Planning a Secret Holiday for My Soon To Be Husband- 2016/2017

Login to post comments
50 posts / 0 new
danijrod's picture
Planning a Secret Holiday for My Soon To Be Husband- 2016/2017

Hello everyone,

My name is Danielle I am 22 and this is my first post on here. My friend Amy1989 introduced me to WDWFG last year.

So to the Disney part. Well I have been to Disney twice in my life once in 1999 and the second time in 2004. I love it and have always wanted to go back but we never managed to get back. But this year I am getting married and starting my life and want to surprise my future husband to be with a Disney holiday. He has also been twice but he was 6 months and 4 and can't really remember it.

I have been talking and planning it with Amy1989 and the plan is hopefully for September 2016 staying in the Coronado for 14 days if i manage to save enough in time if not to push it back to May 2017.

I am hoping to pay the deposit on the Coronado in April and take it from there. I am hoping for September 2016 so I can tell him this Christmas and then he could start saving spending money or something, if not I would tell him in July 2016 if we end up going in May 2017 on our wedding anniversary.

I am just wanting peoples opinions on this and any ideas I might not think of. Also I was wanting opinions on going in May on the weather and how busy it is as Amy1989 normally goes in September so I have a good idea of what to expect and for the food and wine festival.

Because I am saving up for the two of us I am trying to get the most of the holiday and experience but at the same time trying to save as much as possible.

Thank you in advance, any help is appreciated Smile

MrHub's picture

Well welcome to WDWForGrownups! I'm sure you will find all the answers you need here. May is a gorgeous time of year to go to WDW, although you know Florida weather can change in an instance from nice to unbearable and it's never to early to plan a trip to WDW.

Kristen K.'s picture

Hello Dani! Welcome to the forums muchlove

How exciting to plan a surprise trip! Disney is a fantastic place for couples to enjoy. So, you've picked your resort, have you thought about dining at all or what you want to do while you're there?

danijrod's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
Hello Dani! Welcome to the forums muchlove

How exciting to plan a surprise trip! Disney is a fantastic place for couples to enjoy. So, you've picked your resort, have you thought about dining at all or what you want to do while you're there?

Hi Kristen!

Thank you for your reply! Smile

I know I am super excited! I have thought about the Quick Service dining plan and think I will hold out till the free dining is on at the Colorando I think .

I'm not sure on what to do at the minute though. I know I would love to do the food and wine festival if we end up going in September but other than that I haven't got any other ideas. :/ I'm trying to think of stuff that will suit us both and not just me ha!

danijrod's picture

MrHub wrote:
Well welcome to WDWForGrownups! I'm sure you will find all the answers you need here. May is a gorgeous time of year to go to WDW, although you know Florida weather can change in an instance from nice to unbearable and it's never to early to plan a trip to WDW.

Thank you Mr Hub!

It's so exciting and WDWFG has so many good ideas and helpful guides Laughing out loud

Kristen K.'s picture

What sort of things does you fiance like? I'm sure that we could help you find the Disney side in it. mickey

Food and Wine Festival is a lot of fun if you can hit it.

Check out this article on on maximizing the quick service plan.
http://www.disneytouristblog.com/dining-plan-counter-service-best-values/

danijrod's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
What sort of things does you fiance like? I'm sure that we could help you find the Disney side in it. mickey

Food and Wine Festival is a lot of fun if you can hit it.

Check out this article on on maximizing the quick service plan.
http://www.disneytouristblog.com/dining-plan-counter-service-best-values/

Thank you I will give it a read now Smile

Hmmmm, he likes music, guitars, jack daniels, football(Soccer)... is that bad that's all I can think of? I am trying to secretly bring the Disney out of him ha.

Kristen K.'s picture

Let's see - What sort of Music? Epcot has lots of great performances throughout the day and during Food & Wine Festival there's a nightly concert series. Mulch, Sweat & Shears is a popular performance group over at Hollywood Studios, and there's the Rockin' Rollercoaster ride too. WDW has a few great places for jazz, dixieland, and dueling pianos at the different resorts.

At the Bordwalk, there's an ESPN restaurant for a sports fix, and I believe a couple of the bars carry some great whiskey. Mizners maybe? I'm not a whiskey drinker but there must be someplace.

You said that you were going in September and wanted to hit Food and Wine over your two week stay. I assume you're planning on going at the tail end of September?

Allie's picture

Hi and welcome I haven't been to the World in May since I was a kid, but we went last year in September and it was a great time to go, though it is very HOT so be warned. Can't wait to hear your plans develop and glad you joined us!

danijrod's picture

I had no idea there was that much stuff ,that's amazing! Thank you! I totally forgot about ESPN he loves all sport really so that may be a must visit.

Yeah I have had a look and my plan so far is Thursday 22nd September till Thursday 6th October.

Smile

danijrod's picture

Allie wrote:
Hi and welcome I haven't been to the World in May since I was a kid, but we went last year in September and it was a great time to go, though it is very HOT so be warned. Can't wait to hear your plans develop and glad you joined us!

Thank you Allie Smile

Everyone is so nice and welcoming it's lovely.

I can't wait to plan them and he has no idea, I love it. Smile

Kristen K.'s picture

danijrod wrote:
I had no idea there was that much stuff ,that's amazing! Thank you! I totally forgot about ESPN he loves all sport really so that me be a must visit.

Yeah I have had a look and my plan so far is Thursday 22nd September till Thursday 6th October.

The Thursday before Food & Wine Festival is a great day to go, because they usually do a unadvertised soft opening for practice. You'll want to avoid opening the opening weekend Friday & Saturday of the festival after about 3pm if you don't love crowds and long lines. This is one of those times of year when even I want the Park Hopper option on my passes.

Do you guys love villains and Halloween? Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party is an extra ticket event that will be happening at Magic Kingdom on select nights. It's a fun special event if you get into that.

Vettelover's picture

Hello Danielle and welcome so glad you followed Amy1989 lead and joined our happy group.

danijrod's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
danijrod wrote:
I had no idea there was that much stuff ,that's amazing! Thank you! I totally forgot about ESPN he loves all sport really so that me be a must visit.

The Thursday before Food & Wine Festival is a great day to go, because they usually do a unadvertised soft opening for practice. You'll want to avoid opening the opening weekend Friday & Saturday of the festival after about 3pm if you don't love crowds and long lines. This is one of those times of year when even I want the Park Hopper option on my passes.

Do you guys love villains and Halloween? Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party is an extra ticket event that will be happening at Magic Kingdom on select nights. It's a fun special event if you get into that.

Yeah I do and he does I mean I am a total scaredy cat so never thought about the Halloween stuff, but I like the sounds of not so scary ha!

I definitely do not like lines or crowds at all ha! I am going to write this all down Smile

danijrod's picture

Vettelover wrote:
Hello Danielle and welcome so glad you followed Amy1989 lead and joined our happy group.

Thank you very much Smile well Amy1989 is one of my best friends and she has been training me up on all things Disney Smile

amy1989's picture

Yay you joined!!!! These are a fab bunch of people on here they will help out and don't be frightened to ask questions!

Now we need to get started on your spreadsheet! Haha welcome to the group and jump on in!

Mrferret's picture

If you do have to push it back to 2017 May is also a great time to visit.(we actually prefer it to September).
There is the whole F+G festival which also seems to be getting more food year on year.And if you are into that there is also SWW.

Howdy Y'all
https://www.facebook.com/matthew.tucker1
Caution Content May be inappropriate

May/June 2016 Magic cruise to Norway
2017 Prtugal wedding adventures
2018 Alskan disney cruise ??
2019 Florida

93boomer's picture

welcome to the best board online! The people here are super-nice and very helpful!! You two are so cute!! What a nice surprise for him! Ask any questions you have about anything Disney.

Mrferret's picture

And Welcome to the boards from sunny (for today) Guernsey beach

Howdy Y'all
https://www.facebook.com/matthew.tucker1
Caution Content May be inappropriate

May/June 2016 Magic cruise to Norway
2017 Prtugal wedding adventures
2018 Alskan disney cruise ??
2019 Florida

finngirl's picture

Hi and welcome. You're going to have so much fun planning it all. We've been in May many times, September once, and October once. May is a super time to go, especially at the beginning of the month, when crowds are usually lower than later in the month. That's usually when they start extending hours for the parks at night for the summer, and it's hot enough to swim and do water parks, but not so hot you melt. The F & W festival in the fall is fun, but there are also some similar booths during the F & G festival in the spring (not as many though). No matter when you go, you will have a blast!

Diana

Time marches on. Eventually you realize it's doing it across your face.

Mad Hatter's picture

welcome Late September/early October is our absolute favorite time to go. Crowds are usually relatively low and the weather is just the way I like it. Keep the Downtown Disney area in mind, there may be some things there that would entertain you and your fiancee. There is a special fireworks show at the Magic Kingdom on Halloween Party nights that is worth seeing. Also new since your 2004 trip is the Magic Express service. It's free and will handle your transfers to/from the Orlando airport, so no need to rent a car unless you plan on using it while you are in the world.

Things get curiouser and curiouser...

alicemouse's picture

Welcome, Dani! Both May and September are great times to go and al of the previous posters seem to have hit all of the festivals and celebrations that each has to offer.

We were there in both May and September last year and the weather was basically the same for both--we happened to hit slightly warmer, more humid, & rainier weather in September than in May, but that will vary from year to year. We were there one year in April and it was so stifling hot that I could hardly stand it and the next time we went in April we wore jackets most of the week.

By the way, I think our perception of the weather is largely based on what weather we've adapted to at home. 80 degrees in Disney in December bothers me more than 100 degrees in August. In the summer, we're used to hot & humid at home, so it's only a change of about 5 degrees. In the winter when it's 20 degrees at home, 80 feels MUCH hotter than it is and it actually more uncomfortable to me.

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

danijrod's picture

amy1989 wrote:
Yay you joined!!!! These are a fab bunch of people on here they will help out and don't be frightened to ask questions!

Now we need to get started on your spreadsheet! Haha welcome to the group and jump on in!

Yes any we do well we already have one but it's not complete ha!

Thank you everyone! I am really enjoying reading though everyone's posts Smile

At least I know now that it's still as lovely in May as september if needs be. Smile

danijrod's picture

alicemouse wrote:
Welcome, Dani! Both May and September are great times to go and al of the previous posters seem to have hit all of the festivals and celebrations that each has to offer.

We were there in both May and September last year and the weather was basically the same for both--we happened to hit slightly warmer, more humid, & rainier weather in September than in May, but that will vary from year to year. We were there one year in April and it was so stifling hot that I could hardly stand it and the next time we went in April we wore jackets most of the week.

By the way, I think our perception of the weather is largely based on what weather we've adapted to at home. 80 degrees in Disney in December bothers me more than 100 degrees in August. In the summer, we're used to hot & humid at home, so it's only a change of about 5 degrees. In the winter when it's 20 degrees at home, 80 feels MUCH hotter than it is and it actually more uncomfortable to me.

Thank you alicemouse!

Anything has to be hotter than sunderland in England so that sounds great to me!

At least I know that either or will be good and have festivals.
Smile

crazycatperson's picture

Hello!

I've been to WDW in September and it is HOT, so hot I took midday breaks to shower and cool off back at our resort. But the crowds are about as small as they get at WDW, so I would happily go back again that time of year.

If the fiance is a big sports fan and saving money is a goal, I recommend the All-Star Sports resort. Robynprincess and I were there just a few weeks ago. It's a value resort, so not fancy, but the sports theme is interesting and it will cost less than Coronado. I'd stay there again without any qualms at all. I recommend the tennis or basketball sections; they seemed to be a bit quieter than the others.

danijrod's picture

crazycatperson wrote:
Hello!

I've been to WDW in September and it is HOT, so hot I took midday breaks to shower and cool off back at our resort. But the crowds are about as small as they get at WDW, so I would happily go back again that time of year.

If the fiance is a big sports fan and saving money is a goal, I recommend the All-Star Sports resort. Robynprincess and I were there just a few weeks ago. It's a value resort, so not fancy, but the sports theme is interesting and it will cost less than Coronado. I'd stay there again without any qualms at all. I recommend the tennis or basketball sections; they seemed to be a bit quieter than the others.

Hi!

I like the idea of it being hot, but i know it might be unbearable especially when we aren't used to it. :/

Well i was looking at the value hotels but i know you don't get the free dining with them. But i might look into because if it ends up i can't afford it then i would definitely look into that hotel. Smile Thank you Smile

JoAnn C's picture

danijrod wrote:
Well i was looking at the value hotels but i know you don't get the free dining with them. But i might look into because if it ends up i can't afford it then i would definitely look into that hotel. Smile Thank you Smile

Usually value resorts get the quick service dining plan when free dining is offered. You can get any dining plan and pay the difference.

JMed's picture

Hi and Welcome! I've not been in either of the months you are going so I am not going to be much help. But what I can help with is the adult fun! The hubby and I went back in November for my 40th birthday. There was lots of food and beverages included in the trip and we had the "free" dining plan. We stayed at POP Century when we went the plan we had was a QS, TS and a snack each daily. It worked out perfect for us.

We loved everything about it. We did a monorail crawl stopping for a drink at each of the 3 resorts on the line. There are more bars/lounges than you would think at Disney. We usually go with our daughter but when we went alone, we found many things we didn't know about! Everyone should have Jack Daniels as it is a basic here in the states but then there are several others if he feels like trying something new.

DTD is a perfect entertainment venue. House of Blues has a concert venue, Splitsville has bowling and (from what I hear) amazing food (it's on my list to eat there soon), the entertainers at Raglan Road and many more options.

I am sure you will find tons to do that your hubby to be will enjoy and his DisneySide will come out before you know it.

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

danijrod's picture

JoAnn C wrote:
danijrod wrote:

Usually value resorts get the quick service dining plan when free dining is offered. You can get any dining plan and pay the difference.

JoAnn C wrote:
danijrod wrote:

Ahh thank you I didn't realise that Smile

danijrod's picture

JMed wrote:
Hi and Welcome! I've not been in either of the months you are going so I am not going to be much help. But what I can help with is the adult fun! The hubby and I went back in November for my 40th birthday. There was lots of food and beverages included in the trip and we had the "free" dining plan. We stayed at POP Century when we went the plan we had was a QS, TS and a snack each daily. It worked out perfect for us.

We loved everything about it. We did a monorail crawl stopping for a drink at each of the 3 resorts on the line. There are more bars/lounges than you would think at Disney. We usually go with our daughter but when we went alone, we found many things we didn't know about! Everyone should have Jack Daniels as it is a basic here in the states but then there are several others if he feels like trying something new.

DTD is a perfect entertainment venue. House of Blues has a concert venue, Splitsville has bowling and (from what I hear) amazing food (it's on my list to eat there soon), the entertainers at Raglan Road and many more options.

I am sure you will find tons to do that your hubby to be will enjoy and his DisneySide will come out before you know it.

This all sounds amazing I don't personally drink but her does and he would love the idea of getting off the monorail for drinks. I am getting so excited Smile I love bowling so splitsville sounds like a great idea for something to do to relax from the parks.

Thank you for all your great ideas I really appreciate it.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner.

JMed's picture

danijrod wrote:
JMed wrote:

This all sounds amazing I don't personally drink but her does and he would love the idea of getting off the monorail for drinks. I am getting so excited Smile I love bowling so splitsville sounds like a great idea for something to do to relax from the parks.

Thank you for all your great ideas I really appreciate it.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner.

Don't worry about it! There are times I disappear for days lol.

You can check out our adults only trip report here if you have a little time to read!
http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/happy-40th-me-live-bubble

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too