have you seen this report?

Login to post comments
15 posts / 0 new
Doyouwanna's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/03/2013
Posts: 201
have you seen this report?

http://www.today.com/news/undercover-disney-deplorable-scheme-skip-lines-6C10131266

__________________

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23803

There are two threads already about the original story, but no... I hadn't seen that one. I am absolutely mortified by these tour guides that are capitalizing on their disability to let people cheat the system. That's just so, so wrong and it leaves a bad taste in the mouth of many disabled Disney fans.

I was happy to read this: "Disney is cracking down, sending out warning letters to anyone advertising these services online. And if they catch any of these "disabled tour guides" in the act, their disabled passes will be revoked, and they won't be allowed back into the park."

I would love to see Disney go even further than this and blacklist these people all together, but that's probably overkill.

kywildcatchick's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/30/2013
Posts: 281

My poor mother who has had 4 back surgeries and a knee replacement is having second thoughts about getting a scooter or GAC because she doesn't want people to think badly of her and my sisters family she is going with due to all these unethical people. Such a shame!! I'm glad Disney is cracking down.

__________________

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker Free Disney Tickers

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9501

They should also black list the companies that they are going through also and not allow them to do any thing with Disney including travel agents, tour guides who ever. No Kristen, I don't think it is over kill.

Look at the amount of times people have to defend themselves already about needing a wheel chair or motorized scooter, and then you hear about people doing this. I'm not there yet, and I hope I never need one, but if I do at some ripe old age, I don't want to be scrutinized for being in one.

Unfortunately, I am sorry to say I know on our next trip at some point I'll probably think "Wonder if that person was hired", and so will a lot of other people on the forum I'm sure. Heck, how many people at Disney right now are thinking it?

I'll shut up now!

JMUDukz's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2012
Posts: 822

Kristen K. wrote:
There are two threads already about the original story, but no... I hadn't seen that one. I am absolutely mortified by these tour guides that are capitalizing on their disability to let people cheat the system. That's just so, so wrong and it leaves a bad taste in the mouth of many disabled Disney fans.

I was happy to read this: "Disney is cracking down, sending out warning letters to anyone advertising these services online. And if they catch any of these "disabled tour guides" in the act, their disabled passes will be revoked, and they won't be allowed back into the park."

I would love to see Disney go even further than this and blacklist these people all together, but that's probably overkill.

I don't think it's overkill, but I don't think the letters are going to be effective. How long has it gone on and it was just caught?? I do believe that requiring a doctor's note and tracking the GAC might be a more effective means of preventing this type of fraud. If Disney sees that the SAME person is coming in each week and using a GAC, it might be worth an investigation. Could be a local resident or could be a scammer.

__________________

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23803

JMUDukz wrote:
I do believe that requiring a doctor's note

The problem with that is that it's illegal. Disney can not ask for, nor can they accept any sort of documentation for a GAC.

Mandy's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/18/2013
Posts: 2484

Actually anyone can get a gac for any type of illness from mental disorders, to wheelchairs, to adhd and others like those. I've heard of cast members getting a push wheelchair (for free) then getting a gac to get shorter lines. But not all lines have you go through the fastpass line. Most of the queues at Animal Kingdom are wheelchair friendly and will make you wait in the standby line. The gac doesn't promise you a shorter wait time, just a handicap accessible way into the ride.

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23803

Mandy wrote:
The gac doesn't promise you a shorter wait time, just a handicap accessible way into the ride.

Very true and sometimes the wait is even longer. mickey

Offline
Joined: 07/27/2013
Posts: 1

According to that link, it looks like only the park hopper option will go up, and only by $2. Weird.

__________________

ABEEHA

angels444's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/05/2012
Posts: 647

Only one time this trip did we run into a family using a GAC card and none of them seem to need it. I try not to judge these things because I use to have a friend that had lung cancer. On the outside she looked perfectly fine, but at one point she only had half lung left. No chemo at that point just the lung removal. Sorry I can't remember everything it has been a while. I try not to judge, but these jumping around, laughing, and acting crazy. All 7 of them.

As far as black listing these people the handicapped person doesn't need to apply for the GAC. Anyone in the party can go in and get the GAC card. Mom's do it for kids. I do it for J. We don't always use the card but when J starts to get bad it is either stop going to the parks or get the GAC card. We had a GAC card this trip but only used it 5 times in four days.

It is a shame for people to abuse it ,but people that need it they shouldn't be ashamed or embarrassed to ask for it because they are afraid of being judged.

__________________

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker Free Disney Tickers

disneydoc's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/27/2012
Posts: 2415

angels444 wrote:
Only one time this trip did we run into a family using a GAC card and none of them seem to need it. I try not to judge these things because I use to have a friend that had lung cancer. On the outside she looked perfectly fine, but at one point she only had half lung left. No chemo at that point just the lung removal. Sorry I can't remember everything it has been a while. I try not to judge, but these jumping around, laughing, and acting crazy. All 7 of them.

As far as black listing these people the handicapped person doesn't need to apply for the GAC. Anyone in the party can go in and get the GAC card. Mom's do it for kids. I do it for J. We don't always use the card but when J starts to get bad it is either stop going to the parks or get the GAC card. We had a GAC card this trip but only used it 5 times in four days.

It is a shame for people to abuse it ,but people that need it they shouldn't be ashamed or embarrassed to ask for it because they are afraid of being judged.

Interesting...I almost got one myself for my last trip, believe it or not. Although I am fairly fit and active, that hernia was giving me some trouble, and I went to WDW the week before I had it repaired (by design...knew I would not be moving as well after).

But I toughed it out and did not get the GAC. I just walked a bit slower (but not much less). biggrin Maybe I should have considered it, but felt a bit weird doing that as a single person who would not appear to need it on the outside.

__________________

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker DIStickers.com Ticker

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9501

On our last trip with scrappy's bad ankle, we did get a GAC, but only after the CM's told us to. We even told them what happened to her ankle and they said "get it, it's not going to get you to the front of the line, it will just make it easier to get on and off the rides". Some, scrappy drove the EVC right up to where you get off the ride and we got on after several cars went by, like Splash Mt. Others she had to park it outside the exit and we walked in the exit, they would have you stay at a certain location until they were ready for you, then they would come get us and let us on. Most times the CM's were shocked that there were only 4 of us. A lot of the other people with the cards had groups of 8, 10 or more. At times we did fell bad going past all those people, but I will say NOT when they were tour groups of 200+, and there was a lot of them this trip.

Offline
Joined: 08/01/2012
Posts: 2037

I have been thinking about getting one myself since I am still rehabbing my fractured ankle. I am planning on taking my ankle brace to help but if I really need help I know it will be an option. Is there anything special you need to do to get the GAC card?

JMUDukz's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2012
Posts: 822

No, I just went to guest services at the first park we hit (which was MK) and explained my situation and got one. You can always get it and not use it if you don't feel like you need it. I do feel that the CM who gave it to me was very judgmental, but maybe I was just extra sensitive.

Oh - I also suggest bringing an ice pack (or we had a hot water bottle that we put ice in each night) to ice your ankle back in the hotel room at night. It was easier than dealing w/zip lock bags (no leaking) and we just grabbed ice from the drink machine when we filled up our mugs for the night.

__________________

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

Offline
Joined: 08/01/2012
Posts: 2037

Okay thanks JMUDukz. I didn't think about the ice bag but that is definitely a good idea. No problem getting one since I work in a hospital! I'll just add that to my packing list.