JoAnn's November 2012 Trip Report

Login to post comments
60 posts / 0 new
Mase's picture

disneydoc wrote:
awesome, thank you! I love travelling WDW solo. The only thing I have not ventured into much is table service dining...just done Teppan Edo. I think I am now inspired.

Teppan is a great one... and I think it would be perfect for a solo adventure. I always enjoyed it because you get to sit with other people. I know some hate that, but its fun to see where the other people are from. Almost wish Disney had more opportunities like that. Kinda like how I enjoy the bus ride as well. As long as people are friendly. Get to meet people from various areas of the world.

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

disneydoc's picture

agreed. Usually always seated with friendly folk. mickey I sit at CS restaurants alone and enjoy it totally...people watch, smile at the little ones...I am sure I would enjoy a TS too. Question for you TS vets...is there a minimum you have to order? I am really not a huge eater (although I can scarf down a cupcake when given the opportunity)...are you required to order a full meal, or can you eat apps, salads, etc?

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker DIStickers.com Ticker

MrHub's picture

disneydoc wrote:
agreed. Usually always seated with friendly folk. mickey I sit at CS restaurants alone and enjoy it totally...people watch, smile at the little ones...I am sure I would enjoy a TS too. Question for you TS vets...is there a minimum you have to order? I am really not a huge eater (although I can scarf down a cupcake when given the opportunity)...are you required to order a full meal, or can you eat apps, salads, etc?

No you can order as much or little as you want. Now if you have the Deluxe Dinnig Plan, I wouldnt think you would just order an app, but you can. Go to Kona some time and sit out at the sushi bar. You don't need reservations, it first come and you can order anything off the regular Kona menu also. Rumor is they are changing that and going to make the dessert bar inside the Sushi bar and Kona Island will just be the Coffe bar and to go station. I hope not though.

Kristen K.'s picture

mrhub wrote:
Rumor is they are changing that and going to make the dessert bar inside the Sushi bar and Kona Island will just be the Coffee bar and to go station. I hope not though.

Oh no! We had an amazing experience at Kona Island in October. The chef's were fantastic and even let me "create my own" veggie sushi that was amazing. I suppose that I could go to the inside counter, as long as they don't get rid of the amazing sushi. mickey

disneydoc's picture

This is good news! I have not done the dining plans, because I have trouble eating all the food. However, I may try it sometime just to get to visit some TS restaurants that I have not tried.... mickey

shgluck's picture

JoAnn C wrote:
Day 1
I got up earlier than planned for the day of my flight to clean off my car and allow for extra time driving to the airport. It was still snowing from the nor'easter that hit the day before. I arrived at the airport, checked my suitcase, went through security and put on my Minnie ears. While waiting to board my flight, I talked to a couple of ladies who were going down for the weekend to attend the New Fantasyland annual pass holder preview. The one lady had two confirmation numbers for the preview and was going to give me one but wasn't sure if one was valid. It was nice of her to offer. After what seemed like an eternity, we finally boarded the plane and took off. It was an uneventful flight. I tried to sleep but was too excited to. We arrived at MCO 20 minutes early, and I was soon on my way to Pop Century.

After check-in, I dropped my carry-on bag in my room and head to Art of Animation for lunch. My room was in the 60's section near the Generations Gap Bridge.

Would you recommend staying in the 60s?? I will be leaving sunday!

JoAnn C's picture

I recommend either 50's or 60's.

JoAnn C's picture

disneydoc wrote:
awesome, thank you! I love travelling WDW solo. The only thing I have not ventured into much is table service dining...just done Teppan Edo. I think I am now inspired.

I've done a few TS restaurants solo the last two trips. You should do try more.

Chef Mickeys - part of my disappointment in this restaurant was the service. I felt I wasn't important to my server since I was solo.
Tusker House (Breakfast) - I had an awesome waitress. She always made sure I had everything I needed. I prepare my tips before each trip. I took money out of what I prepared for Chef Mickeys (I didn't think he deserved the full amount). I added that money to my server here.
ESPN Club - I went there for lunch the day my friends flew in. I wanted to watch the Steelers game. I was seated in one of the recliners in front of the big screen.

Cape May Cafe
Hoop Dee Doo Revue
Cinderella's Royal Table
The next few I haven't gotten to on my trip report. So stay tuned for more details.
Yachtsman Steakhouse
Sanaa
1900 Park Fair

disneydoc's picture

JoAnn, I am guessing you do the DDP, or do you pay out of pocket?

JoAnn C's picture

disneydoc wrote:
JoAnn, I am guessing you do the DDP, or do you pay out of pocket?

I've done the deluxe dining plan the last two trips

shgluck's picture

JoAnn C wrote:
I recommend either 50's or 60's.

Thanks! I had my aunt call and request today (as she is my travel agent who booked for us)! Also requested a higher up room. I do not like being on ground level!

JoAnn C's picture

Day 5

After breakfast we went to Magic Kingdom and arrived just after rope drop but were able to catch the Main Street show.

Our first stop was New Fantasyland. It was while we were on our way to New Fantasyland that I spotted Barbara.

Once again, no dress rehearsal. So we walked down to Storybook Circus and rode The Barnstormer.

Of course, I had to get some character pictures.

Next stop was Tomorrowland. I rode Space Mountain. My friends didn't want to ride so I got in line was going to meet them in the gift shop. The wait time was posted as 20 minutes but seemed to take longer. When I got off the ride I had a message to meet them in Frontierland. We met up at Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch.

We all ordered the Pilgrim's Feast.

After lunch we got fast passes for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. While waiting for our fast pass time we went to Country Bear Jamboree.

After riding BTMRR, we had a Dole Whip and then headed back to Pop to lounge by the pool.

We relaxed by the pool for a while before it was time for me to get ready for dinner at the Yachtsman Steakhouse.

I took the bus to DHS and walked over to the boat dock.

The boat arrived and the captain was talking on his cell phone while tying up the boat. The people in line in front of me were joking that his wife called with the grocery list. While the passengers were walking off the boat, a CM arrived in a small boat followed by another with two more. A manager (at least I think he was a manager) from DHS came walking down the ramp. That's when I noticed there was a family still on the boat. I looked to my right and saw the ambulance. This was the third ambulance I saw this trip.

The manager thanked all of us for our patience and asked if anyone had dinner reservations. He called someone and asked them to call the restaurants to let them know some people would be delayed. The paramedics arrived and took the person off the boat in a wheelchair. They brought a gurney down but couldn't get it on the boat. They checked the person out and he got back on the boat with his family to go back to their resort. We were then on our way.

I was seated for dinner shortly after checking in. I was seated in a good place for people watching.

My dinner....

Rolls with roasted garlic

A glass of Malbec

The Steakhouse "Wedge" (iceberg lettuce, blue cheese, hazelnuts) was so simple yet delicious. It had the best blue cheese.

My main course (8-oz Center Cut Filet Mignon - Mashed Potatoes, and Cabernet Wine Sauce) was delivered to my table by the chef. I felt so important. He even stopped by a little later on to see how everything was. The filet was cooked perfectly and the potatoes melted in my mouth.

For dessert, I had the Yachtsman Sundae. I couldn't eat the whole thing but did eat all the cherries which were soaked in amaretto.

Kris1971's picture

The Yachtsman dinner looks scrumptious! I've never been there...might have to try it next time.

JoAnn that dinner looks scrumptious!

JoAnn C's picture

Day 6

Today is Animal Kingdom Day. We arrived right after opening and went straight to Kilimanjaro Safari.

I was also meeting up with Jessi today. We made plans to meet at the exit of the safari. I searched for Jessi and couldn't find her. I tried to call but I didn't have any service. I had it while on the safari but nothing when we exited. I kept walking until I had service and called her. We met up and went to Expedition Everest. We rode in the front seat. What a great place to sit.

We went back to Africa and had a drink at the Dawa bar while waiting for my friends to meet us for lunch at the Tusker House.

After lunch, my friends went back to the resort for some pool time. Jessi and I went to Conversation Station. I had never been there before and found it very interesting.

We then made our way over to Dinoland so I could ride Dinosaur. Jessi sat this one out. It was then time for the parade. We also saw It's Tough to be a Bug. I can't remember if we did that before or after lunch.

After the parade we left the park and headed our separate ways.

The plan that night was to go back to Magic Kingdom. I canceled my ADR at Epcot and was going to get dinner at MK. I got back to the resort and met up with my friends. They decided to skip MK and stay at the resort. Off I went.

I arrived at MK just as they were turning on the castle lights. My first stop was the New Fantasyland. And, finally, they were having a dress rehearsal. I toured the inside of Be Our Guest. It's beautiful. I can't wait to try it next year.

I apologize for the pictures being dark. I was playing around with the settings on my camera and they came out darker than I expected.

After leaving Be Our Guest, I went to Enchanted Tales with Belle.

Little Mermaid Ride

I took these pictures when the ride stopped.

Ariel's Grotto. Our conversation went something like this.

Ariel: Have we met before?
Me: Yes, we have
Ariel: How are your legs feeling?
Me: They are a little sore
Ariel: I've heard that a lot today. I will have to talk to Cinderella about that. Perhaps we should fill the area with water and every can float around the kingdom.
Me: I think that is a fantastic idea.

Gaston's Tavern

I was starting to get hungry. I made my way to Casey's for a hot dog. The fireworks were starting so I got a couple of shots.

After I ate I walked up to the train station and found a chair to sit while enjoying the castle show.

Great TR JoAnn!! I love all the pics. And I LOVE all the characters you meet up with! We need to travel with you one of these times. yay yay And I Could finish any part of the Yachtsman sundae for you. biggrin

Did you tell Barbara she has a huge following from this forum? Haha.

JoAnn C's picture

JeffC wrote:
Great TR JoAnn!! I love all the pics. And I LOVE all the characters you meet up with! We need to travel with you one of these times. yay yay And I Could finish any part of the Yachtsman sundae for you. biggrin

Did you tell Barbara she has a huge following from this forum? Haha.

Thanks Jeff. I would love to travel with you and Joe some time. I did tell Barbara she has a huge fan following.

JoAnn C's picture

Day 7

Today was a relaxing day. After a leisurely breakfast we headed over to Downtown Disney to do some shopping. We spend a couple of hours in DTD. My friends headed back to Pop to lounge by the pool, and I went to Animal Kingdom Lodge for lunch at Sanaa.

My appetizer was the salad sample of Watermelon, cucumber & fennel ; Roasted Beets and Bhel Puri.

Lunch was butter chicken and beef short ribs with basmati rice.

I think I found a dessert to replace the grapefruit cake at the Brown Derby as my favorite - Banana Kulfi Sundae.

Lunch was really good. I walked around to see the animals outside of the resort and spoke to CM from Africa.

I went back to Pop and met up with my friends by the pool. Before going to Epcot for dinner at Chefs de France we had a drink by the Petals Bar and called my mom to sing Happy Birthday to her.

For dinner I had the salade maison and Demi poulet fermier roti, pommes rissolees et broccoli (Half of an all-natural roasted chicken, rissole potatoes and broccoli)

I don't remember what I had for dessert.

After dinner we walked through Epcot.

Kristen K.'s picture

Mmmmmmmmnnnn..... Sanaa my one of my very favorite lunch spots.

JoAnn C's picture

Day 8

This morning I got up early for a breakfast ADR at 1900 Park Fair.

There's no better way to start the day than with a Mickey waffle.

I took the bus to meet my friends at DHS. I called when I got there and found out my one friend was sick and was staying at the resort. I hooked up with my other friend. First stop was a gift shop so I could buy a sweatshirt. It was cold that day. The temperature wasn't bad but there was no sun and it was windy.

After the sweatshirt was bought we rode the Great Movie Ride. This was the first time I've seen the western version of the ride. We walked through Pixar Place and I grabbed a FP for Toy Story Mania for later on in the day. We then hit Muppets 3D and Star Tours.

Lunch was at Sci-Fi. I ordered.... Wait for it.....

The All-American Picnic Burger

After lunch, we decided to head back and see how our friend was feeling. We sat by the pool for a couple of hours (wearing jeans and sweatshirts " it never did warm up).

Around 5:00 I went back to DHS to use my FP. I hadn't ridden this ride before and was excited to try it. I got to DHS and wouldn't you know the ride was closed because of mechanical issues. They were honoring all FP return times. Unfortunately, they didn't know when it was going to be back up and running. I went and got my picture taken with Woody and Buzz and walked over to see the Osborne Lights.

I went back to TSMM to see if it was running, and it was still closed. It started sprinkling, so I decided to call it a night. Before going to Pop, I went to Downtown Disney to see if my cousin was working. Finally I got to see her. I didn't visit with her long since she was working.

After I got back to my room, I organized my stuff. In 24 hours I would be home.

disneydaft70's picture

Loving your trip report Joann, everyone who goes to WDW solo inspires me a little more to go it alone myself when I can no longer take my boy. You have caused me a little problem though...now I need to rethink my ADR's again to maybe try Yachtsman Steakhouse...OMG that meal looked divine!!! (I think I'm the only person I know who gets excited over salads silly )

Thanks ever so much for sharing your trip and photos with us.

JA x

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker Free Disney Tickers

JoAnn C's picture

Day 9

My last day in the World. I got up early to check my suitcase and get my boarding pass for my flight later on in the day. I didn't mention on my day 8 report that I didn't receive my DME information like I normally do. I called that night and was told I would get it in the morning because of the time of my flight. I was taking a later flight than previous years so it kind of made sense.

When I got up that morning I checked the door and nothing. I called the front desk and they asked me to come up so they could look into it. DME didn't have my departure flight information. I noticed on my DME information that I got that it only had my arrival flight. My TA at AAA called and they confirmed my departure flight, plus it was listed when I checked my itinerary on the Disney website. Not sure where the disconnect was. Anyhow... it was taken care of and I was ready to start my day.

I dropped my carry-on bag off in my friends' room. My one friend was still sick from the day before. My other friend and I had breakfast and planned the day. After breakfast I went to MK to ride some rides I didn't go on earlier in the week. I made it for rope drop.

I went on Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan's Flight and saw Mickey's Philharmagic. After MK, I went to Epcot to meet my friend for lunch at Via Napoli. We met at Mouse Gears and took our time getting to World Showcase. Our lunch reservation was right at opening. We waited a few minutes before being seated.

My appetizer was arancini (fried risotto balls filled with mozzarella and meat ragu), entry was candele (candle stick pasta, sausage ragu, polpettine meatballs, mozzarella, ricotta) and dessert, tiramisu.

Lunch was good as always at Via Napoli. I thought the tiramisu had (and I can't believe I'm saying this) too much espresso (I didn't think there was such a thing).

The only pictures I took were of dessert and the Italian Margarita.

After lunch we took a leisurely walk back to the entrance to catch the bus back to Pop.

When we arrived our friend had made an appearance outside of their room and was sitting by the pool. We relaxed by the pool until it was time for my departure. sad

Some sidewalk art at the DME stop in front of Pop Century, my Disney home.

Now that my 2012 trip report is completed, I can start planning my 2013 trip. Oh, who am I kidding, the planning has already commenced. The trip has been booked and I'm working on the dining plan. I'm taking the day off in May when I can make our ADRs.

JoAnn C's picture

disneydaft70 wrote:
Loving your trip report Joann, everyone who goes to WDW solo inspires me a little more to go it alone myself when I can no longer take my boy. You have caused me a little problem though...now I need to rethink my ADR's again to maybe try Yachtsman Steakhouse...OMG that meal looked divine!!! (I think I'm the only person I know who gets excited over salads silly )

Thanks ever so much for sharing your trip and photos with us.

JA x

Thanks. So, did you decide to make an ADR for Yachtsman?

Kat's picture
Kat

Your trip report--or should I say food report, haha--is awesome; all the delicious food pictures have me salivating! Makes me wish we had more than 4 days in Orlando for our next trip so I could try more of the awesome restaurants you listed (especially Sanaa--that's definitely on my to-try, but unfortunately I don't think my fiance would like Indian food!). But until I get to go myself, I will live vicariously though awesome reports like this one! I'm glad you had such a great time!!

Fall 2015: Master's Degree Graduation Trip, Details TBD! Can't wait to be back in the World!
Nov. 2014: Baby's First 1/2 Day at the Magic Kingdom; our date day at Hollywood studios
Jan. 2014: Our princess was born!
May 2013: Our POR & DCL honeymoon (& my husband's first Disney trip of hopefully many!)
May 2013: Our Disney-themed wedding

Kristen K.'s picture

Oh my gosh, I must be starving this morning, all the food looks so amazing!

JoAnn C's picture

disneydoc wrote:
I must have some of that grapefruit cake. Did I hear some of you say that I can get this outside of the Brown Derby, perhaps at Starring Rolls? Am I dreaming? I cannot see doing an ADR just for cake.... mickey

Hey disneydoc

According to this article, you can ask for Grapefruit cake at Starring Rolls and if they're not busy they'll go to the Brown Derby and get a piece for you.

http://www.chipandco.com/2013/01/disney-world-quick-tips-disney-food/

disneydoc's picture

Thanks JoAnn! That's what I thought I had read somewhere. I will try that in April. mickey

Kris1971's picture

Great trip report, JoAnn! You've inspired me to give a solo trip a try sometime!

Allie's picture

JoAnn C wrote:
Now that my 2012 trip report is completed, I can start planning my 2013 trip. Oh, who am I kidding, the planning has already commenced. The trip has been booked and I'm working on the dining plan. I'm taking the day off in May when I can make our ADRs.

Now THAT'S commitment! Love it! Oh man I'm missing that Italian Margarita now....I had it at the F&WF when we were there in October and was it ever delicious! Great trip report!