Kristen K's Pennies From Heaven! February 2015

Login to post comments
230 posts / 0 new
Kristen K.'s picture
Kristen K's Pennies From Heaven! February 2015

Grab the defibrillator! This trip may still have a chance. Is it a pre-trip report?

Some have noticed that my DCL cruise counter has been removed from my signature. sad Sad, but true - as of two weeks ago my daughter and I decided that there was really only about a 20% chance that we wouldn't have to cancel our February Cruise. We just weren't going to be able to afford it. Becks (who was joining us on the cruise) and her family rescheduled theirs to a date that is better for them, and I removed my countdown. However I just hadn't been able to brig myself to call and cancel yet. Canceling is depressing, really depressing, and Disney won't allow me to simply postpone this one anymore. So I've been trying to get up the gumption to give DCL a call and put the axe to the only Disney trip I have scheduled right now.

Then, late last week the strangest thing happened. Thursday I received a letter in the mail from an insurance company saying that they had learned that my Dad passed away (that had happened back in 1991). They thought that I might be a beneficiary, however my name wasn't listed on the policy. After a game of 20 questions, it was determined that the listed beneficiary was my grandfather (who passed in 1984), but it was listed in his nickname, not his legal name. I then had to track down and contact a woman that I hadn't heard from for 20 years to help me prove I'm the only heir, and search through probate records from 1991 - good thing I have mad internet stalking skills. By Friday I was able to convince the insurance company that they should send me the claim forms, however because of the circumstances I also have to provide death certificates and proof of what my grandfather's nickname was. Because everyone keeps that lying around, right? gaah After some more internet searching and a quick trip to the notary I got forms sent off to the two counties that I need the deaths certificates from and hopefully have enough proof of Grandpa's nickname.

Now I wait. I hate waiting. 5-10 business days to get the claim forms, and 10-15 for the certificates to get back to me. Then 2-4 weeks after I return the claim forms. I'm in a holding pattern and it's driving me nuts. I still have no idea how much this policy was for, for all I know it's a whole dollar. I'm hoping that the claim forms will say what the benefit is. But - as I started day-dreaming about what to do with the money it occurred to me that I hadn't yet canceled my cruise. beach Maybe - just maybe we can still go.

So send all the pixie dust you can spare and let's prove that the dead can dance. I don't have to cancel until December so there's really a chance here. crossfingers

Here's The Goal

Kristen & Tori (DD age 21)

1 Night at Bay Lake Tower

4 Nights on the Disney Dream

Vettelover's picture

Here is my share of the Pixie Dust. stars stars stars mickey

Spook's picture

stars stars stars stars stars here's some pixie from me! I hope you can go on your cruise crossfingers

alicemouse's picture

Oh yay!! That's great. Kristen!! I hope it works out for you stars stars stars

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

crazycatperson's picture

Oh my goodness, I hope there are no glitches and you've sufficiently proved everything and there's enough of a benefit to get you on that cruise and more. Keep us posted.

finngirl's picture

crossfingers that this is all going to work out for you, and buckets of stars stars stars stars

There was a reason you hadn't cancelled this cruise yet!

Diana

Time marches on. Eventually you realize it's doing it across your face.

MrHub's picture

Kristen, I sent you a PM!

oldtink's picture

Remember some money from insurance benefits, not collected for a period of time MAY collect interest. stars stars stars stars stars stars stars stars stars stars

"At some point in life you have to decide if you're the Tigger or the Eeyore."...Randy Pausch

"George Banks and all he stands for will be saved. Maybe not in life, but in imagination. Because that's what we storytellers do. We restore order with imagination. We instill hope again and again and again." Walt Disney

Miss Mikki's picture

How exciting. I hope it all works out for you. stars

no ticker Sad

Kristen K.'s picture

MrHub wrote:
Kristen, I sent you a PM!

Got it! Thank you! awesome

Kristen K.'s picture

oldtink wrote:
Remember some money from insurance benefits, not collected for a period of time MAY collect interest

I'm trying not to get too excited about how much it may be. Knowing my Dad I'm sure that it will be a fairly modest sum, even if it had collected interest for all that time. I just really hope it's enough to put a new muffler on my car and go on the cruise. I told my husband that as long as it's more than $50 (the cost of ordering the death certificates) we come out ahead so it's all good.

disneydoc's picture

Fingers crossed! crossfingers

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker DIStickers.com Ticker

Mandy's picture

I really hope everything works out!! That's a long time to go without trying to figure out who gets the money. I'll go talk with Tink and see if she has any extra pixie dust or see if she can get Terrance to get her some extra pixie dust for you!

Kristen K.'s picture

Mandy wrote:
I'll go talk with Tink and see if she has any extra pixie dust or see if she can get Terrance to get her some extra pixie dust for you!

That would be awesome! Thanks Mandy!

Mandy's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
Mandy wrote:
I'll go talk with Tink and see if she has any extra pixie dust or see if she can get Terrance to get her some extra pixie dust for you!

That would be awesome! Thanks Mandy!

You're welcome! I can also get you some jam and tea from the Mad Hatter as well. biggrin

JanJ's picture

I'm a firm believer that what is meant to happen will happen, but I still have my fingers crossed for a Disney cruise for you! crossfingers

Magic Mirror's picture

That is crazy that after all these years it would pop up and land on your lap now!!!! WOW
If the universe is working its synchronicity this hard....you are destined to be on that cruise...
clapping clapping

Ms.Mouse's picture

crossfingers Here's hoping it all works out! stars stars stars

CdnSquirrel's picture

We can all use some pixie dust!

designedbydisney's picture

If you can dream it you can do it

JoAnn C's picture

Hope it works out for you

Miss Mikki's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
oldtink wrote:
Remember some money from insurance benefits, not collected for a period of time MAY collect interest

I'm trying not to get too excited about how much it may be. Knowing my Dad I'm sure that it will be a fairly modest sum, even if it had collected interest for all that time. I just really hope it's enough to put a new muffler on my car and go on the cruise. I told my husband that as long as it's more than $50 (the cost of ordering the death certificates) we come out ahead so it's all good.

Don't start looking at those Golden Oak brochures just yet laugh
Seriously though, sometimes in life we do get sent little pick me ups from out of the blue.
I really do feel that you are going to get your cruise!
Just sending some pixie dust - just in case stars

no ticker Sad

Kris1971's picture

All it takes is faith and trust!

Fingers crossed for you!

MrHub's picture

Kris1971 wrote:
All it takes is faith and trust!

& a little pixie dust

PreviewAttachmentSize
image.jpg
image.jpg1.09 MB
Kristen K.'s picture

Hoorah for the magical Pixie Dust yay

ScottFL's picture

Hope it works out - but even if it doesn't, its great story for cocktail parties.

CEB NYC's picture

Wow, what a story! Hope it has a very happy ending with you and your daughter riding into the sunset on the Disney Dream:)

Wow that is amazing. I hope everything works out for you Kristen.

Spook's picture

Have you heard anything yet Kristen?

MrHub's picture

Spook wrote:
Have you heard anything yet Kristen?

I was about to ask the same question.

Brinbunny's picture

I love the title to this trip! Here's hoping it is a sign that you are destined to go .......... mickey crossfingers mickey