Harry Potter Expansion Coming 2014/2015

Login to post comments
31 posts / 0 new
Kristen K.'s picture
Harry Potter Expansion Coming 2014/2015

Did you know that Universal is Expanding the Wizarding World of Harry Potter? Apparently it will be a London/Diagon Alley expansion with a possible Gringotts Bank ride and a real Hogwarts Express.

Diagon Alley is expected to open in 2014 or 2015. Universal has only confirmed that an expansion is in the works, but they have not detailed any plans.

I know a lot of people who took vacations to Florida just so they could see the first phase of the Wizarding World, I'm sure that it will once again drive tourism and bring them back.

What do you think about this? Will it make a trip to Universal even more attractive?

JoAnn C's picture

I would like to visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter some day. I loved the books.

Kris1971's picture

I'm a huge fan of the books and movies, and I did make a pilgrimage to check out the park. I thought it was great, well worth the vist, and I would love to see them expand, but its still not Disney!

Kris1971 wrote:
I'm a huge fan of the books and movies, and I did make a pilgrimage to check out the park. I thought it was great, well worth the vist, and I would love to see them expand, but its still not Disney!

Exactly. That was the only part of Universal that we wanted to see, and it was great, but the whole experience just wasn't Disney. We had planned a day there, but after seeing and doing everything in Potterland, we left and headed back to DTD for lunch, and then on to Epcot for grey goose slushies, Stoopid shoes, and fireworks.

I'll go see the expansion, but Kris is right.

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
J. R. R. Tolkien

Eeyore's picture

I really liked HP World! It was great. I would go back to see the expansion, but it's not something I would spend more than a day at...like everyone else said, it's not Disney and will never be!

Mase's picture

Kris1971 wrote:

I would love to go to... but as packed as that place has been and the price to get in... I just cant see venturing over there.

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

Nancy D's picture

We made the pilgrimage as part of a longer (alas, Disney-less) trip to Florida last Spring, stayed on property, and loved it. Well, loved the HP part of it! My husband and I commented how we would love to see it as an ENTIRE park....that would definitely be a sight to behold, because they did a FANTASTIC job thematically with the tiny little part of Universal that is HP. Once you head to the other lands, you're like (insert Debbie Downer voice here.) They do a great job of getting you into the "you're really in Hogwarts" frame of mind in that land, and from our experience, did a great job recruiting whatever-cast-members-at-Universal-are-called to foot the bill and make it enjoyable.

So, yeah, I'd totally make a day of it once the entire expansion has been completed. But, until then....New Fantasyland, here I COME!! Smile

DisneyDee27's picture

Still a one day trip for me.

Member of the 6 castle club and working to pay for my next Disney vacations: 1/5-10/18, September 2018 for my 50th and 2018 the year of Disney cruising.

Allie's picture

Dangit! Now I'm going to have to go back to Universal! I'm also interested to see how they do the Diagon Alley expansion since several of the shops they have right now in Hogsmeade are actually Diagon Alley shops (Ollivanders, etc.) Will they move them over to Diagon Alley and add new shops to Hogsmeade to replace them or leave Hogsmeade as is?

robertcraig's picture

HARRY POTTER LAND as I call it is well worth a visit

robertcraig

Jess's picture

This is how i feel about that....lol

Kristen K.'s picture

rolling rolling rolling

robertcraig's picture

I AM A DISNEY FANATIC BUT THERE IS A LOT MORE TO FLORIDA

robertcraig

Love it Jess. I like Harry Potter - read all the books and saw all the movies but I have a hard time seeing how it could out Disney Disney.

Spook's picture

If only Disney made HP world instead of universal sad
I'm also a HUGE fan of the books and went to the park a couple of times. I liked it but see no reason to go back until they do expand it. It's too small and should have been it's own park. I do hope they move the shops from Hogsmade that are supposed to be in Diagon Alley to Diagon Alley when they build it. And I really hope they add Fred and George's shop. They were my favorite!

Allie's picture

Spook wrote:
If only Disney made HP world instead of universal sad
I'm also a HUGE fan of the books and went to the park a couple of times. I liked it but see no reason to go back until they do expand it. It's too small and should have been it's own park. I do hope they move the shops from Hogsmade that are supposed to be in Diagon Alley to Diagon Alley when they build it. And I really hope they add Fred and George's shop. They were my favorite!

awesome

Mase's picture

What Jess doesn't realize is that her husband wants to get to universal to watch some IMPACT Wrestling! Lol

- 2013 Trip Report!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

Vettelover's picture

Mase wrote:
What Jess doesn't realize is that her husband wants to get to universal to watch some IMPACT Wrestling! Lol

Mase I think you spelled that wrong, shouldn't it be Rasslin. laugh

Jess's picture

Mase wrote:

Jess realizes that and I said it could be done since we only have to go to City walk to do that...not actually have to pay anything

Mase's picture

Vettelover wrote:
Mase wrote:

If I was livin a bit more south... probably... heh

Jess wrote:
Mase wrote:

Jess realizes that and I said it could be done since we only have to go to City walk to do that...not actually have to pay anything

Yeah.... but you get in with park admission. Might as well do Transformers when were there now! LOL

- 2013 Trip Report!

Jess's picture

Mase wrote:
Vettelover wrote:
Mase wrote:

If I was livin a bit more south... probably... heh

Jess wrote:
Mase wrote:

Yeah.... but you get in with park admission. Might as well do Transformers when were there now! LOL

I only agreed to going to wrestling when i thought it was free...don't think i'm willing to pay for it

andreas's picture

We LOVED Wizarding World! We only went to Universal to go to HP World! We got wands, rode the rides, ate at the Three Broomsticks, and got Butterbeer! Yum!

andreas wrote:
We LOVED Wizarding World! We only went to Universal to go to HP World! We got wands, rode the rides, ate at the Three Broomsticks, and got Butterbeer! Yum!

We went there the day after Christmas 2011 and there was a 45 minute wait for Butterbeer!!! We loved it though and will definitely go back when the expansion is complete.

andreas's picture

Yeah, Butterbeer is definitely worth it! Wink We hope to go back one day too!

JoAnn C's picture

According to this, the expansion (although not confirmed at this time) is opening July 2014.

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201303/3420/

Kris1971's picture

Looks like I may need to make plans for another 1/2 day to explore the expansion. Sounds cool!

JoAnn C's picture

My friend and I were talking the other day about making a trip to Universal in November. I suggested we wait until next year after the expansion.

salejune's picture

We went to Universal last year to see the Harry Porter area.. it was fun, however it is not Disney! My daughter loves the HP books and that is why we went. After seeing all the movies, I would probably venture back over there to see the expansion. But it's not Disney!

Allie's picture

Sounds great! It may be worth a trip back to Universal once it opens. I like that they're moving Ollivanders and expanding it....the wait time for that was ridiculous!

beckyboo013's picture

I'm very excited about the expansion! My mom and I are big fans of the HP book and movie series and in November 2011 we went to the big HP convention there- celebrating the movies. We got a package that included q&a sessions with cast members, directors, etc., a dvd/blue-ray pack of all of the films, a few other goodies, a 4 night stay on the property and early access each morning to the HP area before the park opened. It was amazing and we had such a great time. It was really cool to see some of the cast in person.. Rupert Grint smiled at me and told me hi muchlove I died, to say the least! Haha! I can promise you that my mom and I will be back after the expansion. laugh Only thing we regretted on that trip was not having any time to stop in Disney! No offense to Universal fans, but HP is really the only part of the park that I truly enjoy. I kind of wish it was in Disney instead. Shy

robertcraig's picture

GOING TO UNIVERSAL THIS YEAR INTERESTING

robertcraig