Camera Shopping! Nikon D5200

Login to post comments
21 posts / 0 new
Kristen K.'s picture
Camera Shopping! Nikon D5200

As it looks like I'm going to have some mad money to spend, my family is insisting that I finally buy myself the "real" camera that I've been talking about getting for years and years. So I've been camera shopping online the past few days.

I think that I've settled on the Nikon D5200 kit with 18-55mm lens.

I rented a D5000 last year while I was in Disney and I loved it. This one is a little bit better than that, I think it has enough simple features that I can use it on automatic sometimes while I'm still learning how to use the more advanced features. There's a lot of room for me to grow with this camera while still being easy enough for my daughter to use.

Does anyone have a D5200? I'd love to hear thoughts and opinions of it if you have used one. I also took a look at the Rebel T4i for comparison and the reviews of the Nikon lenses I've read seem just a little bit better.

I'm also looking at getting the Nikon 33mm Prime Lens and a Nikon 55-200mm Zoom if the budget allows.

I am *SO* excited, this has been on my bucket list for ever.

The Colonel's picture

the 5300 is out and is loaded

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

RobynPrincess's picture

Sy doesn't have it but he knows a little about cameras and said it's a really good camera, but he said the same as colonel, go for the 300 if you can stretch the extra x

Our Very Merry 24 nighter Nov/Dec 15
Watson's go West May 15
The one with all the birthdays Oct 14 4 Big Birthdays and a Vow Renewal thrown in
The OMG trip June 14 30th Birthday present from the hubs
Girly trip March 14 A last min cheapy week
September 13 our first all DVC stay
TR May 2013 the last min bargain trip offsite
Oct 2012 TR with a cruise!big family trip featuring the beach club, AKL, the dream and a villa offsite
TR on a budget May - June 2011offsite condo
TR Sept - Oct 2010 big family trip in an offsite villa

Kristen K.'s picture

I did check out the D5300 and the biggest difference between them is that the D5300 has integrated WiFi & GPS, the new Expeed 4 processor, and a higher ISO performance. I'm not sure if those refinements are worth and extra $300 to me.

I don't care at all about the WiFi & GPS. The Expeed 4 isn't any faster that the 3 that's in the D5200. That means that it all comes down to the higher ISO performance, and the removal of the optical low pass filter. They're saying that the lack of that filter makes images even sharper in fine detail.

I have never done much low light photography because I never had a camera that could really handle it, so I guess I'm not sure how much I care about the higher ISO. I'm thinking that no matter what I buy it will be better than anything I've used recently. The OLF removal - meh - not sure what I think about that either. I usually do minimal post production and almost always sharpen my images. Can't I just take care of that in post?? Are having these things right in camera worth the extra $300-$400 that I may not have?

RobynPrincess's picture

In the uk there's only a 50 pound difference (about $90) between the 2 cameras so yeah I can kinda see your point now, it's a lot more!

Watson's go West May 15
The one with all the birthdays Oct 14 4 Big Birthdays and a Vow Renewal thrown in
Oct 2012 TR with a cruise!big family trip featuring the beach club, AKL, the dream and a villa offsite

The Watchmaker's picture

Happy shopping Kristen..Must admit I've been star struck by the photos on this awesome site by other members..So much so that we bought a new camera this year..It's a Canon SLR ( can't remember the model at this moment ) But I've taken inspiration from the ideas from others on here..Happy snapping people...

Mrferret's picture

Good luck with the Nikon awesome I traded down this year (a Canon also) from a DSLR to a CSC as i found the bigger camera too much of a pain to lug around.

Howdy Y'all
https://www.facebook.com/matthew.tucker1
Caution Content May be inappropriate

May/June 2016 Magic cruise to Norway
2017 Prtugal wedding adventures
2018 Alskan disney cruise ??
2019 Florida

The Watchmaker's picture

Mrferret wrote:
Good luck with the Nikon awesome I traded down this year (a Canon also) from a DSLR to a CSC as i found the bigger camera too much of a pain to lug around.

Excuse my lack of photo abbreviation stuff..What's a CSC.? confused

Mrferret's picture

The Watchmaker wrote:
Mrferret wrote:

Excuse my lack of photo abbreviation stuff..What's a CSC.? confused

Basicaly CSC is a smaller version of a DSLR camera.
They make it smaller mainly by removing the mirror system from behind the lens.They have a variety of attachments and lenses like their bigger brothers.
google canon EOS-M (thats what i have now) and canon EOS 350D (that is what i had) and you will get an idea of the size difference awesome

Howdy Y'all
https://www.facebook.com/matthew.tucker1
Caution Content May be inappropriate

May/June 2016 Magic cruise to Norway
2017 Prtugal wedding adventures
2018 Alskan disney cruise ??
2019 Florida

Kristen K.'s picture

Mrferret wrote:

I'm trying very hard to keep mirrorless out of my head, but I'm really impressed with the pictures from KenJ's new compact. I looked at the Nikon 1 J4 briefly but I think I want to stick with the DSLR because I've wanted one for so long.

Kristen K.'s picture

I bought my new camera today! banana

I did get the Nikon D5200 with a 18-55mm lens, and an additional 55-200mm zoom. I did not buy the 35mm prime that I want but my budget only stretched so far. I can not wait to get down to Disney in February and start building my image collection back up. So looking forward to lots of new pics!

Congrats Kristen! That's a fine camera! awesome

The Colonel's picture

Enjoy it!

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

Magic Mirror's picture

yeah yeah pillowfight yeah yeah

Congratulations on your new camera!

Brinbunny's picture

clapping clapping clapping

So pleased for you, an awesome trip with an awesome camera.

Enjoy

The Watchmaker's picture

Great choice..Happy snapping.. clapping

MrHub's picture

Great Kristen, congrats!

RobynPrincess's picture

Great choice! Looking forward to all the snaps!

Watson's go West May 15

Kristen K. wrote:

I did get the Nikon D5200 with a 18-55mm lens, and an additional 55-200mm zoom. I did not buy the 35mm prime that I want but my budget only stretched so far. I can not wait to get down to Disney in February and start building my image collection back up. So looking forward to lots of new pics!

Kristen I have a 35mm F1.8 I would sell you as Angels just bought me the 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8! 2 of Nikon's holy trinity lenses! when are you going to be down in disney I will be there the 22nd and if you are there we can meet up and save you shipping on the lens. I have maybe 600 actuation's on it if that. I always went for my 50mm on my d7000 because it has the focus motor in the body (something the 5200 doesn't have) If you are interested in it just pm me. research the 70-300 VRII if you like the 55-200 you would love it. Welcome to the Nikon family

Kristen K.'s picture

Hazegry wrote:
Kristen K. wrote:

Kristen I have a 35mm F1.8 I would sell you as Angels just bought me the 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8! 2 of Nikon's holy trinity lenses! when are you going to be down in disney I will be there the 22nd and if you are there we can meet up and save you shipping on the lens. I have maybe 600 actuation's on it if that. I always went for my 50mm on my d7000 because it has the focus motor in the body (something the 5200 doesn't have) If you are interested in it just pm me. research the 70-300 VRII if you like the 55-200 you would love it. Welcome to the Nikon family

Just sent you a PM

Replied