Ways to cheer up on the last day of vacation?

Login to post comments
24 posts / 0 new
bali's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3444
Ways to cheer up on the last day of vacation?

Sometimes we plan a great meal or something for the last day of our vacation so we have something to look forward to the whole time. But we're still depressed at the end! laugh Would love to hear your ideas for cheering up on the last day mickey

__________________


May 2008 CSR mickey

Vettelover's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2009
Posts: 4657

How about thinking of something great to do once you get back home, like writing a trip report for everyone else and reliving the vacation though the writing of it.

__________________

SpaceAce's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2008
Posts: 2532

Vettelover wrote:
How about thinking of something great to do once you get back home, like writing a trip report for everyone else and reliving the vacation though the writing of it.

I like that! We all benefit! mickey

We also like to give ourselves a day or two when we get home before going back to work. We relax, see a movie or two, sleep, sort through photos, and just detox before starting our lives back up.

__________________

[url=http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/'http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

2010 Beach Club Resort
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2009 CBR/Polynesian

milliehubbard's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/25/2009
Posts: 489

Vettelover wrote:
How about thinking of something great to do once you get back home, like writing a trip report for everyone else and reliving the vacation though the writing of it.


I'd have to agree with this, I have certainly enjoyed writing my TR and remembering our wonderful vacation muchlove

I also like to "window shop" all week and then do my "final shop" on the last day, it kind of softens the blow of the realization that vacation is almost over. I do make an exception to this if we are not spending our last day in the parks. I have to remember to pick up those items that are only available at the parks when we are there. Plus resort delivery is a nice service...

We also do try and plan a nice dinner for our last day, a nice way to finish on a "high note"!!

__________________

Resorts

2017 AKL-Jambo House (May)
2017 Old Key West (Apr)
2016 Port Orleans Riverside (Oct)-Hurricane Matthew!!
2016 Old Key West (Aug)
2016 CBR (Jul)
2016 Art of Animation (May)
2015 Ft. Wilderness Campground (Oct)
2014 Sherwood Forest RV Park (Nov)
2013 Pop Century (Jul)
2012 Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress (Jul)
2011 Radisson Lake Buena Vista (Aug)
2010 Pop Century (Nov)
2009 PO Riverside (Jul)
2008 Pop Century (Apr)
2006-2007 FL residents: Hunters Creek 8 miles from the parks!!
2005 All Star Sports (Jul)
2005 PO Riverside/CBR/CSR (Apr)
mickey

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker Free Disney Tickers

cdub's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3220

We always try to have a meal that we're most looking forward to at the end. Which is great, unless that meal ends up being a disappointment. sad

bali's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3444

@Millie -- great idea to save up the shopping for the whole trip. Then I can use my AP discount at World of Disney at the end to buy everything!

@SpaceAce -- Thanks for the suggestion of adding an extra couple of days at the end of the trip prior to going back to work. We usually can't bear having "vacation days" that we don't spend at Disney, but I really think this could help.

@cdub -- Yep! That meal is usually pretty helpful. We just have to make sure it's at a place we KNOW we love.

__________________


May 2008 CSR mickey

cdub's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3220

We always like to make sure our next trip is already reserved before we leave the park. Although we've failed to keep up the streak recently.

Brad's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/05/2008
Posts: 4357

cdub wrote:
We always like to make sure our next trip is already reserved before we leave the park. Although we've failed to keep up the streak recently.

I've heard that one from a lot of people. We tend to go on the spur of the moment lately, but I could see how that would be a relaxing approach. "We'll be back soon."

Annie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 1610

Those are some great answers so far! We'll definitely try those, but for now we just self-medicate by getting giant ice cream sundaes on the day we leave.

SoloFriendly's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/18/2008
Posts: 556

Well, first off, plan a long enough vacation that you have time to do everything you want to do, so you don't leave with regrets. That way, I actually don't need cheering up on my last day. By the last day, I'm ready to go home.

__________________

Gray
SoloFriendly.com

cdub's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3220

SoloFriendly wrote:
Well, first off, plan a long enough vacation that you have time to do everything you want to do, so you don't leave with regrets. That way, I actually don't need cheering up on my last day. By the last day, I'm ready to go home.It w

That's a really good point. Believe it or not on some of our longer trips I was kind of "Disney-ed out" by the time we left. It was definitely a case of diminishing returns at that point. How long do you typically travel for Gray?

SoloFriendly's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/18/2008
Posts: 556

I used to travel just 4-5 nights on vacation, but this time, I went for 7 nights and 8 days and realized I love that schedule much more. So when I booked my Vegas trip for September, I booked 7 nights. Anything less than a week leaves me feeling exhausted because I try to cram so much in and don't give myself time to relax. With 7 nights, I have plenty of time to build in "resting time".

__________________

Gray
SoloFriendly.com

SpaceAce's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2008
Posts: 2532

SoloFriendly wrote:
I used to travel just 4-5 nights on vacation, but this time, I went for 7 nights and 8 days and realized I love that schedule much more. So when I booked my Vegas trip for September, I booked 7 nights. Anything less than a week leaves me feeling exhausted because I try to cram so much in and don't give myself time to relax. With 7 nights, I have plenty of time to build in "resting time".

That's a good point. As long as your schedule can take it, go for a bit longer than you think you need.

__________________

[url=http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/'http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

2010 Beach Club Resort
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2009 CBR/Polynesian

Offline
Joined: 09/05/2009
Posts: 13

I live in Florida, and on the last day of a Disney vacation (more like
a Disney staycation), I think about blogging and sharing pics with my
Facebook peeps! I like living here (despite all the lizards and stuff)
- and it softens the blow of post-vacation blues!

__________________

To Date: 1991
(PO?); 1994 (DL/PORS);1995, 1996 (x2), 1997, 1998, 1999, 2003 (x2) 2005
(x2), 2006 (x2), 2007 (x2) 2008-2009 (x7) - all offsite

bali's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3444

That's a good point -- if you live there, you can always tell yourself you'll head back for a day trip or a weekend. Smile

__________________


May 2008 CSR mickey

Offline
Joined: 04/03/2009
Posts: 86

I am a strong believer in the philosophy that when any vacation ends, the next one should already be booked! My first thought when I read the title of this thread was "Book the next one, of course!" mickey

SpaceAce's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2008
Posts: 2532

dopeynme wrote:
I am a strong believer in the philosophy that when any vacation ends, the next one should already be booked! My first thought when I read the title of this thread was "Book the next one, of course!" mickey

This does seem to be the best way to cope!

__________________

[url=http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/'http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

2010 Beach Club Resort
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2009 CBR/Polynesian

Vettelover's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2009
Posts: 4657

SpaceAce wrote:
dopeynme wrote:
I am a strong believer in the philosophy that when any vacation ends, the next one should already be booked! My first thought when I read the title of this thread was "Book the next one, of course!" mickey

This does seem to be the best way to cope!


Gee you talked me into it, see my new post about my latest booking laugh .

__________________

SpaceAce's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2008
Posts: 2532

We knew we could convince you, Vettelover!

__________________

[url=http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/'http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

2010 Beach Club Resort
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2009 CBR/Polynesian

Offline
Joined: 04/03/2009
Posts: 86

VL, welcome the the dark side, heheheheh,,,,,,, wink

Actually, it's the bright side, because you feel really good, don't you?

Annie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 1610

dopeynme wrote:
VL, welcome the the dark side, heheheheh,,,,,,, wink

Actually, it's the bright side, because you feel really good, don't you?

I figure you can ALWAYS cancel the trip, right?! It's good to have one booked when you get on that airplane home... wink

Brad's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/05/2008
Posts: 4357

I always like to eat at a favorite restaurant in my hometown when I get back. Someplace I usually don't let myself eat. It gives me something to look forward to, despite leaving the place.

Vettelover's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2009
Posts: 4657

Brad, That is a very good idea!! I just made a mental note to do that very thing upon returning from my next trip. awesome

__________________

cdub's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3220

I like any excuse to go out to eat!