Best Vacation Ever...Trip report 2014...

Login to post comments
146 posts / 0 new
JMed's picture

loving the TR!!! yay

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

93boomer's picture

Ooo suspense!! Can't wait!! cool

jw24's picture

Keep it coming!

"All my life I wonder how it feels to pass a day, not above them but part of them.

And out there living in the sun, give me one day out there, all I ask is one to hold forever. Out there where they all live unaware, what I'd give, what I'd dare, just to live one day out there."

The Watchmaker's picture

And now, the end is near....Sob..Sob..Its day 12 so Olaf made his last early wake up call for 06.00am and after breakfast on our balcony it was off to MK for 8.00am rope drop..We said goodbye to Mickey & Minnie and done our passes..We returned to our room around 1.00pm and there was our ore ordered birthday cake for our son..Silver cutlery,napkins,and all..He was stunned and the cake was delish..We had a light lunch at RF later on and our usual dip in the pool..That night we had our third signature experience at Jiko..Our ADR was for 8.00pm and we got there in plenty of time...We started with A taste of Africa which we shared,and my wife had the Beef Short Ribs and gave it 10/10...My son and I both had the Fillet Mignon..Wow..I mentioned to our server that four years ago the Mac & cheese was their signature dish,and he said it was still available but this new fillet with its accompanying sauce was awesome...I should say my son had the Angus Kenyan peppered steak,but there wasn't a thing left on his plate..We took several photos but for some reason they are way too dark and didn't show the dishes well enough to post...We also had a bottle of Raats South African wine and cokes for my son..Total bill including a 20% tip was $238.00... Out of our three signature restaurants this was our number one..The photo is me with my tropical shirt and a glass of vino....Time for bed after this meal as we couldn't move..This was our last night but managed to keep the room on until 1.00pm..So tomorrow was our final farewell to the MK and we ended up adopting a bear cub to take home..See photo of "Coda" in tomorrows review..P.S..I've added a photo of my sons cake..

PreviewAttachmentSize
image.jpg
image.jpg774.53 KB
image.jpg
image.jpg742.38 KB
amy1989's picture

I have so enjoyed your TR watchmaker!!! its been a great read planning for next year?!

The Watchmaker's picture

amy1989 wrote:
I have so enjoyed your TR watchmaker!!! its been a great read planning for next year?!

Next year.. eek Your so lucky...I was looking at WDW holidays last week and AKL had free dining..This week it's gone..Had to be booked by November 4th...Anyway God willing its 2016 for us..What resort will depend on the offers,but after staying at a deluxe,it's gonna be hard to go back to a moderate... sad

amy1989's picture

The Watchmaker wrote:
amy1989 wrote:

Next year.. eek Your so lucky...I was looking at WDW holidays last week and AKL had free dining..This week it's gone..Had to be booked by November 4th...Anyway God willing its 2016 for us..What resort will depend on the offers,but after staying at a deluxe,it's gonna be hard to go back to a moderate... sad

but virgin will have their sale shortly and then I'm sure there will be money off room only........... its too tempting to wait until 2016 haha (this is what I do to my mam each year!!!)

The Watchmaker's picture

amy1989 wrote:
The Watchmaker wrote:
amy1989 wrote:

but virgin will have their sale shortly and then I'm sure there will be money off room only........... its too tempting to wait until 2016 haha (this is what I do to my mam each year!!!)

Cheers Amy...We have quite a bit of house repairs next year..Roof and new pvc gutters to match our new extension, and I reckon that will cost around PS5000..I like the two yearly trip..Its kinda traditional since our first visit in 2004..

The Watchmaker's picture

New Avatar is me and Stitch..I'am on the left by the way.. laugh

Brinbunny's picture

Great report Watchmaker - and it feels odd to know you were there at the same time as me, not found any photo bombs though silly

Glad you had a fab trip and I have loved your report.

93boomer's picture

Now I'm hungry!!! That cake looks awesome. Glad he had a great birthday! Thanks for sharing how much you spent at meals! That helps a lot to know what we should expect to pay! awesome Great job watchmaker!!

alicemouse's picture

The Watchmaker wrote:
New Avatar is me and Stitch..I'am on the left by the way.. laugh

rolling

Love it! Thanks for sharing your trip with us! I've so enjoyed your enthusiasm leading up to your trip and I'm so glad that you had a wonderful time muchlove

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

The Watchmaker's picture

Thanks everyone..Not a great person at doing TR but glad you enjoyed my dribble.. awesome

Belinda's picture

Wonderful report! awesome

** BeLiNdA **

MrHub's picture

Well done!

disneydoc's picture

Loved it watchmaker! muchlove

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker DIStickers.com Ticker

Spook's picture

Great report! Glad you had a great trip mickey

AnnielovesDisney's picture

So happy that you and your family had the magical vacation you really wanted!

jw24's picture

That's a nice cake. Glad to hear you had a good time at Jiko. Jiko was a borderline must do on my bucket list but now, I think I have to add that to the bucket list! I mean, if my ultimate dream is to stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, I'd be a fool not to dine there!

"All my life I wonder how it feels to pass a day, not above them but part of them.

And out there living in the sun, give me one day out there, all I ask is one to hold forever. Out there where they all live unaware, what I'd give, what I'd dare, just to live one day out there."

Magic Mirror's picture

Great job..I enjoyed reading your report! awesome

The Watchmaker's picture

All good things must come to an end..There it was in the morning..My bill hanging on my door handle..I had noted down each day what we had spent in my Passporter's book, so I roughly knew what the final bill would be..$2.794.45. eek .I did not give a hoot..We had a awesome time..That morning after breakfast on our balcony, we headed off to MK and done our 3 fp+ passes that we had, then made that final walk down Main Street USA..I stopped at the bottom, looked back at the castle,and yes, a tear was shed..This indeed was our most magical trip to WDW..They were so many happy moments I could write a book about them..Was there any down things.?..Well I knew about the Silver Creek pool construction at WL which didn't bother us at all, and there was park construction which again didn't spoil anything, or the odd ride malfunction...So to sum it up..This was going to be our final farewell trip..I feel so fortunate that we have had six magical vacations in the most magical place on earth..Will it indeed be our last.?..I hope not..However it's gonna be hard to beat...Oh and my final photos are " Coda " our Bear we just had to purchase at the Merchantile shop at WL and my good lady waiting for our DME to take us to the airport..To quote from an old Rick Derringer song.." The airport giveth, the airport taketh away." eek

PreviewAttachmentSize
image.jpg
image.jpg198.09 KB
image.jpg
image.jpg778.45 KB
Mrferret's picture

Gald to hear you had a good one ... Here's to 2016 awesome

Howdy Y'all
https://www.facebook.com/matthew.tucker1
Caution Content May be inappropriate

May/June 2016 Magic cruise to Norway
2017 Prtugal wedding adventures
2018 Alskan disney cruise ??
2019 Florida

The Watchmaker's picture

Mrferret wrote:
Gald to hear you had a good one ... Here's to 2016 awesome

And here's to your one next year.. awesome

The Colonel's picture

I bought one of those Codas in the Canada Pavilion. They are irresistible.

Was that song from the All American Boy album? Wow, that was a long time ago.

Why do you think it will be your last trip?

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

The Watchmaker's picture

The Colonel wrote:

Spot on..I remember buying a solo album by my ( then ) guitar hero Mick Ronson entitled " Slaughter on 10th Avenue " ( David Bowies right hand man ) Anyway a friend that day in the same record shop bought " All American Boy " by Rick Derringer and he gave a loan of it to me..Loved it and bought many more of Ricks albums,Tho that one was a classic..I'd guess at 1973...Ok now to your question about my last trip..Last year my health wasn't doing great and I was about to be operated on and of course I'am thinking, here we go, it's the end of the line..Turns out the medication I was giving was agravating the problem and after a slow recovery,things began to look up..So here Iam " Still alive and well " ..( another derringer quote ) lol.

Mousedreaming's picture

I hate the end of vacation...and trip reports. I have been known to cry when I look at the castle, and realize it is the last time that trip I will be looking at it. Yep, that's me crying when I show up, and crying when it is time to go.

Anyway, glad it was a good one. Here is to 2016, my friend. And...I hope you left some Magic Cookie Bars for someone else to enjoy.

*Proud Disney Nut*

The Colonel's picture

The Watchmaker wrote:
The Colonel wrote:

Spot on..I remember buying a solo album by my ( then ) guitar hero Mick Ronson entitled " Slaughter on 10th Avenue " ( David Bowies right hand man ) Anyway a friend that day in the same record shop bought " All American Boy " by Rick Derringer and he gave a loan of it to me..Loved it and bought many more of Ricks albums,Tho that one was a classic..I'd guess at 1973...Ok now to your question about my last trip..Last year my health wasn't doing great and I was about to be operated on and of course I'am thinking, here we go, it's the end of the line..Turns out the medication I was giving was agravating the problem and after a slow recovery,things began to look up..So here Iam " Still alive and well " ..( another derringer quote ) lol.

Going way OT here: I met Rick Derringer at the old Fillmore East, it was called the Palladium at that time. He was very gracious to me (a stoned out star-struck kid). I loved him from his work with Johnny Winter (another hero of mine.)

Love Mick Ronson- with Bowie, Lou Reed, Morrissey. Didn't he do a stint with Mott the Hoople?

I'm glad your health is looking up.

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

oHIo's picture

The Watchmaker wrote:
All good things must come to an end..There it was in the morning..My bill hanging on my door handle..I had noted down each day what we had spent in my Passporter's book, so I roughly knew what the final bill would be..$2.794.45. eek .I did not give a hoot..We had a awesome time..That morning after breakfast on our balcony, we headed off to MK and done our 3 fp+ passes that we had, then made that final walk down Main Street USA..I stopped at the bottom, looked back at the castle,and yes, a tear was shed..This indeed was our most magical trip to WDW..They were so many happy moments I could write a book about them..Was there any down things.?..Well I knew about the Silver Creek pool construction at WL which didn't bother us at all, and there was park construction which again didn't spoil anything, or the odd ride malfunction...So to sum it up..This was going to be our final farewell trip..I feel so fortunate that we have had six magical vacations in the most magical place on earth..Will it indeed be our last.?..I hope not..However it's gonna be hard to beat...Oh and my final photos are " Coda " our Bear we just had to purchase at the Merchantile shop at WL and my good lady waiting for our DME to take us to the airport..To quote from an old Rick Derringer song.." The airport giveth, the airport taketh away." eek

Awww, your dear lady looks so sad to leave......... sad sad
Keep your chin up and start planning your next trip. It will give you something to look forward to. Let everybody know when your next trip will take place and we can plan a flash mob for WDWFG!!

bighug bighug yay yay clapping clapping

Yes he did Colonel

jw24's picture

Sadly, like a Disney vacation, a great TR must come to end. But I thoroughly enjoyed reading your experiences.