750

Wow, those photos are stunning! Thank you for posting them.

RobynPrincess wrote:
What's really creepy, we went to have a look around when doing our wishes cruise - in the dark!!!

AHH! Exploring abandoned areas is one of my favorite things to do, though I don't know if I'd have the nerve to chance it at Disney. Legendary Years was tempting...but after the news and photos like these get out, security must be super tight.

__________________

Fellow Americans, I hear your tambourines inside my head and that's no lie!

Melissa W's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/28/2011
Posts: 560

Mase wrote:
Melissa W wrote:
Oh wow! I have never been but it looks so creepy! Has anyone seen the photoshopped pictures people have done of abandoned Disney World? Made me think of that....

No I havent... do you have a link?

It's been a few years and I think this is it although I remember seeing pictures. He has a bunch of other videos too of resorts and other parks.

Mase's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2011
Posts: 5438

creepy........................................

eek

__________________

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

The Cookie Crumbler's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/10/2012
Posts: 750

Melissa W wrote:
It's been a few years and I think this is it although I remember seeing pictures. He has a bunch of other videos too of resorts and other parks.

Whoa! I like that Epcot is not only abandoned but Spaceship Earth apparently exploded.

__________________

Fellow Americans, I hear your tambourines inside my head and that's no lie!

twilightsparrow's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/16/2012
Posts: 337

That's just too weird. It's a scenario I would never want to see happen...seeing my beloved monorail abandoned like that.

__________________

AKV-Kidani 8/2013 ~ PORS 11/2012 ~ CBR 11/2010 ~ CBR 5/2010

OUR DVC HOME: SSR

Bella's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/11/2010
Posts: 3886

I looked for the old thread but I couldn't find it..anyway my point is a few years ago I posted a link to a blog post done by a couple of guys who SWAM across Bay Lake and snuck in River Country and took pictures of all the creepy, creepy stuff that is over there now.

__________________

mickey Bella


disneydoc's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/27/2012
Posts: 2415

My kids and I spent hours at River Country. We camped in a motor home at Ft. Wildnerness for a whole MONTH one year and rode our bikes there every day. While it was not as glitzy as Blizzard Beach or Typhoon, it had a nice, relaxing feel.

I always mourn the loss of closings...hold on to those nostagic feelings. I miss Take Flight in MK, Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit in The Land (Epcot), and other SNOW WHITE in MK. I just came back after a nearly 15 year hiatus...but excited to see the new stuff too.

Unfortunately my stomach does not deal well with the thrill rides, so I really love things that take us on trips that don't require a lot of jerky moving around. mickey

__________________

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker DIStickers.com Ticker

disneydoc's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/27/2012
Posts: 2415

ooooo, yukky. Swimming in the lake is not a good idea. Flesh eating bacteria, anyone? yuck

__________________

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker DIStickers.com Ticker

Bella's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/11/2010
Posts: 3886

disneydoc wrote:
ooooo, yukky. Swimming in the lake is not a good idea. Flesh eating bacteria, anyone? yuck

My thoughts exactly..I am still digging for it! I've even tried googling it to find the post..

Any of my WDWGPS vets remember this reading it? I'm not hallucinating am I?

__________________

mickey Bella


Bella's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/11/2010
Posts: 3886

I got it! Here is the link to the blog post of some guys who SWAM to Discovery Island..This post is WEIRD. Dead snakes in jars, old photographs..swimming to across a bacteria infested lake. This is more Discovery Island than River Country though..I forgot that part!

http://shaneperez.blogspot.com/2009/12/discovery-island.html

And here is another link to the DISBoards page with tons and tons of River Country pictures..with lots of trash!

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2344523

__________________

mickey Bella


RobynPrincess's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/14/2010
Posts: 2859

I have read the blog about the guys who swam across, it was on another board though. Seriously, who would ever get in that water?!?!?!?!

__________________

Our Very Merry 24 nighter Nov/Dec 15
Watson's go West May 15
The one with all the birthdays Oct 14 4 Big Birthdays and a Vow Renewal thrown in
The OMG trip June 14 30th Birthday present from the hubs
Girly trip March 14 A last min cheapy week
September 13 our first all DVC stay
TR May 2013 the last min bargain trip offsite
Oct 2012 TR with a cruise!big family trip featuring the beach club, AKL, the dream and a villa offsite
TR on a budget May - June 2011offsite condo
TR Sept - Oct 2010 big family trip in an offsite villa

twilightsparrow's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/16/2012
Posts: 337

I agree with you RobynPrincess...you couldn't pay me enough to get in that water - some things are just not worth it.

I found some more pictures taken in 2010 of River Country on another board's thread while googling River Country to death this afternoon. I don't know if it's been posted on our forum before.

(I hope my link works)

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2449157

__________________

AKV-Kidani 8/2013 ~ PORS 11/2012 ~ CBR 11/2010 ~ CBR 5/2010

OUR DVC HOME: SSR

The Cookie Crumbler's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/10/2012
Posts: 750

Thanks a bunch for finding those links, Bella! Swimming across the water...it's all swamp! That's insane.

What's amazing about all of this is that these abandoned pieces of land are hidden in plain sight. Legendary Years was different because it was out in the open and visible from another resort, so there was no hiding it. But Disney World is so huge that when something runs its course it can just be left off the guides and no one will know it's there unless they know where to look. They don't need to immediately re-purpose the land, they can afford to wait until they find another use for it because there is just so much space that guests will simply not notice. It's unbelievable.

__________________

Fellow Americans, I hear your tambourines inside my head and that's no lie!