Mini Trip Report - Feb 11, 2012

Login to post comments
12 posts / 0 new
Lizzy_B's picture
Mini Trip Report - Feb 11, 2012

We had a terrific time yesterday!

A friend of DH from work who also happens to work at Disney had tix that were about to expire, so she invited us to come into the park for the day. We met at Animal Kingdom, and consequently got to spend the morning there.

I was really excited because I hadn't spent any meaningful time in AK forever, and I had NEVER been back to Asia (I know, shocking.) The first thing we did was the Kilimanjaro Safari. We saw a ton of animals, which was so cool for the kids. And our driver was as entertaining as ever, getting into the story.

Next, we headed over to Asia, while I kept a running commentary about all the eating places from the advice y'all have offered! "So and so says Yak n Yeti is awesome!" and "Thus and such says we should really try Flametree." It was pretty funny. And man, Asia smelled GOOD! We were trying to save our appetite for lunch, and it was hard.

While in Asia, I minded the baby while DH and DD rode Expedition Everest. They LOVED it! And the wait was pretty short, as was the wait for the Safari.

We headed to Earl of Sandwich for lunch, where we got to try the limited time French dip. Yum! The wait was pretty long since we timed our lunch poorly - right at 12:45 - but I'm always amazed at how fast the line moves, and how you can always find a table.

We headed to Epcot next, where the light crowds continued, and so did the firsts. DH and DD got to ride Mission Space (opting for green for the first experience), and we got Fastpasses to return for Soarin (the stand by line was only 55 mins!) We spent the rest of the day walking around WS, doing some of the attractions over there, sampling from the French patisserie (HIGHLY recommend the chocolate eclair Smile ), before we headed to La Cava del Tequila for a night cap. (Cucumber Margarita. SO good.)

OH - and I FINALLY ducked into Club Cool and tried Beverly!! I liked it, actually Smile It tastes like what I imagine Campari and grapefruit would be like. No complaints here Smile My two year old like all the others ha!

So overall, a nice day. Very chilly and breezy toward the end, but we enjoyed the crisp weather and the light crowds.

MrHub's picture

Nice mini trip report Lizzy! My stomach always starts grumbling in Asia and that French Dip sounded good too, hope they have that sometime while we are there in May.

Oh , we're in the double digits again already.

We were at animal kingdom last Wednesday and were really surprised at how short the lineups were. In fact there weren't any lineups! We went on the safari which I have wanted to go on for the last 3 years. We followed the line and walked right on. It was the Best ride! I took lots of pictures and just the whole thing was awesome! Somehow my husband managed to convince me to go on Everest. He said it wasn't bad so I went. I am glad I went however I couldn't stop shaking for quite a while after. We also went on a few kiddie rides like the primevil whirl and the triceratops twirl. No lineups once again. The really cool thing though was that my husband got to open the Flametree BBQ restaurant. We were the first ones there so when the lady yelled out each station at the restaurant he would yell are you ready. It was so much fun and he got a little certificate card to remember it by. We had similar experiences at the other parks with low crowds and no lines as well. I am thinking I love February for Disney!

Bella's picture

Yum...now my stomach is growling for a Flame Tree/Earl of Sandwich/Eating Around the World combo lunch. Lizzy you always surprise me with your Disney "never have I ever(Drunk..." I am glad you've been to Asia..the themeing in AK is just amazing to me!

Did you think there was enough to entertain DS in Epcot? If you were there with just him would you have skipped AK?

mickey Bella

We are down to 41 days. I am dying here . . .

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
J. R. R. Tolkien

Lizzy_B's picture

Thanks, Everyone! Happy for all of you who are either here or about to get here!

Bella, My kids have always enjoyed Epcot (they don't really have a choice, since it's my favorite, ha!) I take them on SE and Mexico everytime, and usually on Nemo as well. There's all the stuff to do after Nemo and around the aquarium. They love looking at the fish. And all of the fun stuff to do after SE is good, too. Then there are the Kidcot stops and lots of characters. I think it's a good fit.

DS enjoyed the safari, and we did a kiddie ride at AK too, which he liked. As long as I let him out of his stroller to stretch periodically, and give him snacks, he's pretty cool about the whole thing Smile

Nikamel - I was so bummed - Primeval Whirl was down! We are still trying to ride that blasted ride!

Mase's picture

lol... the Beverly.... that wonderful drink of the gods..... yuck

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

Jess's picture

Lizzy... I can't believe you actually liked the beverly... Yuck.. I'm not at home right now but when I get home I'll post the video from our last trip of the first time we tried it... I don't think it ever got posted

Vettelover's picture

Jess wrote:
Lizzy... I can't believe you actually liked the beverly... Yuck.. I'm not at home right now but when I get home I'll post the video from our last trip of the first time we tried it... I don't think it ever got posted

Beverly is a lot like Moxie, it's an acquired taste. Personally I don't mind either one. At least I can find Moxie in some stores around here.

Mase's picture

I forgot I taped it.... you will have to find it and get it uploaded.

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

Jess's picture

Here's the video of the infamous "beverly"

Lizzy_B's picture

Lolol - video is adorable! Love the hat Smile

What can I say? It's the bitter note. I don't necessarily mind it. I won't be throwing back large quantities, but I didn't think it was bad. Kinda nice beside the the cloying sweet, sweet, sweet wink