Going to just resort, no parks

Login to post comments
16 posts / 0 new
Offline
Joined: 07/02/2011
Posts: 988
Going to just resort, no parks

If you were just going to spend 1 or 2 days at one of Disney's resort hotels, where would you stay if going to the parks was not in the plan?

Mase's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2011
Posts: 5438

Animal Kingdom Lodge. Just so much extra activities to do there. Mingle with the animals with Night Vision. Learn about all of the art that is there. Just all sorts of fun things to do.

__________________

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

Offline
Joined: 07/02/2011
Posts: 988

Love the new pug pic! It rocks!

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23463

I vote 100% for Animal Kingdom Lodge. Great rooms, beautiful pool, fantastic food, animals to view, afternoon wine tasting and kitchen tours, activities in the lobby, largest collection of African Art outside of Africa, Hidden Mickey hunting, 4 Restaurants (Jiko and Sanaa are award winning), 3 bars, nice gift shop, award winning massage center, not far from DTD.

And then there's this... you don't have to look at the parks that you're not going too! I would hate to be at one of the hotels connected to a park and lament the entire time that I didn't get to go.

Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246

These are great points. I think an argument could be made for Saratoga Springs or Port Orleans as well, especially PO. While they don't have a ton of eating options, you could always go to some of the other fantastic restaurants on property. But the theming is so immersive at PO that it really would just be a lovely place to stay. As for Saratoga Springs, it's beautiful, it has the new pool, and it's adjacent to Downtown Disney, so you could certainly spend time there, looking into the all the corners, eating snacks, and shopping til you drop.

__________________

Offline
Joined: 08/20/2011
Posts: 397

The cabins at fort wilderness campground. There is so much to do there! Hiking, biking, the pools, segway wilderness tour, hoop de doo revue, mickey's backyard bbq, boating, tennis, fishing, waterskiing, parasailing, chip and dale sing along marshmallow roast and movie, petting zoo, horseback riding, visiting the stables, wagon rides, carriage rides.

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9472

Kristen K. wrote:
I vote 100% for Animal Kingdom Lodge. Great rooms, beautiful pool, fantastic food, animals to view, afternoon wine tasting and kitchen tours, activities in the lobby, largest collection of African Art outside of Africa, Hidden Mickey hunting, 4 Restaurants (Jiko and Sanaa are award winning), 3 bars, nice gift shop, award winning massage center, not far from DTD.

And then there's this... you don't have to look at the parks that you're not going too! I would hate to be at one of the hotels connected to a park and lament the entire time that I didn't get to go.

Everything Kristen said!

Mase's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2011
Posts: 5438

Poppet wrote:
Love the new pug pic! It rocks!

lol

Thank ya... but actually changed it to my actual pug this time... lol

__________________

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9472

Nice! awesome

Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246

nikamel wrote:
The cabins at fort wilderness campground. There is so much to do there! Hiking, biking, the pools, segway wilderness tour, hoop de doo revue, mickey's backyard bbq, boating, tennis, fishing, waterskiing, parasailing, chip and dale sing along marshmallow roast and movie, petting zoo, horseback riding, visiting the stables, wagon rides, carriage rides.

WHAT a great idea!

__________________

Bella's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/11/2010
Posts: 3886

My first instinct would be to stay at a MK monorail resort--but that might depress me to SEE MK but not be able to go in.

I would have to agree with AKL. It's my favorite resort with lots to do and if I was giving up the parks I'd better be somewhere awesome & within walking distance to Zebra Domes.

__________________

mickey Bella


Offline
Joined: 09/12/2010
Posts: 4703

Before I read what Mase & Kristen said I was going to say Beach Club. Storm Along Bay pool, Beaches & Cream, Cape May Cafe, Yachtsman, the Boardwalk and all the great restaurants, surrey rentals, easy walk to Mini-golf, movies on the beach. But EPCOT is soooo cloooooooseee! And so is HS!!! Temptation!!!!

I think AKL might win me over now!

Mase's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2011
Posts: 5438

JeffC wrote:
Before I read what Mase & Kristen said I was going to say Beach Club. Storm Along Bay pool, Beaches & Cream, Cape May Cafe, Yachtsman, the Boardwalk and all the great restaurants, surrey rentals, easy walk to Mini-golf, movies on the beach. But EPCOT is soooo cloooooooseee! And so is HS!!! Temptation!!!!

I think AKL might win me over now!

Idk man... you made some very strong points there.... awesome

__________________

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

katrina1122's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/08/2010
Posts: 427

AKL of course, but WL would be fun too. Lodge tour, hidden mickey tour, flag raising ceremony. Great pool, rent water sprites right there. Bike over to the fort.

__________________

Wishin' I was at WDW!

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23463

I can totally see Wilderness Lodge, especially if you add in Fort Wilderness food & activities. You get the Electric water parade there too, or can take a boat over to watch the fireworks.

Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 1902

Well you all know I just have to mention the Poly here. The grounds are so beautiful you will not miss the park. Then add to that, you would have the monorail so now you have tons of places to eat and shop. You still could watch both the Electric Water Parade and the fireworks from the beach. They also have the movies each night on the beach. You can rent both boats and bikes. Oh yes, I could be happy there even without the parks.