The Perfect Magical Vacation..

Login to post comments
20 posts / 0 new
Anonymous
The Perfect Magical Vacation..

You know when I read about other folks vacations..4 days..5 days..6 day etc...I remember friends of ours going from Scotland for their first trip and decided on a 10 night vacation...They stayed on site at The Caribbean but ventured outside for UNI/IOA..Also Seaworld..International Drive for shopping..They came home shattered...To be honest our first trip was also hectic..One week on site...One week off site...Now after five years they have decided to go back this year and want to spend the entire time on site..Question they asked me...Is a 9 night vacation too short.?..Well from the UK I think it is...So my question is for my American friends, what is your perfect span of days at WDW and to my British friends the same question..

Disney Holic's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/03/2013
Posts: 161

From the UK if only Disney 2wks minimum, if doing US/IoA/SW/BG etc then 3wk minimum. The flights are so expensive you may as well go as long as possible. Last trip we stayed 20nts onsite at POR and even with our park tickets (and upgrade from free QSDP to DDP) the flights were still our biggest expense.

Even in 3wks we had to drop so much, we only had 2 rest days and they were at water parks. We came back shattered but wouldn't have done it any other way. If we didn't have the kids with us we could do a lot more in a lot less ttime though, we spend a lot of time babyswitching and waiting around with 3 young kids, deciding what to eat and they never need the toilet at the same time waiting

__________________

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

Always let your conscience be your guide....

DLP - 11 trips between 2006-2013
WDW - 4 trips between 1988-2011,
next Florida trip Oct/Nov 2014 - Magnificent Mega Month of Making Magical Memories - pre-trip report

Vettelover's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2009
Posts: 4648

We always go for a 2 week stay, the plane fare is about the same as a 1 week stay and we have enough DVC points for two week in any of the DVC resorts, (Bay Lake Towers this time) that way we can go at our own leisure pace and make the vacation much more enjoyable than constantly rushing around.

__________________

crazycatperson's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/19/2011
Posts: 3709

Our longest stay was 8 nights, but I think 2 weeks would be perfect, given that our airfare is not all that bad.

h0ney227's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/30/2013
Posts: 547

My longest was 2 weeks that encompassed Christmas and New Years. It was nice going for that long around that time of the year cause the lines didn't bother us because it was two whole weeks. Unfortunately my trip next month is only going to be 5 full days because with the wedding my fiance doesn't have much vacation time. This will be my shortest trip.

__________________

alicemouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/22/2013
Posts: 2832

For me, 10 days to 2 weeks. We did 11 days on this last trip and we were both starting to miss the fur kids quite a bit and things were starting to fall apart at work, so I think more than 2 weeks would be too much for me to be comfortable being away at one time.

__________________

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

jw24's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/23/2013
Posts: 999

Idealistically, I think I am thinking 10-12 days for me because I want rest days between theme parks visits so that'll allow me to relax more, see more of the bubble and not have a rush mentality to do everything. I know the common number is seven days, six nights, but technically, I already lose two days for arrival and departure because typically by the time I arrive in WDW, I'm too tired to do any park time or anything else because of the hustle and bustle of travelling and when I leave, it's not during the night. It's always in the morning or early afternoon. (And probably better off for my sanity!)

__________________

"All my life I wonder how it feels to pass a day, not above them but part of them.

And out there living in the sun, give me one day out there, all I ask is one to hold forever. Out there where they all live unaware, what I'd give, what I'd dare, just to live one day out there."

SpamGoddess's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/10/2013
Posts: 292

My next trip will be five nights (so four full days, plus two "half days" that will also be travel days), which is already two days longer than my last trip, and I think I'll be ok with that. Buuuuuuuut... I've been planning out my "dream" vacation which is two weeks. So hopefully I'll be able to take enough trips to find the perfect length for me. biggrin

__________________

kathys's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/01/2013
Posts: 694

King Fergus wrote:
You know when I read about other folks vacations..4 days..5 days..6 day etc...I remember friends of ours going from Scotland for their first trip and decided on a 10 night vacation...They stayed on site at The Caribbean but ventured outside for UNI/IOA..Also Seaworld..International Drive for shopping..They came home shattered...To be honest our first trip was also hectic..One week on site...One week off site...Now after five years they have decided to go back this year and want to spend the entire time on site..Question they asked me...Is a 9 night vacation too short.?..Well from the UK I think it is...So my question is for my American friends, what is your perfect span of days at WDW and to my British friends the same question..

I would say 2 weeks that way it will be easier on everyone...meaning no stress of trying to get everything done in 9 nights...especially the 2 days that will be travel days I don't think the count...do you?

__________________

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

Eeyore's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/22/2012
Posts: 1120

Well, ANY days in the world would be great right now! haha

But, normally, our trips are at least 7 days in the world. Longest I've ever stayed was 2 weeks at the campground and it's the best vacation I've ever had.

Our last trip when we went on the Disney Cruise was nice because we were on ship for 7 days and at Disney for 4....perfect time!

disvillain63's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/23/2013
Posts: 132

We've gone anywhere from 3 days to 8 days. I like the 8 days better, but I'm happy just getting to go.

Magic Days's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/02/2012
Posts: 601

Our last trip was 8 nights and that was great. We stick with Disney so if we were doing other places then more time would be needed.

__________________

King Fergus

I had a friend from Ireland who stayed three weeks at OKW in 2012 and we were at PORS the same year..We were also considering a three week vacation,but opted for two weeks..To be honest,at our last day,we were reading for home..Our feet were needing a rest,and we had done everything on our list..

Mrferret's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2013
Posts: 1710

We have done two and three week stays at the world.
2 weeks is the minimum for all the orlando area (Disney,SW,UNI,IOA,BG)
3 weeks gives a more relaxed time to do these things.
I also think it all depends on the group you are travelling with.As it's just me and DW then we go at our own pace and don't have to worry about feeding/watering times for infants.We eat when we get hungry and rest up when it gets too much.Personally i wouldn't dream about taking a mid-day break back at the resort but can understand taking wee ones back before meltdown occurs.

__________________

Howdy Y'all
https://www.facebook.com/matthew.tucker1
Caution Content May be inappropriate

May/June 2016 Magic cruise to Norway
2017 Prtugal wedding adventures
2018 Alskan disney cruise ??
2019 Florida

King Fergus

Mrferret wrote:
We have done two and three week stays at the world.
2 weeks is the minimum for all the orlando area (Disney,SW,UNI,IOA,BG)
3 weeks gives a more relaxed time to do these things.
I also think it all depends on the group you are travelling with.As it's just me and DW then we go at our own pace and don't have to worry about feeding/watering times for infants.We eat when we get hungry and rest up when it gets too much.Personally i wouldn't dream about taking a mid-day break back at the resort but can understand taking wee ones back before meltdown occurs.

Well although our DS is now a teenager ( Where did the time go ) we still love a chill/ swim back at our resort in the afternoon.Looking forward to trying one of the Hot Tubs at WL this year...We usually hit the parks first thing 8.00 and by 12.00 or 13.00 it's back for chill out..Then lunch..Then back to the parks..I don't think I could survive from 8.00am till midnight without a chill/swim break..But then again,your just a pup compared to me..LOL..Us old ones need a catnap..

Mrferret's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2013
Posts: 1710

King Fergus wrote:
Mrferret wrote:
We have done two and three week stays at the world.
2 weeks is the minimum for all the orlando area (Disney,SW,UNI,IOA,BG)
3 weeks gives a more relaxed time to do these things.
I also think it all depends on the group you are travelling with.As it's just me and DW then we go at our own pace and don't have to worry about feeding/watering times for infants.We eat when we get hungry and rest up when it gets too much.Personally i wouldn't dream about taking a mid-day break back at the resort but can understand taking wee ones back before meltdown occurs.

Well although our DS is now a teenager ( Where did the time go ) we still love a chill/ swim back at our resort in the afternoon.Looking forward to trying one of the Hot Tubs at WL this year...We usually hit the parks first thing 8.00 and by 12.00 or 13.00 it's back for chill out..Then lunch..Then back to the parks..I don't think I could survive from 8.00am till midnight without a chill/swim break..But then again,your just a pup compared to me..LOL..Us old ones need a catnap..

The day before we flew back we started at MK for the opening and were there until 1:00 am We then were up at 7 and checking out before heading to EPCOT for a mornings fun with a late flight ... Coffee is my friend awesome

__________________

Howdy Y'all
https://www.facebook.com/matthew.tucker1
Caution Content May be inappropriate

May/June 2016 Magic cruise to Norway
2017 Prtugal wedding adventures
2018 Alskan disney cruise ??
2019 Florida

King Fergus

Mrferret wrote:
King Fergus wrote:
Mrferret wrote:
We have done two and three week stays at the world.
2 weeks is the minimum for all the orlando area (Disney,SW,UNI,IOA,BG)
3 weeks gives a more relaxed time to do these things.
I also think it all depends on the group you are travelling with.As it's just me and DW then we go at our own pace and don't have to worry about feeding/watering times for infants.We eat when we get hungry and rest up when it gets too much.Personally i wouldn't dream about taking a mid-day break back at the resort but can understand taking wee ones back before meltdown occurs.

Well although our DS is now a teenager ( Where did the time go ) we still love a chill/ swim back at our resort in the afternoon.Looking forward to trying one of the Hot Tubs at WL this year...We usually hit the parks first thing 8.00 and by 12.00 or 13.00 it's back for chill out..Then lunch..Then back to the parks..I don't think I could survive from 8.00am till midnight without a chill/swim break..But then again,your just a pup compared to me..LOL..Us old ones need a catnap..

The day before we flew back we started at MK for the opening and were there until 1:00 am We then were up at 7 and checking out before heading to EPCOT for a mornings fun with a late flight ... Coffee is my friend awesome

..Aye..Wait till you get to my age...I have no problems getting up at 6.15am..But staying up till 1.00am is a big ask..

Allie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/26/2012
Posts: 5359

We do 7 days, 6 nights with arrival day also being a park day and departure day being a DTD day. In an ideal world, I'd like to extend that to may 10-14 days so we could have some more down/resort exploring/relaxation time. Right now, we're usually up for rope drop and then at the parks through EMH. We usually come home on a Friday though and use Saturday and Sunday to recover from our "vacation" before we're back to work on Monday awesome

Offline
Joined: 08/20/2011
Posts: 397

We drive from Canada and we first started going for 6 days 6 nights when the kids were teenagers and I found that a bit rushed so we ended up working things out to 8 days and nights and found that was perfect. Just enough time to do everything, have a resort or shopping day and then the final day to go back and pick up items I promised I would bring back for the kids(those giant rice krispie treat mickey heads, giant sugar cookies and other treats). I am so excited though because this time I was able to make it 9 days and nights clapping That should give us a lot of extra time to just enjoy being there.

Mushi404's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/16/2013
Posts: 93

We did 11 days, couldn't do anything on the 12th day, we left too early. We spent 2 days at Universal/Islands of Adventure (during Halloween so it closed early) and it was a little short for us. The rest was spent at Disney World, still to short for us. We're going back again this year, gonna try to get more done Smile