Star Wars Weekends--new dining option opened 3/26

Login to post comments
8 posts / 0 new
alicemouse's picture
Star Wars Weekends--new dining option opened 3/26

Hi all, surely there is a thread about Star Wars Weekends from a previous year, but I didn't find it, so I thought I would start one for this year awhile. So, we're going to our first Star Wars weekend May 16-18. I was at HS for a few hours in the evening on a Star Wars weekend day last year, but all of the events were over for the day and all I really did was go to Darth's Mall and get a picture with Luke Skywalker, so I'm basically a SWW newbie!! Since we're going for the first weekend, I won't have the advantage of reading about opening weekend on the boards and various fan sites. Some questions that I've come across so far are:

Do all events (parades, presentations, fireworks) run on all three days? Are the events on each day similar?

Follow-up: Would you plan to spend all 3 days at HS or do you dedicate one day to SWW and the rest to other parks? We're only traveling Thurs.-Mon., so Fri., Sat., and Sun. are our only full days and we have ADR's at non-HS parks for two of our full days.

There's a "motorcade" on the schedule for 11am. Is that the parade or is the parade at a more traditional 3:00?

How early would you recommend being at HS for rope drop and what should we give priority to once in the gate? FP for autographs seems to be important. Is there anything else we should be prepared to line-up early and wait for?

Where have the M&G locations been in the past? I saw Luke Skywalker at Darth's Mall, but there must be others.

Does anyone have any other tips for a smooth SWW?

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

We hit HS during a SWW last year. Don't wear a Star Trek uniform.
BB

alicemouse's picture

BuffaloBill wrote:
We hit HS during a SWW last year. Don't wear a Star Trek uniform.
BB

rolling rolling

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

designedbydisney's picture

Hi Alice

I would get to rope drop depending on your interest, die hard fans get there hours ahead because they want to run to darth mall for the exculsive merchandise and sign up for the meet and greats with the movie stars. The only thing with massive lines was the the character meet and greats, I would get to rope drop 45 minutes early as usual and head first to any characters you wanna meet, Mickey and pals I'm star was get ups, vader, boba fett are very popular. Special event merch and food also sells out fast.

I would be hanging around sunset bolivard up or 1 hour befor the parade with was about 11 and sitting ready as soon as others do, something to remember is that a lot of people in the park as Star Wars fans and also first timers, so you will have the jump on them. I would grab a star tours fast pass plus if you can, although I feel disney should remove this from fast pass for the weekends. Attractions were all mostly walk ons, we didn't stay for the night time as we were there the day of the 24 hour day.

I hope this help and may the force be with you

PreviewAttachmentSize
image.jpg
image.jpg136.57 KB
The Colonel's picture

I'm not a big SW fanatic so I just walked around soaking it in. Rather than waiting on the sick lines for autographs! I just "stole" pictures from the side. I will say that was one of the toughest parades to get a good spot at.

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

alicemouse's picture

If anyone else is going to SWW this year, news broke this morning about SW Character dining packages. Dinner @ Hollywood & Vine for $60 with Jedi Mickey & friends or breakfast @ Sci-fi (with SW clips!!) with Darth Vader and friends for $48.

Booking is open NOW. Meals are supposed to be available during the week, too, but the ones on the weekend are going to go fast!

If you're going to book and you are DVC, call member services instead of WDW.

I am beyond excited about seeing this soon enough to take advantage of the offer. I hope anyone else who tries has good luck also!

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:

The Colonel's picture

you can dine with these guys...

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

Mandy's picture

If you want fastpass for the autographs, you gotta get there the night before. The serious Star Wars folks camp out, I saw them as early as 5 pm. Last year the dark side was by Backlot Tour. So Darth Vader, Darth Maul and the bounty hunters were on that side of the park while the good side was over by Star Tours. The motorcade is the parade. If they are doing Hyperspace Hoopla this year, you'll want to get there early for it if you want a good spot.