October 21-24 2012

Login to post comments
11 posts / 0 new
ANParker's picture
October 21-24 2012

Ok, does anybody know of anything going on at WDW during this time? I only ask because we (finally) went to book our room for our wedding anniversary at AKL lodge last week and discovered an issue with our last night. There was NO availability! eek Nothing at AKL at all, limited suites at the Deluxes, NO moderate rooms available except the cabins at Fort Wilderness, and select Value Resort rooms. confused So right now we're moving from AKL to POP on the last day of our vacation... it just seems such a random time for nearly all the WDW to be completely filled out. Is there something going on (besides Food & Wine and MNSSHP) that I don't know about??? I thought this was supposed to be a slower time of the year!!

MrHub's picture

No thats a pretty busy time of year now because of the F & W F. It was pack last Oct when we were there.

DisneyDee27's picture

I'm not surprised...the Food & Wine is like Xmas time. It's very busy...plus the free dining plan for the moderates is a huge step up from the value and QS plan. We like to stay at a value and upgrade the meal plan.
Congrats on the wedding anniversary yay

Member of the 6 castle club and working to pay for my next Disney vacations: 1/5-10/18, September 2018 for my 50th and 2018 the year of Disney cruising.

RobynPrincess's picture

Uk school holidays are off then too x

Our Very Merry 24 nighter Nov/Dec 15
Watson's go West May 15
The one with all the birthdays Oct 14 4 Big Birthdays and a Vow Renewal thrown in
The OMG trip June 14 30th Birthday present from the hubs
Girly trip March 14 A last min cheapy week
September 13 our first all DVC stay
TR May 2013 the last min bargain trip offsite
Oct 2012 TR with a cruise!big family trip featuring the beach club, AKL, the dream and a villa offsite
TR on a budget May - June 2011offsite condo
TR Sept - Oct 2010 big family trip in an offsite villa

We have a long weekend, no school that Monday. I think it's probably true with many of the local counties around here. It's the end of the first quarter which means a long weekend. That plus the F&W will attract a lot of locals for the weekend.

Julie

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust

belle1082's picture

That is making me nervous! We are going from Oct 27 - Nov 4 and historically, that is supposed to be like the 6th slowest week of the year.

Is that still the case?? What is up?!

Kristen K.'s picture

Disney has gotten very good at manipulating crowd levels so that they can have a more consistent flow of people. While there used to be weeks that were completely dead, it's not always as obvious any more. They have been able to do this by using several different methods including: special events, free dining and DVC point manipulation. Though it's not as good for the people who like to travel at slower times, it has been very good for the company.

Here are the overall crowd levels according to Touring Plans. These are based off or ride wait times:

Saturday, October 27, 2012
Overall Crowds Crowd Level: 8 out of 10

Sunday, October 28, 2012
Overall Crowds Crowd Level: 3 out of 10

Monday, October 29, 2012
Overall Crowds Crowd Level: 5 out of 10

Tuesday, October 30, 2012
Overall Crowds Crowd Level: 2 out of 10

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Friday, November 2, 2012

Saturday, November 3, 2012
Overall Crowds Crowd Level: 9 out of 10

Sunday, November 4, 2012
Overall Crowds Crowd Level: 4 out of 10

Sunday, November 4, 2012
Overall Crowds Crowd Level: 4 out of 10

The Cookie Crumbler's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
Disney has gotten very good at manipulating crowd levels so that they can have a more consistent flow of people. While there used to be weeks that were completely dead, it's not always as obvious any more. They have been able to do this by using several different methods including: special events, free dining and DVC point manipulation. Though it's not as good for the people who like to travel at slower times, it has been very good for the company.

The departure day for our January trip is the Friday of the marathon event! Have a feeling it's going to get crowded that day. wink

Fellow Americans, I hear your tambourines inside my head and that's no lie!

Kristen K.'s picture

Yep! I would agree with that, especially this one. However a lot of folks will just be getting in on Friday and those that come in before will be doing Friday packet pick-up and the expo over at the Wide World of Sports. It may not seem more crowded before the afternoon.

The Cookie Crumbler's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
Yep! I would agree with that, especially this one. However a lot of folks will just be getting in on Friday and those that come in before will be doing Friday packet pick-up and the expo over at the Wide World of Sports. It may not seem more crowded before the afternoon.

Good to know! We're actually leaving around 12 so it shouldn't be bad, but something to keep in mind when scheduling the car service.

Fellow Americans, I hear your tambourines inside my head and that's no lie!

belle1082's picture

Well, hopefully with mostly 5's and lower for crowd levels, we will be okay. The last couple times I have gone when it was supposed to be more on the quiet side and it wasn't. So, hoping for SOME breaks from the craziness.

Last January, we arrived on the day of the Marathon. It was crazy as well as the week we were there before MLK day. There was free dining, but we also realized that that time is crazy because of overseas and many countries are on holiday during January - so it was crazy crowded.

Still keeping fingers crossed that we will have a 'slower' week. Smile