Most Broadly Appealing Disney World Attractions?

Login to post comments
24 posts / 0 new
Brad's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/05/2008
Posts: 4357
Most Broadly Appealing Disney World Attractions?

If you were going with a very mixed group, ranging from very young to seniors, what do you think are the attractions that would appeal that most to everyone in the group? Some attractions like Expedition Everest are great for some folks, but terrible for others. What are the most broadly appealing attractions?

Pegosaurus's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/12/2010
Posts: 467

A very good topic!

I know I'm biased because it's one of my favourite things ever, but I'd say I think the Philharmagic show would always be a winner in Magic Kingdom. For Animal Kingdom I'll go with an obvious one and say the safari. Epcot I think I'd go with Soarin. Um, HS I guess perhaps the Backlot Tour??? Yeah, Backlot Tour.

__________________

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

teacherdrama's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/11/2009
Posts: 698

Maybe Backlot Tour fifteen years ago -- it's on my list of worst attractions right now!

At DHS, I'd go with something like Indiana Jones or Great Movie Ride.

Any "dark ride" is generally pretty widely appealing (well, except Dinosaur - have I mentioned how much I hate that thing?)

__________________

Zipadeedoodah -- yeah, man

dsoup's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/11/2008
Posts: 2884

I like Philharmagic and the Safari as a suggestions. Would Backlot Tour hold the attention of youngsters?

I like Toy Story Mania as well but it might not work for people with mobility problems.

Vettelover's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2009
Posts: 4656

I tend to think that the backlot tour would hold the attention of youngsters much more than it would hold the attention of adults.

__________________

Offline
Joined: 09/12/2010
Posts: 4703

American Idol Experience might work for a broad range. Soarin should too. I think the Lion King might also be good for a mixed group.

Pegosaurus's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/12/2010
Posts: 467

Yeah I definitely agree with Lion King. I wasn't sure about Toy Story Mania because I thought maybe it wouldn't appeal to all older people? I've not been on it yet though, just going on what I know about it! Yeah, good suggestion about India Jones! I can imagine younger people who don't know the films might get bored in the Great Movie Ride? I'd just say Fantasmic for HS, but I feel like that one is too easy!

__________________

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246

Soarin' might be an issue for young (height requirements) and old (afraid of daring, heights, motion sickness.) I would pick Small World, Mexico River of Time, Spaceship Earth, Nemo (Epcot), Carousel, People Mover, and maybe Bug's Life and Philharmagic (depending on the age of the youngsters,) and the Land. This is the demographic I go to the parks with most of the time! And ease of loading for elderly guests can be a big issue, as can be height requirements and "scariness" for the little ones (I didn't realize that Haunted Mansion was "scary" in the least - until I took my four year old on it. She's not crazy about POTC or Maelstrom, either.)

Mostly, when I went with both my small daughter AND my grandmother, we ate funnelcakes. That was attraction enough for them Smile

I realize I have nothing from DHS or AK...I think most of the great rides in both would need to be skipped by guests on either end of the spectrum.

*Edit* - I was just reminded of the Beauty and the Beast show at DHS, which reminds ME of Nemo at AK. Both are terrific and would appeal to everyone, I think.

__________________

cdub's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3220

Bug's Life is a good one. Gotta do Muppets as well!

teacherdrama's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/11/2009
Posts: 698

Not a fan of Bug's Life. I don't like going on attractions and being made to feel uncomfortable -- the stupid crawling bugs, the mice under Honey I Shrunk the Audience, the belch in Stitch's Escape - I didn't go to the parks to be tortured.

And I don't need to mention the torture that is Dinosaur!

__________________

Zipadeedoodah -- yeah, man

Bella's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/11/2010
Posts: 3886

Any show would be great..lion king philharmagic etc. I also think MK is just great for this since moat of their rides are family friendly.

__________________

mickey Bella


Brad's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/05/2008
Posts: 4357

DHS probably has a lot of good options with all the shows. Do you think Haunted Mansion is out with youngsters? I went at DL when I was pretty young (like 5) and I thought it was a hoot, but I could see it scaring some kids.

dsoup's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/11/2008
Posts: 2884

I think HM is out for the youngsters. Although maybe I'm not the best judge.

Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246

Brad wrote:
DHS probably has a lot of good options with all the shows. Do you think Haunted Mansion is out with youngsters? I went at DL when I was pretty young (like 5) and I thought it was a hoot, but I could see it scaring some kids.

My 6 year old has been on it - didn't cry or freak out or anything, but roundly refuses to do it again. And she loves roller coasters and Scooby Doo, so I'm not sure what she doesn't like about it. The only thing I can figure out is that it's very real to her - she doesn't get that those aren't realy ghosts, and the ghoulish attendants aren't really serious. So it totally depends on the kid, but I'd say yes, don't plan on it for kids under 7. (You also aren't allowed to have a baby on your lap in that one. Found that out the hard way recently. They have to sit beside you.)

__________________

Bella's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/11/2010
Posts: 3886

Lizzy_B wrote:
Brad wrote:
DHS probably has a lot of good options with all the shows. Do you think Haunted Mansion is out with youngsters? I went at DL when I was pretty young (like 5) and I thought it was a hoot, but I could see it scaring some kids.

My 6 year old has been on it - didn't cry or freak out or anything, but roundly refuses to do it again. And she loves roller coasters and Scooby Doo, so I'm not sure what she doesn't like about it. The only thing I can figure out is that it's very real to her - she doesn't get that those aren't realy ghosts, and the ghoulish attendants aren't really serious. So it totally depends on the kid, but I'd say yes, don't plan on it for kids under 7. (You also aren't allowed to have a baby on your lap in that one. Found that out the hard way recently. They have to sit beside you.)

I was wondering about babies on that ride. I knew I had seen babies on the ride but wondered how they did. If Holden is in a good mood stuff like that doesn't bother him..but if he's a little cranky or tired he will scream...thus making the ride OH so enjoyable for those around him.

__________________

mickey Bella


teacherdrama's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/11/2009
Posts: 698

I was terrified of the Haunted Mansion when I was a kid. Now it's my favorite attraction. Just saying.

__________________

Zipadeedoodah -- yeah, man

admin's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/14/2010
Posts: 2733

teacherdrama wrote:
Not a fan of Bug's Life. I don't like going on attractions and being made to feel uncomfortable -- the stupid crawling bugs, the mice under Honey I Shrunk the Audience, the belch in Stitch's Escape - I didn't go to the parks to be tortured.

And I don't need to mention the torture that is Dinosaur!

Am I the only one who purposefully pulls their feet up onto the chair and pulls their back away from the backrest in Bug's Life? laugh I really dislike that attraction!

Also, something I struggled a lot with as a kid is the loud noises in so many of the attractions. Sometimes it's not just darkness or things that jump out at you that make rides scary. Even the fireworks at the end of Soarin' can be super loud for little ones.

Speaking of "attractions" and not just rides, I think Disney World does a good job with the rental boats and surrey bikes in terms of making attractions that the whole family can enjoy.

Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246

Bella wrote:
Lizzy_B wrote:
Brad wrote:
DHS probably has a lot of good options with all the shows. Do you think Haunted Mansion is out with youngsters? I went at DL when I was pretty young (like 5) and I thought it was a hoot, but I could see it scaring some kids.

My 6 year old has been on it - didn't cry or freak out or anything, but roundly refuses to do it again. And she loves roller coasters and Scooby Doo, so I'm not sure what she doesn't like about it. The only thing I can figure out is that it's very real to her - she doesn't get that those aren't realy ghosts, and the ghoulish attendants aren't really serious. So it totally depends on the kid, but I'd say yes, don't plan on it for kids under 7. (You also aren't allowed to have a baby on your lap in that one. Found that out the hard way recently. They have to sit beside you.)

I was wondering about babies on that ride. I knew I had seen babies on the ride but wondered how they did. If Holden is in a good mood stuff like that doesn't bother him..but if he's a little cranky or tired he will scream...thus making the ride OH so enjoyable for those around him.

Yeah...Jake was at that age that he was totally oblivious, so it didn't bother him. We got stuck on it, and he actually fell asleep. It was so dark I didn't even realize. It was pretty funny.

admin wrote:
teacherdrama wrote:
Not a fan of Bug's Life. I don't like going on attractions and being made to feel uncomfortable -- the stupid crawling bugs, the mice under Honey I Shrunk the Audience, the belch in Stitch's Escape - I didn't go to the parks to be tortured.

And I don't need to mention the torture that is Dinosaur!

Am I the only one who purposefully pulls their feet up onto the chair and pulls their back away from the backrest in Bug's Life? laugh I really dislike that attraction!

Also, something I struggled a lot with as a kid is the loud noises in so many of the attractions. Sometimes it's not just darkness or things that jump out at you that make rides scary. Even the fireworks at the end of Soarin' can be super loud for little ones.

Speaking of "attractions" and not just rides, I think Disney World does a good job with the rental boats and surrey bikes in terms of making attractions that the whole family can enjoy.

Nope, I don't like "A Bug's Life" either. But it could be because I DESPISE spiders. And I agree about the noises. DH still jumps if loud noises surprise him!

__________________

J.P.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 12/08/2010
Posts: 438

Lizzy_B wrote:
Soarin' might be an issue for young (height requirements) and old (afraid of daring, heights, motion sickness.) I would pick Small World, Mexico River of Time, Spaceship Earth, Nemo (Epcot), Carousel, People Mover, and maybe Bug's Life and Philharmagic (depending on the age of the youngsters,) and the Land. This is the demographic I go to the parks with most of the time! And ease of loading for elderly guests can be a big issue, as can be height requirements and "scariness" for the little ones (I didn't realize that Haunted Mansion was "scary" in the least - until I took my four year old on it. She's not crazy about POTC or Maelstrom, either.)

Mostly, when I went with both my small daughter AND my grandmother, we ate funnelcakes. That was attraction enough for them Smile

I realize I have nothing from DHS or AK...I think most of the great rides in both would need to be skipped by guests on either end of the spectrum.

*Edit* - I was just reminded of the Beauty and the Beast show at DHS, which reminds ME of Nemo at AK. Both are terrific and would appeal to everyone, I think.

Good call! Many of your choices are great for people with mobility issues (for rides, especially it's a small world & carousel of progress). I also found that Nemo in Epcot always has a mixed crowd from very young to very old.

And I definitely agree with food as an attraction! Just eating at Disney is a magical experience!

Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246

J.P. wrote:
Lizzy_B wrote:
Soarin' might be an issue for young (height requirements) and old (afraid of daring, heights, motion sickness.) I would pick Small World, Mexico River of Time, Spaceship Earth, Nemo (Epcot), Carousel, People Mover, and maybe Bug's Life and Philharmagic (depending on the age of the youngsters,) and the Land. This is the demographic I go to the parks with most of the time! And ease of loading for elderly guests can be a big issue, as can be height requirements and "scariness" for the little ones (I didn't realize that Haunted Mansion was "scary" in the least - until I took my four year old on it. She's not crazy about POTC or Maelstrom, either.)

Mostly, when I went with both my small daughter AND my grandmother, we ate funnelcakes. That was attraction enough for them Smile

I realize I have nothing from DHS or AK...I think most of the great rides in both would need to be skipped by guests on either end of the spectrum.

*Edit* - I was just reminded of the Beauty and the Beast show at DHS, which reminds ME of Nemo at AK. Both are terrific and would appeal to everyone, I think.

Good call! Many of your choices are great for people with mobility issues (for rides, especially it's a small world & carousel of progress). I also found that Nemo in Epcot always has a mixed crowd from very young to very old.

And I definitely agree with food as an attraction! Just eating at Disney is a magical experience!

Awh, thanks for that! Yes, I will never, ever forget trying to get my 84 year-old grandmother on Peter Pan, and they had to stop the ride because she couldn't get in the boat fast enough. She was mortified, and I felt so bad for having made her ride it. She just wasn't one of those people that would say "To heck with everyone else, stop this thing so I can get on." Smile

__________________

Offline
Joined: 06/25/2011
Posts: 20

There are lot of attractions in Disney world. Such as Cinderella Castle, Astro Orbiter, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad etc. Actually most of the locations of Walt Disney world are ranging for all type of peoples from very young to seniors. Disney Cruises are most exciting place for all. The Haunted Mansion is not good for the kids, they may get scared of that. Smile

Offline
Joined: 02/10/2011
Posts: 597

I'd say the Land (may be a little boring for the little ones), Ellen's Energy adventure, and of course the whole aquarium complex w Turtle talk and Nemo, all pretty tame and good for all ages I would think. My kids AND my parents like the aquarium.

__________________

Julie

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust

bali's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3444

Julie wrote:
I'd say the Land (may be a little boring for the little ones), Ellen's Energy adventure, and of course the whole aquarium complex w Turtle talk and Nemo, all pretty tame and good for all ages I would think. My kids AND my parents like the aquarium.

Turtle Talk with Nemo is a HUGE pleaser for my whole family -- ALL ages! mickey

__________________


May 2008 CSR mickey

JoAnn C's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/20/2011
Posts: 6707

Here are three that I didn't see mentioned above:

Country Bear Jamboree
Carousel of Progress
Hall of Presidents (depending on the ages of the youngest kids - they may find it boring)

__________________

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker