Vacation Time!!!

Login to post comments
29 posts / 0 new
Mandy's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/18/2013
Posts: 2318
Vacation Time!!!

Now that I got full time. I can now take a vacation next year. Hopefully I'll get enough vacation days take a long one. I'm thinking about taking a Universal vacation because I thought it would be nice to get away from WDW for a couple days. I'm looking at Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort. yay

Allie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/26/2012
Posts: 5370

Great! Sounds fun! Do you know what time of year you're looking at?

Mandy's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/18/2013
Posts: 2318

I'm looking at next May but if I don't have a lot of vacation time yet, then I'll push it back to later in the year.

Mandy's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/18/2013
Posts: 2318

I'm really new to vacation planning with Universal. It is possible to book dining plan with the room only right? Online booking won't let me look at add-ons for the room only. Help!!!

KrystalT's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/16/2013
Posts: 80

I believe the dining plan for Universal must be booked with a package room and tickets through Universal you should check out www.orlandoinformer.com they have so much info on the Universal Orlando Resorts!

__________________

Coronado Springs 2000
Art of Animation-Cars 2013
PORS AND POFQ 2014
PORS 2015

Mandy's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/18/2013
Posts: 2318

okay thanks.

Eeyore's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/22/2012
Posts: 1120

Congrats! Did your role at Disney change too or you are now just FT? Either way, great for you!

Mandy's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/18/2013
Posts: 2318

Yea I took a FT role with Mousekeeping. Thanks!

JoAnn C's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/20/2011
Posts: 6530

Mandy wrote:
Yea I took a FT role with Mousekeeping. Thanks!

congratulations. Where are you working?

__________________

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

Mandy's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/18/2013
Posts: 2318

Pop

JoAnn C's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/20/2011
Posts: 6530

Mandy wrote:
Pop

Cool. I'll see you there in November.

__________________

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

JanJ's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/14/2013
Posts: 1645

Congrats Mandy! We were hoping to see you at HS next week, but I guess we'll have to take a side trip to Pop to see you now.

JoAnn C's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/20/2011
Posts: 6530

DFB posted information on the Universal dining plan today.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2013/08/28/universal-orlando-theme-parks-dining-plan-announced/

__________________

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

Magic Days's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/02/2012
Posts: 601

Congrats we will see you soon.

__________________

Mandy's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/18/2013
Posts: 2318

JanJ wrote:
Congrats Mandy! We were hoping to see you at HS next week, but I guess we'll have to take a side trip to Pop to see you now.

I don't transfer until Sept 8. But I will also be at Epcot and MK next week along with HS.

Mandy's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/18/2013
Posts: 2318

Thanks. I was really lucky to find it because most cms wait a few months as PT before getting FT.

JanJ's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/14/2013
Posts: 1645

Mandy wrote:
JanJ wrote:
Congrats Mandy! We were hoping to see you at HS next week, but I guess we'll have to take a side trip to Pop to see you now.

I don't transfer until Sept 8. But I will also be at Epcot and MK next week along with HS.

Cool! Maybe we'll bump into you. What days are you in which parks?

JMUDukz's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2012
Posts: 822

Mandy wrote:
Thanks. I was really lucky to find it because most cms wait a few months as PT before getting FT.

Two questions:

1) I hope you don't think I'm being nosy, but do CMs tend to work two jobs (Disney and maybe one outside of Disney) while waiting to go FT? Just curious.

2) I see you have added a ToT 10 Miler ticker - are you running??

__________________

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

Mandy's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/18/2013
Posts: 2318

JMUDukz wrote:
Mandy wrote:
Thanks. I was really lucky to find it because most cms wait a few months as PT before getting FT.

Two questions:

1) I hope you don't think I'm being nosy, but do CMs tend to work two jobs (Disney and maybe one outside of Disney) while waiting to go FT? Just curious.

2) I see you have added a ToT 10 Miler ticker - are you running??

1. Sometimes they do. Depends on what they want.
2. Yes I am.

Mandy's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/18/2013
Posts: 2318

JanJ wrote:
Mandy wrote:
JanJ wrote:
Congrats Mandy! We were hoping to see you at HS next week, but I guess we'll have to take a side trip to Pop to see you now.

I don't transfer until Sept 8. But I will also be at Epcot and MK next week along with HS.

Cool! Maybe we'll bump into you. What days are you in which parks?

This coming Monday Epcot, Thursday Mk for three hours on Main Street and then Sunday, Friday and Saturday HS.

JMUDukz's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2012
Posts: 822

Mandy wrote:
JMUDukz wrote:
Mandy wrote:
Thanks. I was really lucky to find it because most cms wait a few months as PT before getting FT.

Two questions:

1) I hope you don't think I'm being nosy, but do CMs tend to work two jobs (Disney and maybe one outside of Disney) while waiting to go FT? Just curious.

2) I see you have added a ToT 10 Miler ticker - are you running??

1. Sometimes they do. Depends on what they want.
2. Yes I am.

Woohoo!! We'll have to try to meet up at the after party!!

__________________

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

Mandy's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/18/2013
Posts: 2318

JMUDukz wrote:
Mandy wrote:
JMUDukz wrote:
Mandy wrote:
Thanks. I was really lucky to find it because most cms wait a few months as PT before getting FT.

Two questions:

1) I hope you don't think I'm being nosy, but do CMs tend to work two jobs (Disney and maybe one outside of Disney) while waiting to go FT? Just curious.

2) I see you have added a ToT 10 Miler ticker - are you running??

1. Sometimes they do. Depends on what they want.
2. Yes I am.

Woohoo!! We'll have to try to meet up at the after party!!

Okay!

Mandy's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/18/2013
Posts: 2318

Has anyone use the Mandara Spa at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando(r)? I want to get one or two spa treatments while on vacation. I got a massage and mani-pedi like last year or the year before at one of the Disney spas and it was awesome. The mani-pedi was a bit rushed because we were running late to the spa and dinner was soon.

Nancy D's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/29/2012
Posts: 754

We stayed at the Loews Royal Pacific, Mandy, and it was WONDERFUL. I would have trusted them to do a good job with ANYTHING I asked of them there. I would expect Portofino to be the same way! Outstanding service!!

Best of luck with the trip planning and congrats on the new FT job!! Woo Hoo!! Smile

Mandy's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/18/2013
Posts: 2318

Thanks Nancy! I figured I would stay at the lowest priced hotel and hopefully get a meal deal. Then just book the spa treatments. I'm not sure if I want to get an AP before my vacation or not. I'm completely clueless when it comes to universal.

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 21702

Mandy wrote:
Has anyone use the Mandara Spa at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando(r)?

I have not been to this spa however Mandara is a very reputable name in the spa industry - they operate the Spa at Swan/Dolphin and also at the Grand Californian. I wouldn't think twice about using one of their facilities.

Let us know how it goes!

Mandy's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/18/2013
Posts: 2318

Okay. I will if it happens.

Hurlymcgurly's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/23/2012
Posts: 82

Hi Mandy! I just booked into the Royal Pacific. Had stayed there once before and it was outstanding. Looked at the Cabana Bay resort per my travel agent who was just down there and got kind of a sneak peek on what is happening in its development. She said it looks like it's going to be really nice and it would save us money, BUT in fact, I don't think we would really be saving and in all actuality, would be losing and this is why.
When you book into the Royal Pacific, the Portofino or the Hard Rock, you automatically get the resort fast pass. This is not like the fast pass you pay for in the park as those have a limit to how many times you can ride the big rides. Only once or twice I believe. But when you stay at one of those 3 resorts, you get an unlimited fast pass that includes all but a couple rides. They are free with the room and are worth about $89 per person (that is $445 difference for our family of 5 per day!) which if you would add that cost onto the room price at the Cabana Bay which is a cheaper resort, it actually becomes more expensive if you purchase a normal, controlled fast pass.
The fast pass was invaluable to us and saved us from waiting for sometimes hours in line. We enjoyed our park days so much more. Because of the fast pass alone, I would never stay off site. I believe of the 3, the Royal Pacific is the cheapest, but it is definitely not reflected as such. It is a stunning property. Smile
As for meal deals, from the research I have been doing, there are 2 options right now. For $24.99 on a 1 park pass or $29.99 on a hopper pass you can get the all you can eat. There are 3 different fast foody type counter service places per park that you can eat at. You can eat all you want. You can get one meal, one drink and one dessert each time you get food. You can go right back and get in line again and get another meal if you want for as many times as you want, but they say no sharing and only 1 meal per time you are in line. Anyone can buy this at any time at either park.
The other is a brand new service they are trying which includes a lot more counter service places, some of the food carts and table service restaurants. I'm not sure of the cost, but I know it has to be purchased in advance and is given to you on check in. This one just started up this summer and from reading reviews, there are a lot of problems and bugs to work out with it and the cast members were given a crash course on it so there is a lot of confusion on how to actually do it. I would keep an eye on that one and only add it to your reservation later if it looks like it's getting the kinks out. When they do though, it will probably be a nice option.
Sorry, can't help you with the spa treatment thing, but enjoy!!! biggrin

Mandy's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/18/2013
Posts: 2318

Thanks. I was looking into the cheaper one. I would stay on property because I want a good experience at Universal.