Apple pay coming to Disney world

Login to post comments
25 posts / 0 new
AnnielovesDisney's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/12/2013
Posts: 887
Apple pay coming to Disney world

Apple announced the new Iphone 6 today along with Apple pay and Apple watch.
Apple pay will allow people at WDW, who have an Iphone 6, to hold up their Iphone 6 to the register and pay by only touching their Iphone 6 to the register. They won't need to pull out any credit cards, the credit card info. will be linked to their phone. It's very much like how the magic band has all your info. stored and you just need the band.

I don't know yet if we will be using this new component of the Iphone 6 when we go to Disney world. Below is the link to an article that has some information about the new Apple pay if you are interested.

http://www.insidethemagic.net/headlines/apple-pay-coming-to-walt-disney-world-mickey-mouse-face-animates-in-new-apple-watch/

EmFord's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/12/2014
Posts: 414

I don't know how I feel about Apple Pay... I am a huge Apple junkie and I know how secure they say it is but I just need to wait a little more until I trust my credit cards on it.. Now if it would work with a Disney gift card I would definitely use it! Come on Passbook!!

__________________

alicemouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/22/2013
Posts: 2832

I want to be able to use the iwatch in lieu of a magic band. Because then instead of looking like a fool at home because I refuse to take off my MB, I can just use my watch as a life MB. biggrin

__________________

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

AnnielovesDisney's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/12/2013
Posts: 887

EmFord wrote:
I don't know how I feel about Apple Pay... I am a huge Apple junkie and I know how secure they say it is but I just need to wait a little more until I trust my credit cards on it.. Now if it would work with a Disney gift card I would definitely use it! Come on Passbook!!

I'm hesitant to use Apple pay. I don't really see why it's such a big deal to take a credit card out of your wallet. You still have to take your ID out if you use Apple pay, so what is it saving you? Taking one card out instead of two?? I don't personally see that as a benefit.

alicemouse wrote:
I want to be able to use the iwatch in lieu of a magic band. Because then instead of looking like a fool at home because I refuse to take off my MB, I can just use my watch as a life MB. biggrin

laugh I wouldn't be surprised if eventually the Apple watch does function in place of a Magic Band!

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1556

Speaking of Apple and Magic Bands...

There is a theory that Apple actually makes the Magic Bands. It kinda makes sense to me. If you look at the writing on the back of MB and on the back of an iPhone, it's very similar. Magic Bands just "feel" like an Apple product.

Plus, Disney CMs use Apple products to read the Magic Bands. The devices they use in the restaurants are iPods in a custom enclosure. And you see other CMs walking around with iPads with custom written software.

EmFord's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/12/2014
Posts: 414

KenJ wrote:
Speaking of Apple and Magic Bands...

There is a theory that Apple actually makes the Magic Bands. It kinda makes sense to me. If you look at the writing on the back of MB and on the back of an iPhone, it's very similar. Magic Bands just "feel" like an Apple product.

Plus, Disney CMs use Apple products to read the Magic Bands. The devices they use in the restaurants are iPods in a custom enclosure. And you see other CMs walking around with iPads with custom written software.

i wouldn't be surprised at all. The theming is so characteristically "Apple". Also did anyone see that in Apples presentation one of the watch faces they demonstrated was a Mickey watch? Made me consider getting the watch even more just from that laugh

AnnielovesDisney wrote:

I'm hesitant to use Apple pay. I don't really see why it's such a big deal to take a credit card out of your wallet. You still have to take your ID out if you use Apple pay, so what is it saving you? Taking one card out instead of two?? I don't personally see that as a benefit.

Yeah.. I really don't get what makes it more convenient. The watch is convenient I guess, but its just not something that I feel that secure with until there is more testing and real-life applications.

__________________

Allie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/26/2012
Posts: 5438

KenJ wrote:
Speaking of Apple and Magic Bands...

There is a theory that Apple actually makes the Magic Bands. It kinda makes sense to me. If you look at the writing on the back of MB and on the back of an iPhone, it's very similar. Magic Bands just "feel" like an Apple product.

Plus, Disney CMs use Apple products to read the Magic Bands. The devices they use in the restaurants are iPods in a custom enclosure. And you see other CMs walking around with iPads with custom written software.

Makes total sense!

sputnik's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/10/2014
Posts: 49

I always find data security issues kind of funny. People will put a piece of paper with their bank routing, account info, personal information, and a copy of their signature; fold it in another piece of paper & sealed with spit and place it in an unlocked metal box by the side of the road (accurate description of a check, in an envelope, in a mail box)... but they are skeptical of technology.

If the tech delivers on it's promise, Apple Pay is more secure than handing someone your credit card.

  • The merchant never sees your actual credit card number or gains access to the data on the magnetic strip.
  • Your name is never part of the physical transaction
  • Your credit card is encrypted at two levels: your finger print and the time of the transaction generate a unique key to a temporary number that can be used to execute the transaction only at that moment in time & at that location. seconds later that data is useless.

I'm a year away from my next upgrade... but as soon as it's time, I'm IN.

alicemouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/22/2013
Posts: 2832

sputnik wrote:
I always find data security issues kind of funny. People will put a piece of paper with their bank routing, account info, personal information, and a copy of their signature; fold it in another piece of paper & sealed with spit and place it in an unlocked metal box by the side of the road (accurate description of a check, in an envelope, in a mail box)... but they are skeptical of technology.

If the tech delivers on it's promise, Apple Pay is more secure than handing someone your credit card.

  • The merchant never sees your actual credit card number or gains access to the data on the magnetic strip.
  • Your name is never part of the physical transaction
  • Your credit card is encrypted at two levels: your finger print and the time of the transaction generate a unique key to a temporary number that can be used to execute the transaction only at that moment in time & at that location. seconds later that data is useless.

I'm a year away from my next upgrade... but as soon as it's time, I'm IN.

I've made a similar point to my father many times only to have it fall on deaf ears. He had no problem giving his credit card number and expiration date over the phone to the hotel reservation desk attendant who used his credit card to make additional purchases without his consent, but he's afraid to use a secure internet payment site where a human being does not have to interact with his credit card info. The only time my card has ever been compromised was from using it at a local dining establishment when I handed my card to the waiter to pay my bill.

__________________

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

Offline
Joined: 09/24/2014
Posts: 1

By not using it you are being insecure with your purchase's. The credit card companies are willing to pay apple 11 cents per transaction for you to use apple pay over credit cards because of how secure it is and the lack of your info being stolen by the merchant you are buying from.

#1 you card is not stored on the phone. Once your card is setup with apple pay, each time you make a payment a one time use credit card code is transmitted to the payment terminal and authenticated by you placing your finger on the fingerprint reader of the iPhone. If for any reason if the code that was used during the transaction was intercepted, It cannot be used since it is only valid for one transaction.

#2 You do not need to pull out your photo ID for apple pay. Just like you don't have to pull out an ID for Debit card purchases when you enter your PIN.

I just got a new iPhone 6 Plus and bummed that its not going to be rolled out at disney yet when I go up next week for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.

Mrferret's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2013
Posts: 1710

Do the card machines at WDW not run with the chip and pin system ?

__________________

Howdy Y'all
https://www.facebook.com/matthew.tucker1
Caution Content May be inappropriate

May/June 2016 Magic cruise to Norway
2017 Prtugal wedding adventures
2018 Alskan disney cruise ??
2019 Florida

Allie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/26/2012
Posts: 5438

MikesTooLz wrote:
By not using it you are being insecure with your purchase's. The credit card companies are willing to pay apple 11 cents per transaction for you to use apple pay over credit cards because of how secure it is and the lack of your info being stolen by the merchant you are buying from.

#1 you card is not stored on the phone. Once your card is setup with apple pay, each time you make a payment a one time use credit card code is transmitted to the payment terminal and authenticated by you placing your finger on the fingerprint reader of the iPhone. If for any reason if the code that was used during the transaction was intercepted, It cannot be used since it is only valid for one transaction.

#2 You do not need to pull out your photo ID for apple pay. Just like you don't have to pull out an ID for Debit card purchases when you enter your PIN.

I just got a new iPhone 6 Plus and bummed that its not going to be rolled out at disney yet when I go up next week for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.

Great information, thanks for sharing!

DisneyDee27's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/02/2012
Posts: 1600

I picked up my iPhone 6 on release day and I'm looking forward to Apple Pay and the iWatch (yes I know it's just the apple watch)

I have no concerns with the security issues with Apple pay. As stated above checks and credit cards are easily stolen and used.

__________________

Member of the 6 castle club and working to pay for my next Disney vacations: 1/5-10/18, September 2018 for my 50th and 2018 the year of Disney cruising.

HizMinnie2015's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/13/2014
Posts: 13

So funny to me to hear all this talk of Apple pay. Its technology they got from Google and the android world. Yes, I'm an avid android lover. Yes, it pains me to think that the awesome magic band could be made by Apple... And finally, yes I sincerely detest Apple more than any other electronic product on earth.

I have used Google wallet for years; and now I have the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 moving to the Note 4 this weekend. I love not having to dig through my never ending purse to find my credit cards. I pay for almost everything via my cell phone. I do banking on my cell phone. I wire money from my cell phone. My cell phone has all but replaced my computer with the exception of a few very small areas.

Apple is slow to play catch up they are getting there... maybe one day they will release the tightly held reins and some android followers will switch... i might be persuaded if i could use 3rd party applications and they installed my beloved back button... but then again maybe not.

__________________

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 22298

HizMinnie2015 wrote:
So funny to me to hear all this talk of Apple pay.
Yes, it pains me to think that the awesome magic band could be made by Apple...
And finally, yes I sincerely detest Apple more than any other electronic product on earth.

Well, it's just one of those things, Disney and Apple were tied kinda together as soon as Disney bought Pixar. Steve Jobs was the largest private shareholder of Disney Stock, and had a seat on the board of directors. His ideas helped to move the Walt Disney Company forward on many levels and Pixar helped greatly to spearhead Disney's regrowth in animation. You're more than welcome to detest Apple, but its connections have brought a lot of innovation to the Walt Disney Company.

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1556

HizMinnie2015 wrote:
And finally, yes I sincerely detest Apple more than any other electronic product on earth.

eek

confused

DisneyDee27's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/02/2012
Posts: 1600

I don't understand brand animosity...I don't hate Uni-Stu, or 6 flags or Pepsi et al...if you don't like something don't buy it. That doesn't mean it's bad or should be detested. Enjoy the things you like and pay no attention to those you don't. We need more positive thoughts in the world.
Just my two cents...

__________________

Member of the 6 castle club and working to pay for my next Disney vacations: 1/5-10/18, September 2018 for my 50th and 2018 the year of Disney cruising.

Vettelover's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2009
Posts: 4653

DisneyDee27 wrote:
I don't understand brand animosity...I don't hate Uni-Stu, or 6 flags or Pepsi et al...if you don't like something don't buy it. That doesn't mean it's bad or should be detested. Enjoy the things you like and pay no attention to those you don't. We need more positive thoughts in the world.
Just my two cents...

That's worth way more than two cents Dee wink

__________________

DisneyDee27's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/02/2012
Posts: 1600

Vettelover wrote:
DisneyDee27 wrote:
I don't understand brand animosity...I don't hate Uni-Stu, or 6 flags or Pepsi et al...if you don't like something don't buy it. That doesn't mean it's bad or should be detested. Enjoy the things you like and pay no attention to those you don't. We need more positive thoughts in the world.
Just my two cents...

That's worth way more than two cents Dee wink

awesome

__________________

Member of the 6 castle club and working to pay for my next Disney vacations: 1/5-10/18, September 2018 for my 50th and 2018 the year of Disney cruising.

Mase's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2011
Posts: 5438

I as well am looking forward to Apple Pay. But when ios 8.1 came out. I found out that my bank isn't supported yet. Hoping by the time we leave it will be available. I love the idea of just paying with my phone.

__________________

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

HizMinnie2015's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/13/2014
Posts: 13

I have a brand new Samsung Galaxy Note 4 with the latest Google Os. I've found there are a lot of apps not supported yet on there either... Especially the "My Disney Experience" App. Hoping all these things are resolved before we go to Disney.

__________________

HizMinnie2015's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/13/2014
Posts: 13

You are all right... it just is one of those things... However for all the time I've spent using Apple and their products... I still have the right to dislike and detest them. I do not have to love Apple. I do not have to love any particular product, including Apple and/or Disney... However it is my love affair with Disney since being a young child that will allow me look past Apple and be excited to visit the mouse.

__________________

Amanda's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/23/2014
Posts: 27

What? Really? I'm pumped for this. So all I need is my MagicBand and iPhone 6? Perf laugh clapping

__________________

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

Offline
Joined: 08/30/2008
Posts: 3555

As someone who has been using Apple Pay since it first came out, I will say that it is the most convenient way to pay for items at the store, beside the added level of security involved.

As someone who does not use the Magic Band to make payments at WDW, I was looking forward to using Apple Pay on my visit last week. But alas, they are not yet in place. I do see several cash registers having extra devices next to the Mickey scanner, so maybe they are slowly moving to install it.

We used Apple Pay at the Winn Dixie supermarket that we usually go to on 536 while we were down there. The cashier actually didn't know anything about it, and we were her first customer to ever use Apple Pay. And that has been a rather consistent problem with this, that many businesses that are adopting it didn't adequately train their personnel. Similar observation occurred at MacDonalds, while those at Wallgreens seem to know about it and were better trained.

Zz.

__________________

No longer an active member.

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 22298

I know that several locations including guest relations, merchandise locations, quick service restaurants, lounges, bars, and ticket sales rolled out Apple Pay on December 10th, Traci wrote an news story for us.

http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/articles/apple-pay-available-walt-disney-world-resort-december-10 awesome

In addition to those more locations will be coming soon!