Review of Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party of Tuesday Sept. 15, 2009

Login to post comments
19 posts / 0 new
Imagineer's picture
Review of Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party of Tuesday Sept. 15, 2009

We were lucky enough to attend MNSSHP on Tuesday night. The park was way under capacity for the party. Disney caps off the crowd at 22,000 for these special events, and on this particular night, only 9,000 tickets were sold.

With the rain coming down at a steady pace, we entered MK and got our wristbands and Trick or Treat bags just before 7PM. Since the park closed at 7, the announcemnts advising those not holding a ticket to leave the park were starting to come over the PA. These announcments were made by your "Ghost Host". (not Paul Frees, but a reasonably good soundalike). Of course a suggestion was made to those not holding tickets to take a walk to "Ghost" Relations at City Hall to buy a ticket.

Main St USA was decorated beautifully. Themed pumpkins adorned the tops of the shops on both sides of Main St, USA, and lampposts were festooned with Halloween and MNSSHP decor.

Our first stop, after Main St. USA, was to Tomorrowland via the Tomorrowland Terrace. There we stopped by Mickey's Star Traders for some official MNSSHP merchandise. We made all our purchases there except for the Passholder Pin commemorating the event, which could only be purchased at Uptown Jewelers or Frontierland Trading Post.

From there we headed to Mickey's Toontown Fair. There were not yet a lot of characters, so we headed to the Trick or Treat trail, which is the trail from Toontown to Tomorrowland that runs behind the Tomorrowland Indy Speedway. It didn't take us long to complete the trail as crowd levels were low. We moved through quickly and got a ton of candy, much of which would end up in the garbage the next day, as neither of us are big candy eaters. (though I love the Laffy Taffy and Sweet Tarts).

After the trail, it was really pouring down. We scooted from Tomorrowland to Main St USA for an early dinner at Casey's Corner. We planned on eating our meal early or before the party, so we wouldn't have to take time away to eat once the party really started rolling.

We had our pick of CMs to approach when we stepped inside; the place was empty. We did notice it started to fill in a bit after we'd ordered. We took our dogs to the indoor seating area next to the bleachers rather than the outside, as it was still raining. Another guest at a table next to us stepped outside for a moment. When she returned, she told us that it had stopped. I'm happy to report that it didn't rain at all, for the rest of the night.

To be continued...

mickey Upcoming Trips mickey

July 2010 - Old Key West

Oct 2010 - Boardwalk Villas

bali's picture

I'm so glad the rain stopped for you at the beginning of the party!

Those low-ticket-selling nights are the best! It gets weird, though, when it feels like you're practically alone in the park! Wink

Good story so far -- looking forward to the rest.

May 2008 CSR mickey

Imagineer's picture

Later I'll post some pics that'll show how empty the park was. It didn't always feel empty however, cause some of the events drew a good deal of people, but the park never felt overcrowded at all, not even for the parade or fireworks.

July 2010 - Old Key West

Imagineer's picture

After Casey's we decided to make our way to stake out a good spot for the parade. The first parade was to start at 815PM, and we had previously thought to go to the second, as it's usually less crowded. After surveying the crowd for an hour or so though, we decided that it wouldn't matter which we went to, crowd-level wise, so we went to the first.

We took the bridge from the hub to Liberty Square and saw the ropes up for the parade....but....no people! biggrin Needless to say, we had our pick of spots, and we chose one right in front of Hall of Presidents and across from Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe.

It was about fifteen minutes before the start of the parade and people were starting to fill in. But we never had anyone hovering too close to us as we enjoyed our ropeside spot.

The first float made it's way to us from Frontierland a few minutes after 815PM. The parade was excellent; the best floats, IMO, being the Haunted Mansion, the Villains, and the Goofy Candy Float at the end.

After the parade, we headed for the Haunted Mansion along with what seemed like hundreds of other guests who had just watched the parade from Frontierland and Liberty Square. The queue moved quickly though, and the HM was bathed in an eerie but beautiful green light. There was a PhotoPass photographer in front, who would take your pic in front of the horseless hearse. (A cool affect was later added to the photo). The queue for the photog was separate from the HM queue, and we did it after our ride-through. At that point, Madame Leota was in front of the HM telling stories to those waiting in the queue.

More to come.

July 2010 - Old Key West

Brad's picture

Imagineer:

I'm really interested to see your photos from this year. Do they look as deserted as Admin's from last year?

I really love the parties for this very reason. Sometimes you practically get the park to yourself. I hope they don't reduce the number next year. There were some empty parties last year and they still added more this year, so I'm optimistic.

Imagineer's picture

July 2010 - Old Key West

Imagineer's picture

July 2010 - Old Key West

Imagineer's picture

The last two pics kind of illustrate how empty the park was, though I don't have any sweeping photos that show a whole wide area completly devoid of people. I saw Admin's pics from one of last years parties that Brad linked to, and that party looked even more empty than ours.

Next I'll post a couple of pics that show some of the 'hard to meet' characters that can be found at MNSSHP.

July 2010 - Old Key West

Imagineer's picture

July 2010 - Old Key West

Imagineer's picture

July 2010 - Old Key West

Imagineer's picture

duplicate post

July 2010 - Old Key West

Imagineer's picture

The photo of Joy waiting for the parade to begin was taken about 10-12 minutes before it was set to touch off. Still very few people around.

July 2010 - Old Key West

cdub's picture

The rain probably helped keep the crowd down a bit too.

Imagineer's picture

cdub wrote:
The rain probably helped keep the crowd down a bit too.

Yes, I think the rain, the fact that it was a Tuesday night, and that it was early in the season all combined to keep the crowds down a bit.

July 2010 - Old Key West

Annie's picture

Those are great photos of Tarzan and Snow White with the dwarves! Amazing to see those dwarves all together!

I'm so jealous you got to hear Madame Leota telling stories -- how cool!

Really enjoying the report so far. And you guys look so cute in your Halloween gear Smile

Imagineer's picture

Annie wrote:
Those are great photos of Tarzan and Snow White with the dwarves! Amazing to see those dwarves all together!

I'm so jealous you got to hear Madame Leota telling stories -- how cool!

Really enjoying the report so far. And you guys look so cute in your Halloween gear Smile

Thanks Annie.

Yes, that's one thing about some of the 'hard ticket' events; you get to see some hard to find characters. We never did wait in the long line to meet Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, but were happy to get a pic of them just as they came out before any guests got to them.

We also got a great pic of us in front of Cinderella's Carriage, but I think it was a PhotoPass pic only; we didn't have the PP photog take one with our camera like we usually do.

July 2010 - Old Key West

SpaceAce's picture

Imagineer wrote:

We also got a great pic of us in front of Cinderella's Carriage, but I think it was a PhotoPass pic only; we didn't have the PP photog take one with our camera like we usually do.

That must have been nice to get on your Anniversary Trip. I'm considering "re-proposing" to DW on this trip, and the carriage has been a consideration for where to do it. Then we could have a photographer right there to capture the moment.

[url=http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/'http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

2010 Beach Club Resort
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2009 CBR/Polynesian

Imagineer's picture

SpaceAce wrote:
Imagineer wrote:

That must have been nice to get on your Anniversary Trip. I'm considering "re-proposing" to DW on this trip, and the carriage has been a consideration for where to do it. Then we could have a photographer right there to capture the moment.

Re-proposing is a great idea! I'm just unsure of the wording, if I were to do it. "Will you stay married to me?" laugh

July 2010 - Old Key West

bali's picture

SpaceAce wrote:
Imagineer wrote:

That's perfect, SpaceAce. What a great idea mickey muchlove

May 2008 CSR mickey