Miss Mikki - November 2013 - Pre-trip report - We are in the world!

Login to post comments
48 posts / 0 new
Miss Mikki's picture
Miss Mikki - November 2013 - Pre-trip report - We are in the world!

Hi everyone! We have passed the 180 day mark and I am getting super excited about our trip yay

On our many previous trips, we have not made any dining reservations, as we like to choose what we do depending on how we feel. We have always been successful getting walk-ins. I think this is for three reasons:
1. There are only two of us.
2. We don't mind waiting for a table and having a pre-dinner drink at the bar first after we have checked in at the seating podium.
3. We normally eat dinner around 8pm or later.

Our November trip is 15 nights clapping so we thought we would make a few ADRs and then be spontaneous for the rest of the time.

We have chosen and booked:

Il Mulino - dinner
Yak & Yeti - late lunch
Sanaa - dinner
Cape May Cafe - early dinner

We are also doing Mickey's Jingle Jungle 5k and Epcot food and wine festival. Other than that our plans are flexible and will be created as we go.

We have free quick service dining, so we will only have to pay for table service meals. Our snacks and counter service are included! There was no point paying for the upgrade as neither of us like desserts and we will be eating out of Disney sometimes.

I may make one more ADR, so let me know your suggestions. (Some tips - We are going to do lunch at Be Our Guest. I don't think we will do table service at Epcot as we would rather snack round the world at F&W. Although we are trying the clam bake at Cape May we are generally not fans of buffet or family style dining. No characters! - that would be one step too far for DH but I am working on him laugh

no ticker Sad

Spook's picture

Sounds like a great trip! The 5K is alot of fun mickey

Woo! 15 days is awesome!!

We're also doing Yak and Yeti (my favorite!!) and Cape May Buffet for dinner. Fr something new we booked The Wave. I'm intrigued by their local/sustainable slant, and have said I've wanted to try it the past 3 trips and have changed my mind each time.

Have you thought about Liberty Tree Tavern at MK? I had their pot roast for lunch and it was amazingly good.

For a fun atmosphere and great food, maybe think about Kona Cafe at the Poly. I think lots of folks here would recommend it.

We're going to give Mama Melrose (HS) another chance this time as well. It's been spotty for us, but with free dining I'm willing to give it another chance and see if it can rekindle the memories we have of it as an awesome place from our first visit. Keep hope alive, I say!

TroyW's picture

JeffC wrote:

Have you thought about Liberty Tree Tavern at MK? I had their pot roast for lunch and it was amazingly good.

What Jeff said.

Wishing we could do a 15day trip..slightly jealous

Allie's picture

I'm a little jealous that you get a whole 15 days in the world, but it sounds like it'll be a great trip for you! Can't wait for the full trip report!

JoAnn C's picture

I agree with Jeff's suggestion for Liberty Tree Tavern. It's one of my favorites. For your additional ADR, do you prefer something in one of the parks or resorts? Another park suggestion would be 50's Prime Time Diner. How about the Kona Cafe at the Poly? I've only had breakfast there. Dinner comes highly recommend here.

Miss Mikki's picture

Thank you for your dining recommendations awesome

JeffC - "The Wave" is also on our short list. If you like Italian food, I recommend Il Mulino at the Swan. It has been our favourite restaurant on our last two trips.

JeffC/JoAnnC - I love the Kona Cafe for breakfast. I adore the Poly and we always visit the Tambu lounge. A few years ago we had a very poor dinner experience at Kona (bad service and terrible food, that we had to send back twice). As a lot of people on this forum love it, maybe we were unlucky and it is time to give it another try. I don't like to criticise anything Disney, but I think a lot of us know that (particularly in the past) the dining can be inconsistent, so always best to try things more than once.

JeffC/TroyW/JoAnnC - I normally like to have a glass of wine with a table service dinner, so I had not thought of Liberty Tree Tavern. I will have another look. Maybe lunch, because I wouldn't miss the wine at lunch time!!!

JoAnnC - The Prime Time is lots of fun. If we don't get to eat there, we will definately go to the Tune-in lounge for drinks. I don't mind parks or resorts for dining. After reading your Pre-Trip report. I may see if the California Grill opens up any dates earlier in November and hold out for making an ADR there!

no ticker Sad

Miss Mikki's picture

Yay! I am another one who hit double digits today. My heart literally jumped when I saw the 99 days on the ticker. yay

no ticker Sad

JoAnn C's picture

yay clapping mickey clapping yay

My wife and I have found that ADR is not needed if its just 2 people and you're eating at off times (either early or late). Most restaurants allow for a certain amount of walk in traffic. We sometimes will make an ADR while onsite for places like California Grill though.

I find ADRs are too restricting because it forces you to be somewhere at a certain time. We like to just wing it and find it so much fun! But that's just us. It gives you the freedom to just say "tonight we feel like sushi" and just head to Japan etc.

disneydoc's picture

KenJ wrote:
My wife and I have found that ADR is not needed if its just 2 people and you're eating at off times (either early or late). Most restaurants allow for a certain amount of walk in traffic. We sometimes will make an ADR while onsite for places like California Grill though.

I find ADRs are too restricting because it forces you to be somewhere at a certain time. We like to just wing it and find it so much fun! But that's just us. It gives you the freedom to just say "tonight we feel like sushi" and just head to Japan etc.

I kind of agree with you Ken. I still do make a few ADRs, even being just one person, for a few faves, but have also been known to cancel them if I am not feeling it. I just have to be careful to watch the cancellation rules for places that require a credit card to reserve, as they will charge you if not within their window.

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker DIStickers.com Ticker

Miss Mikki's picture

KenJ and Disneydoc, I agree about ADR's. we have only made 4 reservations for a 15 day trip and will just be spontaneous for the rest of the time awesome

no ticker Sad

taratru's picture

Oh, man! I can't wait for double digits!

taratru wrote:
Oh, man! I can't wait for double digits!

You're almost there!!!!! mickey mickey biggrin

Kris1971's picture

banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana

DOUBLE DIGITS!!!!

Eeyore's picture

How exciting!

We ate at Sanaa two years ago and it was AMAZING! Smile You will like it. I am not a huge curry fan, but it is out of this world. Just FYI there, bread is NOT included with the meal. They ask you when you first sit and we were like SURE because we are used to bread being part of the meal, but it wasn't. It was like $7 extra. Not a huge deal, but I try to tell people so they know. Smile

MrHub's picture

Woo Hoo for double digits!! banana banana stars stars

Well ADR's also have depend a lot on when you visit the World. We make a lot of ADR's usually because we have see a number of people get turned away and have been turned away ourselves from restaurants even when trying to get in right when they open. I January we walked up to Sci-Fi right when the doors opened. Were the first people in the door, they checked the computer and said they were booked for the day. They turned away several more people right behind us, even a single person. You can't always be guaranteed to get in just because you are only two people.

Miss Mikki's picture

Hello my lovely friends at WDWFGU. I had quite an emotional night with my DH tonight. We were both being grateful that I am still here after my serious health scare last year and I was explaining to him how important this forum and the motivation of getting back to the World has been for me. Thank you all so much for getting me through the tough times with your fun and informative posts, as well as sharing more serious and personal issues. I think you are a wonderful group of people. Thank you x

no ticker Sad

I am so glad we are here to lift you up. I agree everyone on this forum is wonderful and I feel that we have been friends forever. muchlove

Miss Mikki's picture

Thank you PirateGirl. I hope our paths cross one day. I would love to meet up with you.

no ticker Sad

Magic Mirror's picture

Miss Mikki......we are all family here muchlove while our love of Disney may have brought us together....we stay together because the people on this board are just compassionate and caring right to their core! There's no blog like this one! awesome Thank you for letting us walk with you on your journey......hopefully soon you can return to MK and breath in some pixie dust! mickey

MrHub's picture

Ah Miss Mikki, we are all one in the same at heart. We all know each others passion for the "Magic" & "the Mouse". I'm always honored to call everyone here a friend. May you get back to the World soon and as a certain Mouse would say " Have all you dreams come true!" Best of health to you and everyone.

disneydoc's picture

Miss Mikki wrote:
Hello my lovely friends at WDWFGU. I had quite an emotional night with my DH tonight. We were both being grateful that I am still here after my serious health scare last year and I was explaining to him how important this forum and the motivation of getting back to the World has been for me. Thank you all so much for getting me through the tough times with your fun and informative posts, as well as sharing more serious and personal issues. I think you are a wonderful group of people. Thank you x

I am glad that you are with us too...those health scares are so tough. We are definitely right here, and I too hope to see you in person at the World very soon. muchlove

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker DIStickers.com Ticker

I would love to meet all of you. JoAnn C and I have had dinner twice - once in December and just this past Monday night when she came home to visit her parents. It's like we have known each other forever.

We would love to meet up this fall.

Julie

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust

muchlove I totally agree Miss Mikki, all you guys here get it. Although there are loads of forums out in the ether this one is special because of the fabulous people on it.

Miss Mikki's picture

I was just starting to wonder when our Mickey Mail would arrive (we are at 19 days) when clunk, it dropped through the letter box. Mickey Mail. clapping yay banana

Only thing is I have decided to wait until DH comes home from work to open it. (I wouldn't normally be this nice, but he rang me today from work to say he can't wait for our Disney Trip!)

But, we are on different shifts so I am just going to work now. Another 6 hours until we can open that envelope...

Oh, and I left a post-it note on it saying "Mickey Mail, do not open until I get home."

no ticker Sad

MrHub's picture

awesome sweet!

JoAnn C's picture

yay for Mickey Mail!!!!

yay clapping

Magic Mirror's picture

yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

M I C K E Y M A I L

I hope your 6hrs goes by fast and your husband doesn't peek!

Miss Mikki's picture

mickey Mickey Mail opened. I muchlove Mickey Mail mickey

It's time for a chorus of dancing bananas

banana banana banana banana banana

no ticker Sad