Random Acts of Kindness at WDW

Login to post comments
23 posts / 0 new
Offline
Joined: 08/30/2008
Posts: 3555
Random Acts of Kindness at WDW

Have you viewed, or you yourself performed, random acts of kindness at WDW?

I have, and many of these are such simply acts, but it can make the difference between a pleasant, magical experience versus a run-of-the-mill day.

I was in line at Flame Tree BBQ after the cash register but waiting for the food when a mother and a very annoyed (and annoying) young boy approached along side me. The boy obviously was not in a good mood and acting up a bit, and just giving the mother all she could handle as she's trying to put her money back into her purse and straightening things out. They were both at the front of the counter and the their food had arrived but the boy was still asking and wanting something and the mother just simply having to deal with too many things at once.

This was when a cast member on the other side of the counter suddenly said loud enough for the boy to hear "Oh look, it's Mickey Mouse!" The boy was wearing a Mickey Ears hat. He stopped his complaining, and the cast member against said to another cast member, "Look, it's Mickey Mouse! Can you believe that Mickey is here?" The boy stopped and looked at the cast member and said "I'm not Mickey Mouse". But the cast member continued "Oh yes you are, you have big round ears. You are Mickey Mouse"... This continued for a few seconds, enough that the mother could gather her self, get her purse closed, and able to grab her tray of food. She then looked at the cast member said mouthed to her softly "Thank you!"

The cast member managed to distract the boy long enough to let the mother have just enough time to sort things out and get what she needed. That cast member didn't have to do that. It wasn't part of her job. But she obviously saw what was going on, and decided upon herself to do what she knew best to help a guest. And I had full view of what happened and it has stuck in my head ever since. I wish at that time I could get that cast member's name and commended her to Guest Relations. I regretted not doing that.

Zz.

__________________

No longer an active member.

SpaceAce's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2008
Posts: 2532

Great story, Zapperz. I'm always amazed to see the disney CMs go out of their way to make everyone's day. I've worked customer service jobs and am NOT certain that I could be kind and helpful as often as I've experienced there. Especially when it's 95 degrees!

__________________

[url=http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/'http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

2010 Beach Club Resort
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2009 CBR/Polynesian

cdub's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3220

I've told the story about my Illuminations Cruise before. I think that's a great example of the kind of great things that only happen in Disney World.

admin's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/14/2010
Posts: 2733

That's such a cool story, Zapperz. Especially when a CM would take the time to focus on what the customer really needed--even when her kid was a little annoying...

I've had so many great experiences with CMs. The ones that really stand out have to do with the hotels, though. I've had front desk CMs take extra time to be sure they're meeting as many of my room requests as possible--and I KNOW how completely frustrating it gets when guest after guest comes up with a million requests that they want met.

Also, Art the greeter at the Beach Club is always ALWAYS in a wonderful mood. He truly makes me feel I'M the reason he came to work that day! It just makes me smile to talk to him.

Offline
Joined: 08/30/2008
Posts: 3555

I would say that another random act of kindness would be to offer to take a picture of a couple or a group, so that the photographer could also be in the picture. I often do this, especially when we are also taking pictures at the more popular spot. It is amazing how such a simple act can bring a smile to someone's face. I've had large groups of people profusely thanked me for taking their picture. I'm guessing that for the trip, they didn't get a lot of pictures consisting of every member of the group in one shot.

In the end, I think I felt almost as good as they did, and it brought me joy to think that in some small way, I contributed to their magical experience at WDW.

Zz.

__________________

No longer an active member.

cdub's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3220

ZapperZ wrote:
I would say that another random act of kindness would be to offer to take a picture of a couple or a group, so that the photographer could also be in the picture. I often do this, especially when we are also taking pictures at the more popular spot. It is amazing how such a simple act can bring a smile to someone's face. I've had large groups of people profusely thanked me for taking their picture. I'm guessing that for the trip, they didn't get a lot of pictures consisting of every member of the group in one shot.

In the end, I think I felt almost as good as they did, and it brought me joy to think that in some small way, I contributed to their magical experience at WDW.

Zz.

It's an act of kindness when you're such a skilled photographer. For me it puts too much pressure on me! I always put the heads in the middle of the picture instead of at the top and then I'm just the passer by who took a horrible picture!

SoloFriendly's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/18/2008
Posts: 556

Quote:
I would say that another random act of kindness would be to offer to
take a picture of a couple or a group, so that the photographer could
also be in the picture. I often do this, especially when we are also
taking pictures at the more popular spot. It is amazing how such a
simple act can bring a smile to someone's face. I've had large groups
of people profusely thanked me for taking their picture. I'm guessing
that for the trip, they didn't get a lot of pictures consisting of
every member of the group in one shot.

I'm probably going to do a blog post about this...I did this probably 12-20 times during my trip. Mostly it was me offering, and a couple of times people asked me if I wouldn't mind. And of course I was happy to do it, because I knew it would mean a lot to them, and they seemed very appreciative,and it made me feel good to help out.... BUT.....

What started to annoy me was that NONE of them ever offered to reciprocate. It was all "Oh thank you very much!" and then they'd rush off.

I mean here I was, a solo traveler, in the park with my camera and no one to take my picture for me, and I'm being nice enough to take theirs for them, but it never crossed any of their minds that I might like having some pictures of myself on my vacation too. (Yes, I did ask Photopass photographers, so I have a picture of me from every park, but that's not the point.) I just thought it was kind of self-absorbed of them. I could have asked, but I didn't want the pictures that badly (my hair was kind of a mess most of the time, LOL).

But I would have appreciated if one of them had at least offered. You know what I mean? Wouldn't that be the polite thing to do?

__________________

Gray
SoloFriendly.com

bali's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3444

SoloFriendly wrote:
I just thought it was kind of self-absorbed of them. I could have asked, but I didn't want the pictures that badly (my hair was kind of a mess most of the time, LOL).



People at Disney World self-absorbed?!??! eek Never!

__________________


May 2008 CSR mickey

Offline
Joined: 08/30/2008
Posts: 3555

SoloFriendly wrote:

I'm probably going to do a blog post about this...I did this probably 12-20 times during my trip. Mostly it was me offering, and a couple of times people asked me if I wouldn't mind. And of course I was happy to do it, because I knew it would mean a lot to them, and they seemed very appreciative,and it made me feel good to help out.... BUT.....

What started to annoy me was that NONE of them ever offered to reciprocate. It was all "Oh thank you very much!" and then they'd rush off.

I mean here I was, a solo traveler, in the park with my camera and no one to take my picture for me, and I'm being nice enough to take theirs for them, but it never crossed any of their minds that I might like having some pictures of myself on my vacation too. (Yes, I did ask Photopass photographers, so I have a picture of me from every park, but that's not the point.) I just thought it was kind of self-absorbed of them. I could have asked, but I didn't want the pictures that badly (my hair was kind of a mess most of the time, LOL).

But I would have appreciated if one of them had at least offered. You know what I mean? Wouldn't that be the polite thing to do

You're definitely right. It would have been nice if the offered to return the gesture.

I've had the offer a few times after I took pictures for others. However, certainly half of the time at least, no reciprocity were ever offered. I guess I don't make a big deal out of it because I've had plenty of pictures already, especially at many of the photo op locations.

But like you said, it is only common courtesy to turn around and offer to do the same for the person who had graciously offered to take one's pictures.

Although, I must admit that in some cases, after I've snapped their pictures, I've asked if they wouldn't mind taking ours. I don't recall anyone refusing to do that. So maybe we should allow for the fact that some people may simply forget their good manners, which is understandable. Some people, especially first-timers, can get quite overwhelmed by the experience at being at the Most Magical Place on Earth. Smile

Zz.

__________________

No longer an active member.

SoloFriendly's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/18/2008
Posts: 556

Quote:
Although, I must admit that in some cases, after I've snapped their pictures, I've asked
if they wouldn't mind taking ours. I don't recall anyone refusing to do
that. So maybe we should allow for the fact that some people may simply
forget their good manners, which is understandable. Some people,
especially first-timers, can get quite overwhelmed by the experience at
being at the Most Magical Place on Earth. Smile

Indeed. Which is why I guess I can't be too upset, because I didn't ask and I'm sure if I had, they would have obliged. It's true that there is a lot of sensory overload at WDW and it's easy to get overwhelmed by it. It's much like Vegas in that regard.

__________________

Gray
SoloFriendly.com

Brad's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/05/2008
Posts: 4357

I've taken a lot of pictures for other people and I've never had anyone offer to reciprocate. I don't mind because I didn't really want a picture, but just to help in building your survey, I've never had anyone ask if we wanted them to return the favor.

bali's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3444

I'm a big fan of giving away fastpasses when I'm not going to use them. I guess I'm not all THAT kind, as I'm not sacrificing anything, but you can really make someone's day on a busy/crowded day in the parks by handing them a fastpass for an e-ticket ride.

__________________


May 2008 CSR mickey

Offline
Joined: 08/30/2008
Posts: 3555

bali wrote:
I'm a big fan of giving away fastpasses when I'm not going to use them. I guess I'm not all THAT kind, as I'm not sacrificing anything, but you can really make someone's day on a busy/crowded day in the parks by handing them a fastpass for an e-ticket ride.

That still counts as an act of kindness. I try to do that as well, because there have been a few times when I was the recipient of such acts. And I know that I was utterly grateful.

Zz.

__________________

No longer an active member.

dsoup's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/11/2008
Posts: 2884

ZapperZ wrote:
bali wrote:
I'm a big fan of giving away fastpasses when I'm not going to use them. I guess I'm not all THAT kind, as I'm not sacrificing anything, but you can really make someone's day on a busy/crowded day in the parks by handing them a fastpass for an e-ticket ride.

That still counts as an act of kindness. I try to do that as well, because there have been a few times when I was the recipient of such acts. And I know that I was utterly grateful.

Zz.

Have you ever gotten grief from the CMs for that? Is there any reason for them to complain?

Offline
Joined: 08/30/2008
Posts: 3555

dsoup wrote:
Have you ever gotten grief from the CMs for that? Is there any reason for them to complain?

Nope. Never had any problems from cast members for that.

Zz.

__________________

No longer an active member.

cdub's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3220

I can't imagine anyone complaining about it. Although I suspect a certain number of wasted fastpasses are included in their calculations. I usually bring home at least 4 or 5 of the "we'll come back to the park later" variety. We never come back...

Offline
Joined: 09/05/2009
Posts: 13

One time, on my last ride on Space Mountain pre-refurbishment, someone handed me a Fastpass, and gladly accepted it. That's too kind of her to hand me one! wink

__________________

To Date: 1991
(PO?); 1994 (DL/PORS);1995, 1996 (x2), 1997, 1998, 1999, 2003 (x2) 2005
(x2), 2006 (x2), 2007 (x2) 2008-2009 (x7) - all offsite

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9501

If I see someone taking a picture of another person or a group of people, I always ask if they would like me to take it , so they can be in the shot also. I do have to admit though Solo, I have never thought about it when I see a single person taking a picture, so I will have to noticing that more. It's probably just that I like to take so many pic's without people in them, it skips my mind.

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9501

When we were in WDW in Sept., I brought our Pal Mickey we purchased the first year they came out, just for the heck of it. I carried it a day or two and the belt hook broke. I decided to try to find a lanyard with a clip on it so I could hook it on Mickey and hang him from my neck. Well I could not find one with a hook on it anywhere. I had seen the CM's wearing the ones they have pins on and noticed they had a hook on the end. After searching for the day in every store I gave and decided to just stick him in my shoulder bag, but realized I couldn't really hear him when he talked or feel him when he vibrated. The next day, before getting on the monorail for the MK we stopped in at the gift shop in the Poly. I asked the CM at the register if they sold any lanyard with the clip on them like she was wearing. She looked around the store for several minutes, couldn't find , and said she would check in the back, and would only be a minute. When she returned, she said she couldn 't find any and was very sorry. She then took the one off from around her neck, pins and all and handed it to me and said "Here sir, have a Magical Day". I tried to decline offer and told her to at least take the pins, but she wouldn't here of it. I thanked her several times. Stunned I walked out with a smile from Mickey Ear to Mickey Ear, the lanyrd that I wanted, and the feeling knowing "the magic is still here". It took me by such surprise, I forgot to ask her name. I went back the next day, but she wasn't there and the CM working didn't know who was working the day before.

SpaceAce's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2008
Posts: 2532

mrhub wrote:
She then took the one off from around her neck, pins and all and handed it to me and said "Here sir, have a Magical Day". I tried to decline offer and told her to at least take the pins, but she wouldn't here of it. I thanked her several times. Stunned I walked out with a smile from Mickey Ear to Mickey Ear, the lanyrd that I wanted, and the feeling knowing "the magic is still here". It took me by such surprise, I forgot to ask her name. I went back the next day, but she wasn't there and the CM working didn't know who was working the day before.

stars Pretty great pixie dust story, I think! Thank you for telling us about that one...it's one for the books to be sure. How many CMs would think to do that? mickey

__________________

[url=http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/'http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

2010 Beach Club Resort
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2009 CBR/Polynesian

LeCellierBuff1963's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/30/2008
Posts: 529

Hi,

As many of you know, when I go to WDW I go alone. In 2006, I was at DHS (then Disney-MGM Studios) I stood in front of the Sorcerer Mickey hat to take a picture of it. A CM to my left called out to me, "Do you want to be in the picture?" I said, "Sure", handed her my camera and stood in front of the hat. Picture takem.

Jim

cdub's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3220

CMs are great about stuff like that. Fortunately solo at WDW doesn't seem to be terribly uncommon, so they know how to handle it.

Brad's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/05/2008
Posts: 4357

There are quite a few things that are of questionable value in taking home that can really help someone out. A pancho for instance, or like you mentioned a pal mickey (although that's a bit more fun to take home.) Usually if we buy it there and its functional instead of fun we tend to give it away before we leave.