Origins of your Disney love?

Login to post comments
27 posts / 0 new
dsoup's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/11/2008
Posts: 2884
Origins of your Disney love?

How long have you been visiting the Disney resorts? Does your love of Disney precede that? What made you start loving it?

Choices

You are not eligible to vote in this poll.

Vettelover's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2009
Posts: 4656

I must admit that the first time I went, it was as an adult when we (ex-wife) and I brought the kids and stayed in the cabins at FW.

__________________

PsychoAlice's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/19/2010
Posts: 271

my first trip was when i was 4 days old!

__________________

LifeIsForLiving's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2009
Posts: 1596

I was still legally blind my first trip(Drunk. I thought IASW was the most terrifying thing EVER. I also thought ET was a horror movie. They didn't know I couldn't see until I was two and a half or so.

admin's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/14/2010
Posts: 2733

I went as a kid, but the real LOVE for the place began when I was an adult! I loved that I could plan the trip as I wanted. Going with my parents as a kid meant visiting during Spring Break and summer -- huge crowds and heat.

But going as an adult meant I could visit at a more relaxing pace!

LifeIsForLiving's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2009
Posts: 1596

When I was a kid going to Disneyland was easy. It was so familiar to us it never seemed stressful or busy no matter how crowded it got. Was just a big playground for us. There were times when a parent would just drop a couple of us kids off in the morning and pick us up that night.

ChipnDaleFan's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/02/2010
Posts: 882

I loved the movies since Kindergarten when Ariel first popped into theaters. My first trip was when I was in third grade b/c may parents waited until my little borther was old enough to undertsand and enjoy it. I was hooked!

__________________

Grovesnor offsite '93 ~ Port Orleans '94 ~ Port Orleans '95 ~ Caribbean Beach '97~ Carribbean Beach '99 ~ Caribbean Beach '00 ~ Offsite '02~ Caribbean Beach '08 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter '10 ~ Dolphin/Hilton '12-~All Star Sports '16

Bella's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/11/2010
Posts: 3886

I have an aunt who lives outside of Orlando so I went a lot as a kid...but just for day trips.
My real LOVE for Disney started after my DH (then he was just my BF) and I went down for a few days during our first Christmas together. It was SO much fun..and we were hooked!

__________________

mickey Bella


cdub's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3220

I know a lot of people like that Bella. Where they went as a kid, but didn't really LOVE it until they were an adult. I think that if I hadn't been introduced to it the way I was, I might not have been nearly the fan I am.

LifeIsForLiving's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2009
Posts: 1596

I'd say I fall into that category. I mentioned elsewhere here that I never had any real desire to go to WDW because I had been to DL so many times. It was always fun but wasn't special to us. The most fun we ever had at Disneyland was when they had Builder's Emporium nights way back when. Was a private night only for Builder's employees and their families. Didn't really "get it" until I was an adult and took my first trip to the World.

Bella's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/11/2010
Posts: 3886

cdub wrote:
I know a lot of people like that Bella. Where they went as a kid, but didn't really LOVE it until they were an adult. I think that if I hadn't been introduced to it the way I was, I might not have been nearly the fan I am.

I loved it when I was a kid and I had the Disney bug but I guess I became OBSESSED when I was an adult!

It's so odd. There are so many places that I haven't been or done but I would go back to Disney over and over again instead of doing all those other things. My DH and I can really be on "vacation" there. We know it so well that it's low stress for us. We love riding the bus so we don't have to worry about driving and getting lost. Ahh..I just love it so much!!

__________________

mickey Bella


PsychoAlice's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/19/2010
Posts: 271

LifeIsForLiving wrote:
I'd say I fall into that category. I mentioned elsewhere here that I never had any real desire to go to WDW because I had been to DL so many times. It was always fun but wasn't special to us. The most fun we ever had at Disneyland was when they had Builder's Emporium nights way back when. Was a private night only for Builder's employees and their families. Didn't really "get it" until I was an adult and took my first trip to the World.


SHUT UP!

My mom was a store manager Builders Emporium in Lancaster and Canyon Country!

BE nights were THE BEST!!!!

__________________

caitiesus's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/11/2009
Posts: 682

I was also legally blind the first time I went (I was three). I don't remember much about the trip (other than Dumbo) but my parents loved taking my brother (who was 5), especially since we though that Mickey WAS Mickey. I love looking at all the pictures and autograph books from that trip!

dsoup's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/11/2008
Posts: 2884

caitiesus wrote:
I was also legally blind the first time I went (I was three). I don't remember much about the trip (other than Dumbo) but my parents loved taking my brother (who was 5), especially since we though that Mickey WAS Mickey. I love looking at all the pictures and autograph books from that trip!

It's nice that there are a lot of good audio components too. Probably the best park you could visit if the visual components were going to be hard to see.

LifeIsForLiving's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2009
Posts: 1596

PsychoAlice wrote:
LifeIsForLiving wrote:
I'd say I fall into that category. I mentioned elsewhere here that I never had any real desire to go to WDW because I had been to DL so many times. It was always fun but wasn't special to us. The most fun we ever had at Disneyland was when they had Builder's Emporium nights way back when. Was a private night only for Builder's employees and their families. Didn't really "get it" until I was an adult and took my first trip to the World.


SHUT UP!

My mom was a store manager Builders Emporium in Lancaster and Canyon Country!

BE nights were THE BEST!!!!

Awesome; glad to find someone else who got to experience how great those nights were. We would look forward to that all year.

cdub's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3220

Is Builder's Emporium a shop?

LifeIsForLiving's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2009
Posts: 1596

BE was a home improvement store like Lowe's or Home Depot only done right. It was staffed with highly skilled professionals in each area. It was kind of like the mom and pop hardware store but on a grander scale. Somewhere along the way, the company was sold and their vision changed. They moved to cut costs with unskilled employees and an apparent focus on cutting corners. It was the beginning of the end for the company. The company went under and as far as I can tell those bearing the name now are of no relation to the original.

As for the original topic; you could say my love for Disney started with Builder's Emporium Family Night. This thread reminds me what special times those were; more magical than any other as a child.

PsychoAlice's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/19/2010
Posts: 271

LifeIsForLiving wrote:
BE was a home improvement store like Lowe's or Home Depot only done right. It was staffed with highly skilled professionals in each area. It was kind of like the mom and pop hardware store but on a grander scale. Somewhere along the way, the company was sold and their vision changed. They moved to cut costs with unskilled employees and an apparent focus on cutting corners. It was the beginning of the end for the company. The company went under and as far as I can tell those bearing the name now are of no relation to the original.

As for the original topic; you could say my love for Disney started with Builder's Emporium Family Night. This thread reminds me what special times those were; more magical than any other as a child.



Kind like what Michael Eisner did to Disney a couple years ago!

__________________

dsoup's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/11/2008
Posts: 2884

PsychoAlice wrote:

Kind like what Michael Eisner did to Disney a couple years ago!

Ooh Eisner burn! laugh laugh

Annie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 1610

I went as a kid with my family -- great experiences, but it's so much different as an adult! As a kid, it's carefree and magical. As an adult, it's romantic and relaxing.

Brad's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/05/2008
Posts: 4357

I was brought onboard by my significant other. Her enthusiasm was contagious. Now I think I'd go without her.

milliehubbard's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/25/2009
Posts: 489

I'd have to say "The Wonderful World of Disney" on TV in the 60s. I can remember curling up on the floor in front of the TV with my pillow and blanket and being in HEAVEN!!

__________________

Resorts

2017 AKL-Jambo House (May)
2017 Old Key West (Apr)
2016 Port Orleans Riverside (Oct)-Hurricane Matthew!!
2016 Old Key West (Aug)
2016 CBR (Jul)
2016 Art of Animation (May)
2015 Ft. Wilderness Campground (Oct)
2014 Sherwood Forest RV Park (Nov)
2013 Pop Century (Jul)
2012 Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress (Jul)
2011 Radisson Lake Buena Vista (Aug)
2010 Pop Century (Nov)
2009 PO Riverside (Jul)
2008 Pop Century (Apr)
2006-2007 FL residents: Hunters Creek 8 miles from the parks!!
2005 All Star Sports (Jul)
2005 PO Riverside/CBR/CSR (Apr)
mickey

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker Free Disney Tickers

Bella's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/11/2010
Posts: 3886

Brad wrote:
I was brought onboard by my significant other. Her enthusiasm was contagious. Now I think I'd go without her.

awesome
I think my DH is the same way. He's not as 'crrrrrrrraaaazzzyyy' about it as I am but when he gets in the mood there is NO stopping him!

Now..if someone could please send him a lanyard of Guiness from the UK along with some wings from Ohana that would probably help speed up my trip planning..okthanks..

__________________

mickey Bella


Tony's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/23/2009
Posts: 1260

milliehubbard wrote:
I'd have to say "The Wonderful World of Disney" on TV in the 60s. I can remember curling up on the floor in front of the TV with my pillow and blanket and being in HEAVEN!!

__________________

I can only please one person per day. Today isn't your day... tomorrow doesn't look good either.

Tony's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/23/2009
Posts: 1260

milliehubbard wrote:
I'd have to say "The Wonderful World of Disney" on TV in the 60s. I can remember curling up on the floor in front of the TV with my pillow and blanket and being in HEAVEN!!

I can remember that on TV in the UK in the late 70's.

__________________

I can only please one person per day. Today isn't your day... tomorrow doesn't look good either.

SpaceAce's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2008
Posts: 2532

Tony wrote:
milliehubbard wrote:
I'd have to say "The Wonderful World of Disney" on TV in the 60s. I can remember curling up on the floor in front of the TV with my pillow and blanket and being in HEAVEN!!

I can remember that on TV in the UK in the late 70's.

I know they brought the Wonderful World of Disney back in the 80's, too, didn't they? Or was it just continuing?

__________________

[url=http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/'http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

2010 Beach Club Resort
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2009 CBR/Polynesian

LifeIsForLiving's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2009
Posts: 1596

Yep. I grew up watching it too.