Battle Of The Ribs...

Login to post comments
21 posts / 0 new
Anonymous
Battle Of The Ribs...

Good Morning America...Ok my question today is for all you Pumas out there...I've 7 days to go before I book my ADRS and one of my restaurant choices is Yachtsmen Steakhouse..Now I've studied the menu, licked my lips several times,and have my steak down to two choices..The Ribeye or the Bone in Rib...I've ruled out the 28oz Porter because I've seen the monster and it's way out of my league,( not the price,the size ) Now my DS will definitely opt for the New York Strip,and my DW will go for the Fillet...Now my Texan brother in law loves the Ribeye as he reckons the marble adds flavour to the steak...But I'am interested to here your votes...Ribeye or Bone in Rib...?...What would you choose and why.?

BarbaraB's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/13/2014
Posts: 402

I would definitely go with the Bone in Rib. Any meat cooked on the bone just tastes better, IMO.

__________________

~ Barb ~

King Fergus

BarbaraB wrote:
I would definitely go with the Bone in Rib. Any meat cooked on the bone just tastes better, IMO.

Cheers BarbaraB...

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 22996

I'm a Fillet girl, so I don't have a good answer.

jrice4760's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/16/2014
Posts: 120

I completely agree with BarbaraB. Meat is always better on the bone, be it beef, chicken, or pork. While I've never eaten at the Yachtsmen Steakhouse, I've had the opportunity to eat a bone-in ribeye at a high-end steakhouse, and I recommend it to anybody. Take it medium or med-rare!

jw24's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/23/2013
Posts: 999

Supposedly the ribeye will have the most fat marbling compared to other steaks but it's tasty, flavorful and juicy and from what I understand. Regarding the bone-in, I've read that the bone allows the meat to be cooked more evenly and prevents the meat from drying out and shrinking while it's cooking. (From a butcher's POV, it's easier work for bone-in meats because they don't have to filet that.)

So if you're looking for a steak with a lot of flavor, go bone in. If you want easier work for your knife, go boneless.

I'd still stick with NY Strip for me. Not quite so much fat and cooks quicker compared to a ribeye though I think a ribeye would not be a bad 2nd choice....

__________________

"All my life I wonder how it feels to pass a day, not above them but part of them.

And out there living in the sun, give me one day out there, all I ask is one to hold forever. Out there where they all live unaware, what I'd give, what I'd dare, just to live one day out there."

King Fergus

Wow...Interesting points of view here..Thanks folks..

Princess Cupcake's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/12/2014
Posts: 226

Oh my! I'm only on my first cup of coffee and it took me a second to realize you were talking about a different kind of puma.....lol My bad! laugh

__________________

SpamGoddess's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/10/2013
Posts: 292

Do you mean between the bone-in ribeye and the Prime Rib? Because if so, you also have to figure out how you'd rather it be prepared. They're both from the same part of the cow, so chances are the marbling is the same. The choice would be more how it's prepared. The bone-in ribeye, I'm assuming, is prepared much like a classic steak where it's sliced and cut before it's cooked. Whereas Prime Rib is prepared as the entire rib roast and then sliced when it's ordered. With that, I'm not a prime rib person at all. Though I'm really not a ribeye person at all, either, but it would be my option between the two.

But I'm totally a fillet girl, but I'll go with the NY Strip occasionally. I like leaner cuts wayyyy better.

__________________

King Fergus

SpamGoddess wrote:
Do you mean between the bone-in ribeye and the Prime Rib? Because if so, you also have to figure out how you'd rather it be prepared. They're both from the same part of the cow, so chances are the marbling is the same. The choice would be more how it's prepared. The bone-in ribeye, I'm assuming, is prepared much like a classic steak where it's sliced and cut before it's cooked. Whereas Prime Rib is prepared as the entire rib roast and then sliced when it's ordered. With that, I'm not a prime rib person at all. Though I'm really not a ribeye person at all, either, but it would be my option between the two.

But I'm totally a fillet girl, but I'll go with the NY Strip occasionally. I like leaner cuts wayyyy better.

It's my choice between these two on Yachtsmen menu..

PreviewAttachmentSize
image.jpg
image.jpg207.69 KB
crazycatperson's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/19/2011
Posts: 3709

I would be getting the bone-in rib (aka prime rib?). And I would be ordering it barely cooked, what they call "Pittsburgh rare" around here and "bleu" in France. Yum.

Offline
Joined: 08/01/2012
Posts: 2037

crazycatperson wrote:
I would be getting the bone-in rib (aka prime rib?). And I would be ordering it barely cooked, what they call "Pittsburgh rare" around here and "bleu" in France. Yum.

CCP the "Pittsburgh rare" description is new one to me and live not far from Pgh. Hmmm!

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9464

PirateGirl wrote:
crazycatperson wrote:
I would be getting the bone-in rib (aka prime rib?). And I would be ordering it barely cooked, what they call "Pittsburgh rare" around here and "bleu" in France. Yum.

CCP the "Pittsburgh rare" description is new one to me and live not far from Pgh. Hmmm!

They call it Pittsburgh rare, Pittsburgh black, Blue & Blue, Chicago style. It's got many names. It have to have a black char on the outside and rare to raw on the inside. Usually a piece of steak 2 inches thick or more.

Offline
Joined: 08/01/2012
Posts: 2037

mrhub wrote:
PirateGirl wrote:
crazycatperson wrote:
I would be getting the bone-in rib (aka prime rib?). And I would be ordering it barely cooked, what they call "Pittsburgh rare" around here and "bleu" in France. Yum.

CCP the "Pittsburgh rare" description is new one to me and live not far from Pgh. Hmmm!

They call it Pittsburgh rare, Pittsburgh black, Blue & Blue, Chicago style. It's got many names. It have to have a black char on the outside and rare to raw on the inside. Usually a piece of steak 2 inches thick or more.

Thanks for educating a "Pittsburgh girl". biggrin I guess I never heard the name because I really don't eat steak (digestion issues) and don't go to steakhouses.

King Fergus

Wow...In Scotland if we want it rare ( where I come from in case any other scots are reading this ) is Bare Naked... eek

SpamGoddess's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/10/2013
Posts: 292

King Fergus wrote:

It's my choice between these two on Yachtsmen menu..


OH! Ok, boneless ribeye makes more sense. Sorry I wasn't comprehending everything for some reason. laugh But yep, I would still go with the ribeye. But I reeeally don't care for Prime Rib for some reason.

__________________

alicemouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/22/2013
Posts: 2832

I'm with your DW, king. It's a fillet or nothing for me and only if it's very rare. I haven't had another cut of steak since I was little kid and my dad would do steaks on the grill.

__________________

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

King Fergus

Well here we go...I've discussed this meat problem with my DW and she said..Go for the Porterhouse...When I think about it, this may be my only time I get to try this beast..So I've decided to grab it by the horns and diet all day before arriving...LOL..

jw24's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/23/2013
Posts: 999

King Fergus wrote:
Well here we go...I've discussed this meat problem with my DW and she said..Go for the Porterhouse...When I think about it, this may be my only time I get to try this beast..So I've decided to grab it by the horns and diet all day before arriving...LOL..

Well, if it's your last trip as you say it is, then perhaps your DW is letting you go out with a bang in the form of letting you enjoy a $65 porterhouse steak.

__________________

"All my life I wonder how it feels to pass a day, not above them but part of them.

And out there living in the sun, give me one day out there, all I ask is one to hold forever. Out there where they all live unaware, what I'd give, what I'd dare, just to live one day out there."

SpamGoddess's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/10/2013
Posts: 292

The porterhouse seems like a fantastic choice. I wish I could afford to eat it. laugh

__________________

King Fergus

jw24 wrote:
King Fergus wrote:
Well here we go...I've discussed this meat problem with my DW and she said..Go for the Porterhouse...When I think about it, this may be my only time I get to try this beast..So I've decided to grab it by the horns and diet all day before arriving...LOL..

Well, if it's your last trip as you say it is, then perhaps your DW is letting you go out with a bang in the form of letting you enjoy a $65 porterhouse steak.

Please..Don't tease...Yes..I've paid big bucks in other places...Maybe this is my last Hooray....