ECV Rentals?

Login to post comments
14 posts / 0 new
starwarsgirl95's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/17/2013
Posts: 179
ECV Rentals?

I'm possibly going to WDW in June for four days. In January, the last time I was at WDW, I majorly sprained my ankle and am still recovering from a damaged tendon. My doctor is sending me for an MRI, and we're hoping that all I need is physical therapy, but she presented the boot and surgery as possibilities. Anyway...I'm thinking she may tell me that I should not be walking, so I'm looking into an ECV. Can anyone recommend a good place? Out of the Disney endorsed ones, Apple rentals seems the best, but I'd like some input here, as well as any tips you might have.

Thanks!

__________________

I'm in the Virtual Honor Choir at Disney's California Adventure! One of 700 singers selected from 1500 submissions and one of 200 sopranos from 550 submissions! Click on the link to see it! http://youtu.be/04a199tjhKk
magicalkingdoms.com Ticker Free Disney Tickers
magicalkingdoms.com Ticker Free Disney Tickers

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9497

We used Buena Vista Scooter Rentals several times, they have locations on property at the Boardwalk or you can call and order. They are great , they drop it off at the resort and pick it up. They leave it at bell services and that's where you pickup and drop off. We always got the Portable scooter because it was so easy to take apart to put in the car and then put together. Takes about 30 seconds. The batteries last forever to, never had a problem.

alicemouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/22/2013
Posts: 2832

Our rental was for a wheelchair, but we were very happy with the service that we received from Walker Mobility. We did have to meet the rep to pick up and drop off, but the rep was very flexible. They waited for us to arrive at the hotel lobby and for pick-up, we called as we were walking out of AK and they were pulling into the AK parking lot as we arrived at our car. They sent us a personalized followup thank you email and card. The rate for the item that we rented was also very competitive with other locations that we explored.

__________________

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

starwarsgirl95's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/17/2013
Posts: 179

alicemouse wrote:
Our rental was for a wheelchair, but we were very happy with the service that we received from Walker Mobility. We did have to meet the rep to pick up and drop off, but the rep was very flexible. They waited for us to arrive at the hotel lobby and for pick-up, we called as we were walking out of AK and they were pulling into the AK parking lot as we arrived at our car. They sent us a personalized followup thank you email and card. The rate for the item that we rented was also very competitive with other locations that we explored.

Thanks. I asked this question on another forum as well, and two different people out of the three who responded mentioned Walker, so they are winning so far...

__________________

I'm in the Virtual Honor Choir at Disney's California Adventure! One of 700 singers selected from 1500 submissions and one of 200 sopranos from 550 submissions! Click on the link to see it! http://youtu.be/04a199tjhKk
magicalkingdoms.com Ticker Free Disney Tickers
magicalkingdoms.com Ticker Free Disney Tickers

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23798

I've rented both through Disney in the Parks and through Buena Vista.
I was very happy with the service through Buena Vista.

I wrote an article last year about ECV rental with pros and cons, you can find it here
http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/articles/mobility-assistance-rentals-walt-disney-world-vacations

starwarsgirl95's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/17/2013
Posts: 179

Thanks all. The MRI came back clear, so I need physical therapy, so we'll go from there. Hopefully I won't need to rent an ECV, but we'll see.

__________________

I'm in the Virtual Honor Choir at Disney's California Adventure! One of 700 singers selected from 1500 submissions and one of 200 sopranos from 550 submissions! Click on the link to see it! http://youtu.be/04a199tjhKk
magicalkingdoms.com Ticker Free Disney Tickers
magicalkingdoms.com Ticker Free Disney Tickers

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23798

Awesome! Glad to hear that the MRI came back clear.

Becks534's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/17/2011
Posts: 277

Glad the MRI looks good! If you do decide to opt for an ECV, I can tell you that both Buena Vista Scooter Rentals and Walker Mobility are good folks to deal with.

amy1989's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/30/2013
Posts: 1404

I'm just resurrecting this post!

we are going to the bubble in 2 weeks time (yay!) but my mam has developed a problem with her knee the doctors are looking into it but with only 2 weeks to go she is worrying about walking around the parks so we are very much considering renting an ECV, we have never used an ECV before and don't really know anything about it but we have been doing some research and the most popular companies seem to be Buena Vista and Walker but we have a few questions that I'm hoping you wonderful people on here might be able to help with! Looking at Buena Vista rentals it says the scooters are not showerproof and we have a lot to do so what exactly happens if it gets wet? or how do you prevent it from getting wet as most places you have to park them in the parks are outside? Walker rentals says there's are waterproof which would be better but we aren't sure if we have to meet them at the hotel or do they drop it off at the resort (we are staying onsite POR), also do the scooters come with instructions because neither me or mam have used one before and we don't want to run over anyone's feet without having proper understanding of the machines! we do not have a hire car we are relying solely on Disney transport.

if anyone has any other tips, advice or recommendations anything would be an amazing help!

megan1632's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/18/2016
Posts: 17

My mom had just had her knee replaced the last time we were at Disney. We rented from Buena Vista. They were awesome. They had the ECV waiting at the hotel (Old Key West.) There were limited instructions, but they are pretty easy to manage. The only problem I think she might have is getting it on and off the buses. Several of the bus drivers were VERY helpful, a few were not. My mom eventually got the hang of it. If you are attending any parades or fireworks, I would move to the side and wait until the masses have panned out. It was a nightmare trying to maneuver through massive crowds

amy1989's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/30/2013
Posts: 1404

megan1632 wrote:
My mom had just had her knee replaced the last time we were at Disney. We rented from Buena Vista. They were awesome. They had the ECV waiting at the hotel (Old Key West.) There were limited instructions, but they are pretty easy to manage. The only problem I think she might have is getting it on and off the buses. Several of the bus drivers were VERY helpful, a few were not. My mom eventually got the hang of it. If you are attending any parades or fireworks, I would move to the side and wait until the masses have panned out. It was a nightmare trying to maneuver through massive crowds

thanks Megan! did you have any problems with it getting wet? because on their website it says they aren't showerproof and we are a bit worried that if it gets wet and the thing wont move we are pretty much stuck! we are looking at the three wheeled ones as they seem easier to manouver!

megan1632's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/18/2016
Posts: 17

it rained a couple of times, but we had no issues with the scooter. I'm guessing prolonged exposure in water isn't good, but we had no issues when it was in rain

amy1989's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/30/2013
Posts: 1404

megan1632 wrote:
it rained a couple of times, but we had no issues with the scooter. I'm guessing prolonged exposure in water isn't good, but we had no issues when it was in rain

that's good to know thanks!

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23798

amy1989 wrote:

did you have any problems with it getting wet? because on their website it says they aren't showerproof and we are a bit worried that if it gets wet and the thing wont move we are pretty much stuck! we are looking at the three wheeled ones as they seem easier to manouver!

My husband bought me a waterproof backpack cover (from Walmart I think) for the front of my rented ECV (from Buena Vista Rentals) and it absolutely worked like a charm through Tropical Storm Irene. I just draped it over the control panel I handles, then down across the front basket and it worked like an absolute charm. After the rain was done I would take it off, shake it out and fold it up to fit in my bag.