Going to Disneyland Paris! Need some honest advice.

Login to post comments
16 posts / 0 new
lolastardust's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/07/2013
Posts: 375
Going to Disneyland Paris! Need some honest advice.

Hi all,

I've not been active for a while because things got kind of crazy what with us buying a house and all, plus I had a major case of the post-Disney blues after our Disneymoon and couldn't cope with seeing anything Disney related for a while, as it made me miss my honeymoon too badly!

Anyway, I have now just about recovered from this black hole, and we are planning a wee mini-trip to Disneyland Paris in March for our anniversary (our anniversary is in April but March dates look much cheaper).

My original plan was to spend a few days in Paris proper, and a few days in Disney, but having spoken to a few friends and family who have been to DLP, I am now wondering whether a few days in DLP is too long? Important information: we are two young fit adults who love walking, and we're both major Disney nerds. I'm the type of person who will spend longer than needed in the parks, walking, shopping, chilling, looking at other hotels, just because I like to explore and be immersed in the Disney experience. For this reason, I really want to spend a few nights in a DLP hotel and really take my time exploring. Friends and family have said things that have contradicted my gut instinct - one friend said that although she loved DLP, a day was enough, and my sister who worked in the park, said that she wouldn't even bother visiting it now!

So I am just wondering what everyone here thinks about duration of DLP stays? I trust your opinions because you love Disney as much as I do!

We are probably looking at staying in Hotel Cheyenne, and are both vegetarians, just in case anyone has any other useful tips for us.

Thanks very much!

Lauren x

Brinbunny's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/23/2014
Posts: 645

I love DLP and went 4 or 5 times over a year. I did 7 days in the summer which was too long. Now because DS17 and I are huge pin traders we go over especially for Trading events which take up 1 full day (Saturday) we now do Friday arriving at 8am (driving overnight) and leave on Sunday or Monday at 8pm (Driving back over night)

We are now more into browsing the parks and going on the rides that take our fancy, and of course pin trading. The Studios can be done in a day and the Main park I would say 1.5 days, this is for all rides and parades ect.

The tours are fab - and take up a whole morning or afternoon.

The Cheyenne is also my fave hotel tied with the New York.

I know people are down on DLP especially after visiting WDW and comparing the 2 but for a park in it's own right I love it. It's also fun to take an afternoon/ evening and visit each one of the 7 hotels and have a drink in each one. They are all very different and the theming is fab.

I would say the only downside is cost. You can pay as much if not more than a visit to WDW (from the UK utilizing deals)but DLP does provide a change of pace, not so much planning or time required.

The Watchmaker's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/08/2014
Posts: 1802

Never been to DLP, but good friends went a few years back and weren't that impressed and also thought the Euro wasn't good value for them,but hey, everyone has different views on different holidays,what they didn't like I maybe love...I think it all depends how you look at it..They did go to WDW last year and loved it..A bit like us when we went to DL in California in 2001.To me it was a part of our three week vacation but I wasn't gobsmacked until I went to WDW in Orlando...I say go and enjoy yourselfs..Any Disney vacation is better than sitting at home.. awesome

lolastardust's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/07/2013
Posts: 375

Brinbunny wrote:
I love DLP and went 4 or 5 times over a year. I did 7 days in the summer which was too long. Now because DS17 and I are huge pin traders we go over especially for Trading events which take up 1 full day (Saturday) we now do Friday arriving at 8am (driving overnight) and leave on Sunday or Monday at 8pm (Driving back over night)

We are now more into browsing the parks and going on the rides that take our fancy, and of course pin trading. The Studios can be done in a day and the Main park I would say 1.5 days, this is for all rides and parades ect.

The tours are fab - and take up a whole morning or afternoon.

The Cheyenne is also my fave hotel tied with the New York.

I know people are down on DLP especially after visiting WDW and comparing the 2 but for a park in it's own right I love it. It's also fun to take an afternoon/ evening and visit each one of the 7 hotels and have a drink in each one. They are all very different and the theming is fab.

I would say the only downside is cost. You can pay as much if not more than a visit to WDW (from the UK utilizing deals)but DLP does provide a change of pace, not so much planning or time required.

Wow, this is really reassuring. I have a collection of pins and will probably spend a fair amount of time scouting out new and interesting pins. I also have this habit of coming up with games/targets for us on holiday, which tend to keep us really busy and mean we don't get bored.

One problem for us with WDW is that we were only there for ten days, and we were so busy trying to get on all the important attractions/meet important characters, that we didn't get a lot of 'chill time'. I would have enjoyed having more time to try different bars, food, and generally enjoy the park ambience. I get the impression that we will have more time for this in Paris!

We are planning to spend time in Paris generally before DLP, and tbh we just couldn't justify visiting Paris and NOT doing DLP. I'm going to probably stick with my original plan of 3 nights in DLP, which should give us two full park days, and two afternoons to chill and explore.

Thanks very much for the advice - I really do think I'm going to love it there, and you've definitely reassured me that it's worth a visit! Laughing out loud x

lolastardust's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/07/2013
Posts: 375

The Watchmaker wrote:
Any Disney vacation is better than sitting at home.. awesome

haha too true! tbh I think that for Disney freaks like us, we're just happy to be there in the parks. We're not looking for a jam-packed family holiday because it's just the two of us - we just like being IN a Disney park and getting to appreciate the surroundings. Thanks guys! x

designedbydisney's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/24/2013
Posts: 591

I am a big fan of DLP but it has its faults so I'll do you a handy pros and cons list

Pros
The disnyland park is solo beautiful, it really puts the magi kigdom to shame, it's more intermit and so much more detailed it feels more like a real place. The fantasyland is beautiful but the main street and adventureland looked lived in.

Everything has a backstory, frontier land is all tied together thunder mountain and phantom manor are connected in story.

The high end resturants are suppierior to Wdw, walts on Main Street is amazing as is inventions at the disneyland hotel.

You can sleep in the park, by staying at the disneyland hotel.

Character dinning isn't as crowed

Characters still walk around the park

Lots of older rides that are gone from Wdw are still there like star tours 1.0, snow whites scary adventures, ect...

Lots of exculsive attractions, the dragon, hooks boat, Alice's maze, phantom manor, crushes coaster, Ratouille,

Discovery land is better then tomorrow land.

Cons

Rides are in French
The public mob characters
The public are rude, will smoke everywhere
Euro pines do not queue
Maintains is needed
Counter service food is bad
There is nothing for veggies to eat
Food is expensive
The studios park is the worst disney park in the world
Toy story play land is awful
Cms are often rude (French) the American ones are great though

I would go two days one day just in disneyland park, then a breakfast at downtown disney in chef mickeys or at inventions inthe disneyland hotel, followed by a morning in the studios to see the shows and exculsive rides and then spend the afternoon in the Disneyland park.

Offline
Joined: 08/30/2008
Posts: 3555

So, can you buy me some pins while you're there?

Smile

Zz.

__________________

No longer an active member.

Offline
Joined: 11/15/2012
Posts: 894

Did 4 days in DLP last year and that was enough. They didn't really get pins out there, we wore our lanyards but didn't see many people with pins.

__________________

lolastardust's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/07/2013
Posts: 375

Thanks for the tips everyone! Will look into menus for veggies, and take all of the advice into consideration. SUPER excited about Snow White ride! That was one of my favourites at WDW as a child and I was devastated to find out it was gone. yay x

Sid Man's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/06/2014
Posts: 528

In response to the cons - It is France (and with no disrespect to any of our French friends here), they tend to be quite brusque with their behaviour. It can come across as pretty rude, but at the same time they are being apologetic.

I went to DLP for 2 days over a long weekend, bookending the trip with days in Paris (1 on each side). It is possibly just about enough time - you'll cover the entire park in that time and should be able to ride most things.

Yes, all of the rides are French audio but if you're aware of the rides from DL and WDW, then you'll have the audio running through your heads as you wait in any case. I had to translate using my pigeon French to my two companions...that was fun as I tried to match what I understood with the narration from the American counterparts!

Hopefully you're going at a time when all of the CMs are working. I had the misfortune to go during a strike and believe me, the CMs (French or otherwise) make a HUGE difference to creating the atmosphere to the point where I wondered whether it was all worth it or not!

In any case, enjoy your trip....!

__________________

Yes, that's me in the profile pic...kudos for guessing the movie...

Find me on Facebook

lolastardust's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/07/2013
Posts: 375

Thanks, we're from the UK and have taken many trips around Europe, so we're familiar with European manners being a little more brusque than other places. That's us booked up now for three nights in Paris proper, three in DLP. We'll be in DLP from the 24th-27th March. I think this should be plenty of time for us to soak up the atmosphere and obsessively explore the parks without getting too bored. I'm really looking forward to it, and would love to see any good trip reports from DLP from anyone who has been. We're hopefully doing WDW the following year and this is a great stopgap for us, especially since one of my bucket list items is to visit every Disney park.

SpamGoddess's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/10/2013
Posts: 292

I don't know if you've already seen it, but you may want to check out disneytouristblog.com and everything he's written about Disneyland Paris! As someone who wants to visit all of the Disney Parks abroad, Tom appears to be one of the best resources for this.

__________________

lolastardust's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/07/2013
Posts: 375

Hey, yeah, I love disneytouristblog. It's a really great blog from a young couple's perspective, which helps us, and they're generally really fair on their reviews. Love it!

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 22475

SpamGoddess wrote:
I don't know if you've already seen it, but you may want to check out disneytouristblog.com and everything he's written about Disneyland Paris! As someone who wants to visit all of the Disney Parks abroad, Tom appears to be one of the best resources for this.

He is indeed, and he has a very high standard of reporting, as well as being my absolutely favorite Disney photographer!

EmFord's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/12/2014
Posts: 414

Kristen K. wrote:
SpamGoddess wrote:
I don't know if you've already seen it, but you may want to check out disneytouristblog.com and everything he's written about Disneyland Paris! As someone who wants to visit all of the Disney Parks abroad, Tom appears to be one of the best resources for this.

He is indeed, and he has a very high standard of reporting, as well as being my absolutely favorite Disney photographer!

Yes! His pictures are the best! Really makes me feel like I'm experiencing things with him

__________________

lolastardust's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/07/2013
Posts: 375

EmFord wrote:
Kristen K. wrote:
SpamGoddess wrote:
I don't know if you've already seen it, but you may want to check out disneytouristblog.com and everything he's written about Disneyland Paris! As someone who wants to visit all of the Disney Parks abroad, Tom appears to be one of the best resources for this.

He is indeed, and he has a very high standard of reporting, as well as being my absolutely favorite Disney photographer!

Yes! His pictures are the best! Really makes me feel like I'm experiencing things with him

Totally! Almost makes you less sad about not being in Disney because you get to experience it with him.