Convince me to go on Splash Mountain

Login to post comments
35 posts / 0 new
AnnielovesDisney's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/12/2013
Posts: 887
Convince me to go on Splash Mountain

My DH and I have been Annual Pass holders for several years. We go to MK at least 30 times a year, and we have never once been on Splash Mountain eek It is all my fault too! I HATE getting wet at amusement parks. I don't mind a little wet, but I can't tolerate being medium to soaking wet. One of the reasons is because I wear jeans every day, no matter what the temp, occasion, etc... When we go tomorrow, I will have jeans on and there is nothing worse for me than walking around in soaking wet jeans, in 90 degree Florida heat and humidity. The other reason is I have very curly hair and if it gets soaking wet, it's a nightmare gaah

So, does anyone have any tips for this ride? Is there any possible seat that doesn't get too wet? I assume you get a little wetter in the front. How wet do you really get on this ride? Will we most likely be soaked? Does the top of your body get more wet than the bottom, or vice versa? If I take a few ponchos with me, will that help?

Any feedback would be appreciated because DH would LOVE to go on this ride and I really would too. I'd just like to know what to expect.

crazycatperson's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/19/2011
Posts: 3718

You won't get soaking wet. You'll be anywhere from almost completely dry to partly wet but less than half wet for sure. And most of the wet will be on your shirt, not your jeans. But yeah, your hair could get wet.

If you can, sit in the back, you'll get less wet there unless a water jet goes off at the wrong moment.

I won't do rides that threaten to get me soaked unless I dress appropriately, and for me that means a swimsuit under shorts and a T-shirt along with water shoes. So, no Kali River Rapids. But I have no problem with Splash Mountain.

Spook's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/27/2012
Posts: 2786

It's hard to say how wet you'll get. I've been on several times and have hardly gotten wet, yet other times I've gotten soaked (not Kali River Rapids soaked but pretty wet). You do get wetter in the front. However, I remember going on with my family a few years ago and my aunt sat alone in the back in the middle of the seat and the splash funnelled through the rest of us and soaked her laugh
You should be fine with ponchos. Just make sure you're also sitting on it because sometimes the seats are wet when you get on.

Just go for it! It's a great ride mickey

The Colonel's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/08/2012
Posts: 2943

It's second only to IASW for catchiest music, except that it's good catchy. It's an adorable ride. When it works.

__________________

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

AnnielovesDisney's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/12/2013
Posts: 887

Thanks for the responses. I think we're going to go ahead and ride it tomorrow biggrin I'm excited to try something new at MK!

Spook's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/27/2012
Posts: 2786

AnnielovesDisney wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I think we're going to go ahead and ride it tomorrow biggrin I'm excited to try something new at MK!

It seems so crazy to me that your something new at MK is Splash Mountain laugh
Have a great time! Let us know what you thought of it awesome

alicemouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/22/2013
Posts: 2832

We've ridden twice. The first time, we barely got wet at all. The second time, we got shot with a water cannon (that's what gets people wet--it's not the actual splash down). It was departure day. We rode around 11am and my shirt was still damp when we got off the plane in Baltimore around 8pm.

Ponchos are your friend. I wish I'd put one on that day. Instead I wrapped my poncho securely around my park bag which had my camera and phone in ziplock bags inside. This was very effective for protecting the electronics. So two ponchos are better than one. laugh

We haven't been on since that day, but it's more because I hate hilly dropping rides. The first 4-5 small drops are fun, but I hate the last one. And DH doesn't mind because he doesn't prefer to get wet.

__________________

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

AnnielovesDisney's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/12/2013
Posts: 887

Spook wrote:
AnnielovesDisney wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I think we're going to go ahead and ride it tomorrow biggrin I'm excited to try something new at MK!

It seems so crazy to me that your something new at MK is Splash Mountain laugh
Have a great time! Let us know what you thought of it awesome

It is amazing that we still have new things to experience at MK. We have been there almost 200 times in the past 6 years, but it's almost always just for a weekend. So, we may only get 10 hours or less, per visit to MK. But, even after all our visits, we just rode Peter Pan for the first time this year, we saw Country Bears for the first time last fall, and tomorrow will be our first Splash Mountain experience. I LOVE DISNEY WORLD muchlove

AnnielovesDisney's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/12/2013
Posts: 887

alicemouse wrote:
We've ridden twice. The first time, we barely got wet at all. The second time, we got shot with a water cannon (that's what gets people wet--it's not the actual splash down). It was departure day. We rode around 11am and my shirt was still damp when we got off the plane in Baltimore around 8pm.

Ponchos are your friend. I wish I'd put one on that day. Instead I wrapped my poncho securely around my park bag which had my camera and phone in ziplock bags inside. This was very effective for protecting the electronics. So two ponchos are better than one. laugh

We haven't been on since that day, but it's more because I hate hilly dropping rides. The first 4-5 small drops are fun, but I hate the last one. And DH doesn't mind because he doesn't prefer to get wet.

So, I guess you're saying we have a 50/50 chance of getting soaked?! laugh I have a few ziplocs and about 10 ponchos in the car. I think I'm ready crossfingers

King Fergus

I got wet on Space Mountain...Enough said... sad

Mrferret's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2013
Posts: 1710

If you luck into a middle or back seat and there is a person bigger than you in front my advice is just after the flash goes off for the picture duck and cover.This happened to me on a previous trip and the person in front took the splash and i stayed dry as .
The water canon just around the bend however is another matter entirely ...

__________________

Howdy Y'all
https://www.facebook.com/matthew.tucker1
Caution Content May be inappropriate

May/June 2016 Magic cruise to Norway
2017 Prtugal wedding adventures
2018 Alskan disney cruise ??
2019 Florida

King Fergus

Mrferret wrote:
If you luck into a middle or back seat and there is a person bigger than you in front my advice is just after the flash goes off for the picture duck and cover.This happened to me on a previous trip and the person in front took the splash and i stayed dry as .
The water canon just around the bend however is another matter entirely ...

Ach ya big fearty...I once saw a group of Japanese tourists all wearing ponchos in the blistering heat of July..Whit.!! eek

Mrferret's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2013
Posts: 1710

King Fergus wrote:
Mrferret wrote:
If you luck into a middle or back seat and there is a person bigger than you in front my advice is just after the flash goes off for the picture duck and cover.This happened to me on a previous trip and the person in front took the splash and i stayed dry as .
The water canon just around the bend however is another matter entirely ...

Ach ya big fearty...I once saw a group of Japanese tourists all wearing ponchos in the blistering heat of July..Whit.!! eek

4 words for ya ... Rock and Roller Coaster waiting

__________________

Howdy Y'all
https://www.facebook.com/matthew.tucker1
Caution Content May be inappropriate

May/June 2016 Magic cruise to Norway
2017 Prtugal wedding adventures
2018 Alskan disney cruise ??
2019 Florida

Eeyore's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/22/2012
Posts: 1120

Get in the back and duck your head a little and you will be fine! Have fun!

King Fergus

Mrferret wrote:
King Fergus wrote:
Mrferret wrote:
If you luck into a middle or back seat and there is a person bigger than you in front my advice is just after the flash goes off for the picture duck and cover.This happened to me on a previous trip and the person in front took the splash and i stayed dry as .
The water canon just around the bend however is another matter entirely ...

Ach ya big fearty...I once saw a group of Japanese tourists all wearing ponchos in the blistering heat of July..Whit.!! eek

4 words for ya ... Rock and Roller Coaster waiting

I've been on a Rock n Roll coaster since 1971.. Aged just 19 and played my first live gig...LOL.. mickey

senseicj's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2010
Posts: 807

I see a lot of people wear ponchos on the ride to stay dry....and as far as the people that ask to sit in the back so the people that sit up front block most of the water....if I am infront of you and hear you say that you want to sit in the back to avoid being soaked I have been known to get my family and friends to duck at just the right time and drenched the folks behind us and loved listening to them whine about it after

__________________

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
--Walt Disney--

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

BoBo713's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/16/2012
Posts: 380

Definitely sit in the back. Last year we sat in the front and got TOTALLY soaked, the whole front dipped and a wave just came right over the front and 'whoosh', wet and stinky...... BUT, in the past we've sat in the back two rows and never a problem, even caught some guys hat that flow off his head. Bonus points for that one.

__________________

BoBo

"Live well, laugh loud & love much"

Mrferret's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2013
Posts: 1710

senseicj wrote:
I see a lot of people wear ponchos on the ride to stay dry....and as far as the people that ask to sit in the back so the people that sit up front block most of the water....if I am infront of you and hear you say that you want to sit in the back to avoid being soaked I have been known to get my family and friends to duck at just the right time and drenched the folks behind us and loved listening to them whine about it after

I have to remember this course of action awesome

__________________

Howdy Y'all
https://www.facebook.com/matthew.tucker1
Caution Content May be inappropriate

May/June 2016 Magic cruise to Norway
2017 Prtugal wedding adventures
2018 Alskan disney cruise ??
2019 Florida

King Fergus

BoBo713 wrote:
Definitely sit in the back. Last year we sat in the front and got TOTALLY soaked, the whole front dipped and a wave just came right over the front and 'whoosh', wet and stinky...... BUT, in the past we've sat in the back two rows and never a problem, even caught some guys hat that flow off his head. Bonus points for that one.

Wet..Yes..Stinky..Whoa!! eek

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9502

We've been in the back ,middle , front, got soaked sometimes, other times didn't. You can never tell.

Offline
Joined: 02/12/2012
Posts: 271

Love how you've been so many times and still have new things to experience!

__________________

[url='http://salocainwonderland.blogspot.com']Saloca in Wonderland[/url] <--- blog!

AnnielovesDisney's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/12/2013
Posts: 887

We're here at MK, it's our FP time and splash mountain is closed sad

alicemouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/22/2013
Posts: 2832

AnnielovesDisney wrote:
We're here at MK, it's our FP time and splash mountain is closed sad

Oh no!!! How long ad you staying? Any chance you can try again?

__________________

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

Offline
Joined: 12/29/2011
Posts: 499

Personally I think SM is a waste of time. Yes, it has some good visuals and catchy music, but it's basically a boring ride with one good drop at the end.

Offline
Joined: 03/22/2014
Posts: 552

SM is one of my faaavorites! I've not gotten all that wet and we went on it 4 times last time we went to MK. I prefer a poncho on Kali Rapids but don't use one on Splash Mountain.

__________________

AnnielovesDisney's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/12/2013
Posts: 887

We are back from our weekend trip to WDW and....We rode Splash mountain stars

It opened back up a few hours later on Saturday night and we were able to use our FP+ for it. I decided to "live dangerously" and I didn't wear a poncho, although phone, camera, wallet, etc... were in a Ziploc. We asked the CM if we could please sit anywhere but the front seat. So he put us in the back row. BUT, he didn't put anyone in rows 2 or 3 for some reason. So there was a father and small daughter in the first row and DH and I in the back row. Not much cover for us! I am happy to report that we only got a little bit wet by a few splashes here and there, although the father and daughter got pretty soaked, so we won't be riding in the front seat anytime soon. The ride was so cute and we both really enjoyed it. I think it's going to be on our MK "must do" list for awhile. At least until I get soaked it will be laugh

Thanks to everyone for your tips. You convinced me to try Splash Mountain and I'm so glad you did yay

JanJ's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/14/2013
Posts: 1681

Yay! Glad you enjoyed it. The ride is so much more than what you see from the outside. yay

MandaLynn's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/22/2013
Posts: 213

clapping This is great!!

I'm a little late to the party, but my tips would've been to A) ride toward the back, and B) to ride as late as possible so you don't walk around wet all day.

Glad you experienced something new mickey

Spook's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/27/2012
Posts: 2786

yay So glad you enjoyed it

alicemouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/22/2013
Posts: 2832

awesome Way to go, Annie!

__________________

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

crazycatperson's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/19/2011
Posts: 3718

I'm very happy that you tried it and enjoyed it.