JanJ and KenJ's September 2015 Trip Report

Login to post comments
76 posts / 0 new
Belinda's picture

Love being able to follow along on your trip. Thanks for sharing your pics!

** BeLiNdA **

Allie's picture

Aw two adorable couples! Great pics as per usual. Loving following along with you all! clapping

JanJ's picture

Thanks Allie!

We are back to reality today (our flight leaves early afternoon). sad

I'll post the rest of our TR and pictures once we get home. I will say that we had a blast hanging with MrHub and scrappy all week. Can't wait to do it again. Also loved meeting up with JMed and her hubby and Spook and her hubby.

JMed's picture

It was wonderful meeting the 2 of you also! Safe journeys.

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

lolastardust's picture

Loving the World Showcase photos! Looks like an amazing trip!

KrystalT's picture

Ken's pics are great, reading your tr is making me so excited for our trip we'll be there on Sunday!

Coronado Springs 2000
Art of Animation-Cars 2013
PORS AND POFQ 2014
PORS 2015

JanJ's picture

Ok, now back to the TR.

Thursday was another Epcot day with Tokyo Dining for a late lunch. We went on Ellen's Energy Adventure as we had some time before our Soarin' FP. Ken had never been on this, so it was a first for him - he enjoyed the dinosaurs.

Lunch was delicious as usual - Ken and MrHub went for sushi, while scrappy and I went with tempura. I see Ken already posted these 2 pictures, but I'll leave them in anyway! wink

JanJ's picture

Tonight was our WDWFGU meet-up. MrHub had booked a Wishes cruise and JMed and her hubby Joe, as well as Spook and her husband Erik were meeting us. There was also another couple - Brian and Susan from the Eyes on Ears website. We all expected a pontoon boat to show up, but it turns out MrHub surprised us with a cruise on the Grand 1! What a great night!! awesome

Here are a few pics of the yacht:

2nd bedroom

Master bedroom

the bridge

Looking down the stairs

the kitchen area

Looking out towards the bow

JanJ's picture

Here are a few more pics from the evening, including some of the resorts all lit up.

A group shot, minus Ken, the photographer, of course, although you can see his shadow!

We also were able to watch the Electrical Water Pageant.

Here is a shot of all of us.

JanJ's picture

Friday was a beautiful sunny day and we were back at MK for the morning. We finally made it into the HM store and bought a few items - a keychain for me and the "3 Hitchhiking Ghosts" ceramic, glow in the dark, figurine for Ken.

Dinner tonight was at The Boathouse in Disney Springs. It was a very good meal and a beautiful night.

These are the new turrets around the caste.

The drink that scrappy has is Blueberry Lemonade from the Boathouse - it was absolutely amazing and was made with fresh blueberries. I could go for one right now.

Sorry we don't have any food pictures for this trip - we were too busy eating! silly

More pics from Disney Springs at night:

Mandy's picture

Jan I was at the same party as you guys! I can't believe I didn't see you guys!

JanJ's picture

Saturday was our last full day sad and the weather was beautiful again. We were back at MK for a few rides and then we headed over to Epcot for another pizza dinner at Via Napoli.

don't worry, we ate it all! biggrin

Back at The Poly.

Here is a pic of the 4 of us. We hung out with MrHub and scrappy all week and had the best time. Hope to do it again soon.

JanJ's picture

Mandy wrote:
Jan I was at the same party as you guys! I can't believe I didn't see you guys!

Too bad we didn't meet up. There was a lot of people at that party, definitely more than last year when we went.

Mandy's picture

There was a lot. It looks like we were only a few feet from each other while we watched the fireworks. Maybe next time you guys come, we meet up and not while I am at work.

Rant on...

One thing that drives me absolutely nuts and that we noticed on several occasions this trip was the entitlement and boldness that some people have.

Several times, we noticed people blatantly bypassing queues and boldly helping themselves to things that anyone with manners, decency or even common sense would never do.

Some examples:

1. We were in the fast-pass queue at HM and had just tapped our bands at the second FP station (right near the double doors). We saw a guy and his kid go over the chain from the standby line and simply walk right past the FP scanner without the CM noticing. His wife and other kid joined them the same way a minute later as she saw the husband get away with it. Upset by this, I told the CM that was manning the FP scanner what had just happened and even pointed out the guy. The CM just shrugged her shoulders and that was it. Nothing was done. Unreal. This guy and family went into the stretching room and enjoyed the ride with no fastpass and no wait.

2. At the MNSSHP, we saw a woman walk up to a trick or treat candy station lean over a divider rope and just help herself to stuff. She reached right in and just grabbed candy. The CM that was manning the station started wheeling it further away out of her reach and the woman kept grabbing stuff until the last second. She wasn't even in line for this. Again, unreal.

3. Waiting for our ADR at Via Napoli, a group of younger people just walked right into the restaurant, bypassing the desk and helped themselves to a drink from the juice bar and then walk out.

4. On a couple of occasions, people boldly cut in front of others lined up at a cash register.

I know this is small stuff compared to the other problems in the world, but really, it's the type of thing that just gets under my skin. People just pushing their way to the front or helping themselves to whatever they please. And yes, each of these situations involved people that "didn't speak english". I'll just leave it at that. And I don't buy the "culture" thing for a minute. It's just outright rude to behave this way when it's very obvious that there are queues and lines and everyone else around you are following the rules. English not required to understand these basic things. The know damned well that they are doing something they shouldn't be yet feel entitled to do so for some reason.

Anyway, what can you do?

Rant off...

Here are the Wishes fireworks that that we enjoyed from the Grand 1 yacht:

AnnielovesDisney's picture

What a great trip! I would love to be able to do a WDW meet up someday. We are almost always limited to weekend only trips and we always seem to just miss people. My husband and I were in WDW just a few days before you got there.

Mandy's picture

The Haunted Mansion cm should of showed the one family back to the line where they belong but then again, some cms won't do anything unless see it with their own eyes.

The Colonel's picture

Hey Mr. Hub, you can surprise me with a night on the Grand One anytime...just sayin. crossfingers

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

JMed's picture

I saw a few things my self that were rant worthy.... but I kept it low key on my TR. It's amazing what some people will do.. Like you said, what are ya gonna do??

So glad we finally got to meet you. The Grand 1 was quite the grand treat!

Great pictures too, can I steal the group pic to share on my FB?

JMed, feel free to download the photo. Just click on it to link to my photo site and then you should see a download icon at the bottom right corner.

Yeah, some of the stupid stuff I see at WDW just gets to me at certain times. Oh well.

Spook's picture

KenJ wrote:
Rant on...

One thing that drives me absolutely nuts and that we noticed on several occasions this trip was the entitlement and boldness that some people have.

Several times, we noticed people blatantly bypassing queues and boldly helping themselves to things that anyone with manners, decency or even common sense would never do.

Some examples:

1. We were in the fast-pass queue at HM and had just tapped our bands at the second FP station (right near the double doors). We saw a guy and his kid go over the chain from the standby line and simply walk right past the FP scanner without the CM noticing. His wife and other kid joined them the same way a minute later as she saw the husband get away with it. Upset by this, I told the CM that was manning the FP scanner what had just happened and even pointed out the guy. The CM just shrugged her shoulders and that was it. Nothing was done. Unreal. This guy and family went into the stretching room and enjoyed the ride with no fastpass and no wait.

2. At the MNSSHP, we saw a woman walk up to a trick or treat candy station lean over a divider rope and just help herself to stuff. She reached right in and just grabbed candy. The CM that was manning the station started wheeling it further away out of her reach and the woman kept grabbing stuff until the last second. She wasn't even in line for this. Again, unreal.

3. Waiting for our ADR at Via Napoli, a group of younger people just walked right into the restaurant, bypassing the desk and helped themselves to a drink from the juice bar and then walk out.

4. On a couple of occasions, people boldly cut in front of others lined up at a cash register.

I know this is small stuff compared to the other problems in the world, but really, it's the type of thing that just gets under my skin. People just pushing their way to the front or helping themselves to whatever they please. And yes, each of these situations involved people that "didn't speak english". I'll just leave it at that. And I don't buy the "culture" thing for a minute. It's just outright rude to behave this way when it's very obvious that there are queues and lines and everyone else around you are following the rules. English not required to understand these basic things. The know damned well that they are doing something they shouldn't be yet feel entitled to do so for some reason.

Anyway, what can you do?

Rant off...

That behavior drives me nuts too! I'm annoyed just reading about it Stare

JMed's picture

KenJ wrote:
JMed, feel free to download the photo. Just click on it to link to my photo site and then you should see a download icon at the bottom right corner.

Yeah, some of the stupid stuff I see at WDW just gets to me at certain times. Oh well.

Thanks so much!

KenJ wrote:
Rant on...

Some examples:

Anyway, what can you do?

Rant off...

I have had this same problem and yes with foreign people. Apparently in some places manners is not a thing. It wasn't so bad last time we went but in 2011 when we went in September it was bad. We were waiting in line for Mission Space and it was a pretty long line, at one point it wrapped around and went in front of the building again. Well the people in front of us apparently had more in their group and decided to let them hop into the line with them. So it was another four plus people added to the line! After we had already waited at this point for at least 15 minutes. When we finally got to a CM we told them what happened and they said there wasn't anything they could do about it. But there is because right there on a sign it says skipping lines is not tolerated and you will be removed from the park!

Later we were waiting in line for Spaceship Earth and a couple of girls said "excuse me" they were younger so I thought they might have gotten separated in the line from their parents. Well NOPE! they just acted like that to get on the ride faster and go right past everyone!!!! How RUDE!!!!

Same trip different day we were in line for the Rockin Roller Coaster, and a little girl goes up past us. Next thing you see is her parents coming up the line saying, "Me daughter, Me Daughter," in broken English and at this point my mom had had enough!!! So she put out her arm and wouldn't let them past. She said they should have been watching her and the CM's would stop her at the line and she will have to wait for them to come up and to go back in the line where they came from. So they turned and went back to the line. There was an Aussie standing next to us and he said, "Way to go! This has been happening to us the whole trip!!!" and we said it had been to us too and we were sick of it!

Hopefully this doesn't offend anyone. I am just saying that I have had similar experiences.

Allie's picture

To slightly play devil's advocate, I've seen plenty of rudeness/entitlement from Americans in the park too. Unfortunately stupid isn't contained to any one country wink

The Colonel's picture

They do it because they know they can get away with it. The people who accept it are partly to blame. But who wants to bother playing policeman on vacation.

I saw nothing like that in four days in DL. I can't recall one instance of rudeness or one bratty kid. I saw a large number of Asians (Japanese?) and it may not be PC to say, but those people are a pleasure. Maybe I was just walking around in a fog, or maybe I got lucky, but I didn't see any unpleasantness...and it was crowded. But I noted the same thing on my trip last year; much nicer guests in DL. And DL is not as good at crowd control as WDW, so you would think there would be more tempers flaring, but no.

Although I did see one Captain Hook with a bad case of flatulence. Very Rude.

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

The Colonel wrote:
They do it because they know they can get away with it. The people who accept it are partly to blame. But who wants to bother playing policeman on vacation.

I saw nothing like that in four days in DL. I can't recall one instance of rudeness or one bratty kid. I saw a large number of Asians (Japanese?) and it may not be PC to say, but those people are a pleasure. Maybe I was just walking around in a fog, or maybe I got lucky, but I didn't see any unpleasantness...and it was crowded. But I noted the same thing on my trip last year; much nicer guests in DL. And DL is not as good at crowd control as WDW, so you would think there would be more tempers flaring, but no.

Although I did see one Captain Hook with a bad case of flatulence. Very Rude.

Agreed! Who wants to deal with that on their magical vacation! I usually just ignore it! I am there to have fun and I am in to hurry for anything. It is rude but that is pretty much all I can do about it. Though it does say in many places that line skipping is not tolerated. And I do believe that if you tell a CM about it they should be able to do something at least.

alicemouse's picture

The Colonel wrote:
I saw nothing like that in four days in DL.

I think that this had a lot to do with my overall opinion that all else being equal, I would choose DL over WDW for at least half of our future trips. Unfortunately with only one DVC resort, and much longer and more costly flight, WDW will still be our go-to for the time being.

I agree that I've seen PLENTY of theme park guest faux pas from the English-speaking community as well. The using your children to guilt people into giving up parade spots is a particular pet peeve of mine. Using strollers as battering rams another one.

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

MrHub's picture

And since you never got to record this........ Here is a solo just for you.

And just so everyone knows the story behind this, I never picked up an instrument before in my life. I wanted to do something special for Jan & Ken to start our trip, so I decided to buy a Ukulele 8 weeks before the trip and I learned how to play this one song so I could serenade they when they got off the Magical Express at the Polynesian Village Resort. Well their flight getting bumped and delayed messe that up, but I did play for them one night finally when we were going out to dinner. Not as great as I would have wanted it to be, but I think they liked it.

Ah! That was one of the best parts of our trip! What a surprise this was. You sounded great! mickey awesome