Disney Is Currently Putting Up Rope Fencing Along the Beaches

Login to post comments
38 posts / 0 new
Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 21496
Disney Is Currently Putting Up Rope Fencing Along the Beaches

I'm reading a lot of chatter that Disney is putting up rope fences along all the beaches today.
Because, you know, no way a toddler or an alligator is going to slip under a rope.

Pictures from the Poly at the link below
https://www.facebook.com/Tikimanpages/posts/1213505472027458

Video from the Grand
https://www.facebook.com/attractionsmagazine/videos/vb.8093464329/10154224319349330/?type=2&theater

What are your thoughts?

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1555

I think they are being forced to do something, even if it's just for show. There will definitely be changes happening there and if anyone thinks otherwise, they are delusional IMO. I seriously can see them fencing off the beaches so that there is a physical barrier between the beach and the water. Perhaps short term, but also maybe long term.

In my opinion, what happened the other day was a rare thing. Like someone getting struck by lightning. Even though Disney is not at all in fault in my eyes, they will be forced to make visible changes to appease those that think they are in some way responsible for an act of nature (and let's face it, their insurance company too).

Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 1868

I really do not mind the fences going up at all. They will blend very well at the Poly but maybe not so much at the Grand Floridian. I do not think the serve much purpose though other than to make it very clear they do not want you in the water. I do also believe there will still be people in the water.

Also as we thought, the Electric Water Pageant has started again minus the gator.

I agree with Ken, I am sure more changes will be coming.

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1555

scrappy wrote:
I really do not mind the fences going up at all. They will blend very well at the Poly but maybe not so much at the Grand Floridian. I do not think the serve much purpose though other than to make it very clear they do not want you in the water. I do also believe there will still be people in the water.

Also as we thought, the Electric Water Pageant has started again minus the gator.

I agree with Ken, I am sure more changes will be coming.

I hadn't thought of this. The fences would definitely be appropriate just to serve as a very visible warning not to enter the water. I had originally pictured ugly metal fencing, but thinking of it more, Disney would never do something so ugly.

Sad about the gator in EWP though. Gators as as much a part of Florida as oranges.

I just don't like to see major change based on a rare event or over-sensitive people. Common sense and a reality check need to kick in at some point.

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 21496

I don't know - it just all makes me so sad. sad

Spook's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/27/2012
Posts: 2741

I don't think we've ever been to any of the beaches at the resorts so the ropes/fences don't bother me. We probably will hardly ever see them! I believe they will help keep (most) people out of the water.

__________________

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker Free Disney Tickers

Spook's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/27/2012
Posts: 2741

KenJ wrote:
scrappy wrote:
I really do not mind the fences going up at all. They will blend very well at the Poly but maybe not so much at the Grand Floridian. I do not think the serve much purpose though other than to make it very clear they do not want you in the water. I do also believe there will still be people in the water.

Also as we thought, the Electric Water Pageant has started again minus the gator.

I agree with Ken, I am sure more changes will be coming.

I hadn't thought of this. The fences would definitely be appropriate just to serve as a very visible warning not to enter the water. I had originally pictured ugly metal fencing, but thinking of it more, Disney would never do something so ugly.

Sad about the gator in EWP though. Gators as as much a part of Florida as oranges.

I just don't like to see major change based on a rare event or over-sensitive people. Common sense and a reality check need to kick in at some point.

I agree about the water pageant. Seems a bit much. Hopefully it's temporary until things settle down. Removing the joke on the Jungle Cruise was the right thing to do though in my opinion as it pretty much references exactly what happened.

__________________

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker Free Disney Tickers

ChipnDaleFan's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/02/2010
Posts: 882

I agree that removing the Jungle Cruise was in good taste, but removing the gator from the pageant is a bit much. They can't simply wipe out all gator references from the parks. They'd have to completely revamp the water park statues as well since there are gator references at both and at Port Orleans as well.

__________________

Grovesnor offsite '93 ~ Port Orleans '94 ~ Port Orleans '95 ~ Caribbean Beach '97~ Carribbean Beach '99 ~ Caribbean Beach '00 ~ Offsite '02~ Caribbean Beach '08 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter '10 ~ Dolphin/Hilton '12-~All Star Sports '16

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9373

This is from Chip & Company's web page on 6/17:

Attractions

Skippers on both the Disneyland and Disney World Jungle Cruise ride have been ordered not to tell any more jokes about crocodiles eating children after Tuesday night's tragic event. There are rumblings online that Disney may even cut crocodiles and alligators from some of their attractions. Tick-Tock Croc from Peter Pan has not appeared in the Festival of Fantasy Parade and it's uncertain if Louis the Alligator from Disney's Princess and the Frog will be included in the new stage show, Mickey's Royal Friendship Faire, that debuted today at Magic Kingdom.

Vettelover's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2009
Posts: 4648

Thanks for the update MrHub.

__________________

Spook's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/27/2012
Posts: 2741

MrHub wrote:
This is from Chip & Company's web page on 6/17:

Attractions

Skippers on both the Disneyland and Disney World Jungle Cruise ride have been ordered not to tell any more jokes about crocodiles eating children after Tuesday night's tragic event. There are rumblings online that Disney may even cut crocodiles and alligators from some of their attractions. Tick-Tock Croc from Peter Pan has not appeared in the Festival of Fantasy Parade and it's uncertain if Louis the Alligator from Disney's Princess and the Frog will be included in the new stage show, Mickey's Royal Friendship Faire, that debuted today at Magic Kingdom.

That's too much in my opinion. Unless it's temporary as a sign of respect or something.

__________________

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker Free Disney Tickers

JanJ's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/14/2013
Posts: 1635

Spook wrote:
MrHub wrote:
This is from Chip & Company's web page on 6/17:

Attractions

Skippers on both the Disneyland and Disney World Jungle Cruise ride have been ordered not to tell any more jokes about crocodiles eating children after Tuesday night's tragic event. There are rumblings online that Disney may even cut crocodiles and alligators from some of their attractions. Tick-Tock Croc from Peter Pan has not appeared in the Festival of Fantasy Parade and it's uncertain if Louis the Alligator from Disney's Princess and the Frog will be included in the new stage show, Mickey's Royal Friendship Faire, that debuted today at Magic Kingdom.

That's too much in my opinion. Unless it's temporary as a sign of respect or something.

I agree with this. Unless its temporary, this is going overboard IMHO.

crazycatperson's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/19/2011
Posts: 3709

I knew they would.

Mandy's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/18/2013
Posts: 2294

Disney is trying to get ride of all references to gators and crocs except in Peter Pans Flight where some of the animantronics will get changed.

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9373

Mandy wrote:
Disney is trying to get ride of all references to gators and crocs except in Peter Pans Flight where some of the animantronics will get changed.

They are going way way overboard on this as far as I am concerned. There are still going to be alligators in the water regardless of what they do, unless they do a complete sterilization of the lake and separation from Bay Lake and then your going to have the animal rights activists getting involved, which I am amazed they are not already. They will still have the signs up on the beaches warning about the alligators. Crazy, just crazy.

JMed's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/16/2014
Posts: 3693

MrHub wrote:
Mandy wrote:
Disney is trying to get ride of all references to gators and crocs except in Peter Pans Flight where some of the animantronics will get changed.

They are going way way overboard on this as far as I am concerned. There are still going to be alligators in the water regardless of what they do, unless they do a complete sterilization of the lake and separation from Bay Lake and then your going to have the animal rights activists getting involved, which I am amazed they are not already. They will still have the signs up on the beaches warning about the alligators. Crazy, just crazy.

I have to agree with you too Mr Hub.

__________________

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

kathys's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/01/2013
Posts: 694

JMed wrote:
MrHub wrote:
Mandy wrote:
Disney is trying to get ride of all references to gators and crocs except in Peter Pans Flight where some of the animantronics will get changed.

They are going way way overboard on this as far as I am concerned. There are still going to be alligators in the water regardless of what they do, unless they do a complete sterilization of the lake and separation from Bay Lake and then your going to have the animal rights activists getting involved, which I am amazed they are not already. They will still have the signs up on the beaches warning about the alligators. Crazy, just crazy.

I have to agree with you too Mr Hub.

Totally agree with MrHub...it is like closing the barn door after all the animals have escaped. And I understand being a little sensitive right now to all the people who saw that terrible event unfold and are still visiting Disney. But things have to go back to they way they were and people have to be aware that there are alligators and snakes. Am just really concerned how much this is going to cost Disney in lawsuits and ultimately how much Disney is going to pass on to us. Sad

__________________

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1555

Wow, this whole situation is crazy. The incident that occurred was extremely isolated. Disney World has not had this happen in all of its years in operation. I really wish our society could just recognize the fact that its a rare occurrence and not go overboard in trying to fix something that isn't broken.

I really think that they should just add additional signage at the beaches to state that alligators may be present for those that didn't do their homework and call it a day. Removing all references to crocs and gators is just nuts.

Again, we live in a law suit crazy society where someone is always to blame, even in situation where its just an act of nature. If I get struck by lightning while walking in a field, who can I blame, the person that owns the field? Should we also remove any symbols or objects that look like or represent a lightning bolt?

This stuff really makes me furious. Total overkill and a waste of time.

JMed's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/16/2014
Posts: 3693

KenJ wrote:
This whole situation is crazy. The incident that occurred was extremely isolated. Disney World has not had this happen in all of its years in operation. I really wish our society could just recognize the fact that it a rare occurrence and not go overboard in trying to fix something that isn't broken.

I really think that they should just add additional signage at the beaches to state that alligators may be present for those that didn't do their homework and call it a day. Removing all references to crocs and gators is just nuts.

Again, we live in a law suit crazy society where someone is always to blame, even in situation where its just an act of nature. If I get struck by lightning while walking in a field, who can I blame? Should we then remove any symbol or object that looks like or represents a lightning bolt?

This stuff really makes me furious. Total overkill and a waste of time.

And there goes Harry Potter at Universal... just saying

__________________

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 21496

JMed wrote:
KenJ wrote:
This whole situation is crazy. The incident that occurred was extremely isolated. Disney World has not had this happen in all of its years in operation. I really wish our society could just recognize the fact that it a rare occurrence and not go overboard in trying to fix something that isn't broken.

I really think that they should just add additional signage at the beaches to state that alligators may be present for those that didn't do their homework and call it a day. Removing all references to crocs and gators is just nuts.

Again, we live in a law suit crazy society where someone is always to blame, even in situation where its just an act of nature. If I get struck by lightning while walking in a field, who can I blame? Should we then remove any symbol or object that looks like or represents a lightning bolt?

This stuff really makes me furious. Total overkill and a waste of time.

And there goes Harry Potter at Universal... just saying

rolling rolling rolling

That's awesome.
My thought was "Oh damn... Zeus is NOT going to be happy with that."

Allie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/26/2012
Posts: 5359

MrHub wrote:
This is from Chip & Company's web page on 6/17:

Attractions

Skippers on both the Disneyland and Disney World Jungle Cruise ride have been ordered not to tell any more jokes about crocodiles eating children after Tuesday night's tragic event. There are rumblings online that Disney may even cut crocodiles and alligators from some of their attractions. Tick-Tock Croc from Peter Pan has not appeared in the Festival of Fantasy Parade and it's uncertain if Louis the Alligator from Disney's Princess and the Frog will be included in the new stage show, Mickey's Royal Friendship Faire, that debuted today at Magic Kingdom.

The seriously removed the Croc from the Festival of Fantasy Parade?! That doesn't even make any sense! I get the Jungle Cruise because it is directly referencing that type of incident, but you have got to be kidding me with trying to pretend that crocodiles and alligators don't exist at all now.

KenJ wrote:
Wow, this whole situation is crazy. The incident that occurred was extremely isolated. Disney World has not had this happen in all of its years in operation. I really wish our society could just recognize the fact that its a rare occurrence and not go overboard in trying to fix something that isn't broken.

Exactly. It is a horrific accident and no one is to blame. But this is the first time it has ever happened and I think Disney has done more then their due diligence by putting up the rope fences and replacing signs.

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1555

"Walt Disney World makes plans to drain Seven Seas Lagoon and create new super sized parking lot for Magic Kingdom and surrounding resorts".

eek

wink

Spook's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/27/2012
Posts: 2741

KenJ wrote:
"Walt Disney World makes plans to drain Seven Seas Lagoon and create new super sized parking lot for Magic Kingdom and surrounding resorts".

eek

wink

Now THAT would be way too far laugh
But then they could charge more for premium parking Wink

__________________

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker Free Disney Tickers

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1555

Spook wrote:
KenJ wrote:
"Walt Disney World makes plans to drain Seven Seas Lagoon and create new super sized parking lot for Magic Kingdom and surrounding resorts".

eek

wink

Now THAT would be way too far laugh
But then they could charge more for premium parking Wink

And that balloon at Disney Springs? Gone. Because there's a chance that someone might actually spot an alligator in the water from the bird's eye view.

The Colonel's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/08/2012
Posts: 2936

ESPN Zone just announced there will no longer be Florida Gator football games viewed there.

__________________

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

The Colonel's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/08/2012
Posts: 2936

The phrase "see you later, *&%*$" is now banned on Disney property.

__________________

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

The Colonel's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/08/2012
Posts: 2936

In the future when referring to alligators, gators, or crocodiles in front of children under the age of 12, or mentally challenged adults, please use the term, "A-word".

__________________

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

The Colonel's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/08/2012
Posts: 2936

And don't think "in a while, *&%$*" is acceptable either.

__________________

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1555

The Colonel wrote:
The phrase "see you later, *&%*$" is now banned on Disney property.

What about "after while crocodile"? Or is that banned too?

The Colonel's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/08/2012
Posts: 2936

"Crocodile" tears will be known as "fake tears of grief".

__________________

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

The Colonel's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/08/2012
Posts: 2936

Lacoste shirts are strictly forbidden!

__________________

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC