October 2014 14 day trip report a bumpy start but all magic from there on

Login to post comments
38 posts / 0 new
crazycatperson's picture

On the one hand, there are a lot of long-time owners at OKW that Disney would need to deal with, and I don't think they'll want to transfer all those points to a newer, more popular resort. They want to sell the newer resorts to newbies paying cold, hard cash.

But the resort isn't very popular. It's the oldest DVC property, it doesn't have much of a Disney theme, it doesn't have a destination restaurant, it's not close to anything, and the units are huge. They could tear it all down and build a heavily themed resort with smaller rooms and a cool restaurant or two, and then they'd only need to deal with the existing owners temporarily - let them stay elsewhere during the building process, transfer their ownership to the new resort, and since the units will be smaller they'll still have plenty of points to sell to new owners. It's entirely feasible.

azdisneydvc's picture

crazycatperson wrote:
On the one hand, there are a lot of long-time owners at OKW that Disney would need to deal with, and I don't think they'll want to transfer all those points to a newer, more popular resort. They want to sell the newer resorts to newbies paying cold, hard cash.

But the resort isn't very popular. It's the oldest DVC property, it doesn't have much of a Disney theme, it doesn't have a destination restaurant, it's not close to anything, and the units are huge. They could tear it all down and build a heavily themed resort with smaller rooms and a cool restaurant or two, and then they'd only need to deal with the existing owners temporarily - let them stay elsewhere during the building process, transfer their ownership to the new resort, and since the units will be smaller they'll still have plenty of points to sell to new owners. It's entirely feasible.

I agree, I bought into OKW before they had any other WDW property resorts. The one thing I do like about OKW, is that the rooms are much larger than other DVC units. However, I do think the resort is getting dated and needs a major make-over. I for one would be willing to transfer ownership to a different resort if I did not lose anything from the transfer and depending on resort choices given. I always try to request a unit close to the main check-in building. At least we could walk to get something to eat. Its not very guest friendly to navigate through the resort if you don't have a car to get to the main building.

Scott

designedbydisney's picture

Day 6- Friday morning and we were once again up, ready and on a bus by 8 and at MK at 8:45 ready for rope drop. This morning we watching the welcome show, which I love and had a laugh and joke about all the people ready to make the dash to Anna and elsa and the mine train. Have these people not headed of fast pass plus? While everybody else and I mean literally everybody ran to fantasyland we headed left to adventureland our plan for the day was adventure and frontier and then home. It was empty by 10 we had done, jungle cruise, tiki room, the tee house and pirates. At 10 we sat down and grab a dole while float which is shockingly a snack iteam. We sat and ate and took in adventureland at 10:30 we meet up with the others who had slept in and used our fast passes to ride thunder and splash, we enjoyed countries Bears and watched the peck bills opening show and did a little shopping. Next we headed to Liberty square and checked out the new haunted mansion store which was awesome, after we explored the square and used a bonus fast pass for haunted mansion, which is my favourite attraction.

By the time we were done it was about 12:30 we had used the online hack to get a 12:45 reservation for be our guest. They are super strict on the times of this so we used a bonus fast pass to ride mine train, which is a modern classic.

Be our guest was great with a fast pass but I'm done for lunch here now, I had the beef sandwich and the grey stuff cupcake and it is really good but it's not the greatest, I'm really excited to be going here for our honeymoon for dinner.
The best part of the meal was pre ordering weeks ago and it arriving to the table, that is magic

After lunch we were stuffed and me and DF decided to leave the park it was 1:30 getting hot and crowded. On the way out we used our bonus fast pass to meet cinders and rupunzel, who were a little average.

We had diner resavations for Ohana, so we decided to go back to the resort swim and get changed and then head to downtown for a little shopping before getting the bus to the poly,

OMG Ohana was amazing, I loved everything about it, from the food to the decor to the entertainment. I'm not sure it would be as great in a smaller group but it was so much fun and the food was amazing. You must go,

After diner we were too full to do anything else so we headed back to our resort via the Magic Kingdom buses.... We slept well knowing tomorrow would be a lay in....

crazycatperson's picture

I've done 'Ohana just me and hubby and with a crowd of (counting...) seven people, and it was equally amazing both times. Hubby even did it alone and had a great dinner. Although I do admit that the festive atmosphere when you're with a crowd is extra special.

amy1989's picture

Great report so far we did ohana as just us 2 and I was blown away with everything in there!!! we enjoyed it as a small group so give it a try!

keep the report coming!

RobynPrincess's picture

I used to love Ohana, I'm so sad the removed the chicken as now there's no longer anything I can eat there Sad another great day Smile

Our Very Merry 24 nighter Nov/Dec 15
Watson's go West May 15
The one with all the birthdays Oct 14 4 Big Birthdays and a Vow Renewal thrown in
The OMG trip June 14 30th Birthday present from the hubs
Girly trip March 14 A last min cheapy week
September 13 our first all DVC stay
TR May 2013 the last min bargain trip offsite
Oct 2012 TR with a cruise!big family trip featuring the beach club, AKL, the dream and a villa offsite
TR on a budget May - June 2011offsite condo
TR Sept - Oct 2010 big family trip in an offsite villa

h0ney227's picture

Ohana is always a hit with my family. Glad you enjoyed it!