October 2014 14 day trip report a bumpy start but all magic from there on

Login to post comments
38 posts / 0 new
designedbydisney's picture
October 2014 14 day trip report a bumpy start but all magic from there on

We left early Sunday morning at 6am from home to London gatwick, we had already checked in online so it was just a matter of checking bags, getting through security and getting some food. Gatwick is a boring airport so nothing much to say... We did buy a go pro. We boarded the plan at 1pm and took off swiftly. We flew with Virgin and the flight was pretty uneventful I had pre booked our seats and got the ones grouped as two at the back of the plane, this is a great tip as you get more leg room and more room for bags plus you can move about with out annoying any strangers.

After 8 and a half hours we arrived at orlando international. My fiance and I were lucky enough to be traveling on the same esta as last year and so getting through security was really fast as we got to use these awesome robot screens they have. And then the first bit of magic on our trip... All four of our bags came off the plane first and all together, we had our bags before the rest of the party had even gotten in the security queue.

After the long walk through OIA we got to the magical express, checking in was easy... But we did have to wait forever for it to fill up I would say almost 45 minutes, I was more then glad we hadn't tried booking adrs for this night. We got going and made it to old key west about 6:30....

This is where things started to become a little less magical we got off the bus and walked to the lobby which was empty, and on check in stood one lonely cast member, playing with his cell phone. We stood and waited for 5 minutes, he didn't look up once so I passive aggressively coughed to get his attention... He looked up for a second then back to his phone and waved us over to him... "Name" he barked at as no welcome home, no smile, no magic. We had a first timer in our group which was on file... No button. He the said "I have a room request due to a disability, who here is disabled?" "Me" I replied shocked, then came the biggest blow "you don't look disabled" he snorted. "Anyway we have fulfilled you request, regardless, you room is here" in fairness it was close to the hospitality house.

We headed to the room and as I had reckoned it would, our bands didn't work, so back to our friend on check in, he just took our bands and said "oh I didn't active them" no sorry. We then headed back to the room and got in... Oh my god old key west is this worst resort disney offer, our room was disgusting... It had a hole in the wall. No wifi and smelt like a boys locker room, like old damp towels.

Anyway we weren't going to let their spoil out night, we headed to the boat to downtown and grabbed some holiday sandwiches at earl of sandwich which wee amazing. However our best friend at old key west hadn't activated our dinning plan. The lovely cast member at EOS could see it was there though and the manager gave us our food on the house which was great, we then picked up out $200 gift card from booking our trip and headed back to OKW....

I will try to write a day, a day going forward but I thought I would jump ahead to explain what happened OKW, when we came back the next day for an afternoon swim we noticed the DVC members acted snobby towards us, one even tutted at my tattoos and when trying to use a quiet pool the people around it who were all talking and hanging out all stopped and left when we got there. When we walked back past the lobby we noticed the managed standing at the magical express treating guests with hugs and smiles... Far different from the service we got, so we went to the concierge to complain about the cash member who checked us in, she basically said that we had no proof and "what did she want her to do" she couldn't have cared less. So I asked to speak to a manager, we dealt with HOPE, who was fantastic she tried to move us to the grand Floridian but it was sold out and the. The poly but cause it doesn't have a pool atm we were reluctant to stay there, in the end we were moved to port Orleans riverside and given two separate rooms in the preferred rooms, the alligator bayou, our rooms view was of the water wheel. As well as moving us, she also gave us 3 extra fast passes a day for the rest of our trip, this made park touring very easy as they were blanket passes, we could have literally met Anna and elsa three times in a row if we had wanted to (we didn't) she also gave us a $500 gift card, since returning home disney have been I. Touch as I had mentioned that we may move our honeymoon to go to Tokyo instead of WDW in March because the service we had gotten at a 'deluxe' in order to secure us coming back disney world have sent us a further $300 gift card as a wedding present from Mickey and Minnie, added 3 extra blanket fast passes to our dates which will be a huge help in March and have said they will do their very best to upgrade us on our honeymoon, we are staying woods view at wilderness lodge and they have said they hope to move us to concierge level and have promised some disney Magic when we arrive in our room.

All this has been very nice but it only goes a small way to make up for they way I was spoken to discriminated against by that first cast member....

Good news is after moving resorts our trip was amazing... Day two to follow

Mousedreaming's picture

I'm sorry you got off to a very rocky start. And it is sad to hear a DVC property is in such rough shape, and the CM was well...really awful. Glad your trip is looking up, though. Have to say...I LOVE POR! muchlove

Can't wait to hear more!

*Proud Disney Nut*

Allie's picture

So sorry you had such a crappy experience but I'm glad to hear the people you've been in touch with as of late are doing all they can to make it right!

BarbaraB's picture

Sorry you had such a bad first night. Hopefully, it will only get better. Looking forward to hearing more.

~ Barb ~

The Watchmaker's picture

Wow..What a terrible introduction...we love PORS and enjoyed three stays there..I bet you will enjoy the rest of your stay..

The Colonel's picture

That sounds pretty rough. What was the discrimination that you refer to?

The typing is a little shaky so I may not be following. Am I correct that you get $800 in gift cards, food on the house in EoS, and 3 extra fast passes a day for your whole trip? And you also mentioned something about another $200 gift card?And this was because a CM was rude?

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

Sorry I'm typing on an iPad, we were given $800 total in gift cards plus the $200 I was given for booking so that's a total of $1000, we got given blanket fast pass for this stay and our next and have been promised a good shot at an up grade to concierge level in March. The cm was making rude comments about my disability and questioned it which we found out is illegal in Florida. The service at OKW really is awful

EOS on the house was due to the same DM not links our dining plan, the manager there gave us the benefit of the doubt as we had no cash on us, cause as disney say "all you need is your magic band"

jw24's picture

Yikes. A hole in the wall in the room is never a good thing no matter what hotel you stay in! As for the rude CM, believe me, I'd channel my inner Jon Taffer from Bar Rescue and tell him off with conviction! There's never an excuse for rudeness. None! But...I am glad it all got sorted out. Port Orleans seems to be the fan favorite moderate everywhere I read online.

"All my life I wonder how it feels to pass a day, not above them but part of them.

And out there living in the sun, give me one day out there, all I ask is one to hold forever. Out there where they all live unaware, what I'd give, what I'd dare, just to live one day out there."

CdnSquirrel's picture

If a cm questioned my wife's disability I would ask to speak to the manager immediately. What a wretched way to start a Disney vacation. Nice to hear it got sorted out.

So back to the report:

Day 2: we woke up at 6am showered and got ready we had a taxi booked at 7am to get over to the Magic Kingdom in time for our 8am reservation at crystal palace. I'm really glad we booked a taxi it took all the stress out of transport and I'm also glad we have ourselves that hour to get there as the taxis drop you at the comptemary, which is only a short walk but after take, bag check and reservation check the time adds up. But it's worth in. WOW walking down Main Street with only a few other family's is breath taking, we had decided to use memory maker for this first time, in fact it was our first time with the magic bands... So we decided to take photos on main street while it was empty, doing this and not handing a camera over to the cast member felt a little weird at first.

We got to crystal palce in time to see it open which is cute and they come out and call your family's name, which is fun. We loved crystal palace the food was great the resturant is stunning and the interaction with pooh and the gang was the best... Best of all we had a window seat facing the castle. It's truley a magical place and one we will be rushing back to in March. We were stuffed full of food just like pooh himself, and then the most magical part of our trip payment, the bill came the server scanned our bands and it was void... The magic of the free dining plan! We loved it.

We headed from the resturant through the castle to fantasyland and on to new fantasyland, with the hope of riding 7DMT however it was down and the stand by at 9:05 was already 120mins so we decided to ride pooh, philarmagic and under the sea with the little mermaid, after that it was time for our first ever fast pass plus - enchanted tales with belle.. We love this show and I got picked to be a knight.. Although we love it now we have taken part in it and seen it a few times it is no longer a must do for us, after the show we used our fast passes for little mermaid again and Peter Pan, we stopped in gastons tavern for a lefews brew which we love and the. A meet and great with the man himself.
It was 11am by this time so we decided to head out of fantasyland and to Main Street we saw the trolly show, loved it! And met some of the citizens of Main Street. By this time it was about 12 so we headed back to OKW while the crowds poured in....

We decided to take a nice afternoon swim after swimming is when the unpleastness happened and we had to complain at OKW, tthe manager arranged us a shuttle over to epcot and had got us in the VIP section for illumanations, we also had out blanket fast passes, so we jumped on space ship earth and soaring befor heading to Italy for VIP viewing, cause we were near we used our counter serve credit to grad burgers and fries from America, epcot was packed.. I have to say I hate the food and wine festival, the crowds are large and by most part rude and for us living in London there wasn't one dish or drink we can't get with in 30 mins of our house it did nothing for me at all and made world showcase an us enjoyable place to be. So we were glad to be in a private area on the water for the show, which as always was great.

After illumanations we decided to sit and watch the crowds leave and then too a slow stroll out the park, hoped on a bus and made it to OKW by midnight, we feel asleep watching classic disney cartoons and dreaming of what PORS might be like...

The Watchmaker's picture

At least its getting better...Still can't get over your first encounter..Here's to PORS..Don't forget to order the " Create your own Pasta. "...and the MCB from the bakery...Also Boatwrights is worth trying if you have a gap in your ADR list...You should be able to get it with an ADR ...

Sounds good watchmaker but I'm sadly home now I was there the same time as you

oHIo's picture

Your introduction to OKW was horrible!! I am so glad that WDW made it right. In February 2014 we had trouble with our magic bands and they upraded us to Concierege Level at Beach Club which was awesome! Hope you wandered into River Roost Lounge while you were at PORS. Yehaa Bob is hilarious. Not sure how he gets that upright piano to rock the way it does but it moves almost as much as he does. If you didn't see him it would be worth your while to return for your March trip.

laugh laugh laugh

The Watchmaker's picture

designedbydisney wrote:
Sounds good watchmaker but I'm sadly home now I was there the same time as you

Silly me..So you were..There goes my memory problem again.. confused

jw24's picture

I'm not sure if you went during the weekend for Food and Wine but I've been told that the crowds are large from Friday night all through the weekend every week during Food and Wine. (Some include Thursday night because that's a big party night for college students.) Anyway, sounds like a good day at the MK and with all the negativity that happened later on that day, I hope your experiences at the MK did overshadow that. If it didn't, my deepest sympathies for that. Hope to hear better stories and experiences at Port Orleans and the rest of the trip! biggrin

"All my life I wonder how it feels to pass a day, not above them but part of them.

And out there living in the sun, give me one day out there, all I ask is one to hold forever. Out there where they all live unaware, what I'd give, what I'd dare, just to live one day out there."

amy1989's picture

I'm so pleased things brightened up after your not nice start - onward and upward to the magic!!!!

Jaw food and wine was horrible every time we went near it, even if it wasn't crowded the general people there are not "disney people" in fact a lot of parents with very small children were drinking a little too much and then either letting kids run riot or just snapping at kids its a horrible bunch of people very universal studios like.... Not my kinda crowd.

AnnielovesDisney's picture

designedbydisney wrote:
Jaw food and wine was horrible every time we went near it, even if it wasn't crowded the general people there are not "disney people" in fact a lot of parents with very small children were drinking a little too much and then either letting kids run riot or just snapping at kids its a horrible bunch of people very universal studios like.... Not my kinda crowd.

I don't think F&W bring out the worst people, they are in all the parks! DH and I have seen more children getting yelled at and hit by their parents at MK than any other park. And MK is the most iconic Disney World park of the 4 parks!

Day 3 up at 6am ready for our transport over to riverside we got there by 7:39, but couldn't check in until 1pm not a problem though.. I have to say wow PORS was beautiful, much more like a disney resort, super friendly staff and what a lobby! We feel in love. We checked our bags and got a bus to hollywood studios ready for rope drop. Our pal. Of action here is always the same as we get a fast pass for TSM we head straight to the great movie ride. I still see this as the feature of the park (better now the hat is going) we then take a slow walk around doing the attractions one by one, starting with star tours then the muppets round the park clockwise.... Doing our fast passes as they come up... We also do the shows on a sewerage day.... Any way on our trip around the park we stopped for cupcakes at starring rolls bakery which re a snack credit I got the butterfinger and my DF got the frozen elsa one. Here is a little note on why research is so good, before we went using this site and disney food blog And disney tourist blog I made note of the best use of snack credits, all the restraints are so over whelming when we meet up outside with the first timers in our party (who had done no planning) they had opted for toasted bagels and were disappointed when they saw our cupcakes cause they didn't know. We had never had cupcakes here and I must say the butter finger one is now a must have.

By 2pm we were done with tower of terror and done with the park attractions wise we had hit everything at least once, so we headed to our ADR at Sci fi dine in. Which in my opinion is one of the best resturants on property..... We love it there, we are sad with the rumours it may be going and won't be going in March but if this is our final visit it was great, we chose the limo Seats cause theres more room, our server was great I believe we had burgers all round I opted for the picnic burger.... And oh my it was amazing, tender, flavourful and just perfect.... For dessert we had one of everything and split them my favourite was the turtle cheese cake... This is the great thing about the dinning plan and four people you can just get one of everything and nibble about.

After dinner it was back to PORS to check in, our rooms were so close to the lobby and pool it was amazing and our view is pictured below.

We decided to sort our rooms out with were so lovely, we are huge princess and the frog fans so we loved the decor. Then we took some time to relax in the main pool and play on the slide. We feel in love with the pool in seconds it was so much fun. After swimming we sat and watched a storm circle around disney world and grabbed a bus back to HS ready for fantasmic, we had grabbed a fast pass for it at 2 on our way out the park. We got in and got high up centre seats thanks to my GAC. The show was as amazing as always and as Mickey disapeared at the end the heavens opened and it poured down, like magic. While everyone else hid in stores we took advantage of the low crowds and walked out the park and to a taxi.... We had a late night date with Walmart.. That's a pretty boring story we brought pumpkin buckets for our mnsshp. The. Back in a taxi home and in bed by 12:30. Not bad.... Aground a pretty magical day

PreviewAttachmentSize
image.jpg
image.jpg669.64 KB
The Watchmaker's picture

As a matter of interest..Was the big wheel turning..We visited PORS for old times sake, and it wasn't moving..

The Watchmaker's picture

The water mill that is..

It was moving every day but one due to a photshoot

jw24's picture

designedbydisney wrote:

That makes sense. Food and Wine tends to attract more locals to the parks and anytime you bring alcohol in the mix to any public place or event, that is almost asking for a recipe for disaster. Having said that, glad to hear you had better experiences at Port Orleans. You had such a nice room!

Mousedreaming's picture

Thank you for that beautiful picture. Wish I had that view, now...

*Proud Disney Nut*

RobynPrincess's picture

I can't quite believe the start of your TR!!! Well I mean I can and do believe it but OMG!!! Nice to know Disney are trying their best to make it right for you though Laughing out loud we had a pretty horrific experience with a CM with the manager of yachtsman's rolling her eyes at us but I followed her there and then and told her that she was out of order. TBH I have in the past had the same response from a CM about not looking disabled, that was in 2008 though and before I knew better to say something to their manager, I just went out and cried.

Enjoyed reading the rest of your trip report though, keep it coming!

Our Very Merry 24 nighter Nov/Dec 15
Watson's go West May 15
The one with all the birthdays Oct 14 4 Big Birthdays and a Vow Renewal thrown in
The OMG trip June 14 30th Birthday present from the hubs
Girly trip March 14 A last min cheapy week
September 13 our first all DVC stay
TR May 2013 the last min bargain trip offsite
Oct 2012 TR with a cruise!big family trip featuring the beach club, AKL, the dream and a villa offsite
TR on a budget May - June 2011offsite condo
TR Sept - Oct 2010 big family trip in an offsite villa

Day four: after a wonderful night at PORS we were up early at 6am dress and full of coffee by 7am and in a taxi over to animal kingdom for our 8 am ADR at Tusker house. We love walking in to the park when it's empty and got the homer of being the first family in to the park that day. Tusker house is a great resturant we can recommend it enough meeting Mickey and the gang is always good, we love meeting with donald. The food is always fantasic, I always do a plate of American, fruit and then a plate of African... This really sets me in the mood for the safari. And that's where we headed after eatting. We had the best guide we have ever had on the tour and were lucky enough to sit in the front row. Boarding this ride at 9am means the animals are up and active and we even saw the lions up and moving!

After the safari we toured the park clockwise as always again like DHS missing the shows.... Cause we do these a separate day. We saw loads of animals including the baby gorillas, the only thing we missed was the Tigers Sad we were super lucky and our fast passes just happened to be open when we got to each attraction, by 2pm we were sitting having a frozen coke and ridding dinosaur by 3pm we had finished our meet and great with baloo and Louie and were leaving the park having done everything , it's a werid tradition but we always stop in rain forest cafe for a drink at the bar cause why not. At 4:30 we were heading to Magic Kingdom for the evening.

When we got to MK everyone seemed to be leaving we used our blanket fast passes to meet talking Mickey : oh my god I get ready now just thinking about it. And the mine train which we got excavated from... Which was super fun we got to walk back stage and see the end scene up close it was really cool, of course for our first ride it would have been cool to have finished the ride but hey ho. We grab dinner at cosmic rays and watched the whole of sonnys show, he was really on form that night but sadly played the same set list... In 20 years he always seems to be playing the same set, but I gues the crowds wanna hear the hits Smile in case you were wondering I had the clicking and ribs combo as a counter service credit.

We then meet with goofy and donald, saw the hall of presidents and meet with the others to watch wishes which was awesome! We then walked down to the end of Main Street and grabed an empty curb seat for mselp which was as magical as always... After the parade we walked to our bus home watched yee haw Bob rocking out for 10 mins and floated back to our room on a cloud of magic.... Dreaming of day 5... And MNSSHP...

Day five- we decided to again get up early as we were heading to typhoon lagoon, what? i hear you cry! "it doesn't open until 10!" but the early bird catches the worm, because you see if you are there at 9:15 you can be first in line and bag one of the umbrellas on the wave pool beach. we managed to grab one with 4 chairs.... 10 feet from the drinks station it was perfect. We spent our day doing everything you do there, sun bathing, swimming, the lazy river and all the rides by 1:30 we were done and we headed home to change for MNSSHP.

we had a last minute costume change and my fiance and I disney bounded as daisy and donald duck, which was a lot of fun. we grabbed a taxi to the comp and walked in to MK, grabbed wrist bands and head to Liberty tree for our 4pm ADR.... I love the feel of liberty tree but the food is Meh, nothing like an english roast dinner and thats okay because its not meant to be it traditional american food but I would rush backm the meat was pretty dry and now its characterless it doesn't seem worth the money.

at 5:30 we heard down main street to get in line for Jack and sally which every site had advised, meeting them was one of the reasons we booked our trip as TNBC was one of my favourite childhood movies, I was prepared to wait in line for 1 and half hours before the party started rather then waste party time, when we arrived the line was 10 families deep, to pass the time we all made friends and chatted and then at 6pm unattached Jack and Sally started meeting, this lead to a riot at the back of the line with the CMs getting shouted at while they turned non party goers away and while non wrist banding party goes started running around all over main street... from where we were standing it was funny to watch but we really felt for the poor cm.

Jack and sally we amazing and it made my trip, it was a dream come true. a great meet.

after we walked to the emporium and brought mercy which again was all out early..weird. and got to adventure land for 7pm. to work clockwise around the park trick or treating and meeting character, in order we met...

Aladdin and Abu
Jaffar
Donald and daisy they loved our costumes
goofy
the old hag
lotso

after that we headed to the casey to see hallo wishes and got a curb for the parade... both of these events make the ticket price worth while. I doubted everybody who has said this but they are really great, after the parade we hot footed to the dwarfs and managed to be 3 families from the line getting cut! the dwarfs were great and I'm so glad we met them they were so, so , so much fun, they all shock my hand in the style of their name it was great.

After this met we took a slow walk out taking photos as we left.

My reflections on the party are, dress up! the couple we were with didn't and they didn't get as much candy as us. Im sad we missed tarzan and jane and the pooh character, and didn't get to ride the haunted mansion, we also missed seeing a whole mix and mingle and the dance party. We should have used our comp money to go back and do the dinner package... that fact with bother me to my grave because we just should have done it, I'm gutted we didn't but we did have a great time. would we go again..... yes tomorrow, its worth every penny, but... we love meeting character. the only thing i wouldn't do again is trick or treat, yeah its fun and free candy but we could have spent PS10 in walmart to get candy, next time I would do this at the end of the night.

tomorrow brings tales od Adventure, pirates, tiki birds, dole whips, singing bears, mountains, 999 happy haunts and grey stuff

azdisneydvc's picture

I have my DVC interest at OKW - very disappointed in your initial experience. We will be staying there in our trip in 14 days. We are flying a redeye flight into Orlando, so we will be checking in really early in the morning - which, I know the rooms will probably not be ready. But we are prepared for that. I know even after the last upgrading at OKW, we did not see that much of a difference. I know OKW is getting dated and may need a major facelift rather than a cosmetic one.
We have yet to have a bad experience there during check-in, but since we'll be getting to the resort fairly early in the morning, we'll see if there is a difference. Will report later.....

Scott

crazycatperson's picture

I'm so glad your trip got better after that horrid first day. I can't understand it; we stayed at OKW just two years ago, our rooms were lovely, and we had no problems whatever with any of the CMs. I hope your experience was an aberration and not an indication that the whole resort is sliding downhill fast. I'd say that first fellow won't last long as a Disney CM with his attitude, especially since the manager clearly does know how to provide real Disney service.

Hey guys, well we were told by the manager that she deals with complains about rude staff and bad rooms all day, and that things won't get sorted as disney have other plans at the resort.

I browsed trip advisor and they are some great and some awful reviews but rarely Middle ground it's almost as thought he good ones have been faked because they all appear a day after one negative post, also I wondered what she meant by plans...... OKW sits on a lot of land, a scary amount, disney are upgrading down town to disney springs which OKW is attached to by water, is it in the realms of fiction that OKW could be destroyed and the land could be used for a small 5th gate or 3rd water park? Or even a new resort themed to disney springs?

The room we had honestly was a dump and again after research had been returned a year ago. It smelt awful. The resot needs help, it's dirty and just kind of broken.... We both though all star music was in better shape.

I hope your trip there is better than ours but my advice is, if you are in happy ask to move, although we had friends staying at Saratoga springs they hated it and disney refused to move them.