Scrappy & MrHub's January 2016 "Run from the blizzard!" Trip.

Login to post comments
11 posts / 0 new
MrHub's picture
Scrappy & MrHub's January 2016 "Run from the blizzard!" Trip.

Moved this over to the trip report thread as best I could.

Well I'll continue on with our trip report from here.....................

To recap, we were running from the Blizzard of 2016! Left early, around 12:30 Thursday afternoon. Really didn't have any trouble on the roads traffic wise that day or night. The only problem was getting a room for over night. Everyone had the same idea and got on the road early, so all the hotels along 95 were pretty much sold out!

We stopped at 2 Hampton Inns and both were sold out. Luckily the last one we stopped at, the young girl at the desk said to go down the street, cross over 95 and there was a Comfort Inn & Suites and she said they should have a room and they were really nice too, so that's what we get. Ended up getting a King Suite and it was very nice!

They had mentioned tornadoes and such on the radio, but no one said anything when we checked in and there was nothing on the tv, so we didn't worry about it.

Up and early on Friday and on the road. No traffic, a little rain, and got down to the Hampton Inn Orlando/Lake Buena Vista in no time. On the way in to Orlando, Scrappy ask about dinner and she was able to get us a reservation at the Turf Club at SSR. See above post: Turf Club

Went back to the Hampton Inn after Disney Springs and hit the hay, thinking about getting to the Poly tomorrow!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday January 23

Up bright and early, had breakfast at the Hotel (they have a really big buffet breakfast at this Hampton Inn). Got cleaned up and off to the Poly!. We heard from Ken & Jan about 6:22 saying they were on the plane and ready for take off!.

We arrived at the Poly, got valet to take the car and our 75 bags (just exaggerating a little) and a CM met us at the car to walk us in to check-in. We never bypass the check-in because we like interaction with the CM's and we have become friends with some and always stop to say hello.

Well our room was not ready yet, DVC usually isn't this early, so we figured we would hang around the Poly and do some window shopping and such until our room was ready or Ken & Jan got here, which ever happened first. I did notice the all the lamps in the lobby of the Poly have outlets on them at the bases to either plug in a charger or there was a USB plug to for just plugging in your charging cable.

Ken & Jan texted at 9:40 that they had just touched down and were taxiing to the gate. They lucked out and got right on the bus and it left in just a few minutes. They had also received their text the their room was ready. They got a nice 3rd floor room in Aoteara facing the lagoon. They arrived at the Poly around 11:00am. Got checked in at the desk and headed to their room to check it out.

After checking the room out and getting settled a little bit we went over to Kona to see if we could get in early since it was only around noon and our ADR was not until 1:30. No problem, it was a very short wait.

Judy had the Pan-fried Chicken with Coconut and Mango Sauces served with Sticky Rice and Pasta Salad.

I had the Fish Taco - Seared Tilapia with Tomato Salsa and Mango Mayonnaise served in a House-made Shell with Pasta Salad and Smokey Bacon Slaw

I think Ken had the Asian Noodle Bowl - Spiced Beef Broth with Strip Steak, Asian Vegetables, and Rice Noodles

Lunch was great like always.

To be continued.....................

MrHub's picture

After lunch, we hung around a bit and got notice that our room was ready so we headed to our first stay in the DVC studio at the Poly. We got a lake view and had got our request for a 3rd floor in Moorea Longhouse. Here is our view.

We finally got everything settled in our rooms and headed over to the Magic Kingdom. Got there just in time for the parade to be finishing up.

JanJ's picture

Look at that blue sky - the first day is always the best! awesome

alicemouse's picture

oooooh I think I just added Kona to our ADR list for the fall. Also, MrHub wins for best trip report title of the year! laugh

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

After an early morning flight and airplane food, that soup really hit the spot!

The Colonel's picture

I wish I could have run from the storm...31 inches yuck

I love Kona

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

MrHub's picture

We got on some rides, Pirates, Haunted Mansion & Seven Dwarfs, Big Thunder Mt and such.

JanJ's picture

It was very fresh that day but we had loads of fun. clapping awesome

Magic Mirror's picture

Love it so far- your room view looks amazing! Kona is always a good call for lunch but...where is a picture of Jan's food?? biggrin Great observation on the usb and outlet plugs....always good to know where to hook up for a bit of power !!

JanJ's picture

Magic Mirror wrote:
Love it so far- your room view looks amazing! Kona is always a good call for lunch but...where is a picture of Jan's food?? biggrin

Haha! I also had the fish tacos so my meal looked exactly like MrHub's! laugh

Magic Mirror's picture

Thank Goodness Jan! I was starting to worry they wouldn't let you eat! eek eek
The fish tacos look really good........