October 2013? Thoughts??

Login to post comments
22 posts / 0 new
October 2013? Thoughts??

I am a WDW Expert -- This trip will be my 11th trip since 1986. We are in the early planning stages of a trip for Fall 2013 that will include me, my mom, one of my oldest friends, and her son. My friend and I are turning 40 next year Sick and her son is going to be just about 8. The last 2 trips I've taken have been with Mom in May and I found them pretty crowded but workable. We decided that our next trip would be in the Fall. I've been twice in November and LOVED it! The F&W Fest, the perfect weather and the low crowds were wonderful! My friend hasn't been since 1986 and her son has never been so this would be a special trip for the 2 of them. Unfortunately, it was better for them to go in October due to school issues. We decided on a tentative week of October 19-26, staying at POFQ (for the dragon pool haha). I know they aren't interested in the MNSSHP (the son has an aversion to characters or "mascots") and I know to do the F&W Fest on weekdays since the locals crowd in on the weekends.

My question is, what can I expect for crowds if we avoid MK on party nights and Epcot on the weekend nights? Still fairly low crowds? Or will it be crazy crowded?
How about weather? My friend is battling a chronic issue where some of the symptoms seem to flare up in high humidity. I went in 2005 the very first week of October and it was VERY humid and just damp all week (not a lot of REAL rain). I was hoping that closer to November it would be less humid with cooler evenings? (although i do know the weather can be all over the place lol)

Anyway... Im hoping this is a good week. November and December are out for school issues and Sept is WAYYY too hot, humid and wet. My friend also tends to be sorta negative about people haha (courthouse employee haha) so Im hoping the lower crowds will keep her happy Smile

senseicj's picture

welcome welcome welcome I think you will find that week fine weather wise and also with the crowd if you stick to your plan. You can find out the estimated crowd level here http://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/crowd-calendar
Good luck and i hope they enjoy their trip

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
--Walt Disney--

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

I'm confused about why the Crowd Calendar has MK as the park to go to (with 2's and 3's for levels) on Party days. Should we plan to go on party DAYS and just get outta there before late afternoon/evening when the party people will be coming in?

senseicj's picture

The couple of times i have been before in october i did find that on the masshp day's that the park was not as crowded during the day so i would say that would be your best plan yes, i am going in late sept early oct so i can let you know how our experience is so you will have an idea of what to expect on those day's

--Walt Disney--

[/url]

That would be great! Thanks!!

senseicj's picture

I have found those crowd level calenders to be pretty accurate most of the time, but sometimes you just never know

--Walt Disney--

[/url]

Kristen K.'s picture

Hi klwdisney!! Welcome to the forums!
welcome

The past two years I've gone the first weekend of October and I loved it. I have health issues, and melt a bit in the heat & humidity. I didn't have a humidity problem at all, but the first year I went that week it was very warm. The only place that I really encountered a crowd from in the mid-late afternoon (starting around 3pm) at Food & Wine Festival on Friday & Saturday. Everywhere else was wonderful and we had 20 minute ride waits at the most.

I think that MK is less crowded on the party nights. It's my opinion that this is because day trippers, and people who don't have Park Hoppers don't go there because of the shortened hours that they encounter. I don't have any data on that though, it's just a guess. Party goers can begin to come in at 4:00pm, and they sweep the park of non-ticketed guests at 7:00pm.

Also, Sunday night at the Food & Wine Festival isn't all that bad as tourists head home, and locals know that they need to be able to get up for work the next day without a hangover.

I'm headed down Oct 25-29th this year, I'm hoping that it will be a little cooler and have smaller crowded. I'm not holding my breath though.

JoAnn C's picture

Welcome! What a great way to celebrate turning 40.

welcome klwdisney. I am going to Disney at the same time as you are. One of the reasons I picked October was weather and "supposed" low crowds. All of the sites that I have checked that you tell times of the year to go all agree that late October and early November have low crowds. We shall see!

MrHub's picture

Welcome klwdisney! Glad you could join us.

Mase's picture

Welcome to da club!!! biggrin

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

Vettelover's picture

Hi! klwdisney and welcome

Kris1971's picture

welcome
You are going to love Disney in October! This year is my 2nd time going in October. I just love WDW in the fall!

Allie's picture

Hi and Welcome!

DH and I are taking our first October trip this year and looking forward to *hopefully* lower crowds, milder weather, and the F&W festival! I think October will be a great time to visit

hi klwdisney,
You'll love WDW in October! We went last year in late October for the first time and loved it so much we'll be back there from Oct. 28 to Nov. 8. The weather isn't hot, it's not so crowded, and the lines are shorter.
MK is less crowded on mnsshp days--the park closes early for the party and people would rather come on a day when it's open later.
Patti mickey

Disney World in October is great. MK is less crowded on party days. If a family wants to see wishes or the electric light parade they will go on off nights when the park is open later. In a 7 night cycle the party can be held 4 - 5 times leaving only 2 - 3 chances. Good luck planning , the best advice is to get there for rope drop.

WDWfanatic's picture

The week of Columbus day may be busier than others. Just watch the crowd calendar. It is usually pretty accurate. I have plenty of friends who take their kids out of school that week because the miss fewer days of school. I have been October 2010 and 2012 and it was not unbearably hot, but it was still pretty warm. I will be there this year at the beginning of October. So far October is my favorite time of year. Used to be January but with kids the whole coat and dress in layers daily thing was annoying. October, it has always been warm all day. One Morning I had my DD in a sweater. No big deal.

Tammi

The Colonel's picture

October is my favorite time to visit. Kids back in school. Weather warm enough to swim, but not crazy hot. F&W festival. MNSSHP. Awesome!

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

We have a trip planned for 10/6-10/12. This is the week before Columbus day. The crowd predictors are ranging from low to moderate. We usually go in September so I am used to fairly low crowds. Does anyone have experience with this week of the year? Also F&W festival: does thatrun every night in Epcot or only Fri-Sun?

Allie's picture

Hi and welcome drewsmom! We were there from 10/12-10/19 this past year, so not the exact same week but pretty close. We had low crowds and absolutely fantastic weather! The F&WF runs every day and I recommend avoiding the weekend if you can. The crowds were manageble on the Saturday we were there, but definitely a lot more crazy then the weekdays we visited.

I am planning my first trip and birthday trip Oct 3-6! I am excited to hear it's not so crowded. I am wondering what halloween events, etc happen that are included with a regular ticket- I dont want to pay another $60 for Mickeys not so scary party. I still want some halloween stuff included- what goes on there? Thanks!

Allie's picture

Hi and welcome mwcompton32! MK still has Halloween decor up throughout the day, but most of the activity is during the MNSSHP.