*BIG* meet up Fall 2016

Login to post comments
254 posts / 0 new
crazycatperson's picture

October 15/16 is the earliest I would want to do anything, since we'd like to get annual passes and get two Food and Wine trips out of them, one at the beginning of the AP year and the other at the end.

Since October 15/16 is a weekend, if that's the cruise date I'd prefer to do the cruise first. However, I won't know whether we'll want to do a cruise until we've done our upcoming September cruise and know whether or not we like cruising. We don't have a cabin preference so if we can't book until this September it won't be a problem.

Any of the following weekends (October 22/23 and 29/30, or even early November) would also work for us, but the 15/16 weekend would satisfy both us and the Colonel.

Miss Mikki's picture

As I work in schools we were hoping to go during October half term break which is normally the last week in October. We will be booking a two week vacation as we are coming over from the UK, and this means I only have to get cover for my classes for one week of term time instead of two. So the dates suggested are ideal for us. Anytime from mid October to mid November would work.

Are we going to do the Halloween party? I have never done it before.

no ticker Sad

RobynPrincess's picture

if it's the 16th then we will cruise first, though if I'm honest I'd prefer either of the second 2 dates so we could cruise mid trip but it's more important that we can all go so I'm easy Smile

Our Very Merry 24 nighter Nov/Dec 15
Watson's go West May 15
The one with all the birthdays Oct 14 4 Big Birthdays and a Vow Renewal thrown in
The OMG trip June 14 30th Birthday present from the hubs
Girly trip March 14 A last min cheapy week
September 13 our first all DVC stay
TR May 2013 the last min bargain trip offsite
Oct 2012 TR with a cruise!big family trip featuring the beach club, AKL, the dream and a villa offsite
TR on a budget May - June 2011offsite condo
TR Sept - Oct 2010 big family trip in an offsite villa

Sid Man's picture

I'm good with those dates too...I'll work around WDW meet times as I'm likely to be in Orlando for 2 weeks, so I can get the other stuff (HP World) out of the way first...Smile

Yes, that's me in the profile pic...kudos for guessing the movie...

Find me on Facebook

DisneyDee27's picture

Mid October sounds lovely. muchlove I won't know until later this year if I get that week or more of vacation(we pick in Oct -Nov the previous year) normally October isn't a problem.

I prefer visiting Disney World first, then cruising second but will go along with the group. I'm interested in going to MNSSHP and of course meeting for the F & W. More than likely I will be interested in sharing a cabin. I plan on putting down a deposit as soon as bookings open up and then re-booking on my cruise in July. I usually stay deck 8 aft in a verandah cabin on the newer ships, it's closer to the lounges and adult clubs.

I know it seems weird but sailing a four night vs a three night makes a world of difference. The sea day helps with not feeling rushed. For those of you who have not cruised before, the time goes quickly and much like your first visit to WDW, it's bigger than you think with tons of stuff to explore. My vote is for the longer four night.

I'm excited for this meet up, thanks again Robyn for taking this and running with it awesome

Member of the 6 castle club and working to pay for my next Disney vacations: 1/5-10/18, September 2018 for my 50th and 2018 the year of Disney cruising.

Kristen K.'s picture

alicemouse wrote:
(Admins, I'm trying to tread lightly here with regard to giving out info via message board post while still answering questions that are posed. If you think that the conversation is crossing over the "no-TA speak" rule, please let me know and I'll be happy to make whatever edits you feel are necessary to any of my posts.)

Thank you! This thread is indeed walking that line. mickey

We want to be clear that anyone thinking of joining this cruise is welcome to make their reservations any way that they would like, on their own on the phone or online, or using their regular TA if they have one. We at WDWFG do not endorse any one travel agency and want to welcome both customers and travel agents from everywhere. Please note that any "word of mouth advertising" for your preferred TA needs to be done via private message.

This meet up cruise is not an official function of Walt Disney World for Grown-ups, but we encourage friendship and fun Disney travel for all. It's exciting to see you all planning your own group trip! mickey

RobynPrincess's picture

Noted Kristen! Will be careful what I post and ask in future Smile

Sooooo, you interested??

Watson's go West May 15
The one with all the birthdays Oct 14 4 Big Birthdays and a Vow Renewal thrown in
Oct 2012 TR with a cruise!big family trip featuring the beach club, AKL, the dream and a villa offsite

JMed's picture

Anytime is good for us. We usually don't have much to plan around during Sept-Dec other than hockey and that is easy enough to work around. Just keep my posted and I will be along for the ride!!! Still thinking we will be land only due to finances after taking a 7 day a few months prior to this but..... you never know what may happen.

I am getting more and more excited the more I read!

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

RobynPrincess's picture

JMed wrote:
Anytime is good for us. We usually don't have much to plan around during Sept-Dec other than hockey and that is easy enough to work around. Just keep my posted and I will be along for the ride!!! Still thinking we will be land only due to finances after taking a 7 day a few months prior to this but..... you never know what may happen.

I am getting more and more excited the more I read!

Ooooh maybe we can convince you Wink

Watson's go West May 15

Kristen K.'s picture

RobynPrincess wrote:
Sooooo, you interested??

Hahaha! I am totally interested, especially in the cruise. However finances in our house are very unsure at the moment and for me to commit would be irresponsible. It will break my heart if I can't make it, but at the moment it's a no. sad

RobynPrincess's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
RobynPrincess wrote:
Sooooo, you interested??

Hahaha! I am totally interested, especially in the cruise. However finances in our house are very unsure at the moment and for me to commit would be irresponsible. It will break my heart if I can't make it, but at the moment it's a no. sad

Awww well then I'm gonna keep all my fingers and toes crossed and hope you can change that to a yes!

Watson's go West May 15

alicemouse's picture

Hey all, Robyn has very kindly started a closed group on FB for the purpose of coordinating the trip. If you are on the interested list, make sure that you talk to her about joining that group if you're not in it already. That way we can avoid conflicts of interest on the boards and the Facebook format lends itself well to getting trip planning information back and forth quickly. Robyn what's the best way to go about adding people to that group?

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

Allie's picture

So sorry guys, I had a family emergency this weekend so I haven't been on! But I just caught up on all the conversation I missed and it seems like some things are getting narrowed down which is awesome!

alicemouse wrote:
As far as having to make a choice, I don't want to speak for Allie, but I think we're probably both in agreement that we understand that people will have to make a choice and we would never hold it against anyone or have hard feelings about someone's choice for how they book a trip. If we can help you with your booking, we're delighted to do so, but if you book on your own or with any other TA from any other agency, we're still excited to get to meet everyone!

I would recommend that if you would like for us to help you with your trip, PM one us for a phone number prior to the cruise release date. It's much quicker and easier to coordinate ad make the selections that you'll need to make over the phone than via facebook, email, or private message.

(Admins, I'm trying to tread lightly here with regard to giving out info via message board post while still answering questions that are posed. If you think that the conversation is crossing over the "no-TA speak" rule, please let me know and I'll be happy to make whatever edits you feel are necessary to any of my posts.)

Absolutely, you can definitely speak for me in that regard! There is absolutely no hard feelings or pressure to book with a specific one of us, or either of us for that matter. The meet up is going to be a blast no matter what, and as far as I'm concerned I'm just happy to help in anyway that I can. As Holly said, to keep everything PC on the boards, a PM is the best way to reach us, otherwise we both have links in our signature to our Facebook accounts or feel free to ask any questions in the Facebook group that Robyn setup. I'm getting so excited as this all is starting to come together! muchlove

RobynPrincess's picture

So I *think* this link will take you to the group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bigwdwmeetfall16

Watson's go West May 15

RobynPrincess's picture

I posted before that it looks like the sail dates will be released this Monday and it's looking more and more likely.

What I will do is start a poll Monday as soon as the dates are up and we can all vote which dates we can and can't do (I've never done a poll before, can I set it so we can choose multiple options? That was we can say all dates we would be able to do). The poll will run until later on Tuesday as booking will likely begin Wednesday for platinum and gold members and then everyone else on Thursday.

Once that part is out of the way we can get on with sorting the wdw part of the trip!

Watson's go West May 15

alicemouse's picture

RobynPrincess wrote:
I've never done a poll before, can I set it so we can choose multiple options? That was we can say all dates we would be able to do.

I just started to set one to get a feel for how it works, and it seems very user-friendly and lets you add in as many options as you want.

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

RobynPrincess's picture

alicemouse wrote:
RobynPrincess wrote:
I've never done a poll before, can I set it so we can choose multiple options? That was we can say all dates we would be able to do.

I just started to set one to get a feel for how it works, and it seems very user-friendly and lets you add in as many options as you want.

Ah brilliant! Thank you Laughing out loud

Watson's go West May 15

The Colonel's picture

will the poll be here or on FB? I'm guessing here

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

RobynPrincess's picture

The Colonel wrote:
will the poll be here or on FB? I'm guessing here

I think here would be best but I'll direct people from FB to the poll too Smile

Watson's go West May 15

alicemouse's picture

RobynPrincess wrote:
alicemouse wrote:
RobynPrincess wrote:

Ah brilliant! Thank you Laughing out loud

It just occurred to me that it might be important to note that I tried the poll feature on FB not here...but I believe that we have that function on the board, too, right?

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:

Allie's picture

Yup! Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you have to start a new thread for a poll. Up where you would select "New Topic" there is also a "New Poll" option. awesome

RobynPrincess's picture

Yeah I had a quick play on here and it seems easy to start a poll!

Watson's go West May 15

DisneyDee27's picture

awesome awesome awesome

PreviewAttachmentSize
images.jpeg
images.jpeg8.86 KB

Member of the 6 castle club and working to pay for my next Disney vacations: 1/5-10/18, September 2018 for my 50th and 2018 the year of Disney cruising.

lolastardust's picture

Wow! That conversation went so much better than I expected! I was all 'hooooneeeeeey...' and he was all 'yeeeeeessss' and then I explained about the meet-up and said, 'Would you want to go?' and he said, 'If we can', which I'm totally taking as not being a no, so I'm gonna go ahead and say we are interested, unless any major budget/planning issues come up in the meantime. Can you please add Mr and Mrs Stardust to the list? Please and thank you. Smile x

RobynPrincess's picture

lolastardust wrote:
Wow! That conversation went so much better than I expected! I was all 'hooooneeeeeey...' and he was all 'yeeeeeessss' and then I explained about the meet-up and said, 'Would you want to go?' and he said, 'If we can', which I'm totally taking as not being a no, so I'm gonna go ahead and say we are interested, unless any major budget/planning issues come up in the meantime. Can you please add Mr and Mrs Stardust to the list? Please and thank you. Smile x

Woohoo! Yay! I'll add you to the list. In the mean time click on the FB link and request to join the group (and I'll add you)

Watson's go West May 15

lolastardust's picture

RobynPrincess wrote:

Woohoo! Yay! I'll add you to the list. In the mean time click on the FB link and request to join the group (and I'll add you)

Yay, thank you Robyn, that's me joined! I'm getting more excited by the minute. Genuinely still in shock that Mr Stardust agreed to this - he's normally really cautious about holidays. yay

RobynPrincess's picture

lolastardust wrote:
RobynPrincess wrote:

Yay, thank you Robyn, that's me joined! I'm getting more excited by the minute. Genuinely still in shock that Mr Stardust agreed to this - he's normally really cautious about holidays. yay

Hell, don't question it! Just go with it Wink

Watson's go West May 15

lolastardust's picture

RobynPrincess wrote:

haha he's not getting to back out now. Poor man has unwittingly agreed to Disney holidays this year and next year, one of which will be spent partially on a big boat with people he's never met. I think he might have been a bit tired when he said yes. But there's no backing out now! Muahahaha.

Miss Mikki's picture

lolastardust wrote:
RobynPrincess wrote:

haha he's not getting to back out now. Poor man has unwittingly agreed to Disney holidays this year and next year, one of which will be spent partially on a big boat with people he's never met. I think he might have been a bit tired when he said yes. But there's no backing out now! Muahahaha.

I had the same situation with my husband!
Whenever he says "are you sure you want to go?" The Haunted Mansion voice comes into my head.
"There's no turning back now..."
Welcome to the meet up group Lola. I am getting more excited as people join the FB group as it is such a great mix of interesting people.

no ticker Sad

lolastardust's picture

Miss Mikki wrote:
lolastardust wrote:
RobynPrincess wrote:

I had the same situation with my husband!
Whenever he says "are you sure you want to go?" The Haunted Mansion voice comes into my head.
"There's no turning back now..."
Welcome to the meet up group Lola. I am getting more excited as people join the FB group as it is such a great mix of interesting people.

Thank you! Haha I'm really excited about meeting everyone too. I keep squeeing every time a new comment turns up. Genuinely thrilled we are getting the chance to go. If I hadn't got this new job we wouldn't have the money so it's really well-timed. Explained to husband that the cost would probably be quite high with the flights from the uk and he was all 'oh we'll just need to save then.' I think he's up for it though he probably won't know what to expect as he's not a forum member.