Orlando hotels in worse straits than post-Sept 2001

Login to post comments
8 posts / 0 new
bali's picture
Orlando hotels in worse straits than post-Sept 2001

Just saw this article and found it interesting/sad. The economy is really hitting Orlando hard...though Disney is keeping its head above water...

Orlando Sentinel article

May 2008 CSR mickey

dsoup's picture

Yikes! Sounds like a fun time to go, no crowds! I wonder if the Christmas crowds will be up to par this year?

SpaceAce's picture

dsoup wrote:
Yikes! Sounds like a fun time to go, no crowds! I wonder if the Christmas crowds will be up to par this year?

Good question. Looking forward to hearing reports from Zzap and fjfuchs

[url=http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/'http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

2010 Beach Club Resort
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2009 CBR/Polynesian

dsoup's picture

Was thinking it might be the opportunity of a lifetime to check out the Christmas scene without dealing with the crowds.

LeCellierBuff1963's picture

That's pretty scary. The only time I've ever stayed off-property was on my first trip in 1982 with my HS class, when we stayed three or four to a room at the Holiday Inn in Kissimmee.

It seems to me that normally the off-property hotels get the guests that can't get on-property after the Disney resorts all sell out. In this recession, the Disney resorts aren't at full capacity because fewer people are traveling there. Therefore, there's no spillover to I-Drive and surrounding hotels.

I personally have no objection to staying off-property; I just need a clean and comfortable room in which to crash after running around all day. But because I cannot drive, staying off Disney property is extremely impractical.

Jim

Brad's picture

Plus, staying off property = No EMH!!!

bali's picture

I really do like the on-property disney perks. Package delivery is quite nice, and it's almost always easier to bus into MK vs. drive.

I haven't stayed off-property in quite some time, either. It sounds silly, but there really is something special in staying at a Disney hotel. Staff are always great, I love those hidden mickeys, I'm such a sucker!

May 2008 CSR mickey

dsoup's picture

I actually kind of like lounging around the room, so I think it would be a serious downgrade to stay off site.