British Isles vacation 2017

Login to post comments
13 posts / 0 new
NikkiMouse's picture
British Isles vacation 2017

So in 2017 I have graciously agreed to let my husband pick our vacation destination...he did not pick WDW. However, he is really interested in going to the British Isles. I have only been to Ireland and that was about 20 years ago when I was a teenager, so I did not exactly do any planning for that. I am open to any input though I am leaning towards a cruise over a bus or self-guided tours, but like I said I am definitely open to others who have more experience.

I have unfortunately had to knock DCL off the list because of the $$$. The trip would be at least 2x the price if we went with DCL over other carriers Angry

Tips? Ideas? Suggestions?

RobynPrincess's picture

Would you not look at hiring a car and maybe going on a tour you plan yourself between car, train and internal flights? Would be a lot cheaper! You could team it with a direct train from London to Disneyland Paris for a few days Wink

Our Very Merry 24 nighter Nov/Dec 15
Watson's go West May 15
The one with all the birthdays Oct 14 4 Big Birthdays and a Vow Renewal thrown in
The OMG trip June 14 30th Birthday present from the hubs
Girly trip March 14 A last min cheapy week
September 13 our first all DVC stay
TR May 2013 the last min bargain trip offsite
Oct 2012 TR with a cruise!big family trip featuring the beach club, AKL, the dream and a villa offsite
TR on a budget May - June 2011offsite condo
TR Sept - Oct 2010 big family trip in an offsite villa

NikkiMouse's picture

RobynPrincess wrote:
Would you not look at hiring a car and maybe going on a tour you plan yourself between car, train and internal flights? Would be a lot cheaper! You could team it with a direct train from London to Disneyland Paris for a few days Wink

This is what my husband wanted to do originally. I am kind of apprehensive about it, but looking at the cruises and seeing how little time we will have in each place is making me second guess heading in the cruise direction. I have time to put a good plan together!

RobynPrincess's picture

You know there's me and a few others from the uk, we would be pleased to help you plan and offer advice!

Watson's go West May 15
The one with all the birthdays Oct 14 4 Big Birthdays and a Vow Renewal thrown in
Oct 2012 TR with a cruise!big family trip featuring the beach club, AKL, the dream and a villa offsite

NikkiMouse's picture

RobynPrincess wrote:
You know there's me and a few others from the uk, we would be pleased to help you plan and offer advice!

Thanks I appreciate it! Right now I am trying to convince him to cut back from a whirlwind 4 county tour in 14 days to something a bit more reasonable. I told him we could always go back.

Brinbunny's picture

It depends what you want to see in the UK. If you are going for the country views a car is best (we have some stunning National Parks, mountains and wide open spaces.) in cities like London and Manchester the best bet is public transport as driving takes ages to go nowhere.

Just outside London is the the Harry Potter studio tour - lots of hotels in that side of London offer coach trips, driving is also easy to there.

Wales (a beautiful country) has Doctor who tours.

There are tons of museums and galleries covering all topics known to man.....

Also close to London is 3 of our major theme parks. Thorpe park has bigger faster rides, Chessington has animals and attractions so is more family friendly, the rides are also tamer. Legoland is well... Legoland.

In the last year I've been doing a zoo tour, we have some great zoos, and down in the west we have a great Safari park.

DLP is really close - would be a shame to come so far and not hop over there. It's awesome and the Eurostar takes you straight there.

Any other questions please ask.... Makes a change for people to ask about here than me asking about your neck of the woods hahaha.

DLP is expensive. If you come into London there is a great company called London Walks that are not expensive and you don't have to book in advance and it is a great way of seeing different parts of London. As a Freeman of the City I recommend them. It really depends on what you and hubby want to do. Also if you need help with hotel recommendations for London I can help.

RobynPrincess's picture

NikkiMouse wrote:
RobynPrincess wrote:

Thanks I appreciate it! Right now I am trying to convince him to cut back from a whirlwind 4 county tour in 14 days to something a bit more reasonable. I told him we could always go back.

We can totally help you plan! And yes you can always come back, though in 14 days you can see quite a lot.

Watson's go West May 15

Kristen K.'s picture

How fantastic that you have locals here to help you pull it together!!

danijrod's picture

If you are planning to head up to the north east of England or Scotland I would be more than happy to help we have some amazing country side and sea views up here Smile and a lot of history, Beamish museum, Roman fort, Hadrians wall, alnwick gardens and castle where they filmed harry potter.

Sid Man's picture

RobynPrincess wrote:
We can totally help you plan! And yes you can always come back, though in 14 days you can see quite a lot.

Or you could be stuck in the middle of some traffic jam - that's quite normal for here! biggrin

Yes, that's me in the profile pic...kudos for guessing the movie...

Find me on Facebook

oHIo's picture

Sid Man wrote:
RobynPrincess wrote:

Or you could be stuck in the middle of some traffic jam - that's quite normal for here! biggrin

Heck we can be stuck in traffic jams in the good old U.S.A.!! rolling rolling rolling

Miss Mikki's picture

I am in Liverpool which is an amazing city with so much history and culture. We are close to North Wales and the Lake District. Happy to help with planning if you are coming to the North West.

no ticker Sad