Princess Half Marathon 2018 Trip Report

Login to post comments
27 posts / 0 new
Spook's picture
Princess Half Marathon 2018 Trip Report

In one month I will be back at Disney World yay Once again I am running Princess. I am running the 5K and the Fairy Tale Challenge ( 10K and Half marathon). I just love Princess weekend muchlove I am flying in on February 21 and staying at All Star Movies then moving to Animal Kingdom Lodge Feb 22-26. I have most of my plans made but I'm sure they will change multiple times before ( and during) the trip.

Here's what the current plan is:

Wedneday

Land around 10:30am and head to All Star Movies to check in. Shopping at Disney Springs. I currently have a dinner reservation at Trails End but I'm probably going to cancel and get pizza at the resort instead.

Thursday

Check out of All Star. Head to Epcot. I have fastpasses for Living with the Land, Character Spot and Test Track. Lunch reservation at Beaches and cream ( also might cancel). In the afternoon I'll head to the expo to pick up my race stuff and check out the merchandise. After the expo I'll head to AKL to check in and get some sleep for an early morning.

Friday

5K is at 5:30am. After the race I'll head back to shower and change and then head to Animal Kingdom. Fastpasses for Expedition Everest, Safari, and meet Mickey and Minnie. Another early night tonight.

Saturday

10K at 5:30am. Once again after the race I'll head back to change and shower. Then it's Magic Kingdom time! Fast pass for Big Thunder Mountain, Haunted Mansion and Space mountain. I have afternoon tea at 3:50pm with Joann and then metting up for pizza and a mini pool party with Kristen and company.

Sunday

Half at 5:30am. Last early morning awesome After the race it will be another Magic Kingdom day. Fast passes today are for Space Mountain, Peter Pan, and Mine Train. I have lunch booked at Be Our Guest (again, might cancel). I doubt I'll stay for any fireworks after all those early mornings, but we'll see.

Monday

Breakfast at Boma this morning (will NOT be cancelling this one laugh ). After breakfast, I'll finish packing and catch the Tragical Express sad

I'm trying really hard to save money so I plan on ordering groceries from Publix this trip. This is why I might cancel most of my ADR's laugh Although I love Publix so I may end up ordering more than I should laugh

JoAnn C's picture

Can't wait. You're welcome to join my cousins and I for breakfast Friday, Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Spook's picture

JoAnn C wrote:
Can't wait. You're welcome to join my cousins and I for breakfast Friday, Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Aw thanks! I'll keep it mind mickey

Kristen K.'s picture

I can't wait to meet you guys!

Spook's picture

Kristen K. wrote:

I'm really looking forward to our meetup too yay

JoAnn C's picture

Spook wrote:
Kristen K. wrote:

I'm really looking forward to our meetup too yay

Me too!

JMed's picture

wait!!! me too!!!!!!!! Majority of my time will be Thursday morning and Sunday.

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

Kristen K.'s picture

Becks and I talked and we will be by Uzima Springs pool at Animal Kingdom 6pm on Saturday the 25th for drinks (and pizza for us).

Spook's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
Becks and I talked and we will be by Uzima Springs pool at Animal Kingdom 6pm on Saturday the 25th for drinks (and pizza for us).

Can't wait! Is that the pool near the Mara?

Spook's picture

So I went ahead and cancelled pretty much all of my ADR's. Still have breakfast at Boma though awesome
However, I am now joining Joann and her cousins for breakfast at Trattoria al Forno ( Tangled breakfast yay muchlove ) and Trails End. I'm so excited!

JoAnn C's picture

Spook wrote:
However, I am now joining Joann and her cousins for breakfast at Trattoria al Forno ( Tangled breakfast yay muchlove ) and Trails End. I'm so excited!

clapping clapping clapping clapping

Kristen K.'s picture

Spook wrote:
Kristen K. wrote:

Can't wait! Is that the pool near the Mara?

Sure is!

Spook's picture

Sitting at the airport. Should be flying out in about 2 hours.

I don't know how people can do solo trips. After one night I'm bored and miss Erik laugh Hopefully once I'm at Disney it'll be better.

Kristen K.'s picture

I busy myself with photography when I'm on my own. Looking forward to seeing you soon!!

Spook's picture

I lucked out and my room was ready when I checked in awesome I dropped my stuff off and headed to Disney Springs. Lunch at the Daily Poutine was good but huge! Did some shopping but didn't get too crazy. I need to avoid the Dress Shop. There are now 4 dresses I want gaah

Now I'm hanging out in the room. Probably not venturing out anywhere for the rest of the night. I have been up since 3am so I'm thinking an early bed time.

Spook's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
I busy myself with photography when I'm on my own. Looking forward to seeing you soon!!

I should've brought my good camera waiting

Kristen K.'s picture

Spook wrote:
I lucked out and my room was ready when I checked in awesome I dropped my stuff off and headed to Disney Springs. Lunch at the Daily Poutine was good but huge! Did some shopping but didn't get too crazy. I need to avoid the Dress Shop. There are now 4 dresses I want gaah

Now I'm hanging out in the room. Probably not venturing out anywhere for the rest of the night. I have been up since 3am so I'm thinking an early bed time.

Keep up that 3am wake-up and early to bed, you will be totally set for the races!

Spook's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
Spook wrote:

Keep up that 3am wake-up and early to bed, you will be totally set for the races!

I was thinking that lol

Spook's picture

Yesterday after checking out I headed to Epcot. Got pictures with Mickey, goofy and Minnie at the character spot then rode living with the land. Wandered around the world a couple times and grabbed a snack at Karamell Kuche ( not sure that's spelled right lol. The caramel store in Germany anyway). I got the milk chocolate caramel square with sea salt. Good choice.

After Epcot I went to check out my room at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Dropped some stuff off and headed to the expo. Apparently earlier it was a 2 hour wait just to get into the merchandise building eek Luckily it was much more sane by the time I got there. Picked up my race stuff and bought more than I should have laugh

Then I went back to my room and unpacked the groceries I ordered. Early bedtime since I have to get up at 3am

Spook's picture

Today was the 5K. It went pretty good. Seemed to go by fast. It was pretty warm but not too bad. The 10K and half will be much tougher with that heat yuck After the race I met Joann and her cousins for breakfast at Trattoria al Forno. It was delicious and I loved meeting Rapunzel and Flynn Rider!

After breakfast I headed to Animal Kingdom. I wandered around for a while then rode the safari and Everest. Quite a few animals out and about on the safari, even the rhinos. Left around 4 and am now in for the night. Another 3am wake up tomorrow for the 10K.

Spook's picture

Feb 24

Up at 3am for the 10K. It was a good run, not too crowded. It was hot again but manageable. The sun wasn't up so that helped a lot. I stopped for a picture with Goofy awesome After the race I went back for a nap. When I got up, I headed to MK. It was insane! I wandered around a bit, rode space mountain and watched the stage show. The park was too busy and hot so I grabbed a boat to the Grand Floridian.

I met JoAnn and her cousins for Afternoon Tea. It was my first time there and I really enjoyed it. Good food, good tea, good service, good company mickey After tea, JoAnn and I headed over to AKL for a mini meetup with Kristen, Becks and Jmed. It was so great to see them! We hung out by the pool at Jambo for a bit then called it a night to rest up for the half marathon.

Spook's picture

Feb 25

Up at 2am today eek Caught the first bus to the start. Met up with Kristen and Becks and walked to the corrals together. I ended up near the front of my corral which was nice. The race was great! It was very humid again but not as bad as I was expecting. I had brought a cooling towel with me just in case but didn't end up needing it. There were two pace groups in my corral but I forced myself to ignore them. I haven't been training at their intervals so I figured I was better off running my own race and running as I've been training. The 2:15 group passed me in MK and it took every ounce of willpower not to try and keep up to them laugh The group remained in sight until about mile 10. I lost them there as I PASSED them! I ended up running my fastest half marathon ever! I finished in 2:14. I was so excited!

After the race, I headed back for a shower then met JoAnn at Trails End. That has to be one of my favourite restaurants. It's so good! And as we were getting ready to leave, I heard someone order a Pibb! I didn't know they had it there! We don't have Pibb in Canada so I have to get my fix at Disney laugh

After brunch we headed to MK. Watched Mickey's Philharmagic and rode Small World. Then I went to search for hidden Pascals in the Tangled area. I found 7. I think there are 10. I was going to stay for Festival of Fantasy but it was just too hot. I walked over to Bay Lake. Have to check up on my "home" laugh

Headed back to my room to start laundry and packing.

Spook's picture

Feb 26

Home time. Actually got to sleep in until 8am eek Caught the tragical express ( although for once it wasn't that tragical lol). Got to the airport and everything went very smoothly. Security wasn't too busy ( I hate how you have to take out all food and put it in its own bin here) and I was at my gate in no time. Unfortunately, when I got there I found out my flight was delayed 20 minutes. Oh well, 20 minutes isn't too bad. Sadly, it ended up being an hour and a half! We had to wait because a passenger decided they were too ill to fly. They had to get off the plane and then they had to find their 4 checked bags and get them off the plane. Ugh. Some people. If you're sick, don't get on the plane in the first place!

Finally landed in Toronto and luckily customs was a breeze. They asked me no questions. None! And my suitcase was one of the first ones off. I grabbed a hotel shuttle and met my dad. We stopped at Five Guys for dinner then headed home. Got held up a bit due to an accident on the highway but we made it home. I was so excited to see Erik.

Overall this was a fun trip. I wouldn't say I'd never go solo again, but it wouldn't be my first choice. I certainly wouldn't go solo if it wasn't a race weekend. I found it kind of weird walking around by myself. And I got bored in the room. Still, any Disney is better than no Disney mickey

Kristen K.'s picture

Spook wrote:
Feb 25

I ended up running my fastest half marathon ever! I finished in 2:14. I was so excited!

It was good to see you in the morning. I was so nervous. Becks and I were near the front of our corral too, that was really nice. I think it's absolutely worth the extra time hanging around waiting to be more towards the front of your group.

yay yay PR Half! yay yay Good job!

Spook's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
Spook wrote:
Feb 25

I ended up running my fastest half marathon ever! I finished in 2:14. I was so excited!

It was good to see you in the morning. I was so nervous. Becks and I were near the front of our corral too, that was really nice. I think it's absolutely worth the extra time hanging around waiting to be more towards the front of your group.

yay yay PR Half! yay yay Good job!

Yeah it makes it feel less crowded on the course when you start at the front of the corral awesome
And you did amazing on your run!

danijrod's picture

Really enjoyed reading your trip report thank you for sharing! Congratulations on finishing the half in your fastest time clapping

I am in awe of everyone who does the races they look amazing!

Spook's picture

danijrod wrote:
Really enjoyed reading your trip report thank you for sharing! Congratulations on finishing the half in your fastest time clapping

I am in awe of everyone who does the races they look amazing!

Thank you mickey