Ongoing Trip Report Golf Camp 2018

Login to post comments
64 posts / 0 new
JMed's picture
Ongoing Trip Report Golf Camp 2018

It's that time of year again! Blondie is all set to go for Disney Golf Camp!!! We are Going in July again so while I am not looking forward to the heat, it is a trip to Disney!!! Once again, it's just the 3 of us. Me - (42) medical office admin, travel agent and Disney fanatic. Joe (41) Digital Video expert, hockey coach and golfer. Blondie (10) soon to be 5th grader, golfer, Star Wars and Marvel fan.

I got FPs and dining all settled. We are checked in online and MagicBands are ordered! We are going to be staying at Saratoga Springs. I've stayed there before with the girls but this will be a first for Blondie and Joe. I requested to be close to the Carriage House or the Disney Springs path. I really don't have a preference so I will be happy with whatever we get. As of right now, we are only going to DS once this trip.

Blondie of course is in camp Mon-Fri 9-2. Joe is golfing Mon, Tues and Thurs. I haven't decided if I am going to do tours or just roam around the parks or Disney Springs.

I lucked up and got Flights of Passage on a couple different days and a Na'vi River Journey in there too! FastPasses were plentiful this morning around 10-10:30ish. And even when I modified a couple for AK around 6pm there was still lots to choose from. I hope this is a good sign **knock on wood**

I have AK scheduled for 3 days. I figure if there are crowds we can at least check out a bit at a time in Pandora and then do some other stuff in the park. Epcot is 2 days, Hollywood Studios 2 days and Magic Kingdom 1 day. MK just always seems so busy to me that it's fallen to the bottom of my priority list. I could probably skip it but I have to see the castle and have popcorn on Main Street.

I also booked the Star Wars Guided Tour for our arrival day. This is the 7 hour tour that includes dinner and the fireworks dessert party. This is something Joe and Blondie have been wanting to do so we are going for it! I'm actually excited about attending a dessert party, I hear so much positive AND negative that I am curious to check it out on my own.

We decided to skip the water parks for just a relaxing morning at the resort pool. Someday we will get to a water park...

Dining is all new. So far on the list I have Homecoming, On the Rocks Pool Bar, Backlot Express (included with the Star Wars tour), Satu'li Canteen, Restaurantasaurous, Min and Bill's, Casey's Corner, Electric Umbrella and Liberty Inn. I have to pick one more lunch for me and Joe and I want to do my best to fit in milkshakes from Planet Hollywood Observatory somewhere. We are trying to stick to the $ and $$ locations this trip. Nothing too fancy. Breakfasts will be in the room along with snacks and drinks.

Once I get a good plan formed, I will share more info!

I'm letting Joe pick the extra lunch we need to pick up. It's just the 2 of us as Blondie will be in camp. Hopefully I let him keep his choice laugh

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

Kristen K.'s picture

Whoo hoo! Hoorah for the golf camp trip again muchlove You've got some great things planned! We've never reviewed the Rocks Pool Bar or that Star Wars Tour, so if you feel like doing a couple of guest posts let me know! I can't wait to read your trip report.

Allie's picture

Sounds so fun! Can't wait to hear what you think of the Star Wars tour! And I'm confident you'll love Homecomin'! Have some Casey's corn dog nuggets for me too....those things are bomb!

jtownpluto's picture

Your golf camp trips are always fun to read about! Sounds like this one will be just as fun. Can't wait to hear all about it.

JMed's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
Whoo hoo! Hoorah for the golf camp trip again muchlove You've got some great things planned! We've never reviewed the Rocks Pool Bar or that Star Wars Tour, so if you feel like doing a couple of guest posts let me know! I can't wait to read your trip report.

I will make sure to take great notes!!!

Allie wrote:
Sounds so fun! Can't wait to hear what you think of the Star Wars tour! And I'm confident you'll love Homecomin'! Have some Casey's corn dog nuggets for me too....those things are bomb!

I can't believe we've never been to Casey's! Me and Blondie LOVE corn dog nuggets, you would think it's a no brainer!

jtownpluto wrote:
Your golf camp trips are always fun to read about! Sounds like this one will be just as fun. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Awww,thanks! We always try to keep it simple but do some really fun stuff. Don't want to wear the kiddo out with camp going on!

JMed's picture

Alright, I think I have a plan... The only thing that may change is going to be Monday and I will get to that in a bit! We are taking breakfast stuff for the room so we will do that every morning.

Check in Day Saturday - We are going to leave at the crack of dawn to drive down. We have the Star Wars Guided Tour booked for this afternoon yay Check-in for the tour is 2:45. Tour starts at 3. This is the 7 hour tour that includes dinner at Backlot Express, meet and greets, Jedi Training for Blondie, a ride on Star Tours, Fireworks Dessert Party, Special viewings for the shows and more. It is going to be a long day but my SW geeks want to do this and I am down for whatever they want to do! I will be making lots of notes to write up a blog for this tour. I also have a FP for Rock N Roller Coaster (1:25) if we get there early enough.

Sunday - Going to take it easy in the morning since the previous day is packed full S wink wink So we will be spending the day at the High Rock Spring Pool at Saratoga Springs. We will lunch at the On the Rocks Pool Bar. I will also be writing up a review for the pool and bar for the blog so keep an eye out!! Our first FP this day is at 2:55 for Flights of Passage. I am so ready to see Pandora and everything it has to offer. Everything I have heard is good so fingers crossed we all agree! Next up is Festival of the Lion King at 4:30 and Everest at 5:50. Depending on what we do Monday, we may stick around and see Rivers of Light this night.

Monday - First day of golf camp! Blondie gets packed off at 9am. Joe is golfing off property this day and I am going to go to Epcot to stroll around. Our first FP is for Dinosaur at 3:25, Primeval Hurl at 4:30 and Pandora River Journey at 5:50. This is the night I originally planned on seeing Rivers of Light. I may cancel FP for this day and go early Saturday morning to standby River Journey and use or FoP FP. If we cancel FPs we will spend the afternoon at Blizzard Beach. I've heard from several sources that if you get there early it is feesible to ride RJ then use your FP on the other one. If we go dinner will be at Restaurantasaurous. If we go to BB we will have dinner there. There are a lot more options than I expected.

Tuesday - Golf Camp for Blondie, Golf off property for Joe and I head to Animal Kingdom. I plan on just strolling around the park with no major plans. We all go to Epcot in the evening. First FP is at 3:35 for Soarin, then on to Living with the Land and Character Spot. Dinner at the Electric Umbrella and maybe stroll the countries after.

Wednesday - Blondie Golf Camp and Joe and I will have the morning together. Lunch will be at Homecoming and we will just hang around Disney Springs until time to get Blondie. We have FP starting at 4:45 for 7DMT followed by PotC and BTMR. Dinner will be at Casey's Corner and we MAY stay for fireworks. I really HATE fighting MK crowds leaving so who knows what we will do. Maybe go to Poly to watch. I just can't justify keeping Blondie out late for it when she has camp the next morning. We will see them in October when we are staying at the Contemporary so that is the plan.

Thursday - Blondie Camp, Joe golfing off property and I will head to MK. First FP is at HS for RNRC followed by Frozen Sing-along and ToT. Dinner will be at Min and Bill's Dockside Diner.

Friday - Blondie Camp and Joe and I will be together for the morning (maybe) He may go to a friend of ours in the area to help them with installing some TVs. Always working... If he is with me we will go to the Polite Pig in DS and then head to the Coca Cola bar FPs are at 3:35 for Test Track and SPaceship Earth. Dinner at the Liberty Inn.

Saturday - Is it checkout day already???? Depending on Monday we may be going early to ride iver Journey then our FP for FoP at 9:40. After it's time to drive home sad We will eat lunch on the road.

Allie's picture

Sounds like a great plan! I really am dying to try Polite Pig! The menu sounds soooooo good! And I'm not into Star Wars at all...like AT ALL...but even to me that tour sounds pretty awesome.

amy1989's picture

wow that trip sounds great cant wait to hear all about the tour and deffo check out the polite pig I was excited to try then I was kinda meh about it when we went to eat but I was so impressed must do!

Kristen K.'s picture

That sounds like a solid plan, but oh my gosh, that long drive right into the tour! Girl - its a good thing you have a rest day after that. I can't wait to hear more about it all. muchlove

crazycatperson's picture

JMed wrote:
Allie wrote:
Have some Casey's corn dog nuggets for me too....those things are bomb!

I can't believe we've never been to Casey's! Me and Blondie LOVE corn dog nuggets, you would think it's a no brainer!

They ARE the bomb. If you love corn dog nuggets or corn dogs, you've got to try them. And they're relatively affordable by Disney standards.

Edited to add: Polite Pig is awesome, go there if you can fit it in. I loved the ribs and hubby loved the brisket, but we saw someone at a neighboring table eat the chicken and it looked great also.

danijrod's picture

Sounds like an amazing trip planned! I can't wait to hear about the tour and what you think of Pandora Smile

JMed's picture

Thanks everyone, I am really excited about this trip. It is going to be HOT but hey, It's July at Disney and it's well... at Disney!!!!!!

I did dump our Monday FastPasses and got Water Park tix for Blizzard Beach. I moved the River Journey FP to 8:30 IF we decide to run over real quick! We are CRAZY!!!

JanJ's picture

Sounds like a great trip JMed. We love Casey's hot dogs and eat there every trip. I'm sure you'll love it.

JMed's picture

Y'all, I'm so excited about this trip. The last couple have been off property and crazy balls to the wall busy!! I will have down tome and new things all around!!! I am taking the big camera (something I haven't done in a long time) and just going to take in the sights and smells during the day. Parks and resorts!

Dad text me yesterday, him and mom may come down a couple days while we are there too!!

JMed's picture

My parents have decided to join us for a couple of days. They will be there Saturday-Tuesday. Staying at Pop Century, hoping I can get them in a new room so I can go check it out!!

Magic Mirror's picture

It all sounds like so much fun! clapping

Kristen K.'s picture

Awesome!

JMed's picture

We are at about 3 weeks away...

I have been trying my best to keep up with all the new and wonderful things that I want to try!!! So far on my list I have

1. Hand-dipped Corndogs from Sleepy Hollow in Magic Kingdom
2. Kungaloosh from the margarita Stand in Disney Springs
3. New fireworks show in MK - I'm still bitter about Wishes... I can't even remember the name of the new one.
4. EVERYTHING Pandora
5. Cheeseburger Poutine - Daily Poutine at Disney Springs
6. Check out the new dresses at the Marketplace Co-op

What else am I missing?? I feel like there is more but I haven't kept the best notes or saved/bookmarked pages...

Kristen K.'s picture

I love that corn dogs and cocktails are at the top of your list! laugh

JMed's picture

But of course!!!!!!!!!!!

Magic Mirror's picture

Alcohol! You're missing the Alcohol! ? ! beach

JMed's picture

Hummmmmm.... My hubby is on the computer looking at DVC resale contracts. I can officially say he has been bitten!!! laugh laugh

I think all the news yesterday helped! yay yay yay yay

Kristen K.'s picture

yay yay yay
That's Fantastic!

JMed's picture

I told him we would need more points for everything that is coming up... I didn't think he would look!

JMed's picture

Oh my goodness y'all, we go to Disney this week!!! yay yay yay yay yay yay

I washed every single thing in our house over the weekend. Thank goodness I got everything but the last load done before the dryer kicked the bucket!! Joe's socks and a couple pairs of shorts didn't get dried properly but hey, they are clean. sad

I am packed (except my bathroom stuff) yay

Blondie is packed (except for a few things I need her to try to see if they still fit) crossfingers

Joe is on his own and will pack Friday right before we leave yuck

Car is getting an oil change today. biggrin

I purchased gift cards at Target for spending $$ and saved 5%!! clapping

We booked Turf Club for Monday night to have dinner with my parents. Hello 30% discount. Hopefully my 6:25 reservation will get us the discount LOL!!! confused

All in all, I am pretty much ready to rock and roll. I pick Blondie up Thursday after work and hopefully Joe doesn't have to work too long. We are headed down to Jacksonville for the night. Staying at the Embassy Suites right next door to 4 Rivers so I can stuff my self silly on brisket and then roll back to the room. The more I thought about it the more I hated the idea of driving down and going right into the tour. This way we have time to chill a bit before it starts and I get a meal at one of my favorite restaurants!!!

I really can't wait and I will probably be recapping the days as we go since I am always up so early so keep you eyes out. I will also be posting on our Facebook page and Instagram!

Hurry Saturday!!!!!

Kristen K.'s picture

Whoo hooo! Do I follow you on Instagram yet? give us a link to your Instagram muchlove

JMed's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
Whoo hooo! Do I follow you on Instagram yet? give us a link to your Instagram muchlove

I'm not sure if you do or not LOL

I am at huotaridisneyadventures on Instagram!

oHIo's picture

Be prepared! While we were at Disney it was tolerable but today is 96* feels like 105* (HELL)

JanJ's picture

Have fun JMed! Looking forward to seeing your pics and hearing your thoughts about Pandora. mickey

JMed's picture

oHIo wrote:
Be prepared! While we were at Disney it was tolerable but today is 96* feels like 105* (HELL)

We've been walking a good bit trying to get used to the heat and being out in it! Still not prepared for the reality of being in it all day. But other than Blondie being in camp, we don't have lots planned for the day, mostly evening. Still hot but hopefully not as bad. Luckily Charleston is just as hot so we know what to expect.

JanJ wrote:
Have fun JMed! Looking forward to seeing your pics and hearing your thoughts about Pandora. mickey

Thanks Jan, I can't wait to see Pandora!!!

amy1989's picture

yay I'm so excited for the adventures!! yay yay yay