How many of you have bought a balloon?

Login to post comments
26 posts / 0 new
admin's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/14/2010
Posts: 2733
How many of you have bought a balloon?

I can't remember if I've asked this on here before, but I have to know -- how many of you are, like me, tempted by those beautiful shiny balloons all over MK and DHS (oddly, not in Epcot...)? And, if you are tempted, do you actually buy them? What do you do with them?

Pegosaurus's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/12/2010
Posts: 467

I have never bought one because I don't feel as though I can justify buying myself one, but perhaps when I go with my boyfriend this time if I stand near them looking pityful enough then maybe he will buy one for me. Who would deny their poor, sad, balloonless girlfriend a helium-filled eeyore?

In fact, if he doesn't buy me a balloon then he's definitely dumped. I'd say that's fair.

__________________

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

Offline
Joined: 09/12/2010
Posts: 4703

Pegosaurus wrote:
I have never bought one because I don't feel as though I can justify buying myself one, but perhaps when I go with my boyfriend this time if I stand near them looking pityful enough then maybe he will buy one for me. Who would deny their poor, sad, balloonless girlfriend a helium-filled eeyore?

In fact, if he doesn't buy me a balloon then he's definitely dumped. I'd say that's fair.

OOoo, I can't wait to hear how this goes!! I know if I were there and saw you, Pego, looking like that I would most certainly buy you one! silly

I've never bought one, but came real close this past trip - having our own car and driving we would not have to worry about getting it on a plane! But in the end, I decided not to. But next time!!

Annie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 1610

I love the balloons and have bought one or two in the past. The worst part is choosing! First you have to decide between the silvery ones and the brightly colored Mickey heads; then you have to decide on color or character. It's very hard. They all look so pretty together, but you can't buy them all (at $10 a pop!).

PS: You can only buy with cash, so be sure to have your boyfriend bring some greenbacks, Pego!

Bella's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/11/2010
Posts: 3886

I love the balloons when the balloon sellers are walking up & down Main Street selling them..but then just one balloon looks sad.

But we've never gotten one..but the boy loves balloons so we'll probably get one for him.

__________________

mickey Bella


SpaceAce's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2008
Posts: 2532

Bella wrote:
I love the balloons when the balloon sellers are walking up & down Main Street selling them..but then just one balloon looks sad.

But we've never gotten one..but the boy loves balloons so we'll probably get one for him.

I agree that just one balloon looks sad. That's how the getcha -- toting around all those happy balloons until you buy one.

__________________

[url=http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/'http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

2010 Beach Club Resort
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2009 CBR/Polynesian

dsoup's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/11/2008
Posts: 2884

We always plan to get a balloon early in the trip, but then forget until near the end at which point it seems like a waste of money.

Offline
Joined: 03/07/2011
Posts: 7

I keep looking at the Mickey - shaped balloons. Now they come in a protective outer-shell, which I don't think they had when I was little. I don't think my parents bought me one when I was a child, and I secretly wanted one, and still do. I've not gotten one yet, but when I take my niece in November, I think I'll have to get both of us one. (yay to the niece for giving me an excuse!)

Jess's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/04/2011
Posts: 3280

We've always wanted to get one especially last trip since my daughter loves balloons and i'm sure it will be even harder this trip to tell her no but we can't get them because we're not allowed to take them back to Animal Kingdom Lodge because of the animals

__________________

Brad's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/05/2008
Posts: 4357

Given how much balloons cost that a serious savings you can attribute to the AKL.

Mase's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2011
Posts: 5438

Brad wrote:
Given how much balloons cost that a serious savings you can attribute to the AKL.

Yeah.... but I want one to yay

__________________

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246

We've never bought one, but one time, a lady gave DD one! It was awesome - I couldn't believe it. It was a mylar one, if I remember correctly.

__________________

lizzi6692's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/04/2011
Posts: 24

Daniel bought me one on our first trip to Disney. It was right after we got stuck in the parade and I had a panic attack so he was trying to cheer me up. I had to let the air out the next day though, because we couldn't take it on the plane. And we were on the first flight out of MCO to Indianapolis, so I couldn't find any random kid that was just arriving to Orlando to give it to. I brought the deflated balloon home with me.

__________________

Bella's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/11/2010
Posts: 3886

I know I answered this thread before..and I haven't been to WDW since this thread was started or anything but I have to re-iterate what I said last time. My kid loves balloons so I am really looking forward to buying him one. He thinks they are gifts from Jesus or something..he has even been know to steal other children's at the Chick-Fil-A

__________________

mickey Bella


JustCar's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/24/2010
Posts: 1042

What do you do with them on rides?

__________________

Oct 2009 POP
Sept 2011 POP
Oct 2013 Coronado
May 2014 AKL , Magic, AoA Girlie Trip
Oct 2014 CBR Pirate Room Girlie Trip
Nov 2014 DCL Fantasy 7 Night Eastern Caribbean, Girlie Trip, POR Royal Guest Suite, GF Concierge
August 2015 DCL Magic 7 Night Mediterranean
October 2015 DL Grand Californian, DCL Wonder Panama Canal

https://www.facebook.com/MsBubbles
https://www.facebook.com/MVTRavel

Mase's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2011
Posts: 5438

Let a Cast Member hold it

__________________

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

Bella's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/11/2010
Posts: 3886

JustCar wrote:
What do you do with them on rides?

I have seen them tied to strollers before..but I would think buying them on the way out would be the best idea.

__________________

mickey Bella


JustCar's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/24/2010
Posts: 1042

I would be stroller-less unless Carjust gets tired, and I can just see me bashing someone in the face with it by mistake.

__________________

Oct 2009 POP
Sept 2011 POP
Oct 2013 Coronado
May 2014 AKL , Magic, AoA Girlie Trip
Oct 2014 CBR Pirate Room Girlie Trip
Nov 2014 DCL Fantasy 7 Night Eastern Caribbean, Girlie Trip, POR Royal Guest Suite, GF Concierge
August 2015 DCL Magic 7 Night Mediterranean
October 2015 DL Grand Californian, DCL Wonder Panama Canal

https://www.facebook.com/MsBubbles
https://www.facebook.com/MVTRavel

loril13's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/22/2011
Posts: 7

When we went to VMMCP last year, as soon as we got through the gates my Mom saw the baloon seller with a light up Mickey inside a clear balloon. Her bottom lip started quivering and she pouted "I want a baaaaaloooon!" How do you say no to that? She carried it around all night with a giant smile. The thing stayed lit for the entire trip. We let the air out of it when it was time to go home. She kept the two pieces for her scapbook of the trip.
It was ridiculously expensive, but in this case, it was totally worth it to me.

__________________

MK Oct 1985, WDW July 1994, DLC Oct 1994, WDW Oct 1997, May 1999, 2000, 2001; WDW Nov 2001; WDW May 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, WDW Dec 2010, WDW Feb 2011
~First WDW trip as DVC members Oct 2011~
WDW Mar 2012, Nov 2012, Feb 2013, Oct 2013, Feb 2014, DLC Nov 2014, WDW May 2015, Oct 2015, Feb 2016
Upcoming WDW Oct 2016

Catherine's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/25/2011
Posts: 426

Before we had kids, my husband bought me a Mickey balloon. It was just so pretty. It lasts forever too. We ended up bringing it home with us in the car! Now, we always buy my son one also!

Kristen K.'s picture
Online
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23422

I used to ALWAYS get these as a child, however since our DVC is at Animal Kingdom Lodge my kids don't usually get them. They're not allowed into that resort. My daughter Katie always asks and I hate having to say no.

In June we'll be at Bay Lake Tower, so I'll be able to buy all the balloons I want!

Jess's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/04/2011
Posts: 3280

Kristen K. wrote:
I used to ALWAYS get these as a child, however since our DVC is at Animal Kingdom Lodge my kids don't usually get them. They're not allowed into that resort. My daughter Katie always asks and I hate having to say no.

In June we'll be at Bay Lake Tower, so I'll be able to buy all the balloons I want!

we always thought that to about the no balloon policy at AKL... But when we were just there in November we saw tons of people with balloons getting off the buses. We asked about it and I guess you can get balloons you just have to check them in and keep them with the bell hop. Although if I'm paying that much money for a balloon I don't want it put up all week where it can't be seen

__________________

Offline
Joined: 07/02/2011
Posts: 988

When I was a child, we would always get a balloon and big lollypop on the last day at MK, as we were leaving the park for home.

Kristen K.'s picture
Online
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23422

Jess wrote:
We asked about it and I guess you can get balloons you just have to check them in and keep them with the bell hop. Although if I'm paying that much money for a balloon I don't want it put up all week where it can't be seen

Oh my gosh I can't imagine paying Disney prices for a balloon just to keep it at the bell station all vacation long!

Offline
Joined: 08/20/2011
Posts: 397

I love the balloons but have never bought one. I think they are so cool!! I guess I will have to wait for grandchildren and then buy all the balloons they want.

Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246

Poppet wrote:
When I was a child, we would always get a balloon and big lollypop on the last day at MK, as we were leaving the park for home.

What a great memory! I love these kinds of traditions. And they're so fun to pass on to our kiddoes. That would make for neat pictures, actually. Snap a pic every year.

__________________