JoAnn's Trip Report 11/11/11 - 11/18/11

Login to post comments
52 posts / 0 new
JoAnn C's picture
JoAnn's Trip Report 11/11/11 - 11/18/11

Day 1

I woke up at 3:00 the morning of 11/11 and crossed off the last day on my countdown calendar.

I arrived at the airport for my 6:00 flight at 4:30. The flight to Atlanta was a little bumpy but we made it 30 minutes early. The flight from Atlanta to Orlando was delayed about 30 minutes (the plane was at the gate but the cleaning crew hadn't cleaned it from the last flight). We still arrived 10 minutes early. I was sitting on the Magical Express bus by 11:45. We left the airport and were on our way by 12:05.

I sat in the front of the bus to get this shot.

I checked-in online earlier in the week and stopped at the desk to pick up Key to the World card. They were going to put me in the 70's section but I asked if I get a room in the 50's section which they were able to do. My room was ready, so I dropped my carry-on bag off and was on the bus to Epcot a little after 1:00. I was at Epcot by 1:30 and found the Festival Center for the wine seminar at 2:00.

The seminar was awesome. We sampled four Rieslings from the Selbach-Oster winery in Germany. The winery had been in the presenter's family since 1600. Johannes Selbach provided a brief history of the winery along with a slide show of the region in Germany where the winery is located. The seminar was scheduled for 45 minutes but lasted an hour. He stayed and answered questions after the seminar had ended. He even posed for some pictures.

After the seminar I walked to World Showcase wanting to try some samples. I realized the time and only had the Grilled Beef Skewer with Chimichurri Sauce and Boniato Puree. I had dinner reservations at Chef Mickey's at 5:10 and didn't want to fill up too much. I needed something to hold me over until this. And this did the trick. I give an A+++.

While walking out of World Showcase, I saw this Character Meet and Greet and just had to do it.

I do find it rather disturbing that Duffy has a "tattoo" of Mickey on his butt.

This is just the beginning of day one. I'll try to get on again this week and add some more.

Jess's picture

LOL...Love it that you took a picture of Duffy's butt

Mase's picture

Is that a tramp stamp? biggrin

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

Kris1971's picture

Awesome! Talk about a hidden Mickey! LOL

Kristen K.'s picture

LOL! Duffy Butt! I muchlove Duffy.

Why did you prefer the 50's section over the 70's section of POP? We've never stayed at POP, wanted to get more opinions from those who actually stayed at POP.

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.
Tonight you will be having diner at the Poly. Sure hope you post some pictures of that for us.

Great pictures and report! I see I'm not the only one with a hidden Mickey on his butt! Oh - oops. TMI. Hahaha Tongue

My favorite picture of all trips - that Welcome sign!!!! YAY!! stars

MrHub's picture

Yes Jeff - TMI ! awesome

JoAnn C's picture

Poppet wrote:
Why did you prefer the 50's section over the 70's section of POP? We've never stayed at POP, wanted to get more opinions from those who actually stayed at POP.

I love the theming of the 50's section. Plus it has statues of Lady and The Tramp which is my favorite Disney movie.

JoAnn C's picture

scrappy wrote:
Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.
Tonight you will be having diner at the Poly. Sure hope you post some pictures of that for us.

My Monday night dinner plans were changed a few months ago so no Ohana for me. I was out-voted so we ate at Le Cellier. Tomorrow, we are having breakfast at the Kona Cafe. I'll get some pictures then.

JoAnn C's picture

JoAnn C wrote:
Poppet wrote:

I love the theming of the 50's section. Plus it has statues of Lady and The Tramp which is my favorite Disney movie.

And if you get the right room you can see the fireworks from Illuminations.

JoAnn C's picture

Day 1 " part 2

I left Epcot to go to the Contemporary Resort for my dinner reservation at Chef Mickey's. I had a little extra time so I stop at the Grand Floridian. The Gingerbread house was being constructed.

I was disappointed in my experience at Chef Mickey's. The food was ok (some was cold). My server wasn't the greatest. I enjoyed seeing the characters as they made their rounds. Chef Mickey's will be added to the "I can say I did it and never have to do it again" list.

I only wanted my picture taken with Mickey and Minnie. My server took the picture of Mickey and I and they both came out blurry. Another server took the picture of Minnie and I.

After dinner it was time for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. If you haven't gone to the Christmas party, I highly suggest it.

I got in a few minutes before 7:00 and reviewed the guide that I got when I entered to plan my strategy. The events didn't start until 7:45 so I hit a couple of rides. My first stop was the People Mover. I see why so many of you like it. I was walking around trying to keep warm (it was cold Friday night) and found myself in Fantasyland so I rode Snow White's Scary Adventure. I wanted to make sure I rode it one last time before it closed.

I found my way back to Tomorrowland to watch "A Totally Tomorrowland Christmas" show.

After the show, I stopped in Cosmic Ray's for hot chocolate and the "Jingle Dance and Play" dance party with Goofy, Pluto, Chip and Dale was in progress. I'm not sure what the orb is on Goofy's nose.

I walked back to Fantasyland and rode a couple more rides (The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and It's a Small World). Had more hot chocolate and it was time for Holiday Wishes. The fireworks were spectacular.

After the fireworks, I walked to the front of the castle to watch "Celebrate the Season" show. The show started at 10:05 and I was starting to fade (remember I had been up since 3:00am). My pictures came out blurry; I think because I was shivering too much. Then my camera battery died and the spare is on its last leg and kept going out.

After the show I walked up Main Street and found a warm place to sit while waiting for the parade which started in Frontierland at 10:30. When the parade made its way to Main Street I went back outside and quickly headed back in. I was able to see the parade from inside the Town Square Theater lobby. As soon as I saw Santa rounding the corner I hightailed it out of there and headed for the bus back to Pop.

I probably won't get back on-line until I'm home so stayed tuned for more...

Kristen K.'s picture

I felt the same way when I took the kids to Chef Mickey's last year! Even my kids left breakfast disappointed, they said that it was much more fun in their memory. I think I'll stick with Cape May for my Character Breakfast from now on. Chef Mickey's gets a lot of hype, but the food is just OK, and it's become so huge that it's sort of mechanical and lack luster as far as performance goes.

Great report! Love all the pictures. So much fun!!! Thanks to for your input on POP. We are in a toss up over the 50's section or 80's. We are "80's Kids" but "Lady and the Tramp" is one of our absolute fave movies of all time.

Thanks JoAnne!!! This is almost as good as being there!!!! The pics bring back so many great memories from being there last year for Christmas decorations. Isn't it gorgeous?

I love the pic you got with Minnie - you two are sooo cute together with your Minnie ears! clapping clapping clapping

Kris1971's picture

These Christmas pictures are definitely making me lean towards December for my trip with the niece and nephew. Thanks, JoAnn. Everything looks so beautiful!!!!

JoAnn C's picture

HI. I'm back. I got home at 1:00 this morning. I'll be working on the rest of the trip report over the next few days.

Welcome home, though sorry your trip is over Sad

Looking forward to the rest of the report!

stars stars stars stars

MrHub's picture

We'll be waiting. Welcome home.

JoAnn C's picture

Day 2
Saturday 11/12, I started the day with a good breakfast at The Tusker House. These were the best scrambled eggs. I went for seconds on those and had another Mickey waffle. The waitress I had was awesome. She made sure my glass of jungle juice was never empty.

Throughout breakfast, the characters made their rounds.

I made my way to Epcot to meet up with Lizzy B.

I walked around Epcot waiting for Lizzy's arrival. When she called that she at the park I found a place that was easy for our meeting.

Lizzy and I sat and chatted for a while before she had to attend the event she had signed up for. We parted ways at the Festival Welcome Center and I took my time walking to the Italy Pavilion for the Italy Food & Wine Pairing at 2:00. I can't say much about it here. I am submitting a review of the event to the Disney Food Blog and one of the rules is any review can't be published on another site. If it does get published on DFB, I'll post the link. If not, I'll share it here at a later date. I will say I loved it.

After the event, I watched the performers in the Italy Pavilion for a while and then started walking through World Showcase.

It was busy that day.

I watched the American Adventure and decided to call it a day. I was spent. I took this picture on my way out of Epcot.

I went back to Pop Century and canceled my dinner reservations at Tony's. Pop was showing the movie Up that night, so I sat and watched it for a while. I grabbed some dinner at the food court and brought it back to my room and was asleep by 9:00.

JoAnn C's picture

Day 3

Sunday morning, I had breakfast at the resort and hopped on a bus to Epcot. My first stop was Soarin'. I arrived at Epcot around 9:30 and there was already a 45 minute wait for stand-by. I didn't feel like standing in line and the fast pass return times were for 11:00. I decided not to ride Soarin'. I rode Living with the Land and Finding Nemo and saw the Circle of Life Show before lunch. I walked to the International Gateway and took the boat to the Boardwalk. Lunch was at the ESPN Club.

I checked in around 11:30 and told the hostess that I didn't care if I sat in the bar or the dining room as long as I got to watch the Steelers game. As luck would have it, one of the two best seats in the house was available. I got to sit in one of the coveted recliners in front of the big screen which was showing the Steelers / Bengals game that day. The guy sitting in the other recliner and I were congratulated for getting the recliners.

Prior to the game, they had their own pre-game show which included prizes.

I watched the game until around 3:00 to head back to Pop to meet my friends who were arriving around 4:00.

I took the boat to Hollywood Studios and rode the bus from there. We sat by the Petals Bar and visited until about 5:15. We went to Hollywood Studios to watch the lighting ceremony for the Osborne Festival of Lights prior to our ADR at Hollywood and Vine.

I read mixed reviews on this restaurant and none of us had eaten there before. We enjoyed it.

We didn't stay long after dinner even though HS had EMH that night. We caught up some more back at Pop (I hadn't seen them since our Disney trip last year) and called it a night.

Bella's picture

Hahaha! Duffy! Has Julie seen this? She might die!

mickey Bella

Bella's picture

I am loving your TR! That is so cool you got to meet Lizzy! I am counting down the days til I can meet her!

mickey Bella

LOL, yes Bella, I saw the Duffy picture, and I politely refrained from comment wink JoAnn looked very happy with him so I left it alone. Wait til the dh joins the forum officially, you'll know it's him, he spent days thinking up a "handle"!

Julie

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust

Lizzy_B's picture

Julie wrote:
LOL, yes Bella, I saw the Duffy picture, and I politely refrained from comment wink JoAnn looked very happy with him so I left it alone. Wait til the dh joins the forum officially, you'll know it's him, he spent days thinking up a "handle"!

Bahahaha! That's fabulous!

Bella wrote:
I am loving your TR! That is so cool you got to meet Lizzy! I am counting down the days til I can meet her!

Awh, Bella - I can't wait! Instead of having roses, we'll have to wear our pearls to find each other! AOT! Wink

JoAnn - GREAT TR! You've done so many neat things that I've never seen, like pics of Tusker House (forgive me if others have been posted) and taking in the game at ESPN! Thanks so much for sharing...and again, it was so lovely to get a chance to meet! (Pssst...I'm a Steelers fan, too Smile )

JoAnn C's picture

Day 4
After breakfast at Pop we were off for the Magic Kingdom. We arrived as rope drop was ending and headed straight for The Haunted Mansion and the new queue.

A trip to Frontierland was next with back to back rides on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, followed by a trip to Tom Sawyer's Island.

A prisoner at Fort Langhorn.

Character sighting!!

We didn't have a lot of time before our lunch ADR at Liberty Tree Tavern so we checked in at the restaurant and talked about more hometown gossip. After lunch we watched the Main Street Philharmonic.

My friends had never been on the People Mover so we made a quick trip to Tomorrowland before heading back to the resort for a couple of hours by the pool.

Dinner tonight was at Le Cellier. My meal was good but not two dining credits good. I may have had a different opinion if the restaurant didn't smell like fish. That was a turn off for me.

After dinner we walked from Canada to the UK and called my mom to sing happy birthday to her. We had some time before Illuminations, so we walked around Epcot including a stop at Club Cool. Since none of us had experienced this before, I filled three cups with the Beverly so we could all try it together. We were all in agreement it had the after taste of baby aspirin.

We did some shopping in the Mouse Gears store (I bought a Lady and The Tramp ornament). It was back to World Showcase for Illuminations.

JoAnn C's picture

Day 5

Today we're off to Animal Kingdom. We immediately headed to Expedition Everest.

It wasn't running yet, so we grab fast passes and went to Dinoland.

The first ride we went on was Primeval Whirl. This ride will go on the "I can say I did it and never have to do it again" list. It reminded of a carnival ride which I'm not a big fan of. After Primeval Whirl, we went to Dinosaur. Loved it! Before going back to Expedition Everest, we rode Tricera Top Spin. We had about 10 minutes before our fast pass time, so we walked around the gift shop. Following two rides on Everest, we had some time before our lunch ADR at Yak & Yeti so we walked around Asia, including Maharajah Jungle Trek. Here kitty, kitty...

Lunch was good. The waiter gave us each a fast pass for Everest to use any time during the day (score!). We weren't ready for another ride so soon after lunch. We walked to Africa. On our way, we spotted Ms DeVine as she was making her appearance.

We practically walked right on to Kilimanjaro Safaris.

My friends wanted to go back to the resort to relax by the pool. I wanted to ride Everest again (ok, three times " they gave me their fast passes). We parted ways. Since I was in the area, I walked through Pangani Forest Exploration Trail.

I explored that area of the park some more, including a trip to Camp Mickey-Minnie. The lines were long so I only got my picture taken with Thumper and Ms. Bunny. I made my way back to Expedition Everest but not before stopping by It's Tough to be a Bug.

I used the first of the three fast passes and realized two more times may be a bit much. I'm not young anymore. It was time to call it a day. I gave the two remaining passes to the first newlywed couple I saw. They were very excited and thanked me for the wedding gift. Back to Pop I went.
I rested a bit before freshening up for dinner at Sci-Fi Drive. While waiting for the bus to DHS, we saw these double rainbows.

I didn't stay at the park after dinner. A friend who lives north of Orlando was meeting me at the resort to visit for a little while. I hadn't seen her in about 17 years. It was nice catching up. She didn't stay long. Her daughter was with her and she had school the next day. We took some pictures by the tree in the lobby and said our good byes.

As I was heading back to my room, Illuminations was going on at Epcot. I was hoping the pictures came out better. Here is the view from the walkway by my room.

Great trip report, JoAnn! and 3 FP ride son Everest?!?! Soooo jealous! laugh

Nice animal pics too!!

Jess's picture

Great pics from animal kingdom....We didn't do either of the animal paths...just the safari...now i'm kinda wishing we had cause I could of seen lions and gorillas like i wanted to

Kristen K.'s picture

Love that picture of Di Vine!