Where to renew vows in disney?

Login to post comments
23 posts / 0 new
RobynPrincess's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/14/2010
Posts: 2859
Where to renew vows in disney?

My hubby and I are intending to renew our vows on our balcony at disney later this year, (You may have read this already in another thread). We have a room already but we don't have a nice view for pictures in the background... It's a value pool view at AKL, I know it's a pool view as we have a HA for my mum and I know the only HA value overlooks the pool.

So my question is, where would you choose out of all of the DVC properties to do it? I have discounted BLT as there is no balcony on the living area bit, just a window whereas I'd really like a balcony... Could do AKL in a savanna view but randy thinks there aren't many great places for pictures at AKL. If it helps, I'd like it to be somewhere with enough space I could invite a few people there if they would like to be!

I know disney don't usually like you do wedding things that aren't through them but I have it with the officiant that he has a deal with disney as long as it's in our own room Wink

Thanks for your input!

Xxxxx

__________________

Our Very Merry 24 nighter Nov/Dec 15
Watson's go West May 15
The one with all the birthdays Oct 14 4 Big Birthdays and a Vow Renewal thrown in
The OMG trip June 14 30th Birthday present from the hubs
Girly trip March 14 A last min cheapy week
September 13 our first all DVC stay
TR May 2013 the last min bargain trip offsite
Oct 2012 TR with a cruise!big family trip featuring the beach club, AKL, the dream and a villa offsite
TR on a budget May - June 2011offsite condo
TR Sept - Oct 2010 big family trip in an offsite villa

JMUDukz's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2012
Posts: 822

Just throwing out ideas....

If you wanted to do AKL, what about doing it on the balcony at the Savannah overlooks?? It's not technically in your room, but it's not REALLY out in public and you could be discreet about it. Of course, random people (like me) would stop and watch, so maybe not...

What about BWI or BC and have pictures of the entire boardwalk in the background?

__________________

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

RobynPrincess's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/14/2010
Posts: 2859

JMUDukz wrote:
Just throwing out ideas....

If you wanted to do AKL, what about doing it on the balcony at the Savannah overlooks?? It's not technically in your room, but it's not REALLY out in public and you could be discreet about it. Of course, random people (like me) would stop and watch, so maybe not...

What about BWI or BC and have pictures of the entire boardwalk in the background?

Well... I really don't want to be told off lol I would be panicking and not enjoying the moment, I had already thought of there you see Wink but saying that, we did make friends with a manager at AKL so maybe a word in the ear (or email) might confirm that disney could look the other way... Might be a way round it Smile but then I wouldn't want to get her in trouble...

BWI and BC I thought of, what are the 1 bed rooms like?

__________________

Our Very Merry 24 nighter Nov/Dec 15
Watson's go West May 15
The one with all the birthdays Oct 14 4 Big Birthdays and a Vow Renewal thrown in
The OMG trip June 14 30th Birthday present from the hubs
Girly trip March 14 A last min cheapy week
September 13 our first all DVC stay
TR May 2013 the last min bargain trip offsite
Oct 2012 TR with a cruise!big family trip featuring the beach club, AKL, the dream and a villa offsite
TR on a budget May - June 2011offsite condo
TR Sept - Oct 2010 big family trip in an offsite villa

The Colonel's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/08/2012
Posts: 2940

The Gazebo on the Boardwalk or The Lighthouse pier in from of the Yacht Club.

__________________

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1560

I don't understand. How would renewing vows be against any rules? People get engaged all the time at various places in WDW for example. I think the last thing anyone would do, especially a CM would be to interrupt someone renewing wedding vows. If people see any type of formal or informal ceremony going on between a couple, they will most likely just give you some space. I know I would.

I say just pick a spot you like and go for it.

The roof of the Contemporary would be cool. The observation deck outside of CG is large enough for a small group and the view of MK is really good.

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1560

The Colonel wrote:
The Gazebo on the Boardwalk or The Lighthouse pier in from of the Yacht Club.

Yes, that is also a really nice spot!

JMUDukz's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2012
Posts: 822

KenJ wrote:
I don't understand. How would renewing vows be against any rules? People get engaged all the time at various places in WDW for example. I think the last thing anyone would do, especially a CM would be to interrupt someone renewing wedding vows. If people see any type of formal or informal ceremony going on between a couple, they will most likely just give you some space. I know I would.

I say just pick a spot you like and go for it.

The roof of the Contemporary would be cool. The observation deck outside of CG is large enough for a small group and the view of MK is really good.

My guess (and it is just a guess, b/c renewing my vows isn't something I really have to worry about at this point so I don't have any first hand knowledge) is that part of it is b/c Disney wants you to book a package through them. An engagement is a quick event whereas a vow renewal may end up being more of a ceremony, with people to witness it and a little longer while the officiant says some words and then you exchange your vows. If Disney just starts letting everyone get married or have a ceremony where ever/whenever they want, it could interrupt the flow of traffic, cause disruptions, etc. For instance, can you imagine if someone wanted to have a ceremony somewhere in the park and just DID it? People would stop to watch and take pics, a crowd would gather, crowd control and flow could turn into a nightmare, particularly if it was a busy time. There are plenty of stories of people who have done it, but most of them are done on the DL without official Disney "knowledge".

I would think though, that if it was just the couple and the officiant and maybe 1-2 other people, you could probably do it on the sly somewhere, like the beach at the Beach Club without attracting too much attention. But Robyn is right, if you do it outside your room and it's against Disney's official policy, you do run the risk of a CM trying to shut you down and then that would just ruin the moment.

__________________

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

alicemouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/22/2013
Posts: 2832

The room we just had at Saratoga (Springs 3623) would be nice because the balcony is centered on one of the springs, but it's not HA. Also, it's very picturesque, but not very "Disney". Pending construction patterns, on the beach at the Polynesian? Out near the boat docks at GF?

If you want to try to find a secluded place in a park, EPCOT in Italy (heck, the Ziti sisters did an impromptu vow renewal for us last month!), UK, or Canada right after WS opening might be nice and I feel like it would be fairly easy to be discreet at those places if your ceremony wont' be super long or complex.

Those are just off the top of my head--not sure if they fit with the feel that you're going for or not. I'm sure you'll find a place that is perfect for the two of you!

__________________

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

crazycatperson's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/19/2011
Posts: 3718

There's another thread around here somewhere that mentions it's against Disney rules to do a wedding or vow renewal on Disney property without going through official Disney channels. Except inside your own room, apparently. I'm sure a moderator will be along eventually to keep us all in line with the rules.

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1560

JMUDukz wrote:
KenJ wrote:
I don't understand. How would renewing vows be against any rules? People get engaged all the time at various places in WDW for example. I think the last thing anyone would do, especially a CM would be to interrupt someone renewing wedding vows. If people see any type of formal or informal ceremony going on between a couple, they will most likely just give you some space. I know I would.

I say just pick a spot you like and go for it.

The roof of the Contemporary would be cool. The observation deck outside of CG is large enough for a small group and the view of MK is really good.

My guess (and it is just a guess, b/c renewing my vows isn't something I really have to worry about at this point so I don't have any first hand knowledge) is that part of it is b/c Disney wants you to book a package through them. An engagement is a quick event whereas a vow renewal may end up being more of a ceremony, with people to witness it and a little longer while the officiant says some words and then you exchange your vows. If Disney just starts letting everyone get married or have a ceremony where ever/whenever they want, it could interrupt the flow of traffic, cause disruptions, etc. For instance, can you imagine if someone wanted to have a ceremony somewhere in the park and just DID it? People would stop to watch and take pics, a crowd would gather, crowd control and flow could turn into a nightmare, particularly if it was a busy time. There are plenty of stories of people who have done it, but most of them are done on the DL without official Disney "knowledge".

I would think though, that if it was just the couple and the officiant and maybe 1-2 other people, you could probably do it on the sly somewhere, like the beach at the Beach Club without attracting too much attention. But Robyn is right, if you do it outside your room and it's against Disney's official policy, you do run the risk of a CM trying to shut you down and then that would just ruin the moment.

Ah, I see. I've never seen a vow renewal before so I guess I had in my mind that it's quite different than an actual wedding ceremony (being much shorter in length, smaller in scale and perhaps just the couple and one or two witnesses). If it's the same as a full blown wedding ceremony, I can understand the issue.

alicemouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/22/2013
Posts: 2832

Aw that's a bummer! I mean, I understand why they have to be fussy about such things because it could get out of hand really quickly, but it seems that if you are discreet and you're not interfering with the other guests that they could let it slide.

Ken--I was kind of on the same wavelength with you. I'm picturing 5 minutes or less of "ceremony", snap a few pics, and everyone has a nice day. Certainly your ability to pull something like this off is extremely dependent on the scale of what you're planning!

__________________

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1560

alicemouse wrote:

Ken--I was kind of on the same wavelength with you. I'm picturing 5 minutes or less of "ceremony", snap a few pics, and everyone has a nice day.

That perfectly describes what I had pictured as a vow renewal.

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23803

crazycatperson wrote:
There's another thread around here somewhere that mentions it's against Disney rules to do a wedding or vow renewal on Disney property without going through official Disney channels. Except inside your own room, apparently. I'm sure a moderator will be along eventually to keep us all in line with the rules.

Hat Here I am - the voice of Doom!

Walt Disney World is private property and hence has the "right" to say what happens on its grounds. Wedding/Vow Renewal events that have not gone through Disney Fairy Tale Weddings are not sanctioned with the exception of the packages that you can have done on 'Characters in Flight.' If you get caught you can be ejected from the property and hit with a No Trespassing, Disney actually issues lots of these every year for various reasons. I am in no way encouraging "covert" ceremonies because they are against the rules (but they have been known to happen).

yeah

That being said - I am more than happy to talk about DVC properties that I think have beautiful views and balconies. Most DVC balconies are actually pretty small and don't make for a very good "stage." Those that do don't have great views or aren't very private.

I think that I personally would have to chose the Grand Floridian Villas with a Lagoon View. The resort grounds are lovely, it offers a double/triple balcony with the larger rooms, the rooms are stunning with a formal flair and the lagoon view is fairly private. You can check out the floor plans here http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resorts/grand-floridian/maps-a-photos

Don't you own there too?

In my opinion though the best space available to gather a group of people for a party is indeed the MK view Grand Villa at Bay Lake Tower. Because of it's 2-story design and open living room there is room for everyone to look out the big picture window and see whatever may be happening in front of it.

alicemouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/22/2013
Posts: 2832

OOH! I was actually thinking Characters in Flight! But when we were on it, they were very specific about where everyone needed to stand to keep the weight balanced, so I didn't think the balloon operators would be on board with having any kind of ceremony take place on the balloon. It's really cool that they do special packages just for vow renewals and the like!

__________________

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23803

alicemouse wrote:
OOH! I was actually thinking Characters in Flight! But when we were on it, they were very specific about where everyone needed to stand to keep the weight balanced, so I didn't think the balloon operators would be on board with having any kind of ceremony take place on the balloon. It's really cool that they do special packages just for vow renewals and the like!

Yep! Here's a link to the company that provides them they also do them on the deck at Fulton's and at the House of Blues.
http://sensationalceremonies.com/locations-weddings/central-florida/intimate-weddings/characters-in-flight/

h0ney227's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/30/2013
Posts: 547

I'm putting in my vote for either BWV or BCV. I think it would be spectacular to have a Boardwalk view for a vow renewal.

__________________

taratru's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/26/2012
Posts: 556

Are you talking pics afterwards that are nice? OKW's grounds are so lush and green, I think you could easily find multiple venues...and with the boats and water options, lots of views.

You could probably ask for a room with a balcony that overlooks something pretty as well - aren't the 1 bedroom balconies relatively big?

__________________

RobynPrincess's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/14/2010
Posts: 2859

We have to be careful about where we can have pictures afterwards as Randy works closely with Disney and disney weddings don't want more than 1 wedding party in the same place at the same time... So I'm not sure about the wedding pavilion...

Kristen we do own at VGF but the 1 beds are pretty pricey on the point front, and I don't want them to then say we can't have pictures in the hotel cause there's another wedding party there Sad would be a waste of those points. Maybe you are right about BLT though, might be more room for everyone in the big living room there...

So many good suggestions! Thanks so much everyone Laughing out loud

__________________

Our Very Merry 24 nighter Nov/Dec 15
Watson's go West May 15
The one with all the birthdays Oct 14 4 Big Birthdays and a Vow Renewal thrown in
The OMG trip June 14 30th Birthday present from the hubs
Girly trip March 14 A last min cheapy week
September 13 our first all DVC stay
TR May 2013 the last min bargain trip offsite
Oct 2012 TR with a cruise!big family trip featuring the beach club, AKL, the dream and a villa offsite
TR on a budget May - June 2011offsite condo
TR Sept - Oct 2010 big family trip in an offsite villa

crazycatperson's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/19/2011
Posts: 3718

taratru wrote:
Are you talking pics afterwards that are nice? OKW's grounds are so lush and green, I think you could easily find multiple venues...and with the boats and water options, lots of views.

You could probably ask for a room with a balcony that overlooks something pretty as well - aren't the 1 bedroom balconies relatively big?

We had a lovely view of a tree-lined golf course fairway when we stayed at OKW. The balcony could easily have held the couple, the officiant, and a guest or three, and additional guests watching from inside the living room/kitchen area would have a good view of what was happening on the balcony, assuming we're just talking a few people.

Here are a couple of photos. I don't have one of the balcony or of the view of the balcony from the living room. But the balcony-side windows are as big as the ones in the first photo, and then there's the actual glass balcony doors as well. The balcony was to the left in the first photo. The second photo shows the view from the balcony.

PreviewAttachmentSize
okwlivingroom.jpg
okwlivingroom.jpg189.72 KB
photo10231711.jpg
photo10231711.jpg406.49 KB
Offline
Joined: 01/13/2014
Posts: 7

For view I would totally vote for Boardwalk - the pictures on the Boardwalk afterwards would be amazing - we had our engagement shoot with Regina there at sunset in November just gone and it was absolutely perfect!

__________________

RobynPrincess's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/14/2010
Posts: 2859

I have totally reworked and rebooked our stay, we are now at kidani in a 2 bed savanna room Laughing out loud we are thinking of the boardwalk area for the family's photo session afterwards though Laughing out loud

__________________

Our Very Merry 24 nighter Nov/Dec 15
Watson's go West May 15
The one with all the birthdays Oct 14 4 Big Birthdays and a Vow Renewal thrown in
The OMG trip June 14 30th Birthday present from the hubs
Girly trip March 14 A last min cheapy week
September 13 our first all DVC stay
TR May 2013 the last min bargain trip offsite
Oct 2012 TR with a cruise!big family trip featuring the beach club, AKL, the dream and a villa offsite
TR on a budget May - June 2011offsite condo
TR Sept - Oct 2010 big family trip in an offsite villa

Offline
Joined: 01/13/2014
Posts: 7

Oo lovely room upgrade!! I adore the boardwalk area, it's my new favourite area of the whole World Smile I'm hoping to find points to rent for BWV for the imaginary trip I have planned for the ToT 10 miler in 2015 lol!

__________________

Magic Mirror's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/18/2012
Posts: 2994

Love AKL! Great move Robyn!~