Spice Road

Login to post comments
13 posts / 0 new
figgy's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/15/2013
Posts: 819
Spice Road

In my quest to find new places to eat I came across the menu for Spice Road and it looks interesting. How's the food? And almost as important how's the viewing for Illuminations from there? BTW my favorite qs in WS is the Tangerine Cafe, THNX

__________________

August 2016 here we come!

The Colonel's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/08/2012
Posts: 2936

Don't eat during Illuminations. You will worry about getting an ADR at a restaurant with a good view at the right time. Then you will worry that they actually seat you when they are supposed to. Then you will worry that you get a good table and there are only so many of those so chances are you won't. But even if you do, people from other tables will be hovering over you cramping you and making you uncomfortable while you try to eat and watch the show at the same time. Or maybe you'll feel guilty that their snot nosed kid can't see. And your food will be delivered right before show time so you won't be able to pay sufficient attention to your food or the show. A total anxiety festival.

Just my opinion. Eat before Illuminations. Enjoy your meal. Then go outside and stake put your spot with a nice adult beverage and enjoy the show.

We go on.

__________________

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

figgy's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/15/2013
Posts: 819

The Colonel wrote:
Don't eat during Illuminations. You will worry about getting an ADR at a restaurant with a good view at the right time. Then you will worry that they actually seat you when they are supposed to. Then you will worry that you get a good table and there are only so many of those so chances are you won't. But even if you do, people from other tables will be hovering over you cramping you and making you uncomfortable while you try to eat and watch the show at the same time. Or maybe you'll feel guilty that their snot nosed kid can't see. And your food will be delivered right before show time so you won't be able to pay sufficient attention to your food or the show. A total anxiety festival.

Just my opinion. Eat before Illuminations. Enjoy your meal. Then go outside and stake put your spot with a nice adult beverage and enjoy the show.

We go on.

Thank you! I was thinking about some snacks and a pitcher of Sangria! Just me and my dh, the plan would be to leave my monsters riding the rides and meet them at the gate after.

__________________

August 2016 here we come!

crazycatperson's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/19/2011
Posts: 3709

I love Spice Road. The food is superb. We dined before Illuminations and missed the crowds, which were starting to fill the place as we left.

The Watchmaker's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/08/2014
Posts: 1802

I thought this place ain't on DDP?...Am I correct here.? confused

figgy's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/15/2013
Posts: 819

The Watchmaker wrote:
I thought this place ain't on DDP?...Am I correct here.? confused

Just checked the Disney sight yesterday and it now takes ADRs and "some DDP" BTW sangria 34.99 a pitcher.

__________________

August 2016 here we come!

The Watchmaker's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/08/2014
Posts: 1802

figgy wrote:
The Watchmaker wrote:
I thought this place ain't on DDP?...Am I correct here.? confused

Just checked the Disney sight yesterday and it now takes ADRs and "some DDP" BTW sangria 34.99 a pitcher.

Whit!!!.... eek I can make a pitcher of Sangria for $5.99...lol....

Mousedreaming's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/11/2014
Posts: 367

figgy wrote:
The Watchmaker wrote:
I thought this place ain't on DDP?...Am I correct here.? confused

Just checked the Disney sight yesterday and it now takes ADRs and "some DDP" BTW sangria 34.99 a pitcher.

Part of the reason we passed when we were there for spring break last year. And, the foodie pics didn't look appealing to us, either, at the time.

__________________

*Proud Disney Nut*

figgy's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/15/2013
Posts: 819

The Watchmaker wrote:
figgy wrote:
The Watchmaker wrote:
I thought this place ain't on DDP?...Am I correct here.? confused

Just checked the Disney sight yesterday and it now takes ADRs and "some DDP" BTW sangria 34.99 a pitcher.

Whit!!!.... eek I can make a pitcher of Sangria for $5.99...lol....

But can you enjoy a lovely view of SSE from your castle? waiting

__________________

August 2016 here we come!

The Watchmaker's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/08/2014
Posts: 1802

figgy wrote:
The Watchmaker wrote:
figgy wrote:
The Watchmaker wrote:
I thought this place ain't on DDP?...Am I correct here.? confused

Just checked the Disney sight yesterday and it now takes ADRs and "some DDP" BTW sangria 34.99 a pitcher.

Whit!!!.... eek I can make a pitcher of Sangria for $5.99...lol....

But can you enjoy a lovely view of SSE from your castle? waiting

I sold my castle to a dude named King Fergus..Grumpy old git...I can only dream of seeing SSE... awesome

figgy's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/15/2013
Posts: 819

awesome eek congrats rolling rolling rolling rolling

__________________

August 2016 here we come!

Mousedreaming's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/11/2014
Posts: 367

The Watchmaker wrote:
figgy wrote:
The Watchmaker wrote:
figgy wrote:
The Watchmaker wrote:
I thought this place ain't on DDP?...Am I correct here.? confused

Just checked the Disney sight yesterday and it now takes ADRs and "some DDP" BTW sangria 34.99 a pitcher.

Whit!!!.... eek I can make a pitcher of Sangria for $5.99...lol....

But can you enjoy a lovely view of SSE from your castle? waiting

I sold my castle to a dude named King Fergus..Grumpy old git...I can only dream of seeing SSE... awesome

rolling rolling rolling

__________________

*Proud Disney Nut*

Offline
Joined: 08/30/2008
Posts: 3555

Spice Road was the bomb when it first opened. I wrote a review of it in one of my trip report last year.

http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/2014-dvc-members-cruisewdw-trip?page=4#comment-1117594

When we went back this past December, it had go on DDP and the offerings were now different. Because of the DPP, they had to offer more "entree portions", and the sampler items that I had earlier were gone! It kinda ruined the whole concept of the restaurant being a Tapas-style Mediterranean cuisine.

And I don't know if they changed their chef or changed ingredients, but the food also didn't taste quite as good as I remembered it.

As I had stated in the earlier trip report, I suggested that everyone tried it before they mess it up. Unfortunqtely, it appears that that had already happened.

__________________

No longer an active member.