Charging back to your room

Login to post comments
21 posts / 0 new
mimi's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/27/2012
Posts: 234
Charging back to your room

Good day everyone! We received our Mickey mail yesterday! yay My husband was very excited (he wasn't expecting it)!

I would like to ask all you seasoned WDW travelers about charging things back to your room - I understand that you can charge (most) souvenir shopping back to your room, but what about restaurant charges? Quick Serve charges? even the food booths at the flower and garden show? If we're not able to charge back to the room, do they all accept debit/charge cards?

Has anyone had any rotten experiences with charges to your room?

Oh, a quick general question too - Is there anything anyone can think of that you wished you would have brought or packed on any of your WDW trips?
We'll be driving and one good idea item we were advised to bring was a roll of duct tape (in case of any of issues with any of the hoses)....

twilightsparrow's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/16/2012
Posts: 337

Good morning mimi...we always charge back to our room...including the tips when dining. We do take cash with us should we be able to not charge something, but we've pretty much always been able to charge to the room. One trick I did though was I put alot of our "spending money" on Disney gift cards, and would go every 2 days to pay off some of our room charges and get a balance from them. This way we kept track of things (I picked up the gift card/paying down charges tip from some of our forum members).

__________________

AKV-Kidani 8/2013 ~ PORS 11/2012 ~ CBR 11/2010 ~ CBR 5/2010

OUR DVC HOME: SSR

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 21851

Hi Mimi!

Yes, you can charge just about anything back to your room. There are a couple of ice cream or popcorn carts that might not be able to do it, but most do. I've never had any problems using that service.

The one thing I always pack is cold medicine. After going with the kids in 2010 when we all suddenly took ill and I paid a gazillion dollars for cold medicine and cough syrup in the AKL gift shop, I always bring it along now.

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9405

Hi Mimi ,we charge back to our room and have never had a problem. We usually only charge valet and maybe some drinks, but we get an itemized list at the end of our stay and they also email one to me. You can also have a limit set for how much can be charged to your room.

Offline
Joined: 08/01/2012
Posts: 2037

yay yay clapping yay yay Mickey Mail!

Allie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/26/2012
Posts: 5403

mrhub wrote:
Hi Mimi ,we charge back to our room and have never had a problem. We usually only charge valet and maybe some drinks, but we get an itemized list at the end of our stay and they also email one to me. You can also have a limit set for how much can be charged to your room.

Oh that's a cool feature. My main reason for not charging back to the room is I like to keep better tabs on what I'm spending and would be worried I'd spend too much if I didn't have a way to regulate it. Now that I know you can put a cap on your spending, I'd be more likely to consider using this.

JMUDukz's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2012
Posts: 822

I haven't found too many spots that don't allow you to charge back to your room and it really is super convenient - I just threw my key card into my pocket and off I went. My only issue with charging back to my room is when the bill comes. Boy, it SURE is easy to hand over that little card. MUCH, MUCH harder to embrace reality when the envelope your bill comes in is over an inch thick... gaah

__________________

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

JoAnn C's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/20/2011
Posts: 6550

mimi wrote:
Has anyone had any rotten experiences with charges to your room?

I've never purposefully charged something to my room. Twice I had room charges from restaurants where I left cash for the item that was charged. The CMs at Pop had taken care of it and the charges were credited. Last year, I didn't attach a credit card to my room so nothing could be charged.

__________________

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

mimi's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/27/2012
Posts: 234

Good morning and hello to everyone again! Thank you for all the very helpful information!

My husband and I rarely ever carry cash - it's easier for me to track our purchases - that's not to say I'm a disciplined spender - however, I am pretty obsessive about reconciling our charges. (I'm going to miss my spreadsheets terribly mad )

I'm thrilled to be able to charge back to the room. I hoping we can get a daily account of all our charges.

******

mrhub wrote:
You can also have a limit set for how much can be charged to your room.

This sounds like a very safe option - thank you! Smile

JMUDukz wrote:
MUCH, MUCH harder to embrace reality when the envelope your bill comes in is over an inch thick... gaah

I know what you mean! laugh

JoAnn C Twice I had room charges from restaurants where I left cash for the item that was charged. [/quote wrote:

Yikes! eek I'm sorry to hear that. Very glad it was resolved quickly.

Kristen K. wrote:
The one thing I always pack is cold medicine. After going with the kids in 2010 when we all suddenly took ill and I paid a gazillion dollars for cold medicine and cough syrup in the AKL gift shop, I always bring it along now.

Thank you for the excellent suggestion - it also reminded me to pack a mini first aid pack. awesome

--
I'd love to hear any more tips and tricks from any of the other mouseketeers out there too! Our trip is coming up fast - really, really - did I say really -excited! yay yay yay

mimi's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/27/2012
Posts: 234

Sorry the quotes came out all goofy --- they looked good when I typed it out.... sorry if they are confusing sad

Offline
Joined: 08/16/2011
Posts: 7

we always charge back to our room and have never had any issues. It is so convenient. Glad you packed your first aid kit, that is one of the first things that I pack. You dont want to have to pay 4.99 for a couple of tylenol.

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9405

No worries Mimi, god that's nothing. awesome

WDWfanatic's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/18/2013
Posts: 356

We always charge back to the room, never had an issue.

One thing we did do, we ventured out to go to church in Kissimmee, took a wrong turn and ended up on an unmanned toll only offramp, no toll booth, no person, just one of those coin catch bucket things, and we had $0 change in the truck, not even a penny. A nice lady stopped and gave us 2 quarters so that we didn't have to back all the way down the ramp, or run the toll and get a welcome home ticket in the mail. Now, we keep a ton of extra quarters in the truck just in case we get caught doing the same thing again. Or in case we run into someone who has done the same thing.

Normally, when we park at the resort, we take all money out of the truck, but that has changed.

__________________

Tammi

mimi's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/27/2012
Posts: 234

WDWfanatic wrote:
Now, we keep a ton of extra quarters in the truck just in case we get caught doing the same thing again. Or in case we run into someone who has done the same thing.

Awesome suggestion! awesome You are all a superb wealth of informtion muchlove

I'm taking lots of notes!

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9405

WDWfanatic wrote:
We always charge back to the room, never had an issue.

One thing we did do, we ventured out to go to church in Kissimmee, took a wrong turn and ended up on an unmanned toll only offramp, no toll booth, no person, just one of those coin catch bucket things, and we had $0 change in the truck, not even a penny. A nice lady stopped and gave us 2 quarters so that we didn't have to back all the way down the ramp, or run the toll and get a welcome home ticket in the mail. Now, we keep a ton of extra quarters in the truck just in case we get caught doing the same thing again. Or in case we run into someone who has done the same thing.

Normally, when we park at the resort, we take all money out of the truck, but that has changed.

We got on that same toll road this past trip. That's a kick, they let you get on, but your not getting off! laugh wink

WDWfanatic's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/18/2013
Posts: 356

I don't want to hijack this thread, but what is up with that toll exit thing?? It's not a toll road?!?! The signage is lacking! I am not happy that it happened to you too, but I am happy that I am not the only one that it happened to. biggrin

__________________

Tammi

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9405

WDWfanatic wrote:
I don't want to hijack this thread, but what is up with that toll exit thing?? It's not a toll road?!?! The signage is lacking! I am not happy that it happened to you too, but I am happy that I am not the only one that it happened to. biggrin

Yeah it says it's a toll road, but it's not one like I ever saw before. They have random toll booths in the middle of the highway too, but off to the side and of course they don't except E-Z Pass like every other state on the east coast does.

Okay back to the regular scheduled thread! Sorry.

Aliceacc's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/16/2013
Posts: 75

Congratulations on your wedding and upcoming honeymoon!

We've never had any issues charging back to our room. It makes things so much easier if, say, we're at the pool and want a pina colada-- no need to have cash.

A couple of things we always bring:
- a power strip so we can charge the phones, the laptop and whatever.

- a hanging sweater or shoe organizer (kind of like this: http://www.meijer.com/s/honey-can-do-6-shelf-hanging-sweater-organizer/_/R-230894;jsessionid=9984388746F7EEEF77015B899C8D0034.instance01?CAWELAID=1599105634&cagpspn=pla&cmpid=Google-G_US_Meijer_eCom_PLA_Home_Improvement&kpid=SFT-01003 ) It goes into the closet and holds the shoes, the wallets, the sunglasses... basically all the stuff that you drop as soon as you enter the resort. Mornings are a whole lot easier when all 5 of us can find our most important stuff. You can get it at a Bed, Bath and Beyond type of store, or at an Ikea if there's one nearby.

- a bunch of disposable ponchos. We go in August, and daily showers are pretty predictable.

- a couple of Mistymate personal misters. (You can get them at amazon year round, though we've found them locally during the summer.) Those August days can get pretty steamy, and they really do help!

Have a great trip!

__________________

August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club. We're returning to the Beach Club in July/August 2014.

mimi's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/27/2012
Posts: 234

Aliceacc wrote:
Congratulations on your wedding and upcoming honeymoon!

A couple of things we always bring:
- a power strip so we can charge the phones, the laptop and whatever.

- a hanging sweater or shoe organizer
- a bunch of disposable ponchos. We go in August, and daily showers are pretty predictable.

Have a great trip!

Thank you very much Aliceacc! Our upcoming honeymoon is a very long overdue one, we were married in 2007 and we are just finally able to afford an actual honeymoon!

We've got the powerstrip on our list, we have oodles of electronics that need charging laugh

I like the organizer and disposable poncho ideas! Thank you!

mikesteffen's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/25/2013
Posts: 81

I love being able to charge to the room. Our recent trip, the wife had the souvenir money on a bank account and used the debit card for that account for souvenir purchases. She kept track of her balance, she had a specific amount of money on the account and when it was gone she was done. So that forced her to keep track of it.

Then I had the meal money on an account attached to the room cards. Which ever one of us made a meal purchase would use the room card. Then I kept the meal receipts and reconciled each night back at the room. Brought the laptop along and used a spreadsheet. I had the meals planned out along with estimated cost for each days meals.

We kept on track with the budget and I kept the record of charges accurate to the penny.

I know that probably sounds a little overboard but we were on a fairly tight budget without any leeway for going over. So it was necessary to keep pretty close track.

mimi's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/27/2012
Posts: 234

mikesteffen wrote:
We kept on track with the budget and I kept the record of charges accurate to the penny.

I know that probably sounds a little overboard but we were on a fairly tight budget without any leeway for going over. So it was necessary to keep pretty close track.

I don't think it sounds overboard at all!!! Smile

I have a great spreadsheet that I work on everyday tracking expenses and other financial "stuff". I actually enjoy it (yup, kinda geeky in that way). We don't have a laptop or anything that we would be able to take along, so I'm sure I'll be reconciling everything on paper (without formulas! gaah )

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who is so detailed with their reconciliation's yay

Thank you for the separate debit card suggestion - sounds like a great way to discipline my spending!