"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

JMed's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
JMed wrote:

I don't have an Apple product yuck and I am pretty sure that is the only place you can get Jeff Galloway's app... I hear it is the best. Anything else you can recommend that works really good.

You can do it! If I can get out there and train, so can you. muchlove

Check out http://www.halhigdon.com/

Hal's plans are what I have been using. I finished the 5K already and I'm on the 10K for walkers right now. He has you training more days a week than Jeff does, but I feel like I need that. 3 days a week will not get me to the finish line. Also, Hal's apps come in android.

OK WOW... eek eek

I can not figure out this app...

JMed's picture

It's real ladies!! I just signed up for the 10K. Maybe I should have gone for the Half but there is always next year!

I was having tons of issues with the app Kristen recommended so I just printed out Jeff Galloway's and will use my other run app I have for timing.

Going to start the training on Monday. Starting with the 5k (15 weeks) then the 10k (13 weeks). This still ends 3 months before the race so I might start the 1/2 training. If I do the full 19 weeks it will end right before the Cooper River Bridge Run here in Charleston so maybe I will do it again this year running instead of walking!

PreviewAttachmentSize
REGISTERED!!!!!
REGISTERED!!!!!277.36 KB

Kristen K.'s picture

Hoorah for registration! I'm all in for the Half! So crazy! clapping

Sorry that you're having trouble with that app. I'm using Hal's training plan, but not the app. I put my training plan for the next year in a google doc that I check and update every day to get an overview of how I'm doing. Here's a screen shot of it.

PreviewAttachmentSize
training_plan_google_doc.jpg
training_plan_google_doc.jpg120.28 KB
JMed's picture

I need easy, no thought involved but run, my phone records it and boom, done. laugh laugh laugh

Kristen K.'s picture

10th Anniversary Princess Half Marathon Participants
**** 2018****

***** I'll Come Cheer *****

***** 5 K *****
JoAnn C - Princess Power!
Spook - Glass Slipper Challenge!

***** 10 K *****
JMed - You can do it!
JoAnn C - Princess Power!

***** Half Marathon *****
Kristen K. - It's all or nothing!
Becks534 - Let's Do This!

Kristen K.'s picture

Hey Mark - I keep seeing your Runkeeper miles adding up there. You going to don a tutu and come join us?

Spook's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
Hey Mark - I keep seeing your Runkeeper miles adding up there. You going to don a tutu and come join us?

laugh I thought the same thing when I saw it!

Spook's picture

Congrats ladies on getting registered! I'm so excited for our Princess meet up biggrin

I met and went for a run yesterday with the girl I mentioned before. She was the one who posted in a Princess group wondering if any one else from Ontario, Canadian was going. She was really nice! I quite liked her and we're going to go for a run next week. I really hope she can get registered on Tuesday crossfingers

MrHub's picture

Spook wrote:
Kristen K. wrote:

laugh I thought the same thing when I saw it!

That would be a site wouldn't it!

JMed's picture

Day 1 of training is in the books!!! Is it race time yet???? laugh laugh laugh laugh
Im kind of embarrassed about my time, it's been a while for sure. 28 min for 1.5 mile. I was taking it slow not to overdo it and there was a warm up and cool down.

PreviewAttachmentSize
20170501_193209.jpg
20170501_193209.jpg1.48 MB

Kristen K.'s picture

JMed wrote:
Day 1 of training is in the books!!! Is it race time yet???? laugh laugh laugh laugh
Im kind of embarrassed about my time, it's been a while for sure. 28 min for 1.5 mile. I was taking it slow not to overdo it and there was a warm up and cool down.

Nope nope nope! Nothing to be embarrassed about, you still lapped everyone sitting on the couch. And - you're faster than I am and I've been working out for 8 weeks now. laugh

Kristen K.'s picture

Guess who had a sub 20 minute mile workout today! This girl! yay I'm so excited, that has been dogging me for 8 weeks now and I finally broke it. Now I just have to stay under it. I'm actually feeling like perhaps the treadmill is doing me a dis-service when it comes to my pace. I think this summer I'm going to be outside a lot more.

Kristen K.'s picture

Hey - who else is using Runkeeper? Anyone? I need some more friend connections there.

Allie's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
Hey - who else is using Runkeeper? Anyone? I need some more friend connections there.

Congrats! yay yay yay

Spook's picture

Way to go Kristen yay yay

JoAnn C's picture

Great job Kristin

Kristen K.'s picture

So - what pace do you guys train for? I've developed this fear that I am going to be running along just fine at the 16 minute pace, and then I will have to pee and end up being swept. I know that Disney suggests to train for 15 minute miles, but is that enough?

JoAnn C's picture

I need to get back on track. I've been walking with my brother. He did something to his leg and can't walk as fast. I told him he needs to get better. He's bringing me down.

JMed's picture

JoAnn C wrote:
I need to get back on track. I've been walking with my brother. He did something to his leg and can't walk as fast. I told him he needs to get better. He's bringing me down.

laugh laugh laugh laugh

I'm having hip issues, tried to get in with the chiropractor yesterday but he had eye surgery, hopefully next week!!! Still walking as much as I can but no running right now. And still doing my fitbit May challenge. I. Just. Want. To. RUN!!!!!!

Kristen K.'s picture

I did half an hour of run/walk/run yesterday! I know that it's not a lot, but I was really excited at how long I was able to do it. I'm still mostly over a 21 minute mile, but I can see small victories almost every work out. I am trying to convince myself that since there are still 40 weeks until the race that I have lots of time. I don't actually believe that yet, but I'm working on it. laugh LOL!

Becks534's picture

Greetings fellow princesses! muchlove

I realized it's been 2 months since I started training for the Princess Half and it's high time I say hello. I had a really good workout tonight. I struggle with boredom running on the treadmill and I feel like I let my head beat me way too many times. I decided to watch a video Kristen K suggested on YouTube tonight and it was great fun running along with the Princess Half 2017. At one point, I realized I was running 3:00/1:00 intervals (HUGE accomplishment for me) and I wasn't dying. I backed off to 2:00/1:00 intervals and the second half of my run was a solid 16 minute mile pace. I cannot even tell you how good that feels! I'm 40 whatever and I'm fat. I'm crazy-busy at work but wow - I can still find the time to work out. I feel better than I have in years and I'm starting to see and feel the changes in my body. How are the rest of you all doing?

Kristen K.'s picture

yay Becks!

Becks534 wrote:
I decided to watch a video Kristen K suggested on YouTube tonight and it was great fun running along with the Princess Half 2017. At one point, I realized I was running 3:00/1:00 intervals (HUGE accomplishment for me) and I wasn't dying.

LoL! Do I have to share my YouTube runner crush... errrr... training buddy with everyone now? Oh - alright...
When you're struggling on the treadmill, just pull up one of Gerald's runDisney race videos and run the course with him. The production quality is really high, and he runs with a gimbal so its all nice and smooth. Running "with" him on the Disney courses really makes treadmill time go fast.

https://

JMed's picture

GREAT JOB BECKS!!!!

On the other hand I have hit a wall. My joints are acting up again and I just can't get it together. I honestly don't know what in the world to do at this point. I can walk with just minimal pain but as soon as I turn on the speed I am in excruciating pain. Went to the chiropractor Tuesday to start getting back in line a bit and hoping that helps. So just a lot of walking right now...

ALL I CAN DO IS CROSS MY FINGERS AND MOVE ON. But walking ain't gonna get me to the end without being sweeped sad

i just skimmed thru the video, when they ran under the MK gates, I cried...

Kristen K.'s picture

JMed wrote:

ALL I CAN DO IS CROSS MY FINGERS AND MOVE ON. But walking ain't gonna get me to the end without being sweeped sad

First - we still have 40 weeks before the races. You've totally got this, just keep active and walk as you can. Also, what sort of pace are you walking at? If it makes you feel any better I'm slogging along at 22:35. I haven't had another worthy drop in my time for awhile. I did one day that was under 20 minutes, but apparently that was a fluke. Lots of time left to train and be well.

disneydoc's picture

well guys I REALLY wanted to give a Disney 5K a go for the first time, but I have a torn meniscus that needs some attention. Anyone have this experience?

Doctor says after the surgery (most likely) I should be able to RUN if I want - have not been able to do that in YEARS and in the past few months I cannot even walk without swelling and pain. Finally figured out what is wrong, hardheaded me went to the doc. I am a little slow. Smile mickey

So I am inspired by you all and want to join you in 2018.

Will be hobbling around the World next week.. wink

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker DIStickers.com Ticker

Kristen K.'s picture

You should TOTALLY come join us! The 5Ks are very generous with pace, even though they say you need to maintain a 16 minute pace, I have walked them at a 20 minute pace and been just fine. That means that if you get on the course and you don't feel like you can run the whole thing you will still be able to finish by walking. If your doctor thinks you can do it, you totally should!!

Here's the big question though, can you get a race registration for the 5K? Looking at the runDisney site they seem to be sold out of direct sales, that means that you would have to get your bib through running with a charity or travel group. There are several listed on the runDisney site that you could look into.

Kristen K.'s picture

I have a 5 miler tomorrow - yikes! I figure that it will take me almost 2 hours.

PreviewAttachmentSize
even-miracle-take-a-little-time.png
even-miracle-take-a-little-time.png594.67 KB
disneydoc's picture

Hey Kristen - I think you are right about missing the registration window - duh! Guess I will plan and register for 2019 - wanna come?

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker DIStickers.com Ticker

Kristen K.'s picture

2019 Princess is something on my mind, we'll see how 2018 goes first!

I completed my 5-miler today and I'm so proud of myself! I even finished 10 minutes faster than I had anticipated.

PreviewAttachmentSize
5-miler-results.png
5-miler-results.png70.96 KB