Just getting there

Login to post comments
25 posts / 0 new
figgy's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/15/2013
Posts: 819
Just getting there

I've been asked more than a few times "why do you drive?" Well we have quite a few reasons. Money, it's way cheaper than 4 adult air fares. Even with a stop at the motel it's way cheaper and we always have more than enough vacation time (next trip 4 weeks off) I have an autistic child and he doesn't handle public transportation well with the exception of the monorail. We make the ride fun portable DVD players, hand held video games and silly road games (who can find different state license plates etc). Those are a few of mine. So do you drive or fly and why?

__________________

August 2016 here we come!

NikkiMouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/19/2015
Posts: 526

Fly!! I always think it seems like a fun road trip, but my husband insists that he will have to drop my dead body off in the Carolinas somewhere after I have asked him to stop every hour for a bathroom trip. I am fairly certain he will not follow through, but why take the risk? biggrin

__________________

figgy's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/15/2013
Posts: 819

NikkiMouse wrote:
Fly!! I always think it seems like a fun road trip, but my husband insists that he will have to drop my dead body off in the Carolinas somewhere after I have asked him to stop every hour for a bathroom trip. I am fairly certain he will not follow through, but why take the risk? biggrin

awesome rolling

__________________

August 2016 here we come!

Mousedreaming's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/11/2014
Posts: 367

We always fly. It would be very difficult for DH to get off more than a week, and with four days of driving(2 there, 2 back), that would only leave 3 full days at my favorite place.

__________________

*Proud Disney Nut*

The Watchmaker's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/08/2014
Posts: 1802

Unfortunately we can't drive..Our car isn't water tight.. waiting

Mousedreaming's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/11/2014
Posts: 367

The Watchmaker wrote:
Unfortunately we can't drive..Our car isn't water tight.. waiting

You should look into the amphicars at The Boathouse. waiting

__________________

*Proud Disney Nut*

figgy's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/15/2013
Posts: 819

The Watchmaker wrote:
Unfortunately we can't drive..Our car isn't water tight.. waiting

I thought you'd just get a boat and start singing row, row, row....... to save some money! waiting

__________________

August 2016 here we come!

Allie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/26/2012
Posts: 5477

We fly because we don't have enough vacation time to tack on two days of driving at both the beginning and end of our trip. Plus I like flying and don't want to start our vacation burnt out from the road trip.

jw24's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/23/2013
Posts: 999

The thing is, I used to be a flier but I gave up on flying because I can't trust the airlines these days. Their levels of service have been going downhill and simply put, I don't think it's worth going through long security lines and then end up being in a cramped seat with limited legroom and unruly passengers in so many different shapes, sizes and genders. I can understand why people nowadays are calling planes "Greyhounds (That's the popular nationwide bus service in America, btw.) in the air". It's not worth all that hassle.

So last trip, I took the Amtrak to Florida. Granted, the only thing I didn't like was not having a comfy place to sleep in coach class but I had a lot more legroom than the normal flight and the scenery was a lot of fun to look at. Next time, I'm definitely paying for a sleeper car and I'm willing to spend more for that and I need a flat surface to sleep on.

As for driving, well, that's something I haven't ruled out in the future but it's a long trip and will definitely take a lot of time and energy. Then I have to fret about tolls, lodging and food and all that stuff. But I have to get over my fear of driving on the highway first....

__________________

"All my life I wonder how it feels to pass a day, not above them but part of them.

And out there living in the sun, give me one day out there, all I ask is one to hold forever. Out there where they all live unaware, what I'd give, what I'd dare, just to live one day out there."

Offline
Joined: 09/12/2010
Posts: 4703

When we lived in North Carolina, we drove, which was awesome! Now that we are in San Francisco, we don't have much of a choice.

I will say, when we flew a few weeks ago, we were on United and on one of their newer 737-900s, and were really impressed. The seats were really nice and comfortable, they had re-configured the overhead bins such that thy were more arched than boxy, so getting up out of the middle seat was actually possible without hitting your head, and they had electrical charges under each seat, which was really helpful for a 5 1/2 hour flight!

And we actually got in early both ways.

Offline
Joined: 03/22/2014
Posts: 552

We would consider driving to maybe save some money (though with gas and a hotel for only two of us it might be a very close call) but we just don't have enough vacation time to waste the 2-4 days.

__________________

The Watchmaker's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/08/2014
Posts: 1802

Lol..Last years flight with Virgin had all our drink included ( except champagne ) So after a few brandies i dozed off and before I knew it,we were landing in MCO...However next year we are flying with Thomas Cook on their new revamped Airbus...And we have already preordered our usual champagne ( a Disney treat we missed last year ) I find the bubbles take me to a higher altitude ... waiting

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9502

We drive from PA. Every trip. Don't like to fly. We leave on Friday morning and get there by noon Saturday. It's not a bad trip and with the amount of luggage we take it would cost a small fortune if we flew.

In June there will be 9 of us driving in 2 cars. I couldn't imagine that bill if we were flying!

The Watchmaker's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/08/2014
Posts: 1802

MrHub wrote:
We drive from PA. Every trip. Don't like to fly. We leave on Friday morning and get there by noon Saturday. It's not a bad trip and with the amount of luggage we take it would cost a small fortune if we flew.

In June there will be 9 of us driving in 2 cars. I couldn't imagine that bill if we were flying!

How many miles is that MrHub.?..I take it you have a stop over in a motel.?

figgy's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/15/2013
Posts: 819

The Watchmaker wrote:
Lol..Last years flight with Virgin had all our drink included ( except champagne ) So after a few brandies i dozed off and before I knew it,we were landing in MCO...However next year we are flying with Thomas Cook on their new revamped Airbus...And we have already preordered our usual champagne ( a Disney treat we missed last year ) I find the bubbles take me to a higher altitude ... waiting

I could say something but...... I'm too busy rolling rolling rolling rolling rolling

__________________

August 2016 here we come!

The Watchmaker's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/08/2014
Posts: 1802

figgy wrote:
The Watchmaker wrote:
Lol..Last years flight with Virgin had all our drink included ( except champagne ) So after a few brandies i dozed off and before I knew it,we were landing in MCO...However next year we are flying with Thomas Cook on their new revamped Airbus...And we have already preordered our usual champagne ( a Disney treat we missed last year ) I find the bubbles take me to a higher altitude ... waiting

I could say something but...... I'm too busy rolling rolling rolling rolling rolling

Ach ya wee fearty, ( translation from Scottish is " Don't be scared little girl." ) Lol... laugh

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9502

The Watchmaker wrote:
MrHub wrote:
We drive from PA. Every trip. Don't like to fly. We leave on Friday morning and get there by noon Saturday. It's not a bad trip and with the amount of luggage we take it would cost a small fortune if we flew.

In June there will be 9 of us driving in 2 cars. I couldn't imagine that bill if we were flying!

How many miles is that MrHub.?..I take it you have a stop over in a motel.?

About 1000 miles one way. Yes we stop overnight a a Hotel, not worth the drive all night. Usually leave on a Friday, get there Sat afternoon, stay 7 nights and drive home. Trip both ways cost about $500 with Hotel & gas. We could not fly that cheap and take all the luggage we do.

figgy's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/15/2013
Posts: 819

MrHub wrote:
The Watchmaker wrote:
MrHub wrote:
We drive from PA. Every trip. Don't like to fly. We leave on Friday morning and get there by noon Saturday. It's not a bad trip and with the amount of luggage we take it would cost a small fortune if we flew.

In June there will be 9 of us driving in 2 cars. I couldn't imagine that bill if we were flying!

How many miles is that MrHub.?..I take it you have a stop over in a motel.?

About 1000 miles one way. Yes we stop overnight a a Hotel, not worth the drive all night. Usually leave on a Friday, get there Sat afternoon, stay 7 nights and drive home. Trip both ways cost about $500 with Hotel & gas. We could not fly that cheap and take all the luggage we do.

We're about the same distance and it about $350 for gas and lodging last trip. 40 MPG the whole way awesome

__________________

August 2016 here we come!

The Watchmaker's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/08/2014
Posts: 1802

Wow..That's a lot of miles driving but saving you a fortune...I'll never forget driving from Los Angeles to Vegas...There was six of us and my brother in law had this Lincoln Continental...Jeez..It seemed forever..We stopped at a wee place called Barstow (I think that was its name ) Stepped out for lunch at a Greek restaurant and the heat was unbearable ...lol....

figgy's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/15/2013
Posts: 819

The Watchmaker wrote:
Wow..That's a lot of miles driving but saving you a fortune...I'll never forget driving from Los Angeles to Vegas...There was six of us and my brother in law had this Lincoln Continental...Jeez..It seemed forever..We stopped at a wee place called Barstow (I think that was its name ) Stepped out for lunch at a Greek restaurant and the heat was unbearable ...lol....

You taught us well a penny saved is a penny to be spent at Disney! muchlove clapping mickey

__________________

August 2016 here we come!

fmknightuk's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/23/2012
Posts: 259

The Watchmaker wrote:
We stopped at a wee place called Barstow (I think that was its name ) Stepped out for lunch at a Greek restaurant and the heat was unbearable ...lol....

Random fact - My aunt and uncle used to live in Barstow and I spent a couple of weeks with them once visiting DisneyLand and the Grand Canyon. It was my first ever visit to the USA awesome

__________________

Fiona

Sid Man's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/06/2014
Posts: 528

The Watchmaker wrote:
Unfortunately we can't drive..Our car isn't water tight.. waiting

I don't have Herbie on hand either...plus it'd take all of my leave just to try and drive to the States from Blightly...

__________________

Yes, that's me in the profile pic...kudos for guessing the movie...

Find me on Facebook

The Watchmaker's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/08/2014
Posts: 1802

fmknightuk wrote:
The Watchmaker wrote:
We stopped at a wee place called Barstow (I think that was its name ) Stepped out for lunch at a Greek restaurant and the heat was unbearable ...lol....

Random fact - My aunt and uncle used to live in Barstow and I spent a couple of weeks with them once visiting DisneyLand and the Grand Canyon. It was my first ever visit to the USA awesome

See...It is a small world after all.. awesome

Sid Man's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/06/2014
Posts: 528

The Watchmaker wrote:
Wow..That's a lot of miles driving but saving you a fortune...I'll never forget driving from Los Angeles to Vegas...There was six of us and my brother in law had this Lincoln Continental...Jeez..It seemed forever..We stopped at a wee place called Barstow (I think that was its name ) Stepped out for lunch at a Greek restaurant and the heat was unbearable ...lol....

I did Vegas to SF via LA and Carmel...other than about 60 miles, I did ALL of the driving although we did stop in LA for 4 days (I still drove everyone everywhere!) and Carmel overnight. I was glad to get shot of the car in SF!

__________________

Yes, that's me in the profile pic...kudos for guessing the movie...

Find me on Facebook

Sid Man's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/06/2014
Posts: 528

The Watchmaker wrote:

See...It is a small world after all.. awesome

Dammit, now I have that pesky song in my head...!! >_<

__________________

Yes, that's me in the profile pic...kudos for guessing the movie...

Find me on Facebook