When do you start packing?

Login to post comments
35 posts / 0 new
Brad's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/05/2008
Posts: 4357
When do you start packing?

In another thread I was asking Joe about his packing practices, but I was curious about the rest of you -- How far in advance to you start packing and finish packing? We barely ever start until the day before and we usually finish in the wee hours of the morning. This is even worse because we typically have a really early flight and thus get ourselves off to a sleep-deprived start. How about you?

dsoup's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/11/2008
Posts: 2884

I find it never maters when I start packing, I always finish about 1 second before I leave the house (which is usually 20 minutes after I planned to leave)

LeCellierBuff1963's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/30/2008
Posts: 529

I start packing the day before, and finish the morning I leave.

Jim

caitiesus's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/11/2009
Posts: 682

I start a day or two before and finish that morning...but I make a list a week before!

bali's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3444

I always THINK a lot about packing for the month before I leave...then I run around like a chicken with my head cut off the night before and get NO sleep! Wink

__________________


May 2008 CSR mickey

LifeIsForLiving's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2009
Posts: 1596

I most always pack the night before when I should be sleeping (as mentioned above, in the wee hours of the morning). I don't intentionally put it off, it just works out that way...every single time.

Annie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 1610

I always pack the day before the trip. If I start any sooner, I go out and buy things that I "need."

Imagineer's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/05/2008
Posts: 521

I make a list about a month before, and then when I get to packing, I scratch things off the list as I place them in the bag. This system really helps me not to forget anything. I start the list a month early, and that gives me time to remember things that I may have forgotten to put on the list. So the list is a work in progress, really.

None of this means that I start my packing early though. I pack the day before, though usually at a normal hour and not into the night.

I'd love to start packing earlier, but I find I need some of my things, even clothes, the week of the trip. So I can't have them in a suitcase till the day before.

__________________

mickey Upcoming Trips mickey

July 2010 - Old Key West

Oct 2010 - Boardwalk Villas

bali's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3444

Imagineer wrote:


I'd love to start packing earlier, but I find I need some of my things, even clothes, the week of the trip. So I can't have them in a suitcase till the day before.

That's the biggest problem: I have to use stuff, so I can't just put it in the suitcase.

Has anyone used Owner's Locker? It seems to be a big hit among DVC members.

__________________


May 2008 CSR mickey

SoloFriendly's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/18/2008
Posts: 556

Years ago, when I first started traveling regularly, I'd get so excited for my trips, I'd start packing a week or more in advance. But then I found that I'd usually have to unpack everything the day before to reorganize things (you know, add heavy items to the bottom, etc.), so now I just wait until the day before.

__________________

Gray
SoloFriendly.com

SpaceAce's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2008
Posts: 2532

SoloFriendly wrote:
Years ago, when I first started traveling regularly, I'd get so excited for my trips, I'd start packing a week or more in advance. But then I found that I'd usually have to unpack everything the day before to reorganize things (you know, add heavy items to the bottom, etc.), so now I just wait until the day before.

Heavy items on the bottom. Novel. silly

We're pretty haphazard with the packing in our house. It all depends on whether we're taking two suitcases or one. If one: easy breezy -- we just throw a bunch of stuff in and go. If two: we always overpack and end up having to cut out a bunch of stuff the day before.

__________________

[url=http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/'http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

2010 Beach Club Resort
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2009 CBR/Polynesian

Imagineer's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/05/2008
Posts: 521

bali wrote:

Has anyone used Owner's Locker? It seems to be a big hit among DVC members.



It is good for some DVC members, but it doesn't make sense for us. There is nothing that we need on every trip that is too big/expensive/etc., that we can't transport it back and forth each time.

I somehow can't justify spending the money on an Owner's Locker just to store some coffee filters and english muffins. laugh

I'd say it'd be worth it for those owners who have bikes or water toys or things like that.

__________________

mickey Upcoming Trips mickey

July 2010 - Old Key West

Oct 2010 - Boardwalk Villas

Vettelover's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2009
Posts: 4656

Imagineer wrote:
bali wrote:

Has anyone used Owner's Locker? It seems to be a big hit among DVC members.

It is good for some DVC members, but it doesn't make sense for us. There is nothing that we need on every trip that is too big/expensive/etc., that we can't transport it back and forth each time.

I somehow can't justify spending the money on an Owner's Locker just to store some coffee filters and english muffins. laugh

I'd say it'd be worth it for those owners who have bikes or water toys or things like that.


Imagineer, would those english muffins be the of the green fuzzy variety eek
also those bikes must REALLY fold up into a tiny space to fit into those Owner's Lockers biggrin Those lockers must be larger than I imagined. We thought about it but decided against it for exactly the reasons you stated.

__________________

Brad's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/05/2008
Posts: 4357

I'd seriously consider just leaving a batch of clothes and toiletries there so I could essentially travel without a suitcase.

LifeIsForLiving's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2009
Posts: 1596

I looked at their website, but it's just not worth it to me. Would be handy if you're in the area more than a couple times a year AND have some larger items you want to store.

admin's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/14/2010
Posts: 2733

Vettelover wrote:

Imagineer, would those english muffins be the of the green fuzzy variety eek

yuck I wonder if people actually DO leave food in their lockers! I know some folks who leave alcohol, which I think is smart. If you like a nightcap, it doesn't make sense to keep going out and buying new liquor each trip.

Imagineer's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/05/2008
Posts: 521

Disney grocery prices may make me think about eating months old English Muffins!

Really, the groceries at the merchandise shops at the DVC level resorts aren't all that bad. But we do transport certain non-perishable things, like coffee and coffee filters.

I really like Brad's idea of keeping clothes and toiletries. Anything that can minimize packing is an idea worth looking into.

And Admin's idea is a good one too. Bringing your own liquor will always be a moneysaver at WDW.

__________________

mickey Upcoming Trips mickey

July 2010 - Old Key West

Oct 2010 - Boardwalk Villas

Annie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 1610

Imagineer wrote:


I really like Brad's idea of keeping clothes and toiletries. Anything that can minimize packing is an idea worth looking into.

We often realize that the only time we wear certain clothing items is in WDW (bathing suits, shorts, t-shirts, etc.), so we've often thought it'd be great to just leave 'em all there. silly

dsoup's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/11/2008
Posts: 2884

It would be no good though if you happened to need that stuff and it was in a purple box in Orlando. I've not used my swimsuit anywhere else for quite a while, but if I was traveling and needed it, I would be really irritated if I couldn't get to it.

bali's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3444

dsoup wrote:
It would be no good though if you happened to need that stuff and it was in a purple box in Orlando. I've not used my swimsuit anywhere else for quite a while, but if I was traveling and needed it, I would be really irritated if I couldn't get to it.

This is true. Then again, you could have two swimsuits, I imagine -- one for the purple box and one for home.

DVC, AP, and the purple box: conspiring to make me go to Disney World more and more!

__________________


May 2008 CSR mickey

LifeIsForLiving's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2009
Posts: 1596

My wife has already started packing. Seems way premature to me, but we're leaving FRIDAY yay clapping clapping yay

Will make it easier, I must admit, not having to worry about getting packed at the last minute.

SoloFriendly's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/18/2008
Posts: 556

Brad wrote:
I'd seriously consider just leaving a batch of clothes and toiletries there so I could essentially travel without a suitcase.

That's a pretty brilliant idea, actually.

__________________

Gray
SoloFriendly.com

cdub's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3220

LifeIsForLiving wrote:
My wife has already started packing. Seems way premature to me, but we're leaving FRIDAY yay clapping clapping yay

Will make it easier, I must admit, not having to worry about getting packed at the last minute.

Woah, that sneaked up on me. I suspect you guys will be too busy to check in while you're there. Can't wait to hear how it goes. I'm sure you'll have a great time!

LifeIsForLiving's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2009
Posts: 1596

Yeah, we're not bringing a computer and won't have time to update during the trip. May post a tiny bit from the crackberry, but no guarantees.

Annie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 1610

LifeIsForLiving wrote:
Yeah, we're not bringing a computer and won't have time to update during the trip. May post a tiny bit from the crackberry, but no guarantees.

Wow! I can't believe you leave on Friday! Take notes while you're there -- I can't wait to see how your wife reacts to the pins and halloween costumes!

LifeIsForLiving's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2009
Posts: 1596

Me too! I'm so excited.

I'm trying to think of the best way to keep notes for you guys. I don't want to bring a laptop, so I wonder if taking voice notes via crackberry would be easiest...hmm...

...that is notes at the end of each day. Not walking around the park, dictating every move; although that would be hilarious.

SpaceAce's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2008
Posts: 2532

LifeIsForLiving wrote:

...that is notes at the end of each day. Not walking around the park, dictating every move; although that would be hilarious.

Something tells me you wouldn't be the first silly

Let me just say safe travels, enjoy your well-deserved vacation, and I'm looking forward to hearing highlights when you return. I've really enjoyed your posts on the boards, LIFL mickey

__________________

[url=http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/'http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

2010 Beach Club Resort
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2009 CBR/Polynesian

LifeIsForLiving's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2009
Posts: 1596

Thank you. Just planned another little suprise. Wizard of Oz on the big screen in high def (as mentioned in the classics thread)!

admin's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/14/2010
Posts: 2733

Have a great time, LIFL!!

Vettelover's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2009
Posts: 4656

LIFL Have a great time and a safe trip, and please don't think of us back here at home waiting to get reports on all your activities at the World waiting We will survive till you get back.(maybe) laugh laugh Have fun !!!

__________________

LifeIsForLiving's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2009
Posts: 1596

Thank you all for your kind words and well wishes. Leaving for Baltimore this afternoon.