Are You Sitting Comfortably...

Login to post comments
23 posts / 0 new
Anonymous
Are You Sitting Comfortably...

Good Monday Morning Everyone...Today's food blog has a review of DHS Sci-Fi restaurant...A place I've never tried..But two things put me off...1...It looks way too dark for my likening...2...Sitting inside that little car whilst eating doesn't look that comfortable, which brings me nicely to my question today..Is there any restaurant at Disney where you feel the seats or seating arrangement could be improved...Off the top of my head, our table and seats at Le Cellier were placed to close to the next family ( I could have reached over our salt & pepper to them ) And it felt anything like a fine dining experience..I strongly believe that if your sitting comfortable at a meal, it makes the whole experience much better..Over to you fine folk.?

Princess Cupcake's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/12/2014
Posts: 226

Ugh....I just shudder looking at the pics of that place. Does not appeal at all!

__________________

designedbydisney's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/24/2013
Posts: 591

Sci fi and dine in, is awesome. Don't let the seats or light put you off. You need to go there it is a lot of fun.

RobynPrincess's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/14/2010
Posts: 2859

It's a little dark inside sci if but the seats are very comfy so don't worry on that side.

__________________

Our Very Merry 24 nighter Nov/Dec 15
Watson's go West May 15
The one with all the birthdays Oct 14 4 Big Birthdays and a Vow Renewal thrown in
The OMG trip June 14 30th Birthday present from the hubs
Girly trip March 14 A last min cheapy week
September 13 our first all DVC stay
TR May 2013 the last min bargain trip offsite
Oct 2012 TR with a cruise!big family trip featuring the beach club, AKL, the dream and a villa offsite
TR on a budget May - June 2011offsite condo
TR Sept - Oct 2010 big family trip in an offsite villa

Bibi's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/20/2014
Posts: 43

One of my favorite restaurants in the WDW!
The atmosphere is awesome and the food is good too!

__________________

1996 - off proprety
1999 - Disneyland dream
2009 - All Star Sports
2010 - Boardwalk Inn
2011 - Pop Century
2012 - PORS
2013 - POFQ
2014 - CBR

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23803

I was unsure about Sci-fi too, but we loved it. It's not so good for a large party of people, and if you wanted to have a conversation with your group about the day it's not the right place. However for 2-4 people who are looking for something fun and different it's pretty cool.

Spook's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/27/2012
Posts: 2786

We're planning on going to Sci fi in October mickey
I can't think of any place we've been to that had bad seating.

oldtink's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/11/2014
Posts: 867

Philhowelldesign wrote:
Sci fi and dine in, is awesome. Don't let the seats or light put you off. You need to go there it is a lot of fun.

My SH is 6'6" and he did not like the seating there because the leg room was lacking. In addition, if your party is more than 2 you sit in car seats of two all facing the screen. He found it was very hard to have conversation.

__________________

"At some point in life you have to decide if you're the Tigger or the Eeyore."...Randy Pausch

"George Banks and all he stands for will be saved. Maybe not in life, but in imagination. Because that's what we storytellers do. We restore order with imagination. We instill hope again and again and again." Walt Disney

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9499

If you don't want to sit in the cars, you can sit at one of the "Saucer tables" or umbrella tables in the back. We have sat there several times.

kormelmer's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/01/2011
Posts: 107

I'm 6'2" and had a hard time with leg room. The atmosphere is cool though.

__________________

We've stayed at:
Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, Beach/Yacht Club, Old Key West Resort, Port Orleans (Riverside & French Quarter), Coronado Springs, Boardwalk Inn, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Pop Century, All Star (Music & Sports).

King Fergus

mrhub wrote:
If you don't want to sit in the cars, you can sit at one of the "Saucer tables" or umbrella tables in the back. We have sat there several times.

Yeh, I saw the photos of the saucer tables..Remind me of my bar stools I have at my breakfast bar in our kitchen..Ok for a short while..Wouldn't mind having a burger whilst sitting on them,but not a long meal..

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9499

King Fergus wrote:
mrhub wrote:
If you don't want to sit in the cars, you can sit at one of the "Saucer tables" or umbrella tables in the back. We have sat there several times.

Yeh, I saw the photos of the saucer tables..Remind me of my bar stools I have at my breakfast bar in our kitchen..Ok for a short while..Wouldn't mind having a burger whilst sitting on them,but not a long meal..

I don't know what you saw, the tables I'm referring to have bench type seats and the tables are round with a large umbrella saucer in the middle, basically like patio furniture.

PreviewAttachmentSize
image.jpg
image.jpg110.66 KB
King Fergus

mrhub wrote:
King Fergus wrote:
mrhub wrote:
If you don't want to sit in the cars, you can sit at one of the "Saucer tables" or umbrella tables in the back. We have sat there several times.

Yeh, I saw the photos of the saucer tables..Remind me of my bar stools I have at my breakfast bar in our kitchen..Ok for a short while..Wouldn't mind having a burger whilst sitting on them,but not a long meal..

I don't know what you saw, the tables I'm referring to have bench type seats and the tables are round with a large umbrella saucer in the middle, basically like patio furniture.

Nope...These are different...Photos were a light blue bar stool...These look more comfortable...

Eeyore's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/22/2012
Posts: 1120

I can't think of an uncomfortable restaurant in WDW. I love Sci-Fi as well. It's kinda dark because you're in a "drive-in movie theater"....it's kinda the point....to make you feel as if you're really outside eating under the stars.

JanJ's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/14/2013
Posts: 1681

Eeyore wrote:
I can't think of an uncomfortable restaurant in WDW. I love Sci-Fi as well. It's kinda dark because you're in a "drive-in movie theater"....it's kinda the point....to make you feel as if you're really outside eating under the stars.

I totally agree!! awesome

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1557

Eeyore wrote:
I can't think of an uncomfortable restaurant in WDW. I love Sci-Fi as well. It's kinda dark because you're in a "drive-in movie theater"....it's kinda the point....to make you feel as if you're really outside eating under the stars.

awesome

crazycatperson's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/19/2011
Posts: 3716

I am 4'10" and find many restaurant chairs too large for me. Either I can't put my feet fully on the floor, or I can't sit all the way back in the chair without slouching backwards, or both. So I end up sitting on the front edge of the seat with my back resting on nothing. If it's a booth, I'm really screwed because I can't even scoot my chair back so I can sit on the edge of the seat. I realize it's impossible to make a chair that suits everyone, but it's still annoying and occasionally uncomfortable.

Princess Cupcake's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/12/2014
Posts: 226

crazycatperson wrote:
I am 4'10" and find many restaurant chairs too large for me. Either I can't put my feet fully on the floor, or I can't sit all the way back in the chair without slouching backwards, or both. So I end up sitting on the front edge of the seat with my back resting on nothing. If it's a booth, I'm really screwed because I can't even scoot my chair back so I can sit on the edge of the seat. I realize it's impossible to make a chair that suits everyone, but it's still annoying and occasionally uncomfortable.

I hear ya! I'm a bit taller (5'3), but my legs and arms are super short, so I always find myself swinging my legs like a little kid when sitting back in a chair! My kids tease me about my prehistoric T-Rex arms. silly

__________________

Ollie's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/28/2011
Posts: 1039

Quite a few of the restaurants are a bit crowded in. Le Cellier was the worst. Maybe different now. Probably not.

__________________

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
J. R. R. Tolkien

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9499

Ollie wrote:
Quite a few of the restaurants are a bit crowded in. Le Cellier was the worst. Maybe different now. Probably not.

No the last time we were in Le Cellier, November of 2012, the tables were close enough you could bump elbows with the next table if you were not careful. I never noticed how really small that restaurant was until then. The mirrors make it very deceiving.

oldtink's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/11/2014
Posts: 867

mrhub wrote:
Ollie wrote:
Quite a few of the restaurants are a bit crowded in. Le Cellier was the worst. Maybe different now. Probably not.

No the last time we were in Le Cellier, November of 2012, the tables were close enough you could bump elbows with the next table if you were not careful. I never noticed how really small that restaurant was until then. The mirrors make it very deceiving.

LOL my DH is devouring the food so fast, he would have to look up.

__________________

"At some point in life you have to decide if you're the Tigger or the Eeyore."...Randy Pausch

"George Banks and all he stands for will be saved. Maybe not in life, but in imagination. Because that's what we storytellers do. We restore order with imagination. We instill hope again and again and again." Walt Disney

jw24's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/23/2013
Posts: 999

Although I haven't dined there myself, I can see Biergarten seating arrangement as being rather uncomfortable for some. I mean, for large groups, it maybe not a problem but for a solo diner or a couple just wanting to enjoy a meal by themselves, yeah, having to share a table with complete strangers is a culture shock and may be uncomfortable in that regard. Some are not the social type when it comes to eating...like me.

__________________

"All my life I wonder how it feels to pass a day, not above them but part of them.

And out there living in the sun, give me one day out there, all I ask is one to hold forever. Out there where they all live unaware, what I'd give, what I'd dare, just to live one day out there."

crazycatperson's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/19/2011
Posts: 3716

jw24 wrote:
Although I haven't dined there myself, I can see Biergarten seating arrangement as being rather uncomfortable for some. I mean, for large groups, it maybe not a problem but for a solo diner or a couple just wanting to enjoy a meal by themselves, yeah, having to share a table with complete strangers is a culture shock and may be uncomfortable in that regard. Some are not the social type when it comes to eating...like me.

When I travelled to WDW solo a few years ago, I got an ADR at the Biergarten because I would be seated with others. I'm not the most gregarious person in the world, but I liked the idea of not sitting all by my lonesome at a table-service restaurant. (I booked Teppan Edo for the same reason but cancelled that ADR for reasons unrelated to being seated with strangers.) At our table for 8 or 10 (can't remember), there was a group of 4 to 6 to my left, Spanish speakers, so not a lot of conversation between me and them. Seated across from me and to my right was a group of three women, mother and two daughters. I think they were more uncomfortable having me at their table than I was being at their table. They probably expected that fourth seat would be unoccupied, making their table sort of private, and then I showed up. Whatever, I still had a great meal, and I'd do it again.