What First Time Tip Did You Listen to and You're Glad you Did?

Login to post comments
21 posts / 0 new
Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246
What First Time Tip Did You Listen to and You're Glad you Did?

Everyone has opinions but I thought it would be helpful to get really valuable First Time Trip Tips in One thread, and maybe call it that. What is the one tip that you got as a first timer that you are so glad someone gave you? It can be anything, from planning meals, to timing, to resting, to can't misses, etc.

Mine is: DON'T overplan! There is no way you can do it all. Pick two major events if you're scheduling "extra curriculars" (like tours, or special dining events) and stick to that. You dilute the experience to do more, and run yourself ragged trying to get to everything.

What are you glad that someone told you...and you listened?

__________________

Offline
Joined: 02/16/2012
Posts: 44

I think the one that helped us the most was to schedule nap time, even if you're all adults!
On our honeymoon, we went back to our resort every afternoon and took a shower (it was August, so we needed it!) and just vegged out or napped for an hour or two before making our evening ADRs. We felt so great and were never dragging by the end of the night for the fireworks or late-night touring.
Our second trip, we thought we could get away with out it - it was June, so less hot, and we didn't feel so bad after lunch so we would push it. And man, was that a mistake - especially waiting for the buses at night after Wishes...

Also, the whole comfy shoes thing - I had brought a pair of sport sandals that I wore every day, all day and were fine at home - I guess the miles and miles on concrete were different, and my feet were killing me. My poor feet got so swollen, I had to buy a pair of flip flops because the straps on the other shoes wouldn't fit any more.... Ugh!

__________________

August '09 - Honeymoon at POFQ
June '11 - Coronado Springs
Jan '13 - POFQ
August '14 - 5 Year Anniversary at YC
Sept '17 - POR

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker Free Disney Tickers

Kris1971's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/10/2011
Posts: 2350

Believe it or not, I had never heard of the Dole Whip before I logged into the forum...Now its a must have on every trip!

__________________

Offline
Joined: 11/16/2011
Posts: 416

Not trying to do everything your first trip. Knowing that let us have a relaxed and wonderful vacation and seeing stuff we didn't get to experience made my husband say he wanted to go again. yay Of course there is still stuff we have not seen or done yet so he continues to want to go back yay 77 days to go!

__________________

Sammy Bizzle's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/23/2012
Posts: 241

Big smile The one thing I was told (even though I didnt want to believe it to be true) is you cant do everything! It is impossible to do everything that Disney has to offer... Im sure people who work there havent done everything!

It leaves you wanting to come back more and more though wink

__________________

That's Mr. Evil Dr. Porkchop To You!

Chuckers's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/17/2012
Posts: 47

You don't have to watch the parades standing on Main Street. There's usually more room and better viewing in Liberty Square to the end of the route.

__________________

DIStickers.com Ticker

Offline
Joined: 08/20/2011
Posts: 397

ride the rides during the fireworks!!! We did and no lines.

JoAnn C's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/20/2011
Posts: 6543

Watch the second parade during MVMCP. I was able to see some of the shows and ride some rides during the first parade with not a lot of crowds.

__________________

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

Offline
Joined: 09/12/2010
Posts: 4677

Mine was GET THE PARK HOPPER PASSES!

I don't like being committed to one thing (excepting Joe Tongue) and I was so glad to have that flexibility. I would not have thought about it the first time I went.

Mase's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2011
Posts: 5438

Kris1971 wrote:
Believe it or not, I had never heard of the Dole Whip before I logged into the forum...Now its a must have on every trip!

awesome

One of the coolest treats!

Mine came from one of those books. They always said if there are two paths... go to the left. When in a park... go left. On a ride and splits... go left. Why? Because I guess most people in the world are right handed, and because of that, so is their mentality. So without knowing... everyone goes right out of instinct (Thats why if you notice when you visit the Magic Kingdom.... the bridge to enter Tomorrow Land is twice as big as the Adventure Land). Try it next time.... seriously... its the one little tip I STILL use today if its available.

__________________

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

Offline
Joined: 02/12/2012
Posts: 271

Mase wrote:
Kris1971 wrote:
Believe it or not, I had never heard of the Dole Whip before I logged into the forum...Now its a must have on every trip!

awesome

One of the coolest treats!

Mine came from one of those books. They always said if there are two paths... go to the left. When in a park... go left. On a ride and splits... go left. Why? Because I guess most people in the world are right handed, and because of that, so is their mentality. So without knowing... everyone goes right out of instinct (Thats why if you notice when you visit the Magic Kingdom.... the bridge to enter Tomorrow Land is twice as big as the Adventure Land). Try it next time.... seriously... its the one little tip I STILL use today if its available.

I was about to say the exact same thing! It wasn't a tip we picked up until 2 or 3 trips ago but it's been invaluable ever since! So obvious too once you know it!

Probably one of the first tips we ever picked up and and stuck with to this day was to take our own water bottles (like the ones you'd use for the gym/running etc) and fill from the fountains during the day. It's saved us a fortune over the years!

__________________

[url='http://salocainwonderland.blogspot.com']Saloca in Wonderland[/url] <--- blog!

Bella's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/11/2010
Posts: 3886

Mine wasn't exactly on my first trip..but Dave and I went on a trip and the second we got home I joined a forum a learned a lot! The net time we went I learned about the magic of Disney Table Service. I did even know you could eat at sit down restaurants. I had no idea they exsisted! The next trip I had 3 reservations and I was ready to go...it was the bet trip ever!

__________________

mickey Bella


Melissa W's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/28/2011
Posts: 560

Mase wrote:
Kris1971 wrote:
Believe it or not, I had never heard of the Dole Whip before I logged into the forum...Now its a must have on every trip!

awesome

One of the coolest treats!

Mine came from one of those books. They always said if there are two paths... go to the left. When in a park... go left. On a ride and splits... go left. Why? Because I guess most people in the world are right handed, and because of that, so is their mentality. So without knowing... everyone goes right out of instinct (Thats why if you notice when you visit the Magic Kingdom.... the bridge to enter Tomorrow Land is twice as big as the Adventure Land). Try it next time.... seriously... its the one little tip I STILL use today if its available.

this is what I was going to share! We now go left at every park we visit except Magic Kingdom. Since we have a toddler and want to get to Fantasyland right away, we head straight as fast as we can!!

senseicj's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2010
Posts: 807

this is a good one i have so many suggestions for different things depending on who is going, where they are staying, what the budget is, wow there are so many things i have learned the hard way as i am sure so many of you have. i would be happy to share any of them if anybody has any specific details there is just too much to think of off the top of my head

__________________

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
--Walt Disney--

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

Mase's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2011
Posts: 5438

Melissa W wrote:
Mase wrote:
Kris1971 wrote:
Believe it or not, I had never heard of the Dole Whip before I logged into the forum...Now its a must have on every trip!

awesome

One of the coolest treats!

Mine came from one of those books. They always said if there are two paths... go to the left. When in a park... go left. On a ride and splits... go left. Why? Because I guess most people in the world are right handed, and because of that, so is their mentality. So without knowing... everyone goes right out of instinct (Thats why if you notice when you visit the Magic Kingdom.... the bridge to enter Tomorrow Land is twice as big as the Adventure Land). Try it next time.... seriously... its the one little tip I STILL use today if its available.

this is what I was going to share! We now go left at every park we visit except Magic Kingdom. Since we have a toddler and want to get to Fantasyland right away, we head straight as fast as we can!!

Which side do you start at? Small World or closer to the bumper cars? If you say Small World... your still going to the left... he he he crossfingers biggrin

__________________

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

Mom2MandJ's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/19/2012
Posts: 7

If at all possible, wear cargo shorts/pants (or anything with lots of pockets). Take a small folding backpack (folded, of course) in one of the pockets. I put my tickets, ID, credit cards in one pocket, my phone in another, and take only the electronic key to my car. That way I can go thru the guest w/o bags line. Once I'm inside, I can take the backpack out and put everything in it. A collapsible water bottle would be nice, but for now I make do with water fountains (and Dole Whip.) yay

__________________

Ana the Librarian
Mom to Mori & Jora
http://mom2mandj.blogspot.com/
I can see the MK fireworks from my bedroom.

Melissa W's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/28/2011
Posts: 560

Mase wrote:
Melissa W wrote:
Mase wrote:
Kris1971 wrote:
Believe it or not, I had never heard of the Dole Whip before I logged into the forum...Now its a must have on every trip!

awesome

One of the coolest treats!

Mine came from one of those books. They always said if there are two paths... go to the left. When in a park... go left. On a ride and splits... go left. Why? Because I guess most people in the world are right handed, and because of that, so is their mentality. So without knowing... everyone goes right out of instinct (Thats why if you notice when you visit the Magic Kingdom.... the bridge to enter Tomorrow Land is twice as big as the Adventure Land). Try it next time.... seriously... its the one little tip I STILL use today if its available.

this is what I was going to share! We now go left at every park we visit except Magic Kingdom. Since we have a toddler and want to get to Fantasyland right away, we head straight as fast as we can!!

Which side do you start at? Small World or closer to the bumper cars? If you say Small World... your still going to the left... he he he crossfingers biggrin

Haha, we always go to Dumbo right away! Wink

Mase's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2011
Posts: 5438

Melissa W wrote:
Mase wrote:
Melissa W wrote:
Mase wrote:
Kris1971 wrote:
Believe it or not, I had never heard of the Dole Whip before I logged into the forum...Now its a must have on every trip!

awesome

One of the coolest treats!

Mine came from one of those books. They always said if there are two paths... go to the left. When in a park... go left. On a ride and splits... go left. Why? Because I guess most people in the world are right handed, and because of that, so is their mentality. So without knowing... everyone goes right out of instinct (Thats why if you notice when you visit the Magic Kingdom.... the bridge to enter Tomorrow Land is twice as big as the Adventure Land). Try it next time.... seriously... its the one little tip I STILL use today if its available.

this is what I was going to share! We now go left at every park we visit except Magic Kingdom. Since we have a toddler and want to get to Fantasyland right away, we head straight as fast as we can!!

Which side do you start at? Small World or closer to the bumper cars? If you say Small World... your still going to the left... he he he crossfingers biggrin

Haha, we always go to Dumbo right away! Wink

lol awesome

__________________

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

Manda's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/05/2012
Posts: 71

Fastpasses, fastpasses, fastpasses. Use them! They really do save a lot of time. When we go into a park we have specific rides we head right to to grab one and go ahead and ride if the line is reasonable that early. These are the fastpasses we grab in the parks each morning.

MK = Space Mountain (go ahead and ride or head to Peter Pan, Big Thunder Mt) Epcot = Soaring (go ahead and ride) AK = Expedition Everest (go ahead and ride or head to Safari, Dinosaur) HS = Toy Story Mania (head to Rockin' Roller coaster, Tower of Terror)

__________________

Offline
Joined: 06/17/2012
Posts: 4

COMFORTABLE SHOES ARE A MUST
Arrive early
Have a plan
Rest when tired
Park hopper passes

Offline
Joined: 06/20/2012
Posts: 13

RIMouse nailed it. The only thing I would add, especially when travelling with children, "A chain is only as good as its weakest link". In other words travels at your childrens pace. Schedule rest time/ nap time everyday. If the kids are young, don't stay at the parks too late. When our kids were young we would always arrive early (30 minutes before the park opens. We would always have a plan. The plan would usually consist of maybe 6 or seven things to accomplish that day. Head back to our hotel around 1:00 for lunch/ naps/ swimming. 3 o'clock or so head back to the parks to about 6 PM and call it a day. Everyone stayed rested and happy. Nothing is worse than screaming kids because they are tired and mom and dad just keep dragging them along. If we missed something the answer was "there will always be another trip and we now have a reason to come back."